Author Topic: The official thread for the repair station  (Read 3668 times)

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
The official thread for the repair station
« on: January 22, 2007, 02:57:14 am »
The official thread for the Cosplay (and anything else) Repair Station

I am officially staff in charge of the repair station for Kumoricon 2007 (Which I did at the last minute last year when it was realized I was already there with a bunch of supplies anyways for my class on leather).  This year the Repair station will be moved from the Fan fic and Art room to the cosplay area and will be added to the program and other literature.   I had 15 or 20 people a day last year and I was there about 10 or 12 hours a day doing fixes, and people did some of there own fixes with or without me there.  (I even did one fix as I was pushing a cart to teach my class and some ones shoe fell apart)

For those who may be attending I have a few people interested in helping and would appreciate more as I expect with more advanced notice there will be a larger demand in both volume and complexity.  Any help is needed but especially those with some sewing experience.  My area is doing leather and luggage repairs and making leather and metal costume accessories for theater and reenactment, the only cloth clothing I can sew is something as complex as a magicians cape.  

I found this list on the web site for Anime Boston and the forum for Anime LA also recommends this list and I’m going to be networking with the people who runs and work the repair stations at there conventions.

Needles, pins, thread (12 colors), needle threader, elastic (1/4 inch), stick-on Velcro circles, measuring tape, fabric scraps, scotch Tape, double-sided scotch tape, masking tape, clear packing tape, duct tape, clear duct tape, electrical tape, general purpose white glue, Mod Podge, Sobo Craft & Plastic Glue, Superglue, mirror, cotton swabs, cotton balls, Aqua Crayon Stick Set –face paint, Liquid Latex, eyebrow pencils, makeup brush, makeup Sponges, Crème Foundation, skin tone powder, theatrical makeup (4 tones), makeup remover, Spirit gum, Spirit gum remover, wig brush, combs, elastic hair ties, bobby pins, hairspray, scissors, string, rubber bands, safety pins, ruler, stapler, sharpies, X-Acto knife, Band-Aids, clear fishing line, paintbrushes, acrylic paint, cable ties, plastic drop cloth, plastic grocery bags, cardboard, wire (3 kinds), Oxy-clean Fabric Cleaner, dish soap (hypoallergenic), kitchen sponges, paper towels.

I had brought about half of that list 40 of the 65 items I did not bring anything that is found in a makeup case.  I had also brought a lot more sizes and colors of Velcro, elastic, zippers and a Heavy sewing machine and a home size one. And all sorts of rivets, snaps, buckles and fasteners.  And a box of normal household tools.  

Next year I’m going to add JB Weld (An epoxy for metal) for fixing things like the wire frames of angel wings) Liquid nail and silicon calking (I used to use these to assemble stage sets built out of foam) to repair the broken giant foam props (damn you Mr Prop breaker)  

I would appreciate any input on the cosplay repairs with ideas for materials or examples of the odd repairs other then cloths rips that just needed sewing.
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 01:59:02 pm »
Bring plenty of Duct tape -- It binds the universe together.
You won't believe how many emergency repairs I've managed using duct tape. ....

Safety pins are also wonderful items to use to rescue you from "wardrobe malfunction".

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 02:08:17 pm »
Quote from: "Runa"
Bring plenty of Duct tape -- It binds the universe together.
You won't believe how many emergency repairs I've managed using duct tape. ....

Safety pins are also wonderful items to use to rescue you from "wardrobe malfunction".

Oh yeah Duck tape I brought in grey and red, safty pins I had thougt were in my box of stuff that goes with the sewing machine so I had to go to safeway and get safty pins and more duct tape and more super glue
Field Marshall Von Dan

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:08:11 pm »
I know that the meeting is really next weekend, but do you know how much of the workshop space you'll be getting for your station? I'm guessing that they'll have some plushie people (i heard there was going to be a plushie panel) and cat ear tutorials in there.

The workshop section seemed pretty big on the map.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 07:31:23 pm »
The repair station it self only took up the space of one artist ally table in the corner of the fan fic room last year.  We are not sure ware it is going to be yet, in the room that has cosplay panels, in the workshop or in the vender area.
Field Marshall Von Dan