Author Topic: Hardest Cosplay??  (Read 8328 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Hardest Cosplay??
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:29:51 pm »
What has your hardest cosplay ever been to make? Did you guys ever have something fall apart??

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline dearSgirl

• Cabbit
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 07:59:11 pm »
yeah my nia costume that i'm still makeing,the ears and tail kept falling off,then my paws came undone and then the metal peices came apart. Thats why I did'nt get to wear it to the Sakuracon 06 :( . Now I have to deal it and my dad's viciuos costume becuase were putting that huge bird on his shoulder and make it. It looks like I going to be busy all summer. :shock:

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:09:09 pm »
Quote from: "dearSgirl"
yeah my nia costume that i'm still makeing,the ears and tail kept falling off,then my paws came undone and then the metal peices came apart. Thats why I did'nt get to wear it to the Sakuracon 06 :( . Now I have to deal it and my dad's viciuos costume becuase were putting that huge bird on his shoulder and make it. It looks like I going to be busy all summer. :shock:

awww... good luck getting it together.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Kasa

• Cabbit
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 03:37:20 pm »
me and two friends once made matching Princess Peach dresses, one in pink, one in blue, and I wore a red one. It looked -really- cool, but they were a bizznatch to make...
2014 Cosplay:
~Pinkie Pie from MLP:FiM
    Workout and Plain-clothes
~Rose Lalonde from Homestuck
~Punk Growlithe from Pokemon

Offline Wolf Wood

• Catgirl
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 03:42:10 pm »
hey i saw you guys at sakuracon

Offline nonomi_ikari

• Sailor Scout
    • http://fionarea.deviantart.com
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 10:00:55 am »
I didn't make it, but I saw one of FFX Bahamut. O_O It looked so complicated and spiffy. I dunno if it fell apart, but I'm praying to god that it didn't.

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 05:18:31 pm »
My Sailor Star Maker costume was a pain in the ass to make. x.X Ugh. The straps around my waist wouldn't say, but I got ideas for that now. *grins*

Anyways, my Michiru Kaiou costume was litterally falling apart. @.@ It was horrid.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Antares

• Catgirl
    • http://bellethecat.com
Gaara
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 08:46:58 pm »
My friend, whom we affectionatly refer to as Snarl, spent countless hours making a paper mache gourd. He then decided it was a good idea to cover it with REAL CLAY that would then dry and harden. Well, it looked SUPURB! But... it was heavy as s**t. And of course, when he picked it up, it toally broke. And he ended up not coming to the con 'cuz he was so heartbroken.

Word to the wize - don't be like Snarl.
Use paper clay - not real clay.

My Photos KCON08: http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u66/wanderergone/Kcon08/

2008 Industry Manager :: 2007 Publicity and Relations Staff :: 2006 Publicity and Relations

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 08:12:33 am »
My Auron costume that I debuted at SC06. My wife spent countless hours sewing the pants, robe, breastplate and dangly accsessories, while I worked on the sword with a hunk of wood. I spent over a week sawing, sanding, painting, resanding, painting, resanding, and repainting the hook blade, only to have my support rod break through as I was attaching the completed hilt. Bloody thing broke right one side of the blade, not even remotely repairable. This was four days before the convention. In that time, with some insulation foam, styrene, and working up until the time Thursday that we were leaving, with her help I was able to make his more standard katana blade.

Offline nonomi_ikari

• Sailor Scout
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 12:07:29 pm »
Quote from: "ObiJay"
My Auron costume that I debuted at SC06. My wife spent countless hours sewing the pants, robe, breastplate and dangly accsessories, while I worked on the sword with a hunk of wood. I spent over a week sawing, sanding, painting, resanding, painting, resanding, and repainting the hook blade, only to have my support rod break through as I was attaching the completed hilt. Bloody thing broke right one side of the blade, not even remotely repairable. This was four days before the convention. In that time, with some insulation foam, styrene, and working up until the time Thursday that we were leaving, with her help I was able to make his more standard katana blade.

;_; I feel so horrible...I've never cosplayed before, but just hearing that, I feel horrible. I'm scared that my sewing machine will kill my costume! T_T

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 06:48:01 pm »
Quote from: "nonomi_ikari"
;_; I feel so horrible...I've never cosplayed before, but just hearing that, I feel horrible. I'm scared that my sewing machine will kill my costume! T_T

What you could do is try starting with a simple cosplay and slowly gain experience from that.  You could start out with a cosplay that only requires gathering regular clothes or something that's one level above that.

