Author Topic: I'm sick of seeing . . . .  (Read 27776 times)

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
I'm sick of seeing . . . .
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2006, 10:08:30 am »
Quote from: "Sasu-kitty"
Quote from: "kekame"

So, this year at SC '06, I saw a crappy Sasuke around every corner and I was tired of it. I mean, people can do what they want, it's their choice, but I guess it kinda makes me think, 'Well, I did this character when they were new, the anime was still in Japanese, and I did a good job... but its just a lame character to be anymore.'

I'm sure that "crappy sasuke" refers to me at least once.

keep in mind, not everyone has TIME or MONEY to make good costumes.

Hell, I didn't even know I was going to SC06 until a WEEK before.  You try putting together a decent cosplay of a popular character with very little, if NO money, and only a week.

Hmm... mine took about 50 bucks (maybe slightly less) and I did it in three weeks and it was my very first cosplay.

Anyways, like I said, do what you like. The point of the con is to have fun. Just because your costume doesn't exactly suit my tastes doesn't mean you couldn't be perfectly happy about it between you and your friends.
Sora - KHII (Regular Outfit, Kingdom Key)
Kaiba - Yugioh (Battle City)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2006, 06:27:51 pm »
Oh and one more... I am 100% COMPLETELY SICK of Prince Of Tennis....

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2006, 07:42:00 pm »
Quote from: "kimiski"
Oh and one more... I am 100% COMPLETELY SICK of Prince Of Tennis....

I wouldn't call that overdone though, would you? Or are you sick of it cause the costumes are mostly the same-ish?

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2006, 10:38:14 pm »
Well, as many have said, I think FMA, Naruto, Inu-Yasha, Bleach and Final Fantasy are the big ones. Especially Naruto and FMA. Not that I don't like the shows. And it's fun to cosplay from fun shows that many know about with unique costumes like that (sure Naruto costumes almost always wear headbands, but they're otherwise different from one another).

But again, as many have said, I'd love to see more minor-ish characters be cosplayed. I mean, I'm cosplaying Greed from FMA for a day, and I only saw one or two of him at SakuraCon 06. Comon, people. Minor characters ROCK.

Then there's those fun yet hardly ever cosplayed anime/manga/video games/etc. Like Loveless. Not the best to cosplay, but a cute story, and would be fun to get a group together. Fushigi Yugi has nice costumes, and I haven't seen as many Yuugiou costumes as I thought there'd be at SakuraCon 06 (GX would be interesting to see). Tons more, but too many to list.

In the end, I guess it's all about popularity, huh? Adult Swim/Toonami is watched by many, many people, and therefore it's a huge target for cosplay. Surely there's those who have watched the Japanese versions as well (like me), but...yeah. It's mostly the Adult Swim people.
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline Eternal Yamcha

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2006, 04:30:13 am »
I mean, not to sound like an attention whore... but when no one recognizes you it takes the fun out.

This year I'm going to be cosplaying something famous, but very few people, if any, at K-Con (aside from my personal friends) will recognize me. Heck, if anyone figures out who I am they should earn a metaphorical cookie. The thought of no one recognizing me is actually quite tantalizing to be honest.

As for over-played stuff... I can't say much else than anyone else has said. Naruto, FMA and Inuyasha cosplayers are abundant and flock to conventions like locusts on farm fields. Some are good and I believe people should remember that, while there are many lackluster to terrible Naruto/FMA/Inuyasha etc. cosplayers, there are a few good ones and those, in my opinion, make it all seem worthwhile.

Oh and I am apart of the royal court of half-assed costumes. A $0.99 white t-shirt that smelled like grease and baking soda, put it on over my head and called myself the "White T-Shirt Ninja." Yeah... Terrible and I am proud of it!
"Raisin Bran Crunch: BUY ME SOME; MOM!!!"

Offline NarutoNoJutsu

• Cabbit
    • http://www.machan.deviantart.com
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2006, 09:36:14 am »
Quote from: "Riyuki"
Its not that I'm sick of Naruto or FMA, I'm more tired of people that half-arse their costumes. (In fact, I looked EVERYWHERE for a good GOOD Naruto that I could take a picture of at Sakura06 this year and I didn't find one to my liking)

I saw so many Sasuke's that refused to style their hair, or even have it the right color, or wear a wig. My best friend died and cut her hair really short for KCon04 and I spiked it for her every morning. She's the best Sasuke I've ever seen to this day because of that. And Ed's with the wrong color hair. His hair is clearly not brown! Not pink! Not...nasty!

