Author Topic: Slight clarification on the Reg fiasco (and a bit more)  (Read 4564 times)

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
Slight clarification on the Reg fiasco (and a bit more)
« on: September 07, 2006, 07:56:31 pm »
Okay, obviously there have been a lot of complaints about this.  I am posting this thread not to make an excuse, but to explain exactly some of what we were dealing with and my personal opinions.

First off, the hotel was at no point cooperative, IMO.  They screwed around with us right up until con time.  They changed the rules regarding costumes and masks, and double booked the convention space.  I don't blame the wedding we had to share space with, I blame the hotel's horrid ability to keep us informed and not change the rules of the game as it went along.  It seemed like they were playing Calvinball, and we were simply told to keep up.  Before the convention even happened, someone posted to me "this hotel is going to kill us."  All I could do is nod my assent.

Second, yes, registration was AWFUL.  I didn't take the reg position this year because I knew I wouldn't have time to put the effort I did the last two years.  We did not have a committed registration officer until about a month before the convention.  The reg officer knew that he would need X number of people, and was doing his best to try to plan things in advance.  His personnel needs were not met (a failing which will NOT happen next year), which was not helped one whit by the very, very poor layout of the hotel - which may have been one of the major reasons we started with too few people.   When I was told to go help reg, I did so quickly, and we immediately tried to restructure registration to use existing hotel space as best we could to at least somewhat alleviate the registration lines.  Yes, it was too long a wait.  But every staff member who worked registration busted their rear ends to get it done - it is NOT their fault.  Staff and volunteers busted their rears, going so far as to provide water and other relief to needy congoers - as they SHOULD have done given this situation.

Side note:  SHAME ON EVERY ONE OF YOU WHO DID NOT BRING THE PARENTAL CONSENT FORMS!  You know who you are!  It's been in the policies, and it was NOT a new rule.  A lot of the problems that happen at registration are caused by CONGOERS.  Yes, we had failings, and we admit and will work on that.  But I know of no less than two dozen instances where an average of 2 minors did NOT have their consent forms.  This ties up registration volunteers while they try to figure out how to handle the irresponsibility of the offending congoer.  I personally had to handle many incidents of this, and each one ties up someone behind a desk for more than the minute or two it should take to admit someone.  Maybe we should be SHARING the blame, rather than focusing on one thing... Additionally, if I have my way, THIS ENDS.  You forgot your consent form?  NO ENTRY.  PERIOD.  Yes, we were nice and helped you.  But we held up other people because YOU weren't on the ball.  That's not the official rule as of yet, but I pray it becomes one.  Sorry to be harsh, but it's not fair to the ones who DID do their registration correctly.

The schedule and room situation was in constant flux - we were CONSTANTLY trying to adjust to cancellations, demands by the hotel, and other bizarre occurrences that the staff has to adjust to.  So the schedule wasn't 100% accurate.  Yes, we are sorry about that, and it will get better.

Several people have been complaining about yojimbo yelling at them.  I'd like a little more detail, because I know exactly what most of those yojimbo were doing, and it was not "yelling at people" or "shoving them back," as I've heard several people say.  Please, do NOT say scathing things like that unless they are 100% TRUE.  Do NOT embelish things like this, as they are very serious.  Many, many times people very inconsiderately blocked the already too small hallways, completely choking traffic.  These people were asked to move, and frequently, due to the noise, voices had to be raised.  Sorry if you didn't like it, but that's NOT shoving and NOT yelling at people.  Maybe we were trying to make sure we could (1) get people to what they wanted to do, and (2) get the necessary equipment to where it needed to go.  We can't do that when people are posing and chatting clear across the hallways.  Posing and chatting is fine - do it!  Enjoy it!  Have fun!  Just please don't be a traffic hazard, then get mad at the traffic cop who asks you to move.

That being said, to everyone who DID help out, even so much as cooperating when a beleaguered staffer asked you to move, I thank you.  You can complain all you want, but you do not realize exactly how much work each staffer puts into this con.  It's fairly safe to say that many, if not most, staff members put in at least 100-150 unpaid hours into each con, and 50 of those right around con time.  There is a LOT of labor of love going on here, and we're sorry if we're not perfect.  If you want it better, take a hand in making it better - kinda like with voting.  That or please just hold on and enjoy the ride.  We ARE trying.

