Poll

Should I cut and dye my hair for a Pokemon cosplay or get a wig?

Yes.
4 (22.2%)
No.
3 (16.7%)
Do whatever you wanna.
11 (61.1%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: May 25, 2006, 12:27:24 pm

Author Topic: Butchering your hair for Cosplay...  (Read 6076 times)

Offline nonomi_ikari

• Sailor Scout
    • http://fionarea.deviantart.com
Butchering your hair for Cosplay...
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:27:24 pm »
Yo! I'm going to cosplay as Koujiro/James from Pokemon, and I HATE[/b][/u] wigs...My hair is long, almost to my butt, naturally orange/red and is cut pretty close to what Prince Seeu from Planet Ladder's looks like...Should I cut it and dye it ['Cause I also want a change, and like Koujiro/James's hair...>>;;...]

So...Should I? I'll be getting pictures of my hair up soon, hopefully...

Offline Kouta

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/yukasumire
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 12:45:56 pm »
This is all just personal preference, but I'd go with a wig. I love long hair on people and wouldn't ever cut mine for a cosplay... but thats me not you :D

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 01:00:49 pm »
I'd say get a wig,l because I personally would never cut my hair for cosplay, because right now, I am specifically growing it out for cosplay.

But, its your choice, you can get it cut and donate it to Locks of Love!

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Pocket Ninja

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 01:29:10 pm »
From personal experience, cutting long hair sucks.  it's cool at first because your head feels lighter, there's less maintenance, and you don't get it caught on everything, but after a few weeks you get withdrawal until basically it grows back.  

Can't you go as Jesse? lol.  

I dunno. if you're dying for a change, go for it. Worst case scenario, you don't like  and your hair grows  back in a couple of years.
Kumoricon! Wahoo!

(order of cosplay might change)
Saturday- Rikku (FFX)
Sunday- Tifa (FF:AC)
Monday- Mana-sama (maybe)

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 04:54:59 pm »
I'd say grin and bear it with a wig. I hate wearing wigs too, but my hair takes forever to grow out, and I personally think that cosplay is a hobby. I wouldn't want to change my hair to look like one character for a weekend. If you are planning to cut/dye it, make sure that's how you'd really want your hair to be otherwise.
In short. If you want a change, make sure that doing the style of the character is what you're really wanting the change to be.

Offline Dustin H

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/dustinph
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:51:55 pm »
Quote from: "Pocket Ninja"
From personal experience, cutting long hair sucks.  it's cool at first because your head feels lighter, there's less maintenance, and you don't get it caught on everything, but after a few weeks you get withdrawal until basically it grows back.  

i know EXACTLY what you mean! you'd think i'd learn from my mistakes... no. obviously it's not as bad for me since i'm a guy and i don't have to grow out my hair as long, however i always say when my hair is long " man it's too high maintainence and i'm tired of it in my eyes " and a couple weeks after i chop it i go " why did i cut my hair so short? that was stupid! "  i've come up with a great look for my hair  and i think i'll be able to pull it off when it's longer too, but i only hope my hair gets long enough for my outfit for kumoricon. i think i'll be ok.

does fertilizer work on hair? ;)

Offline AznGalahad

• Cabbit
    • http://myspace.com/chineseboiii
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 12:07:33 am »
Quote from: "Dustin H"
Quote from: "Pocket Ninja"

i know EXACTLY what you mean! you'd think i'd learn from my mistakes... no. obviously it's not as bad for me since i'm a guy and i don't have to grow out my hair as long, however i always say when my hair is long " man it's too high maintainence and i'm tired of it in my eyes " and a couple weeks after i chop it i go " why did i cut my hair so short? that was stupid! "  i've come up with a great look for my hair  and i think i'll be able to pull it off when it's longer too, but i only hope my hair gets long enough for my outfit for kumoricon. i think i'll be ok.

does fertilizer work on hair? ;)

LAWL thats exactly what i think; i always cut my hair then remain semi-depressed for half an hour wondering why i did it. i hear that you have to pass a certain point where your bangs stop poking into your eyes  before it feels normal to have long hair.
Myspace is the new crack.