Teh hair, people!! Gah! </rant>

Either... you didnt see me, or I didnt do a very good job.
-kind of emo now-
I thought I was a pretty good Naruto D:

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2006, 02:47:55 pm »
Quote from: "NarutoNoJutsu"
Its not that I'm sick of Naruto or FMA, I'm more tired of people that half-arse their costumes. (In fact, I looked EVERYWHERE for a good GOOD Naruto that I could take a picture of at Sakura06 this year and I didn't find one to my liking)

I saw so many Sasuke's that refused to style their hair, or even have it the right color, or wear a wig. My best friend died and cut her hair really short for KCon04 and I spiked it for her every morning. She's the best Sasuke I've ever seen to this day because of that. And Ed's with the wrong color hair. His hair is clearly not brown! Not pink! Not...nasty!

-kind of emo now-

If that pic is you, I'd call you a good Naruto, and not that I really want to speak for her, but I'm guessing my best friend riyuki would too. ^_^

And no, we didn't see you unless you talked to Chrono and Rosette from Chrono Crusade.

Offline NarutoNoJutsu

• Cabbit
    • http://www.machan.deviantart.com
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2006, 06:00:58 pm »
Quote from: "kekame"
Quote from: "NarutoNoJutsu"

-kind of emo now-

If that pic is you, I'd call you a good Naruto, and not that I really want to speak for her, but I'm guessing my best friend riyuki would too. ^_^

And no, we didn't see you unless you talked to Chrono and Rosette from Chrono Crusade.

That is me. =o
Anyway I seen lots of people and got too many pictures and yeah.
But I will be at KCon so.
<<
If you still want that picture.

Offline Spork

• Sailor Scout
    • http://8bitoctop.us
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2006, 12:07:50 am »
Spork is personally tired of people who cosplay one piece VERY BADLY.  Luffy is not a red shirt with the sleeves ripped off, rolled up jeans, and ratty sneakers.  Zoro is not spraying your hair green, tying some green stuff around your waist, and wearing black pants.  For being so simple, alot of people seem to be... Not good at it X_X;;

But yes, I'm also tired of Naruto and FMA, and... well, everything else that's been done rather half assedly a million times.
NO WEENIES!
"Go Going Merry, you're rippin up the Grand Line!"
"FRIED CHICKEN!!"

KumoriCon attendee since '03

Offline Sailor Tweek

• Oni
    • http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=sailortweek
Why for?
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2006, 01:24:21 am »
This is all too much under the file marked "Drama".   :shock:

I don't understand why anyone would be sick of seeing cosplayers as anything.  People are cosplaying.  Hooray for them!
And why would anyone care if they saw terrible cosplay?  So what if someone's only entrance into the whole genre is Cartoon Network.  So what if their first attempt at Naruto consists of Hot Topic merch.

it just really makes me sad to see this thread.  I say this uber-geeky hobby of ours should be embraced a bit more liberally by the people invested in the hobby.

I understand what you all are saying, but there are tons of people out there cosplaying these "overdone" characters because they LIKE the character.  

I say that cosplaying shouldn't bother anyone because if we are all cosplaying, then we are all dressing goofy!   :wink:
I have nothing witty or intellegent to say and will continue to do so...
Waitaminute...

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
Re: Why for?
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2006, 07:33:13 pm »
Quote from: "Sailor Tweek"

I don't understand why anyone would be sick of seeing cosplayers as anything.  People are cosplaying.  Hooray for them!
And why would anyone care if they saw terrible cosplay?  So what if someone's only entrance into the whole genre is Cartoon Network.  So what if their first attempt at Naruto consists of Hot Topic merch.

it just really makes me sad to see this thread.  I say this uber-geeky hobby of ours should be embraced a bit more liberally by the people invested in the hobby.

I understand what you all are saying, but there are tons of people out there cosplaying these "overdone" characters because they LIKE the character.  