We love you all!  Honest!  =^x.x^=

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 08:25:27 pm »
i've been to all k-cons and been posting here just as long, i for one can tell when i staff are doing there are DOING  the best they can with what they have, it did seem like the hotel was like the kids in high school who made fun of us for likeing "cartoons" and we do what we can, be ourselfes and have the most fun with the situation given to us
staff we <3 you we <3 you good

before saying anything neg think how many hours did you help out?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 08:27:58 pm »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
before saying anything neg think how many hours did you help out?

THANK YOU!!! =^~_~^=

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline valliegirl

• Catgirl
    • http://valliegirl.elite-otaku.net
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 11:31:10 pm »
Because I had to work this week, I'm just reading this thread right now, but THANK YOU LYLE SOO FREAKING MUCH.

You've just said everything that I've been wanting to say.  

On a note to your side not on the parental consent forms, there we so many people who were insisting we NEVER had the policy on the website which was why the FIRST thing I posted on the general form after the con was the exact place where the policy could be found (both places).  If anyone wants to know why the line was slow at times, you should give a big evil eye to the people who weren't prepared with the consent forms when they came to the con.  

Anyway.  Many hugs to you for this post.
Take a chance 'cause you might grow
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
http://valliegirl.livejournal.com & http://www.myspace.com/valliegirl1013

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 12:01:18 am »
It was never the Yojimbo that yelled at people as far as I saw.  It was some volunteer and just random staff members I'd never seen before.  They acted really arrogant and above the law, but the Yojimbo always treat everyone with respect as far as I've ever seen!

They bring us water and entertain us even though they're hot and in the sun, too.  I may not have been happy or entertained, but they made the effort by goodness!
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 01:39:33 am »
Nowhere does it say that you and your friends have the right to stand in a 10 foot wide circle while talking to each other! I also know that you are not guaranteed the right to SIT DOWN and drop your stuff all over the place when doing so!

As someone who had to run back and forth throughout the convention (when setting up a panel or delivering pocky) nothing annoyed me more than all of the people who were in my way and not moving.

I didn't have to deal with the long lines. I'm lucky enough to have connections in the wee hours between when Friday pre-reg pickup ends and the general lines open in the morning. Sorry to all you guys who were out in the sun but ya know what? I don't care what you went through once you got inside, in the air condition, and cramped my style.

The only people who I truly feel sympathy for are the very small minority that lost their PANEL because they had to wait in the line. I;m not sure if you guys actually exist but the rumors say true. *shrug*
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 12:05:15 pm »
Additionally, if I have my way, THIS ENDS. You forgot your consent form? NO ENTRY. PERIOD.

I agree completely with that one.  It has been a policy at this Convention, and every Convention (both anime and non) that I have ever been to, in multiple different states, for minors to have parental consent forms.

If you can get to the convention, you should be able to bring your paperwork.  If you forget your paperwork, then turn around, go home, and get your consent form.  The convention is three days long, so, unless you are coming from WY or farther away, you should be able to go back home and get your consent form before the convention ends.
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 01:59:02 pm »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"

The only people who I truly feel sympathy for are the very small minority that lost their PANEL because they had to wait in the line. I;m not sure if you guys actually exist but the rumors say true. *shrug*

I would have lost my panel if I had just followed what i was told.

Of course I should have taken care of some things before the con, but I also have a business to run and did not know 100% if I would defiantly have the time to be there until about a month before.   And then I missed going to July meeting ware I was going to pre register and get an artist table.   I went to the last Sunday meeting in August with $100 in my pocket to register and buy a table.  I was told at the Sunday meeting that I cant pre register at a panel discount like I had been told before and no more tables.  But I can register Saturday morning without delay, just cut in front of line and they would send me to operations to register and get my panelist ID.  And then on Thursday I was put on staff and was told I would register sat morning at staff price cut in line and be sent to operations.   It might have gone better if I had got there on Friday but I was packing and doing stuff for my business and did not get to Portland till 11pm Friday night.   So on Saturday morning I go and cut in line and talk to the register desk and they send me the info desk to find operations and the info desk send me to operations and I talked to 10 people and none would make a decision.  I had a truck to unload so I just snuck in and unloaded and set up my stuff and helped set up some rooms.   My status was still up in the air at noon when I cut in line again and said just register me at public price or I will cancel my panel.  They really should have set policies for panelist and late edition staff months before and suck with them.  

As a former Stage Manager in theater and Head Usher for a telethon I had assumed some things would have been in place that just seem obvious to me.  I don’t know how much of the problem was from not having staff to fill positions that were left empty or positions they should have had and the lack of "rehearsal", preperations and communication on the spot.

