Author Topic: 2015: Cosplay Progress Thread  (Read 6374 times)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
2015: Cosplay Progress Thread
« on: February 13, 2015, 04:33:30 am »
Let's get cranking with a brand spanking new cosplay progress thread! I know there's a little mini one on FB that's being lost in the timeline-woes, but here's one for us die-hard forum-ers.  ;)

What are yoooou working on? What'd you buy to get working? Did you break something? Tell us all of your tales of woe and success.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: 2015: Cosplay Progress Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 12:24:10 pm »
Pretty much everything other than Sora is a WIP..I probably won't bring Akaito this year if I can finish what I want to bring for Music Related stuff instead..

Right now this is my progress on Chandelure Gijinka from Pokemon:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3536643/
And the wig progress:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3540860/
I still have to make the cage over the skirt. I have some aluminum strips to make it stiff.

Here's my Spirit progress from Soul Eater (the first 2 pics, also the first pic isn;t accurate anymore, I'm making a new back piece):
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/464785/
I still need to make it so the other arm scythe has a strap on it, and I need to fill the back one with spray foam, then seal and paint. Then I need to make straps for the back one to stay on. Then I need to cut the slits in the rest of the outfits to make it so the straps have places to go under the outfit.

Here's the music one I wanna do in place of Akaito:
http://www.renders-graphiques.fr/image/upload/normal/Fille_rousse_Apple_Guitar_Headphone_-_By_Sacha-Chan.png
I only just found it. I have no idea who it is..I wanna make that though. I'd make it so hat the body actualy has real working speakers and I'll be blasting music from them. It'll likely be Vocaloid and anime themes via iPod.

I might wear my OC too..She's about done. I keep freaking changing her..
I decided since adding pouches straight to the dress is not working like I hoped (it weighs it down oddly and whatever), I drew her with a neat fakie corset. THAT will have the pouches on it.

So far, I think this is it for my Kumoricon cosplays..Idk..I might be foregetting some..
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 12:24:41 pm by Sailor-Jeimi »

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 04:22:03 pm »
I'm making odd progress. I'm only planning on 2 new costumes for Kumori.

For now I'm done with the sword for Leon. One gloss coat a day is boring and slow. Actually making the costume, that won't be for a while.

Kanata is close to halfway done. I have 2 more clouds to make, more trim to add, then some final details on the jacket. I still have one whole himo left to make, the ears and the tail. Lots of little things that all require purchasing materials.
Kumori'15

Offline animefan209

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 07:29:42 pm »
I'm almost done with my L cosplay. I just need the wig and to make a few small adjustments to the shirt.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:05 pm »
Got a bit done myself.
1. My group is doing Team CFVY from RWBY.
So far I don't have a current picture of everything I have..I have the base bag (need to get the bullet strap and the gold studs to add to it), and all of her accessories (chain for the 2 chain necklaces and one chain wrapped around her arm, black "pearl looking" necklaces, and 2 roses [one on her wrist and one that holds her scarf on]).
I also got my wig today. I also have the beret and glasses. This I have a pic of:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3543133/
The wig was commissioned for me.

2. Styled a new wig for Sora. Some of you may remember me as the Sora from Kingdom Hearts 2 that was running around with an Ultima Weapon Keyblade. Well I now have a much better wig:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3542822/

3. I don't know if I'm bringing Cloud or not, but I started remaking it..I have the Sword mostly done:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3543148/

4. Last but not least, since Christine Marie Cabanos is going to be a guest this year, I decided that I will cosplay Nepgear from Hyperdimension Neptunia, who she voices. I already have her sword made..I made it like, fall 2014..
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3519623/
And her outfit I already have a pattern for, which is easy..
I'm also going to be hosting a gathering for the makers of that and other games, NIS America, Compile Heart and Idea Factory.

5. I also do not know if I'm bringing Spirit from Soul Eater, either. But I'm still finishing up..I am making him have his scythe pieces sticking out of him. I need to cut into the rest of the outfit and strap it up.

So that's my progress so far..I also still need to start Gohan after Sakuracon is over, as well as making Maki's (Love Live) winter practice outfit for normal walking around.

Offline riku-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:32:57 pm »
i'm in the progress of hand making a len kagamine cosplay from the song the lost memory by vocaloid, I'll be picking up the fabric within the week.
~~Kumoricon 2018~~
~~RIKU-CHAN

Offline Tranny

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 12:47:50 pm »
Only doing a couple new cosplays this year myself and the only one I currently have progress for is My fire nation Sokka from Avatar.

