Author Topic: Not a lot of activity here--are we chatting somewhere else?  (Read 19294 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Not a lot of activity here--are we chatting somewhere else?
« on: October 14, 2019, 04:45:18 pm »
Where else are people having the big Kumoricon discussions? Is there a Discord or something for it that I'm not seeing?

Offline LovelyAngel

• Cabbit
    • Dark Shiny Object
Re: Not a lot of activity here--are we chatting somewhere else?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 04:25:14 pm »
That's a good question. I'll be interested if you find out anything.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 12:06:08 am »
Sadly, most of the action tends to take place on Facebook.  I'd love to see more conversing done here, like in "the old days."
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2019, 02:12:36 pm »
Sadly, most of the action tends to take place on Facebook.  I'd love to see more conversing done here, like in "the old days."

I miss the old days. I hate trying to follow things on Facebook. Feels like a giant page of spam.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 01:00:48 pm »

I miss the old days. I hate trying to follow things on Facebook. Feels like a giant page of spam.

I know, right?  It's also more annoying/challenging to find specific talking points on Facebook than here.  At least things are organized on the forums.

Offline PicklePet

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 06:55:38 am »
Amen to all of the above. (Well except the good old days, I'm newish to Portland so I can't vouch for that : P )

The best way to revive the forums would be to just start using them again I think? I see 132 guests online atm, assuming they're not all bots for some reason I'm guessing they would make accounts and be posting if they saw activity they were interested in. It would be just a handful of people to start and who knows how long it could take to gather momentum, but that's how trends start after all.
I at least plan to post whatever pictures I take at con on this forum, I'd love to see any one else do the same.
It doesn't have to be quiet in here. Let's talk again. Just start.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 12:38:51 pm »
^ I like this idea.  We can also try to spread the word at the con itself; I'm not even sure how many of the current attendees even know we have a forum.

Offline PicklePet

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 03:19:03 pm »
Yaas! My delivery will probably be awkward but I'll tell people as I'm taking pics that I'll be posting them here. XD I'm not sure how else to tastefully bring it up, maybe I'll whip up a little badge and wear it on my backpack or something. Something like, "Revive The Forum" over the Kumoricon logo.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 09:11:41 pm »
Well, I'll be running the Otaku 25+ panel on Sunday, so I can include the forums in my "meeting agenda."

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 03:52:15 am »
I relate to how you all feel. I miss this place being active as much as you do.
Several years ago, I posted a topic here asking if the message board was still important, because for most of the year, people weren't posting that often.
When I did, a lot of people responded saying it was, claiming it was the best way to organize gatherings, and they were right. At that time, the board was very active when the con was getting close and right after it ended, since people were posting pictures.
Back then, you think the forums would've continued to remain active that way, and it's sad that they haven't. I still prefer forums over social media sites, because it's so much easier to arrange events. That was why I was able to organize three Team Haberkorn dinners in the past, and when I tried to arrange one two years ago on Facebook, no one responded, because it's impossible to keep topics there organized.
Maybe it's just me, but I think a lot of the inactivity has to do with the con's website not having an immediately visible link to it. While you can still find a a link there when you put the arrow on where it says "Get involved," I think people are more likely to visit if they see the word Forums on main menu.
I still prefer message boards over social media, because topics are more organized and so many Facebook pages tend to be very hostile.
I agree with making efforts to make this place more active and like the ideas that PicklePet and Washougal_Otaku have and there are a lot of members here that I miss talking to.
One thing I think would be good to suggest to the staff would be to have the forums listed on the main menu instead of a sub-link. It was approximately at that time when it became less active and I think a more noticeable link would really help.
I want to see this place become more active again, and it would be depressing if it got closed. Hopefully, we can make it happen.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 07:00:23 pm by PaladinCecil79 »

Offline PicklePet

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 08:31:15 pm »
Waah shy but if you see this you know it's me. ; P Feel free to say 'Hi Pickle,' and don't mind my social awkwardness. I'm kinda quiet in person but a chatterbox in writing.