Von “Known as Last call Dan when other operators and management hated me when I was working Customer service and had a had a 95% resolution rate because I made decisions on the spot that solved the problem and did not cost the company more money” Dan
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 03:18:39 pm »
I just want to add that I tried all I could to advocate for Dan to be able to pay for and get his panelist badge early so he could get to work, but that I was basically told that this year, it had been overlooked to make special provisions for panelists, and that if one was not going to miss one's panel by waiting in line, one ought wait in line. However, everyone in any position of authority with whom I have discussed the subject has concurred that next year, panelists' badges will be housed with those of staff, or at least in some separate pile with some separate process for pickup, rather than with general attendees.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2006, 07:07:09 pm »
*water fall tears*

Please please forgive us for we tried our best.....

I was working the reg tables for 6 hours strait on Saturday then again on Sunday and Monday along with Cat.. we sweated and bled and pleaded for the Otaku gods for sanity over and over again.    

Our Registration Lead was going mad trying to resolve Parental concent issues, reg lines, lost registrations, and the fun one the crazy database age error in pre-reg.

Between my self and several other staff that I know on average we put in 4-5 days of 20 hours awake and 4 hours asleep....

My mind is finally back and functional....
I finally stopped muttering in my sleep:
"can't sleep the con will eat me"
Make the world a better place with kumoricon.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2006, 10:47:48 pm »
@ Rem   I know you tried and admit my inclusion as staff was to late to really do anything about.  I was told one thing the week before the event as if it was a confirmed policy and then on that Saturday no one knew anything about it.   Registration of late addition staff, volunteers and panelist seem such an obvious situation to have been planed out ahead.  It was not really about the cost; I closed my business for 4 days, I spent $200 duplicating some of my equipment and supplies to take on the road, spent another $50 after I got there and knew what more was needed (yey free batteries and cup of Noodles for the kiddies), another $40 would not kill me.  And I did not have the option of waiting in line I had a truck to unload and a driver waiting to leave.

@ Spin I Know you all did your best once it started, I don’t fault any one on there performance at the con, but I think there could have been more preparation and planning.   I never paid attention to the calls for staff or volunteers since I knew what I was already going to do, my panel and help in the Repair station (that had been canceled but then on again once it was realized I was already there with most of what was needed).  I hope this year has a more aggressive recruiting for Volunteers and staff definitive polices on rates and rewards for any one joining right up to the morning of the con.  And I hope reg has a lot more staff and organized better next year with 2,3,4 times as many at the main desk and put a reg leader on a side desk covering the problem cases that held up the main line and put staff, volunteers, panelist, guest and those with a DMV disabled permit at another quick desk at least on the first day.

And a funny thing, as I was setting up some one ran in the room and asked if any one cold help with registration.  I said “I would be happy to help if I can although I’m not registered my self yet” and then he disappeared.  I had no idea how bad the wait line was going back and forth on my business I saw the line but thought it was like 20 or 30 min at most. I wish he would have accepted even if I could not work the reg desk I would have done a few things to make the line go faster.  A couple of things came to mind later that day after hearing how bad it was, I don’t know if any of these were implemented but they seemed obvious at the time.  Starting about 20 feet from the reg desk I would have started asking people to please have there ID, paper work and payment ready (actually I would have told one of the Yojimbo there to do that) then I would have gone from one end of the line to the other pulling out people in wheel chairs, crutches, who walked as bad as me on a long day or otherwise said they had a medical condition and those with babies and sent them to the front of the line.  I would have checked with reg leader about the parental forms my idea is once it was known to be a problem some one should have gone every 20 feet and called out that the forms must be filed out and turned in so if they don’t have them to call home to have a parent bring one or fill out another one.  For those with a parent in line who was dropping them off I might have had blank forms and a clip board.  

Just a few ideas I had at the time.  Some time before the meeting I’m going to talk to some folks more in the know
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2006, 02:27:00 am »
Wait.... there was a panelist registration price?  :shock:

I didn't know that. Hmmm.... that probably would have saved my girlfriend some money.

Well I'm glad I've already got plans for next years panel in the works, I can sign up before 2007 even arrives!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2006, 02:49:43 am »
Quote from: "TomtheFanboy"
Wait.... there was a panelist registration price?  

in the end no there was not.  As I have been told there was one last year and next year but not this year.
Field Marshall Von Dan