I say that cosplaying shouldn't bother anyone because if we are all cosplaying, then we are all dressing goofy!   :wink:

Sorry, but I don't consider a hobby that I put sooo much money or effort in as "dressing goofy."  I take it pretty seriously.  If you're going to enter a cosplay competition you want to compete with the elite, not the "I borrowed this shirt from my little sister and the skirt from my older sister and now I am the obnoxious girl from Kodoma no Omocha."  -_-'

There are a lot of poorly done cosplays and a loooot of overdone cosplays.  If they like the character, they could put some effort into their costume.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2006, 08:22:08 pm »
Quote from: "MistressLegato"

Sorry, but I don't consider a hobby that I put sooo much money or effort in as "dressing goofy."  I take it pretty seriously.  If you're going to enter a cosplay competition you want to compete with the elite, not the "I borrowed this shirt from my little sister and the skirt from my older sister and now I am the obnoxious girl from Kodoma no Omocha."  -_-'

There are a lot of poorly done cosplays and a loooot of overdone cosplays.  If they like the character, they could put some effort into their costume.

I agree with you on most these things. But I think that as a hobby, even with the borrowing of clothes and shopping at thift stores; You have to start somewhere. And not everyone can afford to make fabulous costumes. Hopefully though, I'll have my costume ready for the masq this year.

Offline Sailor Tweek

• Oni
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2006, 01:05:22 am »

You don't think that dressing as a cartoon character is goofy?  I only said it to lighten the mood.  It's amazing...I wonder if knitting circles complain like this about how crummy someone did on a blanket they entered in the County Fair.   :lol:   There are many of us who do take it seriously and I totally respect that.  

Also take into account that what might look good to some may not look good to others.   There are people out there who think that they did a darn fine job on their costume with given circumstances, budget, skill level and that's alright...or at least it should be.  Am I just plain wrong here?..because I thought that this was a FUN hobby.  There's not much fun in complaining about other people's skills, right?

I understand the idea of wanting to compete with the best and so on.   However, there wouldn't be much to worry about competition wise if you were up against the "girl from Kodoma no Omocha" .  ~_^  BTW, that was another joke to lighten the mood.
Waitaminute...

Offline Sailor Tweek

• Oni
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2006, 01:09:39 am »
Quote from: "yukimizu"

I agree with you on most these things. But I think that as a hobby, even with the borrowing of clothes and shopping at thift stores; You have to start somewhere. And not everyone can afford to make fabulous costumes. Hopefully though, I'll have my costume ready for the masq this year.

YES!  You have to start somewhere!  Excactly!  You aren't born with superhuman abilities to sew and make armor straight out of the womb.  You have to learn...most learn by doing.   You can all help with that process and inform people on the little things like hemming a garment and wearing a wig cap to hide your real hair and whatever else people complain about.  Be part of the solution instead of being online and complaining.  ^_^
Waitaminute...

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2006, 01:55:54 am »
Seeing other people at cons do really good jobs inspires me to want to do a really good job too. Some people do such good jobs it amazes me. I usually pay a heck of a lot more attention to them than I do to the people that did a kinda quick borrow-my-sister's-skirt job. That's just placing credit where its due... ^_^

Although I may critique a lot, I agree that we are all there to have fun, be crazy, relax, or simply coexist with our fellow geeks. I didn't mean to imply anything besides that.

Offline MistressLegato

• Catgirl
    • http://mistresslegato.deviantart.com
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2006, 07:56:43 pm »

You don't think that dressing as a cartoon character is goofy?  I only said it to lighten the mood.  It's amazing...I wonder if knitting circles complain like this about how crummy someone did on a blanket they entered in the County Fair.   :lol:   There are many of us who do take it seriously and I totally respect that.  

Also take into account that what might look good to some may not look good to others.   There are people out there who think that they did a darn fine job on their costume with given circumstances, budget, skill level and that's alright...or at least it should be.  Am I just plain wrong here?..because I thought that this was a FUN hobby.  There's not much fun in complaining about other people's skills, right?

I understand the idea of wanting to compete with the best and so on.   However, there wouldn't be much to worry about competition wise if you were up against the "girl from Kodoma no Omocha" .  ~_^  BTW, that was another joke to lighten the mood.

Not when you lose to her because she's dating the head of the voting committee, not when because you're not friends with the rest of the voters your months of time sewing are deemed useless.  While this hasn't happened at a con, it HAS happened in cosplay TO ME.

The topic is about cosplays people think are overdone, so let's get back on subject.