I'm glad you have a bigger net of influence than me, Washougal. ^u^

@Paladin: Hooray, another believer! There is a link to it in the last sentence of homepage, but a bigger hook certainly would help.It's true, also I feel like the ability to 'like' posts removes incentive to come up with thoughtful responses, you can only look through one giant chronological feed of every post made - meaning your post will only be seen by the people who happen to be looking at the group at the moment and the people that check every single notification in their feed. Facebook is convenient for being tapped into Kumoricon's announcements if you're already on there, but in terms of talking to people...

I just feel like this would be one of the best tools for keeping the community connected in between cons - and isn't that connection one of the biggest appeals of the event in the first place? If you like going to the con to meet cool people interested in the same stuff, or just to bask in that atmosphere - you should totally be on here!Don't be afraid of posting and not getting a reply, don't get discouraged from checking back every now and then, don't be afraid of replying to some one weeks or months after their post - worthwhile things take persistence. If you find the courage to take the first step, others will follow! (Tap into your inner protagonist! lol)
That's my pitch.
Have a great con y'all, I'll see you on the other end.

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 05:51:53 am »
PicklePet: I completely agree with what you're saying. I'll definitely work on posting here more often and hopefully, we can work on making this place more active.
And I relate to what you said about Facebook. There's nothing wrong with getting likes, and I often like to receive them, but as friendly as they can be, it means so much to get an actual reply, and at Facebook, I wish they'd come more frequently.

Also, I love the Lloyd and Genis chibis you have. Those are awesome. It's always nice to encounter a fellow Tales fan.

Offline PicklePet

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 10:28:33 am »
Photo dump posted in the cosplay forum! (also with links to people's photo posts on FB as I see them)

Also, I've had a couple more thoughts about this whole forum situation - I can't decide how much of a factor it might be that this forum host site seems a bit outdated - but regardless of that, A. people like things that are new, B. things that are new have an excuse to be officially announced. So - I've recently started studying web and app design. I'm officially making it my goal to build my idea of an app for the con (whether they can actually use it or not) - goal number two can be making a website that links up with it, and what would be on that site? An updated forum. I'm gonna make a new thread with my app ideas.

PaladinCecil: Dahaha thank you, I know they're super cute. > < If only I hadn't been an impoverished little teenager when I found them, I'd have the whole party. ToS is still my favorite, though that may also be because the only other ones I owned myself were Legendia and Graces, I only played some of the others when visiting friends - do you have a favorite?

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2019, 01:05:42 am »
That's a good question. There are so many that I liked. I think my faves are Eternia, Symphonia and Abyss. I liked Phantasia and Legendia a lot as well and my first two RPG cosplays were Lloyd and Zelos.

Offline PicklePet

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 07:00:22 am »
Ooh, you're a real OG fan! Nice! XD I always wanted Abyss because the free run. And I've been wanting to cosplay Lloyd for forever~ Do you have pictures somewhere? : DAlso I JUST realized your username is a reference to Final Fantasy IV, isn't it? That one was a little too early for me but Final Fantasy VI is my childhood, did you like that one? > u < It's my ultimate dream to cosplay somebody in a suit of magitek armor.

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 10:24:23 pm »
I do. You can view them in this link, along with some other Tales cosplays (I've never been good at posting screenshots on message boards. Sharing links has always been easier). The characters I'm dressed as are Zelos, Lloyd and Judas from Tales of Destiny 2. You'll see me at 1:50, 2:05, 2:55 to 3:50,3:59 to 4:10, 4:25 to 4:55, and 5:00 to 5:15. Ironically, I never played Tales of Destiny 2, but at the time, so many people were cosplaying from then current Tales games, so I wanted to do something different. Surprisingly, a decent number of people recognized the character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74_JoG9KuGc

My user name is a reference to the Final Fantasy IV character. He's been one of my favorite RPG protagonists for a long time and is someone I would've cosplayed by now if his outfit wasn't so complicated. I strongly suggest playing that game when you get a chance. Even today, it still holds up as one of the best of the series (I started playing it back in '92 when I was thirteen and to this day is one of my fondest RPG memories), but I recommend playing the Super Nintendo version first, then the DS remake. Both versions are great, but the latter will be a much better experience when playing it after the former.