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 07:43:13 pm »
My Celestial Fuu and Umi cosplays....

Mainly because it was the first time ever doing armor and me and my friend had no freaking idea what we were doing. Plus we made it all over one week.

Check it out > http://images.cosplay.com/gallery.php?BRSR=660&cat=38026&member=18

(of course ignore the terrible purple wig ;_; that dying job just didn't work out *curls in a ball*)

But don't worry, we're going to make a harder costume for Kumori Con

Dunno what characters though.
Sweet Times

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 07:54:21 am »

Well it was painful, but at the same time it was a great learning experience. In the end it was a blessing in disguise, because the foam/styrene sword I made was much lighter and easier to carry and pose with. My friends heard the horror story and all of them said "I can't believe this is the emergency replacement!"

Here's a shot

What Negima said is sound advice though, start with something simple, and as long as you have a decent sewing machine, you should be fine. Kumori is still several months off, pace yourself.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 09:47:09 am »
Quote from: "Negima"

What you could do is try starting with a simple cosplay and slowly gain experience from that.  You could start out with a cosplay that only requires gathering regular clothes or something that's one level above that.

yeah what he said.  two of mine will probely be Pop Racer and the Coach from Battle Royal both just have street cloths
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
    • Angel Sorrows: The Official Tainted Angel Website (OS)
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 11:08:36 pm »
Magic Knight Rayearth was my hardest and I won 2nd place.  Sadly I didn't win anything adn I spent all summer on it.  Gah!  Oh well. I went as Fuu in her goddess form.  The outfit for the armer is hella hard to peice together.
Parents; be good to your kids.... they'll be choosing your nursing home.

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 09:55:37 pm »
Quote from: "bastett08"
Magic Knight Rayearth was my hardest and I won 2nd place.  Sadly I didn't win anything adn I spent all summer on it.  Gah!  Oh well. I went as Fuu in her goddess form.  The outfit for the armer is hella hard to peice together.

Oh hey, you too? Wait, is goddess the same as celestial?

*sympathizes with you about armor*
Sweet Times

Offline bastett08

• Chibi
    • Angel Sorrows: The Official Tainted Angel Website (OS)
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 10:44:02 pm »
Not the ones you did.  They were like the Roman goddess looking outfits.  I found a really pretty image from the manga that I wanted to do.  I sewed that thing for days... and days... and it fell apart on me everytime I walked.  So I just strung the beads together like a belt with some rope and it worked!

God, those costumes you made were amazing!  Well done!
Parents; be good to your kids.... they'll be choosing your nursing home.

Offline nonomi_ikari

• Sailor Scout
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 12:04:30 pm »
What Negima said is sound advice though, start with something simple, and as long as you have a decent sewing machine, you should be fine. Kumori is still several months off, pace yourself.

Yeah. [You did so wonderful, by the way] I'm actually getting help from Boise's cosplay group called Ichidan. I've known the main two for about three years now, and they're very helpful. ^^ I thought of my first cosplay being mid-life crisis Kyo Sohma. His clothes would be easy. Just kahki jeans and a black tee shirt...But my parents wouldn't take me clothes shopping until the day after AO. T_T

If you have any uber good advice, lemme know more, please! ^^ I need as much as I can get!

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 01:35:14 pm »
Quote from: "sassy_lassy"
Quote from: "bastett08"

Oh hey, you too? Wait, is goddess the same as celestial?

*sympathizes with you about armor*

I spent a VERY long time on my costume as well!  T_T  My Subaru costume was my pride and joy at that time!!!

The hardest to date for me was Nataku from X, but this years will be MUCH much more difficult!