Thanks.
Demon nurse, la la lalalalalalala, Demon Nurse . . .

Offline Pocket Ninja

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2006, 09:50:01 pm »
Naruto. No offense to Naruto cosplayers though, I love you guys!

In fact, I used to be all for it because a few years back during Kumoricon 2004, I was quite surprised to see so many people cosplaying as Naruto characters because the show (I thought) wasn't that popular or at least hasn't been released in America (most people I knew were bit torrenting the episodes).  It also could've been that that was my first con, and I didn't know what to expect in terms of cosplay trends.
Kumoricon! Wahoo!

(order of cosplay might change)
Saturday- Rikku (FFX)
Sunday- Tifa (FF:AC)
Monday- Mana-sama (maybe)

Offline Kouta

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/yukasumire
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2006, 10:59:15 pm »
I'm sick of seeing people always critisize other people on what they are wearing (for cosplay). Those people that cosplaye that wear what they do...and do it because its fun and thats what they want is fun to them

What of us is to say that its not alright for them to wear what they want. Its like saying that I dont like people wearing blue jeans. Its just silly in my opinion.

Granted there are some cosplay/costumes that are more pleasing to the eye than others, but I still think its great that those people are doing something other than just going normal day-to-day clothes. But... judging and criticizing is a facet of life, even though its quite annoying and cruel at times.

That also brings up a thought that alot of people I know of have about the whole cosplay drama thing... is it better to have normal clothes than it is to have fun and play an "over done" character or someone that had thier outfit/costume commissioned by someone else? To us (me and my friends), wearing normal clothes is better (because of all the people always putting other people down), which is sad because it deters alot from the fun. The anime we watch is always the the same... episode 4 is episode 4, who cares of Jill looks like Jane if they are both having a blast.

If anything to add to the original poster of this thread I am sick of seeing people in normal clothes at the con! Dress up, have fun! Sorry about the negative tone of this post, its just cosplay drama really gets under my skin at times.

Offline Pocket Ninja

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2006, 11:22:23 pm »
Quote from: "Kouta"

If anything to add to the original poster of this thread I am sick of seeing people in normal clothes at the con! Dress up, have fun! Sorry about the negative tone of this post, its just cosplay drama really gets under my skin at times.

For my first con, I didn't prepare a costume (I kinda winged going to it), and I swear, it's not a fraction of how much fun you can have if you cosplay. I think cosplayers tend to slightly ignore people in normal clothes.
Kumoricon! Wahoo!

(order of cosplay might change)
Saturday- Rikku (FFX)
Sunday- Tifa (FF:AC)
Monday- Mana-sama (maybe)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2006, 06:11:22 pm »
Quote from: "Kouta"

Not taking offense or anything but I'm curious about something.

What if the cosplay is basically normal clothes?  When I cosplayed as Seta (Love Hina) I used all regular, unaltered clothes: Black button-shirt, red tie, black pants, and a doctor's coat.

Just curious.

Offline Kouta

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/yukasumire
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2006, 06:19:46 pm »
If it looks like the character and your are having fun, I personally dont see the problem with it. Other people might, I just go to cons to have fun and dress up. I will be doing an original character at kumoricon most likely so I doubt anyone will know what I will be, but i still think it will be fun.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Overdone cosplay characters
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2006, 10:08:58 am »
When I see too many duplicate characters, they all seem to meld into the same person and I stop noticing them. This isn't too much of an issue when I'm just being a regular con attendee, but when I'm one of the hall cosplay judges it means that some people's costumes can unintentionally be ignored because we mistakenly think "oh, I've already given a hall costume award to that person".

I'd like to see more variety in cosplay. I find it more fun when I come across a unique costume -- epecially if it's a well-done version of an obscure character -- than yet another copy of one I've seen 100 times that day.

Overdone are:
Naruto
Bleach
Full Metal Alchemist
FF's Yuna

Let's see some new costumes, gang. Try something from one of the newer, more obscure series rather than something that 90% of us have already seen hundreds of times. You'll get more attention that way, too. Oh, and shoot for accuracy in the details, it's what sets the costume apart from the rest.  :)

If you are wanting costuming help, seek me out at the convention and we can discuss how to make some of the more interesting costumes. Learning to sew isn't as difficult as you may think.

