Author Topic: Friday Pickup Madness  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Friday Pickup Madness
« on: September 02, 2006, 12:01:17 am »
:shock:
I ended up standing in line for an hour....and as soon as we get near the front they say they are going to close registration with still a line all the way down the hall.

Everyone was about to break out in rants and protests but they extended pick-up tell 10am. I littearlly almost fainted, I got dizzy and my legs were all shaky. We were next in line right as they were gonna close it. And we drove from Salem just tp pick them up, without a room to stay in for the night.

But It was crazy in front of the line when they said they were gonna make everyone go home. People started screeming at the staff working tha pick-up because they kept socializing and people behind you were screaming to get your I.D ready.

I'm glad I didn't stay to see the people who still waited all that time and then got turned away at 10pm. I was safely in my car on my way back to Salem by then. My sister kinda wished we could have stayed and see if mobs would be formed.

:roll:

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Panda

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.theOtaku.com
Friday Pickup Madness
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 07:16:51 am »
The staffers at the registration table were working hard. Poor Chris I though was going to lose his voice from all the shouting of directions he was giving. The staff also had a manditory meeting to attend at 9:30 and from the sound of it some of them didn't make it if they extended the pick up time.

I just figure this registration was a learning experience. Kumoricon is getting bigger and this is one of those growing pains. Next year I am sure they are going to address the issue of how to streamline the badge pick up.

Gail Shimura-Brightbill
theOtaku.com
Site Administrator / Staff Reporter
Gail@theOtaku.com

Offline skwirl

• Oni
Friday Pickup Madness
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 10:21:42 am »
They should take some notes from the Sakuracon staff. They were more efficient and involved less shouting than this registration.

Some feedback for the Kumoricon staff:

Instead of wasting staff manpower by having them patrolling the halls constantly shouting "against the wall!" every 5 minutes, perhaps you could setup stanchions like theaters, airports, and other conventions do to help manage the line. This would keep people closer to the walls without having to constantly shout at them.

With the stanchions in place, you could probably afford to put a couple more staff members up front processing registrations instead of managing the line.

Also, while I do appreciate the extension to 10PM, it would have been nice to cut off the line at the doors at 10PM and register everyone who had made it inside the doors at 10PM. Alternatively, you could have kept the original 9:30PM closing time but stayed till 10PM to process all the people who had made it inside the doors by 9:30PM.

I could only imagine the frustration felt by the people who paid $30 to pre-register online and waited 2 long hours to make it to the head of the line only to be told, "Sorry buddy, it is now 10PM sharp. Come back tomorrow morning and try again". :cry:

Offline katya

• Cabbit
Friday Pickup Madness
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 11:49:13 am »
having to wait at 7 AM the next morning was a scary prospect.
having lost my wallet and ID on the way to the con, staff pittied my assigned guardian and i,  and we actually managed to get our passes past 10 PM.
so in a way, losing the wallet was almost a good thing, as it spared us an early-morning visit to the mile-long line of otaku.

Offline QElderHell

• Sailor Scout
Friday Pickup Madness
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 01:52:49 pm »
ehh the lines sucked.... but i met people in line so it was all good. But streamlining the process would be very very nice for next year

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
Friday Pickup Madness
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 01:53:35 pm »
I got my badge just a few minutes before 9:30 and the woman who gave me my badge started getting really worried when I told her time was almost up. It is a very good thing they extended it half of my group was trapped farther back cause of their last initial.... I must also admit Chris scared the crap out of me when I first got inside.... Although I ended up speaking with him a lot over the next two days. Sorry Chris!
Secrety secrets!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Friday Pickup Madness
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 04:51:16 pm »
the reg people rock, work so hard , i was trying to swickh a reg to another person and got pulled out oif line i was about to not be able to get my bage but hawkeye nioticed and helped they rock
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids