Poll

Wigs for cosplay?

I avoid them.
2 (22.2%)
If I need too.
7 (77.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: August 15, 2006, 08:41:09 pm

Author Topic: Wig Help  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Wig Help
« on: August 15, 2006, 08:38:16 pm »
Okay, I have a wig for my Princess Serenity cosplay, but the bangs bug me cause there's like none at all.

I have a long blonde wig that I bought first, and was crap, So i had to try again. Does anyone know how to cut up the first wig to make bangs to add on to my second wig?

I was thinking of like glueing it onto a thin yellow headband somehow (not sure how) so i can just place it ontop of my other wig without messing with it and possibly ruining it.

Currently I dont have any picture my my wig, but heres what it need's to look somewhat like.

The wig I am using has it's hairline go right across right where the top of the moon shape her bangs make is.

Oh, might as well ask.
Also how do you shove all your hair under wig cap so its not bulky and the wig still fits, I bought my wig caps and tried them with a wig and it was horrible ><  My sister thinks I should braid my hair and then pin it across my head before putting the cap on.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
Wig Help
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 09:15:29 pm »
you can always contact a stylist to put in some short extensions in the front of your wig... either that or you can ask someone that deals with wigs to do that for you *shrugs* iunno
as for your hair, try it while it's wet. when you get out of the shower, slick it back into a ponytail (or pigtails) and put the cap over it. Make sure to use hair pins for the wig to stay on your head.
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
Wig Help
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 10:21:27 pm »
Hmm... I can't think of any brilliant ways to get hair from one wig to another... Usually I try to get a wig that has more hair than I need and then cut it down and style it to how I want. If you get a picture of your wig up, I'm sure there's someone who could help you out. My only advice is to look for a way to use what's already there on the wig you're actually using.

As far as getting your hair under a cap: (I know cause I have a ton of long, naturally curly hair!)

I usually put my hair in pig tails at the base of my neck (as low as I can get them) and then clip the hair up (like an up-do) with those open-shut hair clips that click. These in fact: http://www.kidsdomain.com/craft/cegif/hairclips.jpg
(I use those cause they aren't pointy and won't damage the wig cap)

I just do this till no hair is left hanging and then put the cap on. I try to spread the hair out kinda, so no place is lumpy.

That's just the method I invented, hope it helps.
Sora - KHII (Regular Outfit, Kingdom Key)
Kaiba - Yugioh (Battle City)

Offline lucrezia03

• Cabbit
    • http://home.graffiti.net/nimue1540:graffiti.net/
Wig Help
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 09:20:46 am »
For the bangs of the wig I would suggest making your own wefts out of the hair from your first wig. Here is a tutorial on how to do that from Katie Bair's website:

http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_makingwefts.html

As for the wig cap, when my hair was long I used to twist small sections of my hair and pin them to my head with bobby pins and lots of gel. Then put the wig cap on and it should control your hair all day long. Hope that helps!

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
Wig Help
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 09:27:15 am »
I think wigs are very important part of the costume, but i rather not wear one (very hot, and it never wants to sit right). So the only solution is the change your hair or find characters that have the same or similar hair style to cosplay.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
Wig Help
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 01:13:22 pm »
You could also add bangs to the other wig depending on how thick it is by parting the hair and pulling the fibers you want to use as bangs forward, then use a blow dryer to mold the fibers so they're going in the right direction.

I've done this before with godiva wigs (what a pain!! I'd suggest trimming the fibers after parting them if it's this long). The trick I think is to just part a small amount of fibers first, pull it forward, mold it, see how it looks, then repeat the process until they appear to be how thick you want them to be.

Also, be very careful when blowdrying not to melt the fibers. I usually give it about 5seconds of heat, followed by a cool blast (if your blowdryer has this).