If you could cosplay in magitek armor, that would be awesome. I've never seen someone do that before.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:23:45 am by PaladinCecil79 »

Offline PicklePet

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 07:36:45 pm »
Sorry for the late reply - I had a small panic attack when I realized exactly how close it is to the holidays and been busy with preparations.
Aw, I love the pic with the gal hugging your Lloyd - I find it so fun when some one loves your character so much they wanna hug you upon seeing you. You definitely get points for uniqueness with Judas!
Oh I trust you, I'm generally a little mistrusting of remakes any ways, though I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the original... I don't really have a working SNES any more, haha.

Honestly I don't think I'll get it done until I'm like, 40 (unless my life drastically changes) but I'm determined. I want it to be on stilts too - I don't think I'll be able to make one truly to scale but I'll get as close as I can.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 03:32:20 pm »
Maybe it's just me, but I think a lot of the inactivity has to do with the con's website not having an immediately visible link to it. While you can still find a a link there when you put the arrow on where it says "Get involved," I think people are more likely to visit if they see the word Forums on main menu.
I still prefer message boards over social media, because topics are more organized and so many Facebook pages tend to be very hostile.

One thing I think would be good to suggest to the staff would be to have the forums listed on the main menu instead of a sub-link. It was approximately at that time when it became less active and I think a more noticeable link would really help.

That's a pretty good idea.  Perhaps someone should shoot an email to the correct department (which appears to be Publicity).

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 06:53:29 pm »
Washougal_Otaku: That's a good idea.

PicklePet: Sorry for taking so long to respond. I had a lot going on last week.
Regarding the Lloyd cosplay. I know what you mean. It is nice when someone wants to hug you because they love the character so much. What's cool about that moment was it was the same place where I got a hug two years before when I cosplayed as Duo from Gundam Wing. I miss getting a lot of reactions when cosplaying. It doesn't happen remotely as much as before and I had some good luck when I did the Tales characters, with the most notable being Zelos. A lot of people were impressed and on one occasion, a girl gave me a stick of Pocky, since you get free items from females when he's in the front of the party.

Regarding Final Fantasy 4. I recommend going to a store that sells used games and getting a Super Nintendo, so you can play it. And I know what you mean about wanting a remake to be good. The DS one totally delivers, but is a better experience if you play the Super Nintendo version first. There's a lot to like about the original and playing through it will make the remake even more satisfying. Despite how long playing through the original would take, it's well worth the time.

Offline PicklePet

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2019, 10:03:31 am »
No worries!You cosplayed as Duo too, niiiice~ That reaction to your Zelos is awesome, props to that gal for making that reference. ^_^ You've reminded me how any time I was low on gels I would just exit and re-enter the town with Zelos as the party leader a couple times and do a round talking to all the ladies, hahaha.The cosplay scene has definitely changed - as more people get into it there's a growing expectation for things to look professional, thanks to professional cosplayers, companies that mass produce cosplays and commissions. Not to mention there are just more people cosplaying in general at events so it's harder to stick out. Not to say this is all bad, it creates a larger pool of cool cosplays to be seen. But I do feel like there's been a general shift from appreciating the thought that goes into a cosplay to appreciating how polished it looks, and that makes me sad.

Now that you say just buy an SNES - I was convinced it'd be super expensive (since I was able to sell my used Harvest Moon SNES cartridge for like, ~150 I think) but the system and the cartridge are being sold for less than that so hot dang, I guess I will buy one. XD

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2019, 01:08:01 am »
Zelos was a lot of fun to do. I even wrote down some of his quotes to memorize and a number of girls were impressed when they heard them.
You do have a point about the cosplay scene. Although cons have always had a large percentage of cosplayers, there is definitely a higher number, just because of the growing attendance. And I know what you mean about appreciation. From '11 to '14, I chose to dress as Locke, Edgar and Sabin, and despite good resemblances, few people recognized me. During that time, I also cosplayed Soul from the scene where he got caught cheating on the test and was certain that I a lot of people would react, just because the scene was so memorable, and I had never seen anyone do him that way before.
And that was the easiest one I had ever done, because all I needed was a white wig, a stitch mark drawn on my chest and blue swim shorts with bone cut-outs stuck on.
And at Kumoricon '12, I saw a girl in a Locke cosplay that was better and fancier than the one I wore the previous year and even it had few reactions.
But although I didn't get frequent comments and picture requests for the FF6 characters I did, I still had fun with the costumes, since I was able to find ways to get in-character. (i.e. As Sabin, I acted out cosplay character battles with blitz moves.)