And believe me when I say that making home made frog closures are a pain!
the gloves took about 3 different tries before I was happy.

Next will be working on the capelet and the arm bands.

Offline animefan209

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 09:55:34 pm »
I finished my L cosplay and I'm slowly making progress on my Yusei cosplay. I just need the jacket, wig, and gloves for Yusei.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:57:26 pm by animefan209 »

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 07:50:31 pm »
Few updates.
My Cloud armor is done. It's just the shoulder armor for this picture, the bracer still needs weathering. But before I get to the picture a little info.
I decided to go for a weathered look, but also an industrial look. I didn't use the traditional bolts like he has. I found these heat hose pieces (you'll see in the pic) becasue there WERE no light weight bolts. Only metal ones that made it WAY heavy..Well I wanted it to look nice and dirty, industrial, and used..And by "industrial I mean: Cloud's armor is suppose to look like it's been forged out of scraps and junk..That's why the official FFVII images it looks chipped ad stuff..Well that's what I wanted it to look like. That, the bracer and the sword.
Anyway here's the armor:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/RazorXCore_2006/armor0_zps6nh1o4sa.jpg
And here's the sword (it's not done, and since this was taken, I have also made the striking edge look a little shinier):
http://s88.photobucket.com/user/RazorXCore_2006/media/sword0_zpsjtg9x6hw.jpg.html

Next up is my friends Keyblade..It's not MY item, but I'm making it for them, so it counts to me..
I'm also not done with this either, but it's easy becasue it's brush painting haha
It's Riku's Way To The Dawn Keyblade from Kingdom Hearts:
http://s88.photobucket.com/user/RazorXCore_2006/media/way2_zps9o0aephk.jpg.html

Offline KingOfAutumn

• Cabbit
    • RMD
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 10:49:50 am »
I'm bringing entirely new cosplays to Kumori this year!
I handmade my DRAMAtical Murder:Re:Connect Ren cosplay, which is almost done I just need platform boots (because my Aoba is taller than me /cries)
And I'm planning on hand making my DRAMAtical Murder Morphine!Mizuki as well (also needing platforms because my Aoba is taller than me /still crying)
I bought my entire Kotori Minami Special Gift: Paradise Live!/Takaramonos cosplay for my Love Live! group that is only growing!
My girlfriend bought me my Hōzuki cosplay and I finished my Hinata (Haikyū) cosplay.
There really isn't much progress being made on my behalf because I'm only making 2/5 of my cosplays. And they're pretty simple.
I hope they turn out okay and people recognize me /flies away

Kotori                               Ren                         Hinata
The other cosplays don't have pictures yet
IG - @xiao.sama
Tumblr - all-u-ken-eat-ravioli.tumblr.com
--
KumoriCon 2016
{Still Unplanned}

Offline otakunobody

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 06:32:00 pm »
So this year, being the semi-responsible person I claim to be, I've started working on my cosplays for this year long before the panic season of summer.

There hasn't been any progress concerning Kiki, but she is fully planned out so that is a plus.
However, I have made progress on my Hiro cosplay. :3
I have the t-shirt for him definitely an supposedly my friend is lending me her white long sleeve shirt but I'm not going to rely on that jus to be safe. I do have the grey converse shoes though.
All I have left for him is the jacket, pants, wig, and shoelaces. And I cant decide if I want to make a baymax plushie to carry around or his first robot (the black one).
Kumoricon 2015
- Kiki [Kiki's Delivery Service]
- Hiro [Big Hero 6]

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 12:11:03 am »
I'm having the hardest time finding the fur I want for Kanata. I think I'll cave and visit resale shops and see what they have for coats and see what I can cut up...
Other than that, I haven't made any new progress. Too bad cause JoAnn's is having one of their largest sales this weekend.
Kumori'15

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 08:32:25 pm »
Started my Gohan cosplay (and actually came REALLY close to finishing before I stopped lol) today.
This will be the first cosplay I made completely on my own, with no commissioned or bought parts (well aside from a base wig that I'll be styling into his hair lol)
The good thing is the hard part is over. The pants..That was something I don't wanna do again lol
The rest I've already made before, nothing hard for me, so this is really gonna be epic.
Here's what I have so far:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3549845/

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 07:32:06 pm »
I feel you Jeimi. I hate making pants. Getting that perfect shape so they fit right is such a pain. The pants I made for Kagamine Len last year were actually about 10" too big and I had to take them in to fit. Those are really good colors for Gohan.

