Author Topic: Thinking about cosplaying...  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Chacha

• Cabbit
Thinking about cosplaying...
« on: June 19, 2008, 04:21:31 pm »
Hey there, I kinda looked around Kumoricon last year, and was really interested. Now, I love the idea of cosplay, and I'd love to make my own costume, but I don't know how to use my sewing machine. This I could probably do. But, I'd have to make two costumes, one for me and one for my boyfriend. I was planning on us cosplaying together as Viral and Adiane, but would those be too hard for a first timer? What tips could you give me? I really need advice on how to make that tail....And also the kimono dress. Any patterns available for that type? Could I get a Yukata and just paint the butterfly design on it?

If anyone doesn't know what the characters look like (you poor soul, go on youtube and watch tengen toppa gurren lagann RIGHT NOW!), here are some references in the form of fanart i got off 4chan.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Re: Thinking about cosplaying...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:48:30 pm »
Well... First of all if the two of you do this I will love you both forever. Second of all: The tail may just be the easiest part of the whole thing. Large styrofoam balls covered in paperclay and then sanded and painted! All you would have to do to attach them together would be to run a wire through all of them so that they make a tail. The barb on the end you could sculpt from paperclay while covering the styrofoam, what since paperclay air-dries.

Her kimono-thing and her corset would be the harder parts. I myself would make the corset out of leather and put all sorts of boning in it, but that might be too hard for a beginner... Why not try just regular black cloth for that?

Now I'm not much for advising on patterns, but I would have to say that her kimono-thing would be pretty easy to just BS if push came to shove. Doing something like modifying a robe pattern to give it large bell sleeves and a neck like that wouldn't be too terribly hard. But then again, I just put stuff on a dressform and hack at it with scissors until it looks right. So please don't mind me ^_^;

Viral would be rather interesting. For his armor I would suggest the craft foam method, and a pair of big honkin' plastic werewolf hands for his mole hands.

Maybe you should try asking in the TTGL thread on cosplay.com? http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=116088

Everyone there is very nice, they'll be able to help you!

Offline Chacha

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 03:49:42 pm »
Thanks for the info! Super helpful.

But...I might have changed my mind......Now I'm thinking, what if Boyfriend was Viral and I crossplayed as Leeron?

Would be far cuter, and also easier....

I already have super tiny hair, so that part would be easy, just dye it blue.

Boyfriend already has hair just like Viral, but I'd have to bleach it, and he would rather kill himself than have blonde hair. XD

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 04:12:20 pm »
But then every time you got near him he'd get to jump back and brandish his cleaver at you... XD

The hardest part for Leeron would be his bright purple spandex bodysuit. Other than that, you'd be golden.

Offline Chacha

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 04:19:55 pm »
Yeah, that would be a bit hard. But I always thought it was just a pantsuit, isn't it flared at the bottom? I just figured you could make a top and pants out of the same blue material. Any material suggestions? Or other Lon cosplays I could be referred to?

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 04:23:17 pm »
Try the search feature in the link I gave you to the TTGL thread of cosplay.com! It's in the right-hand corner of the actual post area. You'll be able to find just about anything.

Offline Chacha

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 04:25:29 pm »
Sweet. Thankies.