Author Topic: Manga in the Funny Pages?!  (Read 6080 times)

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
Manga in the Funny Pages?!
« on: June 15, 2006, 09:48:35 am »
Hey guys has anyone gotten a chance to read the funny pages in the Sunday Oregonian lately? They have parts of a manga on the back page, I forget the name of the strip but it is about a ferret that was once a princess or something.  I am not sure if they have this strip in the daily papers but I was excited to see it a few weeks ago!

Offline Penumbra Shade

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:38:08 pm »
It's called 'Peach Fuzz', a sunday-only comic that made it's debut in The Rising Stars of manga, and also has a manga series. It and Van Von Hunter, (another RSOM winner, with it's own manga and webcomic) it have been syndicated in  several newspapers, though it was the only one to make it to the Oregonian. I believe that it's been going on for some months now, but maybe that's just me.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 03:50:19 pm »
Is that the same name that was used in Ai Yori Aoshi, for the ferret? Man I forget now. It sounded like a historical name.

Not sure if it's worth $1.50 just for that. May be.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 05:02:01 pm »
its been there for a while ii remeber negima posted about it when it started(no idea where the thread is and or was ...?)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 09:37:40 pm »
@superjaz3p
The thread might have been deleted when the forum hiccuped.

Anyway, I remember reading an article awhile ago where lots of newspapers agreed to try showing pages of manga.  I think it had something to do with it being an experiment to get more kids to read the paper even if it's just the comics.  And like Penumbra Shade mentioned, it's just Peach Fuzz and Van Von Hunter whose work is being shown.
I can't remember when they started doing this.  I almost want to say back in late Fall 2005.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 09:42:52 pm »
If Negima started the thread then yes, it got lost in that strange hiccup that deleted Negima's account. (Sorry Negima!)
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2006, 02:54:27 am »
It's worth the $1.50 because you get more than just the manga, you get some good comics... Garfield namely.

I remember reading the strip a few months ago and immediately thought "Wow... I don't know if this is a good thing."
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 08:10:44 pm »
It's going to turn most folks off immediately because it's a continuing story that most casual comic-goers are not going to dedicate patience and memory to.

Sad facts. I know I'll read it though.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 12:28:18 am »
Quote from: "guspasho"
If Negima started the thread then yes, it got lost in that strange hiccup that deleted Negima's account. (Sorry Negima!)

No worries.  I was just shocked when it happend and at first thought it was a prank or something.

Offline Penumbra Shade

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 04:56:02 pm »
@Pie Row Maniac: It's for that reason that I believe that Van Von Hunter would have been the better choice--it started as a webcomic, (made on a weekly basis) and was funny enough to make you read it each week...

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2006, 05:54:49 pm »
i have to agree with a girl i talked to at work, who said why not azumanga daioh?

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2006, 08:45:51 pm »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
i have to agree with a girl i talked to at work, who said why not azumanga daioh?

I think the main reason for this was to promote American manga.

But yeah, I agree with that.  Azumanga would've been a great choice.

Offline leashy

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/leashychan
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 05:09:49 pm »
Quote from: "Eternal Yamcha"
It's worth the $1.50 because you get more than just the manga, you get some good comics... Garfield namely.

I get garfield e-mailed to me every day =D

Honestly though, I get Sunday papers for the coupons so they really do pay for themselves! ^^

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 10:02:49 am »
Quote from: "leashy"
Quote from: "Eternal Yamcha"

I get garfield e-mailed to me every day =D

Honestly though, I get Sunday papers for the coupons so they really do pay for themselves! ^^

damn strait, when i did the grosery shoping i would say have a coupon for a 1.00 off of somthing (pop hot dogs ect) then i'd use a double coupon then i'd use it for albertons where its cheaper thats how i've gotten a whole pakage of oreos cookies for a .25

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 01:11:09 pm »
@super Great job!

I think it would be cool the have manga and stuff in comics just because it gets more people reading it. If its is only coming out every sunday and they arepushing a story then its gonna be crap.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.