Author Topic: NO METAL PROPS OR AIRSOFT GUNS ALLOWED!!  (Read 22487 times)

Offline QElderHell

• Sailor Scout
NO METAL PROPS OR AIRSOFT GUNS ALLOWED!!
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2006, 11:22:34 am »
Opps double post...

Offline QElderHell

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2006, 11:25:05 am »
Quote from: "EcchiSpice"
Masks - Yes you can wear them while getting a photo snapped.
Bring your masks, wear them, just not when you are moving around in a corridor, hallway, or lobby.

Veils are fine as long as you can see where you are going.

Common areas means anything not in a room ie hallways, lobby.  

Out of doors is outside convention space, and therefore is not affected by this policy.

Other materials - Plastic, wood, cardboard, etc. are all fine. Anything that would collapse when hit (ie aluminum foil or craft foil) are not counted as metal props, and are also fine.

Ed's arm is okay. I look forward to seeing it.

If anyone has a questionable prop, please bring it, and let the Yojimbo see it. We're willing to check the items firsthand.  

With my veil i can see perfectly fine, but its really thick so that, with it tight agianst my face, people cant discern my features at all, save the glowing eyes. Is that still legit?

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2006, 02:55:46 pm »
What about Zabuza from Naruto?

http://www.narutoplace.com/images/2005/11/wallpapers/haku-zabuza-thumb.jpg

My brother (who's a first-time anime con-goer) will be cosplaying him with a cardboard sword.

Looking at the picture, I don't know if you'd count it as a "mask"...it doesn't even go over his eyes.
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2006, 04:31:37 pm »
Alright guys let's break out the cardboard and tin foil, we'll do this the old fashioned way!

But thank you for the heads up. I let Rin Rin know about the mask thing so that she can make an easy way to show her face in the hallways

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2006, 05:03:06 pm »
Masks - Yes you can wear them while getting a photo snapped.
Bring your masks, wear them, just not when you are moving around in a corridor, hallway, or lobby.

Veils are fine as long as you can see where you are going.

Out of doors is outside convention space, and therefore is not affected by this policy.

Other materials - Plastic, wood, cardboard, etc. are all fine. Anything that would collapse when hit (ie aluminum foil or craft foil) are not counted as metal props, and are also fine.

Ed's arm is okay. I look forward to seeing it.

If anyone has a questionable prop, please bring it, and let the Yojimbo see it. We're willing to check the items firsthand.  

As for asking this question, Yamcha, don't think that we staff are so STUPID as to not ask if cosplay and all its splendor are allowed when we write the contracts. Weapons policy was asked repeatedly from the start, as was meeting with the head of security. (Something which the hotel took 3 months to agree with.) Only when we finally met him, did metal weapons become an issue. This just happened to be a week before the con. The HOTEL did not know its own weapons policy, and in fact, had to contact its corporate office this Monday to be sure.

We've done our best to inform not just the hotel, but the entirety of the Janzten Beach area what to expect. I personally walked the entire area to be sure of this. Sometimes, they just don't get it until you shove a boken under their noses.

I'm so glad I used plastic rather than metal  0_o

@tinkeu
AWESOME JOB!!!! xD
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Ruk

• Oni
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2006, 05:39:16 pm »
(ok i hope someone didnt ask this already but i dont feel like searching thru all those posts)

But what if you're costume is rather spikey and protruding? Does that count as a 'weapon' or threatening? And would that be peace bonded?

Offline Sasu-kitty

• Sailor Scout
    • Senshi-Con Alaska
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2006, 05:50:02 pm »
About swords... I just bought one, and I may be able to get the blade removed.  If so, can I do that and just bring the hilt and sheath?  The sheath is wood, just with little metal pieces for decoration on the ends.

That would be awesome if I could.

Plans for Kumori '08
Hei (Darker than Black)
Ichiro (Nerima Daikon Brothers)
Kyon (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu)
Possibly more...

Offline NightBlade

• Sailor Scout
    • http://nightbladesden.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2006, 06:29:13 pm »
Oo; do that to a sword......*faints*
I need a life. Mind if I take yours?