Offline nonomi_ikari

• Sailor Scout
    • http://fionarea.deviantart.com
Re: Overdone cosplay characters
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2006, 12:10:15 pm »
Quote from: "Runa"
Overdone are:
Naruto
Bleach
Full Metal Alchemist
FF's Yuna

don't forget FFX's Lulu and Tidus...I've only seen one Wakka....And him infront of a magical chest of Pr0n....With that smile on his face....IT'S EMBARRASSING TO KNOW ONIZUKA WHEN HE DOES THAT!!! ~cries~

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Re: Overdone cosplay characters
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2006, 04:48:21 pm »
Quote from: "nonomi_ikari"
Quote from: "Runa"
Overdone are:
Naruto
Bleach
Full Metal Alchemist
FF's Yuna

don't forget FFX's Lulu and Tidus...I've only seen one Wakka

I don't think I've seen too many Lulu's or Tidus' at one con.  Usually it seems like there's only a few of them.

Offline Nekochi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2006, 06:30:53 pm »
If someone is going to cosplay from a well known anime or do a well known anime they should at least do an obscure costume. If you're going to cosplay as Sailor Moon stay away from the fuka and do one of her casual outfits or something from the artbooks. If you are going to cosplay as Ranma don't go in his red Chinese outfit. Go in something else! I guess that is kinda hard to do with FMA or Naruto but then agian that is one of the things that bugs me with shows like those. They are so popular but you really can't figure out why because they just get SO repeditive after a while. This is why I like obscure shows like Kino no Tabi. <3

2008 cosplays:
Princess Mars from Sailor Moon
Lumina from Harvest Moon AWL/DS ?
Ouran High School Host Club Junior High Uniform

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2006, 08:30:53 pm »
@Nekochi
From personal experience, you have to be careful with a casual outfit because chances are others won't know who you are or they'll think you're wearing everyday casual clothes and not cosplaying.  When I did my first cosplay I thought about going as Keitaro from "Love Hina" but I couldn't think of any outfit or clothes that people could easily recognize.

And secondly...
Quote from: "Nekochi"
This is why I like obscure shows like Kino no Tabi. <3

YES!  I'm not alone.

Offline Nekochi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2006, 03:26:30 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
@Nekochi
From personal experience, you have to be careful with a casual outfit because chances are others won't know who you are or they'll think you're wearing everyday casual clothes and not cosplaying.  When I did my first cosplay I thought about going as Keitaro from "Love Hina" but I couldn't think of any outfit or clothes that people could easily recognize.

And secondly...
Quote from: "Nekochi"
This is why I like obscure shows like Kino no Tabi. <3

YES!  I'm not alone.

=0 Someone else on this forum loves Kino? *is shocked*

2008 cosplays:
Princess Mars from Sailor Moon
Lumina from Harvest Moon AWL/DS ?
Ouran High School Host Club Junior High Uniform

Offline SekaiRin

• Oni
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2006, 01:31:44 am »
You see, I don't mind the cosplayers; if they look good instead of a half assed job.

What annoys me is that when they cosplay; they don't go in character, my friends and I tried that at the SakuraCon earlier this year.

Granted, I was an Inuyasha running around with said bad ears and wig due to lack of good money and supplies to make an awesome wig and ears. But, despite the shabby wig and ears; I was one of the people who got hit up for photos because when I'd rest for a minute or talk to my friends, I'd pose myself like the character I'm roleplaying as.

This year though, I'd love to see someone do some characters from MegaTokyo (I'm going as Kimiko and maybe Erika if I can throw their outfits together properly and get Kimiko's wig) and other kinda rare anime/manga/webcomic/etc.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #78 on: June 21, 2006, 06:19:40 pm »
Quote from: "SekaiRin"
 This year though, I'd love to see someone do some characters from MegaTokyo (I'm going as Kimiko and maybe Erika if I can throw their outfits together properly and get Kimiko's wig) and other kinda rare anime/manga/webcomic/etc.

I think there was one year we had a Miho and I'm pretty sure last year we had a Largo so they do come.

Offline XCrashCardX

• Cabbit
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2006, 05:08:54 pm »
For my first con (which was Kumoricon) I did Brandon Heat from Gun Grave. I did Brandon Heat Pre joining Melenion and no one recognized me.

So to my point, I have TWO lists of what I would like to see and was I never want to see again!

