Author Topic: Age Question  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Miss Citrus

• Cabbit
    • El Jay
Age Question
« on: April 14, 2006, 09:03:53 pm »
I wasn't quite sure where to put this thread, so I apologize if it's in the wrong forum.

Anyways, I was looking into making a reservation at the Red Lion (to check rates and all that), when I noticed something: according to the hotel, an adult is 19 or older. I am now and will be at the time of Kumoricon 18 years old, and the one friend who might come with me would be turning 19 over the course of the convention (her birthday is the 3rd). I can't imagine that they would let people considered "children" stay in a room without "adults", yet legally I should be recognized as an adult.

So, I guess my question is, would I be allowed to stay at the hotel without somebody 19 or over, even though I'm technically an adult? And before anybody suggests it, the chances of getting a parent to come along are extremely slim, nor do I feel that I should have to.

I would be grateful for any sort of answer, even if it's one that would complicate my plans.
My Photo Archive + Cosplay.com + CosplayLab + ACP
Pika Pika Queen on SCMB.

Offline spindrift

• Sailor Scout
Age Question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 09:31:59 pm »
The redlion can set any policy they like as they are privately owned but since your friend will be 19 by the time of the con there should be no policy violations to worry about.

Note: I would not ask them directy because chances are they will not even ask you but if you raise the concern they might look at you funny and become stinkers about the issue.  

You will be with in thier policy and so you are safe so don't worry about it.
Make the world a better place with kumoricon.

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
Age Question
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 09:42:08 pm »
Good question, as this could potentially be a huge problem for us if 18yos can't get rooms as we expect them to be able to. Thank you for bringing it to our attention! Yes, this could complicate things for you and many others, potentially. Sorry :( We will be calling the Red Lion and clearing this discrepancy up as soon as we can, and get back to everyone on what we find out.

Kumoricon considers an adult to be anyone over the age of 18 (and who can act like it ;) )

Oh yeah, and Help, Suggestions, Complaints would probably be the best forum (this being a 'help' sort of thing,) but it isn't a big deal.

EDIT: Everyone please follow Spindrift's suggestion and don't call the hotel yourself. They don't need to be bombarded with hundreds of calls. Let us handle it.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Miss Citrus

• Cabbit
    • El Jay
Age Question
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2006, 10:30:43 pm »
Thank you for addressing my concern so quickly! Sorry that I posted in the wrong forum; somehow I missed the Help, Suggestions, Complaints area. ^^;;

If it doesn't work out, I'll guess we'll just have to look into finding some of-age roomates. Makes things more difficult than they would have been, but we'll manage.

Quote from: "spindrift"
The redlion can set any policy they like as they are privately owned but since your friend will be 19 by the time of the con there should be no policy violations to worry about.

Note: I would not ask them directy because chances are they will not even ask you but if you raise the concern they might look at you funny and become stinkers about the issue.  

You will be with in thier policy and so you are safe so don't worry about it.

My friend will not be 19 by the convention, but will be turning 19 during the convention (as I said before, her birthday is September 3rd), so she will only be old enough for one of the nights we would have been staying. There's a chance she might not come, as well. Otherwise, it would be a non-issue.

ARG, it's so frustrating. :\
My Photo Archive + Cosplay.com + CosplayLab + ACP
Pika Pika Queen on SCMB.