Author Topic: The Con Forecast  (Read 4992 times)

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
The Con Forecast
« on: August 21, 2006, 03:26:15 pm »
As many of you may or may not know, I'm a bit of a weather fan. Well, I've got friends in semi-high places and a few that many of you who watch KPTV and KOIN news might know (Mark Nelsen, Drew Jackson and Jim Little) well, even though we all wont be outside a bunch, I'm sure many of us are planning to go outside for photo ups and to travel to local eateries... So I've employed the services of other weather freaks in our area to help keep you guys on the ball related to the convention forecast... Here's how it's looking.

While we've had a warm and dry summer thus far, some of the computer models are trying to bring a trough over our area for Convention Weekend. The computer models have over-exaggerated the severity of both troughs and ridges over the past few weeks... Which could be good news. If the models are completely correct at this point (with somewhere below 5% accuracy for the time period we're forecasting for) then we might see cooler temperatures, cloudiness, a chance of showers or thunderstorms.

But, again, they have been a little off so it wouldn't surprise some people I've asked if the temps just drop a little bit, to around 80 and maybe morning clouds and afternoon sunshine.

If I had to make a forecast, I'd say we're looking at temps in the 70s with morning clouds and mostly sunny afternoons... But I am putting very, very little faith into my forecast right now.

I'll keep you all up to date as more information comes in and we get closer to the convention. All I know is that I don't want showers or thunderstorms... Especially thunderstorms... I wouldn't be able to enjoy them.
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline PinqFuu

• Sailor Scout
    • pinqcouture
The Con Forecast
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:49:55 pm »
Ooh, I hope it's pleasant out, I'm not going to be wearing a coat, and I get cold fast. So I'm hopeful for your 70+ degrees forecast
It's hard being pinq.

Offline Irate Beldam

• Chibi
The Con Forecast
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 03:59:06 pm »
I'd laugh if it was cloudy for Kumorion.

: D

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
The Con Forecast
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 04:00:50 pm »
heh that would be good
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Kouta

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/yukasumire
The Con Forecast
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:14:45 pm »
I just dont want it to be windy like it was at sakuracon outside... that was... cold.

Offline oishiidesuyo

• Chibi
The Con Forecast
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 04:29:30 pm »
thanks for posting such a helpful topic. :3 honestly, i hadn't put much thought into weather until now ...
[size=9]FOOL! two swords and a hat don't make a samurai!!![/size]
http://htttp://www.shiroikaze.deviantart.com

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
The Con Forecast
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 05:09:02 pm »
I forecast about 74 degrees with recirculated currents, carpeted floors and flourescent lighting.

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
The Con Forecast
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 05:44:38 pm »
I just hope for two things: no rain and not REALLY hot. My costume gets hot real quickly so when I'm outside it's going to suck if it's hot <.<
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Irate Beldam

• Chibi
The Con Forecast
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 05:48:18 pm »
Quote from: "Antares"
I forecast about 74 degrees with recirculated currents, carpeted floors and flourescent lighting.

...Snort. xDDD

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
The Con Forecast
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 08:19:50 pm »
No rain please, me costume is ALL white.
No heat would be nice either, Ill already be sweatig under my wig.  :P

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
The Con Forecast
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 02:39:04 am »
Well there is SOME good news in this update. The National Weather Service has a trough (a dip in the jet stream) move over us Tuesday and bring us a chance of showers for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. A couple sources say that the temps for those days drop into the 60s.

What all this means is that the forecast for the con looks a little brighter and maybe warmer. But don't hold your breath people, modern meteorological equipment can't predict that far in advance with decent accuracy. The slightest change could bring 60s and rain for the convention.

I'll keep ya'll updated periodically.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
The Con Forecast
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2006, 09:05:16 am »
Right now I'm just hoping for something between mid 60s to low 70s and partialy cloudly to mostly cloudly.  I like the cold weather.

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
The Con Forecast
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2006, 09:15:24 am »
kumori with a chance of ninjas

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
The Con Forecast
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2006, 09:20:24 am »
cloudy would be fitting.  remember kumori = cloudy
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline miaki

• Cabbit
The Con Forecast
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2006, 11:02:05 am »
i'm kinda hoping for cooler weather cus in both costumes i'm wearing are both long sleeve, tho one is a turtle neck. eother way i'm gonna die inside the hotel from heat!
what happens, happens
visit My Deviant Art Account

Kumoricon 06:
Day 1 - Killua (HunterXHunter)
Day 2 - Haruhi (Ouran Host Club)
Day 3 - Shinsengumi person (my traditional K-con outfit, ever since 03) or Tetsu (Peacemaker Kurogane)

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
The Con Forecast
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 03:31:43 am »
Rod Hill on KATU has Saturday and Sunday (I do believe) on the 10 day trend. He's pushed the rain to around mid-week, Tuesday to Thursday... Then Friday to Sunday it's going to warm from the 70s to the 80s. So the con is looking sunny-ish and in the 80s.

Of course, again, I must stress that we have like, very little accuracy right now. I think that that'd be the best situation... Considering this summer, the weekends have been abnormally warm (it's the weekends and the two days surrounding them that we've seen the hottest temps.)

Offline TohmaSeguchi

• Sailor Scout
The Con Forecast
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 01:36:11 pm »
I hope it isn't too warm....one of my costumes' is made of pleather that doesn't breathe..*sigh* Plus I have wigs for both of my costumes...(see sig)
-Seguchi-san
Kumoricon 2009:

Yuy Heero - Gundam Wing
Rider - Fate/Stay Night
Kanda Yuu - D Gray Man

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
The Con Forecast
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2006, 02:43:47 pm »
I'm starting to feel more confident in my prediction, though from the looks of things, the temperatures for the con will be closer to 80 than 70. The threat of rain has been pushed up to Wednesday/Thursday where temperatures will be in the 60s... But starting Friday, we'll be rebounding both temperature wise and well... Cloudlessness wise. It's looking to be a pretty good forecast for the con.

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
The Con Forecast
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 10:48:52 pm »
Well... As I told a few people today at the meeting "with how this summer has worked, cool to mild weeks and hot weekends, I wouldn't be surprised to see the temps in the 80s, maybe 90s for the convention."

Well, the accuracy level is rising and KPTV, KATU and the NWS (National Weather Service) are all saying a rise in the temps... After a cool week, the two news stations are saying 90s for Saturday and Sunday... KPTV says 95 degrees for both days!

So, it's looking like it's going to be a hot weekend... I feel bad for many people. I'm going to assume that the NWS is going to issue a Heat Advisory... They don't have their advisory up right now... But just remember simple things... Stay indoors as much as possible, don't do streneous activities if it can be helped and keep hydrated, drink plenty of water.

The forecast can still change, but knowing how this summer has worked thus far, warm to hot weekends... I won't really bank on the forecast changing.