Author Topic: Help with hair dye!  (Read 2343 times)

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
Help with hair dye!
« on: August 28, 2006, 10:08:09 pm »
I need to dye my hair before this weekend.  I don't won't the color permanent (obviously) and I do not particularly want it to last more than a few days.  At first I bought the temporary spray-on kind but it washed out much too easily and I'd prefer not to be running around at the con with dye streaking down my face!  X_x  Again, I'd like a dye which lasted a few days, but I would be okay if it lasted a week or two.

I'm extremely paranoid because I've never dyed my hair before and I've seen some abjectly awful mishaps (my cousin's hair turning bright orange, my friend's hair falling out.)  So I came to the aid of all experienced cosplayers to ask for any suggestions on brand names!  Thank-you very much!

:shock:  :?  :wink:
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)
2009-Princess Peach (Nintendo)
2010-Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd)
2011- ~Undertaker~ (Kuroshitsuji)

Offline IvoryxIllusions

• Cabbit
    • Icon by: Yureteru~.
Help with hair dye!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 02:28:44 am »
Well, most of all, it depends what color you're looking to do.  I...would never recommend any kind of spray-in coloring because it tends to look fake and clump hair, giving a dry look with an even ickier texture. ;X  

For semi-permanents that don't last long, you can only darken your hair with them, not lighten.  Alot of times-at least for me, they've never quite washed out all the way and the colors have had to be dyed over or grown out to go away fully.  If you're looking to go lighter, only permanent colors will work or if you want an  extreme color[blue, pink, green, etc.] you -have- to bleach your hair first to get the color to turn out noticably unless you're starting from an already light color.[light blonde]  And even when you have light hair and use the more extreme shades[purple, blue, etc.], they tend to take a while to wash out fully-actually, I've never had one wash out all the way.  Most have had to be dyed over to go away fully.  

I wouldn't be too scared about dying hair though.  More often than not, it's okay.  Just don't dye far from your natural shade and you're less likely to have errors. <3  Or...go to a professional, so you get the look you want for sure, because sometimes, dying hair at home is like trial and error. XD;;  

BEST THING TO DO 100%:  Get a wig next time.  <3  That way, it'll look nice and you won't have to worry about messing up your nice hair in the first place!
-

No -sleep- to what?!

Brooklyn. ;D

Offline lurkingpuppy

• Sailor Scout
Help with hair dye!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 10:16:36 am »
Okay....Thanks a lot!  I am looking to darken my hair, not lighten, so that's good I suppose.  -.-''

Next time I will get a wig.  I bought one for my other cosplay, but...x.x

I'll just go buy the semi-permanent kind.  Better to have it stay in too long than not long enough, and I guess I wouldn't mind having my hair darker for awhile.  ^.^''

Anyway, thank-you!  :) xD
2006-Kanna (Inuyasha)
2007-L (Death Note)
2008-Rem (Death Note)
2009-Princess Peach (Nintendo)
2010-Mrs. Lovett (Sweeney Todd)
2011- ~Undertaker~ (Kuroshitsuji)

Offline IvoryxIllusions

• Cabbit
    • Icon by: Yureteru~.
Help with hair dye!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 12:59:15 am »
Hecka! 8D  Yeah, going darker is so much easier than lightening. <3  Good luck with the coloring though and I hope it turns out awesomely!

Welcome much! <33
-

No -sleep- to what?!

Brooklyn. ;D

Offline riverspree

• Chibi
    • http://www.kitzerkief.deviantart.com
Help with hair dye!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 02:05:24 am »
http://www.kumoricon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=917&highlight=

just so i don't have to retype,
meh lazy i know..... :/

my advise goes the same for darker colors too. I could probably give the location of one near you but since you are in my mind you should look up the local yellow pages in the back by the pocky and yaoi party......  :twisted:
Kumo 2007 Cosplays
Aya Natsume & Natsumi Tsujimoto
We'll just see how well River can keep these two names straight...