~NightBlade SoulFire

Offline Tinkeu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2006, 06:30:56 pm »
Quote from: "makichan"

@tinkeu
AWESOME JOB!!!! xD

Arigatou! ^_^ Hehe, but you're one of the one's I'm really looking forward to seeing^^
K-con 05-Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy IX
K-con 06-Vincent Valentine, Final Fantasy VII
k-con 07/08-Papparazi!
K-con 09-Tsukasa Amou, Juvenile Orion
             Turk Vincent, Final Fantasy VII
             OroKabuto, Naruto?

Offline Kitsu-kun

• Oni
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2006, 07:02:02 pm »
Um.... I have a keyblade, and it's made out of birch and PVC, but it has a chain on it. Is that ok?
The Anti-Emo

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #60 on: August 30, 2006, 07:15:13 pm »
That means my friend's six foot Sailor Saturn Galive is out correct? *sighs* This is just going to blow over so well with her. X.x Ugh.. I mean, it's part of the whole costume. But, it's obviously not sharp.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline NightBlade

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2006, 07:20:25 pm »
well, you can bring it for inspection *shrugs*

~NightBlade SoulFire

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2006, 08:52:58 pm »
Quote from: "the_wind_the_sea"
That means my friend's six foot Sailor Saturn Galive is out correct? *sighs* This is just going to blow over so well with her. X.x Ugh.. I mean, it's part of the whole costume. But, it's obviously not sharp.

If it's metal..sadly, yes.

Ruk: that'd probably have to be an at con judgment, unless you could show pics.

Sasu: Already helped you, but for the rest of them, I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed.

Kitsu: Helped you as well, I don't see why a chain being attached would make it not allowed..but like I told sasu, I'm not 100% sure on that.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Flatline

• Cabbit
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2006, 09:27:28 pm »
Yes, it's fine. They mean metal blades or major materials. Chains, charms, jewelry, etc. is fine.
For the Emperor!

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2006, 09:50:51 pm »
Quote from: "Tinkeu"
Quote from: "makichan"

@tinkeu
AWESOME JOB!!!! xD

Arigatou! ^_^ Hehe, but you're one of the one's I'm really looking forward to seeing^^

who, mwah? xD
  ahaha! I look forward to seeing you too!!!
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2006, 09:53:21 pm »
I was told that if I actually cosplayd as an old School character from the anime of my youth I'd get props, does this mean my props wont be metal.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline NarutoNoJutsu

• Cabbit
    • http://www.machan.deviantart.com
« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2006, 11:09:18 pm »
I have sheet metal wings-- I suppose those are a no go too?

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2006, 12:07:19 am »
What about metal Naruto headbands?  Is that okay?

And Kakashi, and some other ninjas, they'll have to show their faces when moving around in the hallway and stuff?

Offline anime_fan810808

• Sailor Scout
    • http://animefan810808.deviantart.com/
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2006, 12:25:30 am »
Quote from: "Vondan"
I was told that if I actually cosplayd as an old School character from the anime of my youth I'd get props, does this mean my props wont be metal.

No metal props for you. You'll have to settle for lace ones instead.
For the love of Reita.......BE A MAN!!!

(¯`v´¯)
.`·.¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸¸.·¨¯`·. REITA!!!!

Offline Irate Beldam

• Chibi
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2006, 02:05:40 am »
Quote from: "anime_fan810808"
Quote from: "Vondan"

No metal props for you. You'll have to settle for lace ones instead.

Oooh, laaace~~ <333

*Too tired to make cohearant response.*

:B

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2006, 03:50:43 am »
EchhiSpice - I kind of figured that you guys did ask the question... But I didn't know the whole situation and decided to "place blame" on both parties since I didn't know what really went down... I apologize if I made you or anyone upset by saying that, it's just my tendancy to consider multiple possibilities which is a bit of a personality quark of mine.

Now that I've learned it's the hotel's "fault," I'll retract my statement about the con not asking the question and just shake my head that the hotel didn't know their own policy and took as long as they did to bother figuring it out for a client... Which is bad in my opinion.