What I want to see:

Gun Grave!

Gad Guard maybe? I think that would be cool

Gun x Sword would be pretty cool

And Hellsing! Where are all the Hellsing Cosplayers?!?!?

FLCL. That would be sweet.

Paranoia Agent.

What I never want to see:

Naruto! OH man! Here are the reasons. 1. Theyalways do the same characters! For once I would like to see a well done Gara or something. 2. I saw someone do a Rock Lee Cosplay and it was not well done. I am now scared for life. And finaly, there are very few people who I have seen that have done the Naruto Cosplay well. I have seen a pretty sweet Zabuza but thats about it.

Bleach, again, I havent seen a really good one yet.

And Vash. I have seen so may Vashs and only one good one at Sakuracon.
Saturday Cosplay:      FFT White Mage
Sunday Cosplay:     Brandon Heat

Offline BakaBishonen

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2006, 07:48:32 pm »
Quote from: "XCrashCardX"
For my first con (which was Kumoricon) I did Brandon Heat from Gun Grave. I did Brandon Heat Pre joining Melenion and no one recognized me.

no offense but but brandon before he becomes all bad ass is a pretty generic costume its no surprise y people didnt recognize u

as for me im sick of seeing shinji in his normal white shirt, eurbobeat king is a good example of this....i mean its kinda played out

also Links sorry to say it but ive seen too danm many of them, naurto, bleach and final fantasy are like give aways of overdone cosplay...its like it was cool 1/2 years ago but like their are other anime and video games out ther, again all this is my opinion and if offends u get over it^^
zero kiryu - 95% done

Offline Ayaroki

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/z0mbiie
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2006, 01:29:18 pm »
HAIR.
;lkajs;fkj   =3=;
I know a mention of it was made earlier, but this erks me.
Now, I've never actually been to a convention, so this'll be my first year. But, let's say... I'm an online cosplaying expert!  :'D  I've spent hours searching through thousands of cosplay pictures of all sorts online. And nothing gets me more irritated than seeing a good cosplay, except the person just wears their normal hair.
What's the point of just dressing up if you aren't going to go all the way? Good God people.  ==;

Hearing all these anti-Naruto people makes me only more motivated to get my Orochimaru costume done excelently.
I hope I'll end up worthy in all you hater's eyes.  xD;;
Maybe I'll slide by considering I'm doing a semi-abstract character?
-Hopes.-

Kumoricon 2008 Cosplay Schedule -

Konan -- Naruto -- 100%

☆⌒(*^∇゜)v

Offline kekame

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2006, 05:15:53 pm »
Quote from: "Ayaroki"
I've spent hours searching through thousands of cosplay pictures of all sorts online. And nothing gets me more irritated than seeing a good cosplay, except the person just wears their normal hair.
What's the point of just dressing up if you aren't going to go all the way?

Amen. That's one of mine too. I mean, it doesn't have to be perfect, but atleast attempt!

Hearing all these anti-Naruto people makes me only more motivated to get my Orochimaru costume done excelently.
-Hopes.-

Actually, I've only ever seen one Naruto himself that I thought was very good. I think its less of a matter of seeing too many Naruto characters and more of a matter of not very many good ones. I'm only a little bit of a hater because I've been there, done that as far as that goes since I cosplayed Sasuke in 04:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c78/run_forever/KumoriCon04040.jpg

What I want to see:

FLCL. That would be sweet.

My friend and I are doing Lord Kanti and Haruko. ^_^

For once I would like to see a well done Gara or something.

I saw what I thought to be the perfect Gaara at Sakura-con 05... I have no idea who this is, so I hope they don't mind me showing this pic, but check out this person on cosplaylab: http://www.cosplaylab.com/cosplayers/complete.asp?memberid=12407

Offline Tinkeu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2006, 10:53:25 am »
Quote from: "BakaBishonen"

also Links sorry to say it but ive seen too danm many of them, naurto, bleach and final fantasy are like give aways of overdone cosplay...its like it was cool 1/2 years ago but like their are other anime and video games out ther, again all this is my opinion and if offends u get over it^^

.....*Guilty of cosplaying Final Fantasy* On the Link issue, I've begun to think that PicminLink should be the only one allowed to cosplay him. She's perfect for it.... But...