Regarding a Super Nintendo, that's great to know. Harvest Moon is one of a small number of SNES games that sells for a lot, with another being Earthbound (a game I regret not getting the year it was released), which is to RPGs what Honus Wagner is to baseball cards, although less expensive.
If you can't find a SNES copy of FF4 at a used game store, be sure to order one on-line.

PS: If you own a Nintendo Switch, get Go Vacation if you don't have it. I play that game a lot with Miis I made of different video game and anime characters and would like to find more people to play it with. It would be awesome to do different mini-games multi-player with other people as names from Zelda, Final Fantasy, Tales, Soul Eater or Ouran.

PPS: Given that we're getting pretty off-topic (lol), it might be better that we continue this discussion in private messaging. If you'd like to PM me, feel free to.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:10:27 am by PaladinCecil79 »

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2021, 07:08:48 pm »
I started cosplaying and attending Kumoricon since I was 18 or 19 back in 2005/2006. I've been mostly a lone wolf and a splash card drifter when it comes to groups and friend clans.

In highlighting my observances of the two active topics in this thread:
1. I for one would love to see the resurrection of the active forums once more. Many a time I sought tips and ideas, cosplay meet and greets, and cast members for cosplay skits, even met someone of equal age and interest whom I shared 5 grand years with. One of the current trends is having ribbons one can stick on their badges, so perhaps make one that says "#BRINGBACKTHEFORUMS" or something. In the current pace of things, it sorts out topics better than Facebook or Discord, though slower in chat process and has a Personal Message but not an Instant Message setting.
2. In regards to the one who stood up and opened up about their assailants, I pray the cons you go to are more enjoyable and attendees more vigilant. And the day you do return to Kumo may it be in better shape than it was. It is never easy to come forward with such information.I myself play it straightfoward, though a tad shy, and always keep my own interests within adult-age bounds. I'm not opposed to games and activities with kid-folk, but I know how to keep things age-appropriate, and observe that "no" means "no."
It is never truly easy to tell someone's age by adult-ish appearance without asking them and having to trust their word, or having some sort of designatior as per the badges at con. But even those from afar are difficult to tell and only from the side the badge is on. At one of the more recent festivals I went to, in lieu of a badge, they had a cheaper but clearly color coded wristband. Red meant under 18, yellow meant between 18 and 21, and green for 21+. Perhaps a badge and wristband combo should be implemented.
But at any con or festival sadly, there are probably just as many adults either romantically desperate or adult anime influenced that seek to snag minors as there are minors who try to "trade up" their status to try out the adult parties and things which are "for adults only" with obvious reason. It almost makes one not trust anyone and only go to con or similar for the activities and merch, and little else. No meeting of friends, no making of new friends. Or worse, scare one into never going to one again. It also wounds the faith of those honest few who would love to meet people their own age and interest, and grow and expand those friendships or relationships with good intent and trust.

Looking at myself in my 34th year at this coming Kumo I ask myself and extend to others to ask themselves this stringed question: What am I going to con for? What do I hope to encounter, what do I hope to do, what am I down for?
Be it the cosplay meets or the cons itself it is always expected that minors will outnumber adults 10 to 1 or greater. At con it's easy to have simple interactions between all-age attendees such as sitting in a hallway circle shooting the breeze, or Smash or card games in the gaming hall, or taking photos of each other's cosplays. Not so easy to navigate are interactions that involve consent and require paying more attention (if not full attention already) to badge and age status, and perhaps previous years of "knowing each other." This spans from simple hugs and ye old "glomps" to group dinners, room parties and other extra-con things. A lot of times this may create a dilemma for some in a group, such as "Let's go to that bar...but oh no, there is a minor with us." Or "we're going to our room party but it's minors and our chaperone only," leaving the older ones to go "well then...where am I to go?" It is not like adult-age people are impossible to find at a con, but also not everyone has the pleasure of arranging meetups or parties beforehand or having their clans of friends they've known for years to bring along with them.
At previous cosplay meetups it became somewhat of a mixed bag as the minor/adult ratio weighed heavy in either one side or the other. And again the question of age and consent, interactions and activities other than showing up in cosplay would arise, this time without badges or such. From personal experience, there had been some meetups that started Downtown Portland that opened up with walking around the malls and park areas and little icebreaker games. As the groups sometimes gained and lost few, there were times just following along in cosplay when I felt a slight anxiety and like a third wheel even if the group was a mix of minors/young adults, and wondered "Am I okay to still be in the group? No one's expressed displeasure, but would they care or be concerned if I left? Would they wonder if they did something wrong? Did I come all this way just to go home right away? What did I come to the meet to do and what do I hope to gain from this? If it's anime/game and cosplay friends would they want to swap numbers or FB exchange? I'd rather not give the wrong impression of me." The last thing anyone wants is to be told they creep someone out, and even more so when they don't know what they're doing to cause it other than simply existing, or how to alter it aside from going away.
Those old sayings "nothing ventured, nothing gained" and "stick your hand over the flame and you might get burned" come to mind.