Oh and considerable thanks for posting the information that you did, it's helped clarify things for me and other people.
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2006, 04:15:36 am »
I suppose I should pay attention to this thread on a more regular basis, eh? >_>

@Ruk: If your costume has a good deal of spikey and/or dangerous protrusions you'll definately want to have it checked out at the convention. If it does have the potential to harm someone I would recommend covering the points, even if you think it's unlikely, and just taking off the coverings for photos. I know it's easy to accidentally hit people with props/costumes in such crowded situations (try a Cross Punisher!), so it never hurts to be safe!

@Aurora: Judging from the ruling as worded that may be a subject for debate if it's just a mouth-covering style mask, but probably not a big issue. It seems the main problem the hotel has with it is the liability of vision reduction while moving and complete obscuration of the face. If it's a problem I'm sure a yojimbo will (kindly) ask you to reveal your ninja selves, but feel free to don the mask during a photo op! (Just don't move, heh)

(Note: I am not an official source, just a yojimbo offering my thoughts on the rules. If anyone who knows better knows I am wrong PLEASE correct me!)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2006, 08:40:25 am »
Quote from: "kylite"
my guess in regards to masks is the whole terrorist threat thing, everyones up in arms over this and the effect is it ruins a bit of fun for alot of people.  

Please understand that this is the hotels ruling and not the cons. We feel just as bad about it as you do.

I have been copying the info posted on the front page of the website onto my club's forum for a while now, including these new rules.  About half of my friends were going to wear some sort of a mask, and are now upset about this desicion.  One of them has even stated that this was probably not the best hotel to have the con at.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Tinkeu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2006, 08:44:11 am »
Yeah, but it's not like they exactly knew about this policy until Monday... Can't really change it then.... Well, Live and Learn I suppose, I suess it's just something to take into consideration next year when choosing the place....
K-con 05-Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy IX
K-con 06-Vincent Valentine, Final Fantasy VII
k-con 07/08-Papparazi!
K-con 09-Tsukasa Amou, Juvenile Orion
             Turk Vincent, Final Fantasy VII
             OroKabuto, Naruto?

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2006, 09:35:13 am »
back to another stupid question ^^;

Miroku's staff, its a wood pole, with a metal ring on the top with metal loops. should i just bring it and OK it with staff?

ALSO, for further cons... convention centers are far more lax when it comes to props and such, maybe we can invest in the convention center up in portland, it may come in handy for us.
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2006, 10:19:27 am »
Quote from: "Washougal_Otaku"
Quote from: "kylite"
my guess in regards to masks is the whole terrorist threat thing, everyones up in arms over this and the effect is it ruins a bit of fun for alot of people.  

Please understand that this is the hotels ruling and not the cons. We feel just as bad about it as you do.

I have been copying the info posted on the front page of the website onto my club's forum for a while now, including these new rules.  About half of my friends were going to wear some sort of a mask, and are now upset about this desicion.  One of them has even stated that this was probably not the best hotel to have the con at.

What's your website club's forum? I know you said once but I forget

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline NightBlade

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2006, 11:54:43 am »
I say bring the staff, if all else fails you can just pose with it outside your room and then leave it in there. Better to bring it and find out no then to leave it and find out yes.

ask Kylite, he might be able to clear it up a bit more than I would, I'm just a nooblet to this whole thing pretty much >>

~NightBlade SoulFire

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2006, 12:05:37 pm »

I say bring your stuff - it would be a shame not to -- - I know I am always impressed by the awesome props. Also, it is going to be a NICE WEEKEND (okay, a little warm on Sat. 8)  ) and beautiful weather makes for beautiful outdoor photos!!!

Con Forecast from weather.com:

Sat. Sep 2 - Sunny 94°/59°
Sun. Sep 3 -  Mostly Sunny 88°/57°
Mon. Sep 4 -  Sunny 85°/57°

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline NightBlade

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2006, 12:43:55 pm »
*woots*

~NightBlade SoulFire

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2006, 01:30:03 pm »
**UPDATE**

After talking with the hotel, the concensus is that if hotel security asks you to remove your mask, then please do so.  They mainly want to be able to see people's faces when they are in the main lobby.  When you're downstairs, or by the ballrooms, you shouldn't need to worry about the mask issue.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Flatline

• Cabbit
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2006, 02:15:43 pm »
Once again, Miroku staves are fine. The main concern here would be a metal pole, a sword, or anything primarily made out of metal.
For the Emperor!