Offline nonomi_ikari

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 12:04:42 pm »
Well...I've also thought about it in the long run...I was thinking, It'll make it much easier to cosplay as him in the future [Oh...I refuse to be Jesse even though everybody says I should be her...] and it'll be alot easier to put in a good wig as Roy...My hair is too long and too thick to make a wig not look like a flying donkey poo.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 05:12:31 pm »
Personally, I ALWAYS use my real hair for cosplay.  That means it's been doused in bottles of elmer's glue dyed yellow, blue, black, red, etc, cut in several styles and lengths, but it all works out to look really GREAT because it's my hair and not a cheeeeezy wig!
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 10:58:43 pm »
I've never worn a wig yet and have always used my own hair for cosplay. I even cut it extremely short in order for it to look good for SakuraCon (although I just wanted a change in my hair anyways, too).

So, it all comes down to how the wig looks. If it doesn't look that bad, I'd say go with it.

But if you really want to cut your hair, donate it to Locks of Love or something. 83 That's what I did.
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline Dustin H

• Cabbit
    • http://www.myspace.com/dustinph
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 09:40:29 am »
depends on what kind of wig you use. some of the best cosplayers i've ever seen use wigs, but they look so good you can't tell. just depends i suppose on how much time and effort you put into your wig or your real hair.

Offline JUMPIN' JACK FLASH

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 11:52:06 am »
Personally, I would just cut my hair. Wigs are a royal pain in the butt, and they itch too... O.o Some wigs also cost a pretty penny, and you always run into the problem with wind...
I shall glomp every Shikamaru in sight at Kumoricon!! BEWARE THE CRAZY TEMARI!!!!! Muahahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 12:39:29 pm »
Personally I think the cost of the wig is justified considering how much I spend to get my hair cut/colored/styled... a wig is much cheaper, easier on my hair, easier to style and good for later. :-) How else could you go through so many looks over the course of a weekend? And besides, so long as you get a decent quality wig and put it on right it'll look great. Hardly anybody knew I was wearing one last year - not even my friends.
For example, here's me wearing one last year that only cost me about $30 - much less than a trip to the salon!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 10:20:19 am »
james had blue hair.. i have a blue gogo wig you copuld use if you wanted, it has slight bangs and is a light blue so i dont know if you want to use it, i'm growing out my hair for my sakaki copsplay and will have to use black spray, i'm all for incorparating your natural hair into your cosplay but some time the reultys arnt good so post you pic so we k'n better advise, like for my sumomo i'm gonna have to use a wig
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kasa

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 03:33:31 pm »
I am one who thinks that if you can use you're real hair, that's what I'd advise. It may sound kinda hypocritical cosidering the last 2 CosPlays I did in a wig, but I was Sakura from naruto and Princess Peach, and my hair is almost black.  there was no way in the seven hells I was going to be able to dye my hair the right color and not have it fall out of my head in clumps... -^.^- I like meh hair where it is.  The only thing I have to say about wigs is that they are f---ing HOT!!! the more hair you have under 'um, the hotter it is.  and if anyone know where I can get a long, dark green wig to use for Sailor Pluto, I'd love you forever. ((my hair is shoulder-length, way too short))
2014 Cosplay:
~Pinkie Pie from MLP:FiM
    Workout and Plain-clothes
~Rose Lalonde from Homestuck
~Punk Growlithe from Pokemon

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2006, 11:10:49 pm »
Using a wig or not really depends on your situation.  For some people, they will itch, although, you may be wearing the wig improperly(or just need time to get used to it).  I used a wig for my Haku(Naruto) cosplay since my real hair is too short and everyone thought the wig was my real hair.

@Kasa
you could try dying a wig to get that color.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline nonomi_ikari

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 12:14:51 pm »
I'll have to get a good picture...All of the ones of me at AO suck. >< I'll have my friend take a picture of me with her digital camera and put it on my photobucket...

Quote from: "Kasa"
and if anyone know where I can get a long, dark green wig to use for Sailor Pluto, I'd love you forever. ((my hair is shoulder-length, way too short))

Hun... www.cosworx.com  

I'm in love with one of the wigs for a long-haired cosplay. [47" long wig...]

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2006, 02:29:01 pm »
I would dye my hair anytime but never cut it I love it alot.
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline nonomi_ikari

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 12:26:02 pm »
Mine causes neck issues...

I was going to get my picture up...But...The AO message boarda are down, and therefore cannot get the URL for my friend's photobucket that has the pictures of me. Sorry.  :(