At this coming Kumo I simply plan to walk alone as I usually do and take what friends or adventures come my way.
The hardest part of walking alone is reminding yourself that you are not alone.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 12:11:37 pm »
^ I agree with all of this.

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2021, 02:36:51 pm »
TurboSaiyanJason: You have so many good points. You're definitely not alone with it comes to wanting the forums more active. This place has always been great for arranging different kinds of gatherings, and it's a lot easier to plan them at a message board compared to a social media site.
I was able to arrange two Todd Haberkorn fan dinners here, one which he was able to attend. They were both in '11 and '13, when this place was more active.
But when I was last here four years ago, I wanted to do a couple. But I almost had to completely attempt it at the Facebook group, and got one person interested at best.

Of the lack of activity here, I think a lot of it has to do with a link to the board not being shown on the front page, like it used to be. It was after you had to put the arrow on the words at the top to find which word would list the forum link. Before doing that, I know it was a lot more active shortly before and after the con.
I've suggested that the word Forums show up on the front page, like it used to. If they had continued doing that, it would've helped. If we suggest this and can get them to list the board link more noticeably like before, that might make a difference.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2021, 12:38:54 pm »
^ Oh yeah... there was a forum button once upon a time.  Bringing it back isn't a bad idea.

I think something else that might be a good idea is to use word-of-mouth at the con.  Every time we meet someone new, we could be all "You should join the KCon forums," or "Did you know about the forums?" or "I prefer the forums, it's easier to find things there."

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2021, 01:10:15 pm »
That is a great idea. We should do both that and a forum button. Word of mouth if often a great way to spread news.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2021, 03:23:38 pm »
I could do some advertising during my panels, as well.  I have three I am hosting this year, though one of them may be a waste of time since it is meant for children.

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2021, 04:52:43 pm »
Maybe walk around at con with a giant foam tablet that says "Bring back the Kumo FORUM button!" on it?
It reminds me of the time I almost made a giant PS1 Memory Card with "I saved the game" on it to avoid losing the game......and BTW, y'all just lost the game! (it's baaaaack!)
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2021, 01:08:33 pm »
Or have the forums be your cosplay.   ;D

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2021, 10:15:07 pm »
Maybe walk around at con with a giant foam tablet that says "Bring back the Kumo FORUM button!" on it?
It reminds me of the time I almost made a giant PS1 Memory Card with "I saved the game" on it to avoid losing the game......and BTW, y'all just lost the game! (it's baaaaack!)
Great idea. Also, D:
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:15:27 pm by JaegerDarkness »
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline TyCruzsuba2021

• Oni
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2021, 02:39:20 pm »
Hey everybody, just wanted to say "Hi". This year was my second year attending Kumoricon and I thought I would join the forums to be more involved in the community  :)

Prussia, thats an awful, terrible experience you had. Im really sorry you will never be returning to Kumoricon but I understand why :-[

TurboSaiyanJason, great idea with the tablet button lol. I love it!  ;D

Long live Kumoricon!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2022, 08:10:00 pm »
Hey everybody, just wanted to say "Hi". This year was my second year attending Kumoricon and I thought I would join the forums to be more involved in the community  :)

Welcome!  I hope this means you plan on coming to the con again this year!