Author Topic: Semi new to cons  (Read 5711 times)

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
Semi new to cons
« on: April 08, 2006, 01:42:44 pm »
Hey hey, so this is going to be my second con Ive gone to. (Sakura con 06 being the first) And I was wondering if there is any tips from the con hardend? Tips, Ideas, things that everyone should do at least once? I'll try anything once!

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Semi new to cons
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 07:16:16 pm »
First welcome to the Kumoricon forums, the healthy alternative to reality. ^_^

At Kumoricon we have a Dating Game (I don't know if it's at other cons).  I highly recommend going to this.  I've been to it every year and it is hilarious.  Go to this unless it conflicts with something else you really want to see.

I also recommend going to the AMV show.  The first time I saw these I was hooked.  After the contest they usually show an hour or hour and a half of random AMVs.

The Dance.  You just have to go to it once just to see what it's like.

And I'll leave the rest for other people to comment on.
(Sorry, tired.  I usually write a little more than this)

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
Semi new to cons
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 09:10:59 pm »
There are many things to keep in mind when con going.

1) know where your con badge is at all times
(if you are lucky to have a con badge that you can open up and stuck stuff in use is as a walet of sorts.  I always keep my room key, money and ID so I know it is always around my neck when I need it. )

2) Plan on bathing every day at least once because the otaku funk can creap up on you with out knowing it.

3) Fed your self! bring a cooler and keep some drinks and food stuff and then remember to eat!  Eatting at the con can be very very expencive sadly so always bring food for your self and snacks that are not pocky.

4) Know who your rooming with and creating a message board in the room helps.

5) Keep a loose scheduall because events and workshop will change but do make a schedual so you can participate in the fun things you want.

6)Keep your con book handy with a pen and when you find a friend have the write their name and email/ph#/roomnumber so when the con ends you can find them later.

7) volunteer just for a bit so you can get to know the people who put on the con so you can feel apart of the family.  

8) For cosplaying always bring a sewing kit, making tape, and staper.

9) for taking pictures use disposable cameras and go crazy then up load them for all to see on the forums

10) Learn the proper way to glomp from the "pocky club"
Make the world a better place with kumoricon.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Semi new to cons
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 09:25:37 am »
I just thought of this for food.

I would recommend buying food that won't spoil like Cup Ramen, cereal bars, and other things.  The coffee makers hotels provide can easily be used as a way to heat water.

I'm not sure if the hotel has a mini-fridge or not in it's rooms but you can take a chance on it.  If not, use the ice container, fill it with some ice (in the provided bag), and place some perishable food underneath it.  Note that the ice container is not large so only one or two items will actually fit.

Oh, and bag a small meal for the first night like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or something.  It should last through the first day so there's a meal right there.  You'll probably have to spend some money on food but if you pack some food ahead of time you won't have to buy as much.

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
Semi new to cons
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 03:15:29 pm »
Proper way to glomp? Pocky club? I must know more.
Using the coffee machine to heat water for cup ramen and the ice bucket for perishables? Wow these are the tricks I need to know. Thanks

I'll be sure to check out the amv room and stop by the dating game. Dance? Yeah I = fool dancer. I think I'll save myself and everyone else the embarassment.

Offline PezCat

• Catgirl
Semi new to cons
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 05:47:14 pm »
Here's a tipoff that has helped me for the last two years:  If you have a cooler, or know someone who does, bring it for your hotel room, and load it with juice or water.  Soda is nummy, but trust me, you'll want something that does more than taste good with all that running about.  The containers of apple juice I had the last two years have been absolute LIFESAVERS when it came to getting something inside me that wasn't pure sugar and carbonation.

PezCat
Sixty pounds lighter, just as awesome.
2K3-2K7: Various staff, primarily RPGs and Registration
2K12: God only knows...

=^..^=

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
    • Angel Sorrows: The Official Tainted Angel Website (OS)
Semi new to cons
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 03:43:36 pm »
I'd say the panels would be a good place to start.  Join a few or just come visit some that are interesting.  I wouldn't go alone, so either find some friends or just go with a group at the con.  I'll be in the artist alley selling my art if you ever need to talk to anyone.  

I'd also say the ball would be a top priority for go to for the con.  It's always good every year.  I went to the one at Sakura con two years ago and it was fun.... untill after the ball but last year was even better.  Come join us if you like.  

It'll be fun!  Just hang out, ask some questions at the info booth, check out our amv contest or cosplay contest and just get involved.  There are tons of things to do.
Parents; be good to your kids.... they'll be choosing your nursing home.

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
Semi new to cons
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 01:35:43 pm »
Um come and get a hug from me the hug a bot 5000 also just don't get stuck in one area.... my first con i ever went to i spent the whole time in the game room
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Pocket Ninja

• Sailor Scout
Semi new to cons
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 11:40:03 pm »
Quote from: "spindrift"

8.) For cosplaying always bring a sewing kit, making tape, and staper.

That's a REAAALLYY good tip.
Kumoricon! Wahoo!

(order of cosplay might change)
Saturday- Rikku (FFX)
Sunday- Tifa (FF:AC)
Monday- Mana-sama (maybe)

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
First Con Ever, of Anything!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 08:41:43 pm »
I am reading these suggestions, and some are very good. Things I hadn't even thought of. No bathing everyday wasn't one of them! But I have a few questions to ask about my being 42. I think I am going to be a lot older than most con-goers. Is that going to be a problem for the other con-goers?

I guess I am asking how to act at one of these things. I saw a Japanese TV of a otaku tour group, and it looked like subdued madness. Then I saw this glomping video, and it looked like complete madness. I am hoping just to meet other fans and learn something. Hopefully a lot of something.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Dustin H

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/dustinph
Semi new to cons
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 07:32:07 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"

Could you elaborate on what "The Dance" involves? I'm curious

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Semi new to cons
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 10:00:23 pm »
Quote from: "Dustin H"
Quote from: "Negima"

Could you elaborate on what "The Dance" involves? I'm curious

Let's see, there's a bon fire, usually a human sacrifice or two...
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Anyway, the dance is... well, a dance.  There's a large dance floor for everyone along with some tables for people to rest at in the back.  There's a healthy mix of techno, anime, jpop, and other types of music that's played.  Several times you'll see people trying to form a conga line which usually end up pretty long.  Lots of times you'll see people demonstrate one skill or another on the dance floor.  I remember watching two guys have a mock-fight dance thing (don't worry, there was no contact whatsoever but security had them surrounded).
Also, since I don't know your age, be aware there is a curfew for minors but the dance goes past the curfew (I think last year it ended at 2 and the curfew was 12).

Chances are I'm forgeting something but that's just some of the things "The Dance" can offer.

Offline rosaryblue

• Sailor Scout
Semi new to cons
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 06:42:50 pm »
Like, post-dance human ritualistic gatherings of a proclivious(?), albeit, 'suggestive' nature? x)

"I work with models.  Plastic models."