Nataku:  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/mistresslegato/Kumoricon%202004/nataku_x.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/mistresslegato/DSC_8202.jpg
This years plan:
http://www.deviantart.com/view/8787113/
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline asmodeous

• Oni
    • http://gravitationanime.deviantart.com
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2006, 12:19:26 am »
Definitely my vincent valentine costume for sakuracon 2006.  I stayed up the week before doing rough work and then pulled an all nighter to finish the details... the holster kept falling so I had to tape it and one finger on the claw fell off a few times.  Besides the normal things the jacket and the cape took forever to make
"cherries are like tiny fruits"-Hazard

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 01:31:14 am »
Sora - KHII (Regular Outfit, Kingdom Key)
Kaiba - Yugioh (Battle City)

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2006, 07:39:52 am »

Yeah. [You did so wonderful, by the way] I'm actually getting help from Boise's cosplay group called Ichidan. I've known the main two for about three years now, and they're very helpful. ^^ I thought of my first cosplay being mid-life crisis Kyo Sohma. His clothes would be easy. Just kahki jeans and a black tee shirt...But my parents wouldn't take me clothes shopping until the day after AO. T_T

If you have any uber good advice, lemme know more, please! ^^ I need as much as I can get!

Why thank you, I tried to cram as much work into the blade as possible, and the wife did an amazing job on the blade's filigree.

The only real advice I can give is that once you decide on a character, reference images, reference images, reference images. Sure you don't have to do every teensy little detail, as some are flat out impossible, but you don't want to miss out on something major just because you didn't have a shot of the back left area or something.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2006, 10:20:15 am »
lulu was hard to make because i was literaly losing weight to fit into the dress i had mofdified and, the leather belt skirt, i used real leather belts and used black duck tape to hold it together, i had no finger prints left
but it looked awesome and i had fan girls
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2006, 07:47:16 am »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
lulu was hard to make because i was literaly losing weight to fit into the dress i had mofdified and, the leather belt skirt, i used real leather belts and used black duck tape to hold it together, i had no finger prints left
but it looked awesome and i had fan girls

So many people skimp out on the belts, it's sad. For the wife's Lulu we raided value village, salvation army, and goodwill. Much slicing occured and several heavy duty needles died stitching them in.  It seems like a lot of people either do vinyl or about 5 belts and call it a day.

Offline nonomi_ikari

• Sailor Scout
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 12:02:23 pm »
Yeah...I've seen very few really good Lulu costumes. It's so sad..I love Lulu. ;_; If I was thinner, I'd cosplay as her in an instant, but I'm not, and I refuse to be one of those fat Lulus.  :evil:

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 03:01:39 pm »
i hear you too i have lost like 60 lbs before i dared to be lulu,
(i'm down 40 more ddr rocks)
i was in japan thesummer before 05 k-con and told my family to look for belts at yard sales and i got an e-mail from my mom saying she bought me a belt... one belt
so i found a thrif store that sold nice leather belts for  100 yen or a buck and i bought 7 then i  went to a yard sale that was closing and they said a buck a bag, and they had a box of belts that were minE
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Redundant Contradiction

• Cabbit
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 11:09:48 pm »
Havent tried it yet, but I suppose the main character from Bobobo - bobo - bo bo would be hard to do yet funny to see.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006, 07:39:32 am »
I think one of the more challenging costumes I ever did was Sesshoumaru. My husband cast the armor out of aluminum and I hand painted the designs on the kimono. Hand painting fabric is a bit more labor intensive than I like, but it did turn out rather nice in the end. And the casting looked fantastic when it was done. I just sold that costume to a friend and she'll be wearing it to Kumoricon '06.  :D

Another big challenge was the Centauri costume (it's from Babylon 5 and is based upon costumes of the 1600a) I did for Cascadia Con in '04... Corsets are very labor intensive, especially ones from that era. Also, I had to sew the dress by hand on my dress form because that was the only way to force the hem to work out straight. I had to be very careful about not sewing the dress to the corset or the dressform (yet get it stuck together well enough so I could take it off the dressform to resew by machine.) I think that dress took about 6 or 8 yards of pleated fabric in the skirt....

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
Hardest Cosplay??
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 12:57:39 pm »
The costume that is going to give me the biggest headache will be Fai D. Floright's costume. I'm litteraly going to beg my friend to help me with his staff. @.@ She works with metal. But, I've recently read all of Tsubasa, and I noted the three layers to Fai's costume. The long, hooded outer jacket, the inner shorter jacket, and then the main costume. I want to make all three so I can go on stage and just strip down. ^_^ I think it would be fun, but I know that the costume will give me a headache. @.@ I'm excited to work on it, but at the exact same time, I am dreading it. It will cost so much money, but damn it! It will be worth it!

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