The thing is, is that, cosplaying is supposed to be fun... That's why people do it. If all of these people who cosplayed all of these things that you hate to see, didn't cosplay at all.... there'd just be something missing from the con. And you never know, what you might see as a half-assed production of someone like... Kakashi or even the one I'm going as this year, Vincent, might be that person's very best attempt at the costume when looking at budget, time, and skill. Last year was my first con and I went as a FF character... And did the best I could, still, I couldn't get the right pants, or the material for them, and so I had to make some sacrifices... And so my outfit wasn't perfect....*shrug*But I didn't flaunt it online either.... And I'm still going to do my best this year too. Hopefully it can come up to par with your standards, but if not, it really doesn't matter, it's still just as fun.
K-con 05-Zidane Tribal, Final Fantasy IX
K-con 06-Vincent Valentine, Final Fantasy VII
k-con 07/08-Papparazi!
K-con 09-Tsukasa Amou, Juvenile Orion
             Turk Vincent, Final Fantasy VII
             OroKabuto, Naruto?

Offline Starrys

• Oni
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2006, 10:22:51 am »
HAIR.
;lkajs;fkj   =3=;
I know a mention of it was made earlier, but this erks me.
Now, I've never actually been to a convention, so this'll be my first year. But, let's say... I'm an online cosplaying expert!  :'D  I've spent hours searching through thousands of cosplay pictures of all sorts online. And nothing gets me more irritated than seeing a good cosplay, except the person just wears their normal hair.
What's the point of just dressing up if you aren't going to go all the way? Good God people.  ==;

-Hopes.-

I have to agree with you, there.  When I go to K-con (I say when because it won't be this year, it'll be next year), me and my friend are going as Sakura and Ino.  It's really overdone, yes, but I plan on spending as much time on it as I can, so it won't just fall into the same category as the half assed ones.  I hope.  But I needed a coustume that would be reletively easy to make because, as I said, this is my first cosplay ever which is on a strict budget, and I'm not going to be able to whip up Yunas wedding dress, or a Belldany outfit.  Also  I've ran around the internet, looking at all the Sakura and Ino cosplay, and critiqing them, finding out what I should do to make mine better.  Hopefully it'll work ^_^;;;

But if not, there's always the Chiyo-dressed-in-her-pengiun-costume from Azumanga Daioh that I hope to be making, also.  So kawaii!

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2006, 02:08:55 am »
I agree with Ayaroki about hair needing to be correct. Color, Length, natural hair not showing under the wig... its all gotta be done right.. Aya better help me with my blonde wig at kcon or I am gonna be hopeless.. at least my hair is short though.. I am even dying mine for my Hinata cosplay.

Over done from the net lookups ive done (first time cosplayer this year)
Naruto
Bleach
Yuna
Dante (devil may cry) (some ugly ones in there *shudders* i remember the sick looking girl that did that.. I love dante but that was bad.)
Rikku X2 Style

Now I have to say I have seen some awsome costumes like... Auron.. someone did a great cosplay of that at one con... but seriously people throwing all the scraps out of your quilting basket into a shirt.. that isn't cosplay...

Another thing... If you are alil heavier (like me) Please for the love of anime choose a cosplay that doesn't let it all hang out. I choose to play characters that wont scar my fellow cosplayers for life. Like... for an example of this.. Rikku X2 style.. it ruins it for me to see the potbelly rikku.... its bad enough seeing normal people dress like that in the summer but to see people that I should love and adore because they got up the guts to cosplay.. that just makes me sad... *cries into Ayaroki's shoulder*

One last thing I can think of... Shoes...  I have seen alot of decent to awsome cosplays ruined by dirty old sneakers. Inuyasha for example... the person did an awsome job.. until you looked at their feet and saw the sneakers.. I know its a lot of walking in a con and that means you need good footwear, but inuyasha could at least wear sandals even if they were just flip flops.. the dirty sneakers well.. they made me very sad  :(

Ok despite all this I still have to applaud all who choose to take the time to get dressed up and cosplay!

Offline Fevenis

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2006, 09:58:04 am »
It seems like things have only gotten stale the veteran con goers… Being a first timer, I know I’ll be excited to see some of my favorite characters from animes and games that I’ve seen over the years all gathered in one place.