Offline Doom Bunny

• Cabbit
    • http://lan.skinned.net/newforums
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2006, 02:18:11 pm »
Quote from: "EvilMonkey"
**UPDATE**

After talking with the hotel, the concensus is that if hotel security asks you to remove your mask, then please do so.  They mainly want to be able to see people's faces when they are in the main lobby.  When you're downstairs, or by the ballrooms, you shouldn't need to worry about the mask issue.

This makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I like that they were willing to work with you guys some more.

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2006, 02:21:47 pm »
That's a relief. I'm sure many people are going to be happy that the policy's a little more relaxed now.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2006, 02:42:15 pm »
Quote from: "Shiv"
That's a relief. I'm sure many people are going to be happy that the policy's a little more relaxed now.

No kidding - - a ninja without a mask... that's just... wrong...

This should be changed on the homepage original post.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2006, 02:49:55 pm »
yea the cosume i sliced my finger open making wont be worn cuz it cvers the face too much
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Dark-hobo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2006, 07:46:33 pm »
I am just going to say this and a bit more, bring ALL your props whether they are allowed or not. You can wear them outside with no problems. Also about a metal sword with sheath. If you can make it so the sword CANNOT be drawn then you can just say that the sword is merely a prop sheath and has no blade. If you removed the blade that would also work as it would no longer be a metal prop. From what I have been told they have said no metal props so yes the sheet metal wings would probably wouldn't be allowed. BUT if you covered them with something not metal then you might be able to get away with it... well yeah. Vincents arm should be ok like eds arm. The main thing that I am saying basically though is bring all your props, banned or not. Storing them in your room is ok as is wearing them outside (once out there you are not our business). Oh yeah vondan the K throwing star thing hsould be ok as they are not really weapons. Like I said though bring them just in case and if you get called on them then just comply with their demands completely and stop wearing them.

Guys I know that the hotel is being unreasonable but it is a corporate entity and thus are afraid of stupid people sueing them over stupid **** they did on the hotel's property. They have to bend to public will which right now is fear of terrorism. So don't be too hard on them and please do not be hard on the staff. We gave you as much warning as we had and are trying to help you through this by letting you know some loopholes and telling you if some of your props are ok.

Again if anything in my post is not true then a someone with more knowledge than me please correct me.

" We must run from this... this hobo, this hobo that is dark" - General Volgun "The hobo Hunter" Opwusa

-goggle squad member

Put your hands on your hi

Offline Shiv

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2006, 02:05:13 am »
Aye, if it's not obviously bad, bring it. We'll check it out and the worst thing that can happen is you won't be able to use it this time around, but you at least tried! Otherwise we'll peacebond it and send you on your merry way.

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2006, 03:28:05 am »
That's what I figured the rule was, no masks in the common areas, but, again, the extra clarification is nice. To say that all metal is banned is incorrect... Jewelery is pretty much safe, the foils SHOULD be safe (tin and aluminum) and if done correctly, can make amazing props.

It's not really a bad/terrible ruling, it's completely understandable that the hotel wants to safeguard people... I do feel bad for the people who spent a long time on metallic props going by the con rules.

Anyways, have fun y'all!
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2006, 09:43:39 am »
Quote from: "Eternal Yamcha"
...the foils SHOULD be safe (tin and aluminum) and if done correctly, can make amazing props.

That reminds me of this pic -  is that not the shiny-est sword ever???

Larger pic here:
http://bellethecat.com/images/shiny.jpg

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2006, 10:01:46 am »
I've updated the policy a bit on the main page. We went with the harshest version, hoping we could loosen the hotel up a bit as we explained what was actually involved. It's better to tell people that things are now allowed than to restrict more and more over time.

I'll announce the latest greatest at the opening ceremonies, and all Yojimbo and other staff will be informed.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.