Who cares if their costumes aren’t perfect or over done? I know it’s been mentioned, but some people can’t afford to make good costumes, some don’t have the sewing skills, some simply don’t have the time, or maybe they haven’t been exposed to as much anime as you? Whatever the reason may be, I don’t think other people have the right to judge them so harshly or say if they can’t do a good costume, don’t do one at all, that’s b/s. They are going to have fun just like you, and if that means wearing just a head band and t-shirt, who are we to stomp on their parade?

I’m inspired now to go as Naruto, Inuyasha, and Ed so I can greet every one of you with a great big smile.

Offline babysugarbear28

• Chibi
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2006, 10:28:41 pm »
Quote from: "Fevenis"

I’m inspired now to go as Naruto, Inuyasha, and Ed so I can greet every one of you with a great big smile.

lmfao The thing is we realize not everybody has mad skills or money but just because you don't have those doesn't mean you need to be the same old generic cosplay character. I don't have mad skills, I don't have a ton of money... but I am gonna MAKE my own cosplay all the same.. Like I said there are basics that can kill a cosplay, Hair, Shoes, too much skin in skimpy clothing, dragging out scraps of whatever and calling it cosplay...

I have another to add to my list though... Kairi from KH2 ... that pink outfit.. ive seen it so many times.. there were uber ammounts of them running around in one con that i was looking at photos of.....thank goodness we are a smaller con with less copies runnin around

Offline JimmyDarkside

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/jimmydarkside
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2006, 10:47:35 pm »
I'm not sick of seeing any particular characters...  But I am sick of seeing bad wigs.  That irks me for some reason.  Costumes that look really thrown together bother me a little too, but I can't complain too much about that.  I am horrid at sewing myself, but I try my best.  ^^'
KumoriCon '07
Kino - Kino no Tabi
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

THE BOX!  GIVE ME THE BOX!!!!
-Boxes collected so far: 3
--SakuraCon 06 - Closing Ceremonies
--KumoriCon 06 - In line for something
--SakuraCon 07 - Club Sakura Dance

Offline makichan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2006, 12:03:07 am »
Quote from: "Fevenis"
It seems like things have only gotten stale the veteran con goers… Being a first timer, I know I’ll be excited to see some of my favorite characters from animes and games that I’ve seen over the years all gathered in one place.

Who cares if their costumes aren’t perfect or over done? I know it’s been mentioned, but some people can’t afford to make good costumes, some don’t have the sewing skills, some simply don’t have the time, or maybe they haven’t been exposed to as much anime as you? Whatever the reason may be, I don’t think other people have the right to judge them so harshly or say if they can’t do a good costume, don’t do one at all, that’s b/s. They are going to have fun just like you, and if that means wearing just a head band and t-shirt, who are we to stomp on their parade?

well said, that's awesome. A true cosplayer xD
"I like the way you fire that gun."
"Thanks. I like the way you take a bullet."

Offline Fevenis

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2006, 11:38:42 am »
8)

Offline {m}

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2006, 12:50:11 pm »
Now, as a first-time cosplayer, I don't have that much ground to speak upon.
But, I have researched, and I'm making basically all of my costume, minus a few props.

And it's going to be from Naruto.

And it's going to be a Sexy no Jutsu of Kakashi.

I can understand people's grudges against over-done characters, and the fact that Kakashi never goes around in such a form.

But I am one of those people that does not have the time, skill or money to make a full-on costume.
Not that I won't try my best.

Now, I've never gone to a con, this Kumori is to be my first, but I've been interested in Anime/Manga for some years now, and read Naruto before all this Cartoon Network craze, et cetera. ((I still watch good old Subbed episodes online. ;)))

I think, as some have stated before, that the point to go to a con and dress up is to enjoy yourself.
I'm not trying to change anyones opinion, everyone is entitled to their own, but I do request that no one basically shuns another because they do not think that their costume is good enough. It's not that I think any of you will do anything like this, but just the thought, disturbes me.

I thought people go to these things to enjoy themselves, and rejoice in the fact that they have found bretheran of sorts.

That's all.

((I wrote more than intended. Sorry. ^_~))
Hmmm what to do next year?

Who saw the SnJ Kakashi?!

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2006, 09:18:36 pm »
I had noticed this as well but I am more withdrawn than {m} is. Anyways I am very proud of you {m} you get a standing O from me! :D
Secrety secrets!