Bought the fabric for Kanata's tail and ears, and just did a test dye for the lighter-color. I need to go back to the store on Wed and get black to mix with the blue so I can get a darker shade... If that doesn't work, I'll just use the black fabric I bought for the dark parts. I've already got the stuffing, and just bought the magnets, and tabi.

I should be done with Kanata before the end of May for sure. *dances around excitedly*
Kumori'15

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 08:18:43 pm »
I feel you Jeimi. I hate making pants. Getting that perfect shape so they fit right is such a pain. The pants I made for Kagamine Len last year were actually about 10" too big and I had to take them in to fit. Those are really good colors for Gohan.

Bought the fabric for Kanata's tail and ears, and just did a test dye for the lighter-color. I need to go back to the store on Wed and get black to mix with the blue so I can get a darker shade... If that doesn't work, I'll just use the black fabric I bought for the dark parts. I've already got the stuffing, and just bought the magnets, and tabi.

I should be done with Kanata before the end of May for sure. *dances around excitedly*

So you know my pain TOO well lol Mine wasn't as bad, becasue mine are suppose to be way too big..That's kinda the whole point with DBZ pants lol Len's? Not so much haha So you had it harder.

Also can't wait to see your Kanata!!!! I might still end up doing Mizuki..Since it's simple..
I was trying to make a gathering for the Idea Factory/Compile Hearts and other companies like that, but I know there's little to no interest..You..Me..And like..The one Neptune I found once..And I saw all of 2 Purple Hearts at Sakuracon..Totally not enough interest there for a whole shoot..Then again, You are the only one not from Hyperdimension Neptunia (Since I'm trying to make a Nepgear cosplay from that game).

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 10:54:52 pm »
Sorry to double post, but I have a progress update again, and since it's not Gohan, I figured a new post was in order.

So I am cosplaying Coco from RWBY. I just found the best boots today so I thought i'd take a shot in what I have so far.
So here's Coco:

And here's my Cosplay:

I obviously do not have some parts yet. I have the stuff to make the waist thingy, and the arm band the rose is attached to, as well as the scarf will be made using the same fabric as the arm band. I couldn't get the boots in the shot, but whatevs. I also have gloves saved on ebay that I will be buying for this. And it's probably obvious, but the brown belt the buckle is attached to, is not the belt I'm actually going to use..But I needed it there to hold the buckle on lol Then I need to get whatever that is that's around her neck lol The huge thing..

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 12:50:03 am »
Added another costume to my list for this con, Thug Nagisa from Free! 50% Off for that I just need some black paint and random casual outfit pieces that look like any of his outfits or I'll get/ make something similar to his jammers.
--
Once I get a leotard and some time with my sister again progress can be made on April Fools' Prussia from Beautiful World Hetalia. The collar, cuffs, and apron are in need of buttons but are otherwise done.
--
After my next paycheck I'll be picking up some white and brown amaretto linen to make 2P Nyo!Prussia's cape. Still looking for a pattern for pants  to modify for her. Boob tube fabric has been purchased and is waiting to be made.
--
Big sister will be finishing an outfit she started for Romeo from RomeoXJuliet.
--
This leaves space for one outfit for con or I'll just wear 2P Nyo!Prussia again. I'll post pictures in my next post.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:32:47 am by baka-imouto »
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 10:42:22 pm »
Just got navy and black dye to experiment with dye colors for the tail and ears for Kanata.

Jeimi - I'd rather make the pants too large, waste the fabric and then have to take them in than make something too small.
The Neptune from the last 2 years is one of my friends actually lol I have a friend who wants to do Iffy, but she doesn't know how to sew and has issues with funds to attend conventions- but it is a goal of hers. For a shoot, we could just do a combined shoot - I kind of put Ar Tonelico, Disgaea, Trinity Universe and Hyperdimension Neptunia all into one pot since their gameplays are so similar. I think they're from the same company; the first being Disgaea? I know I've seen several Disgaea cosplayers throughout the years. They're kind of like looking for Tales of cosplayers, present, but kind of like playing Where's Waldo?
Kumori'15

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 10:42:17 am »
Just got navy and black dye to experiment with dye colors for the tail and ears for Kanata.

Jeimi - I'd rather make the pants too large, waste the fabric and then have to take them in than make something too small.
The Neptune from the last 2 years is one of my friends actually lol I have a friend who wants to do Iffy, but she doesn't know how to sew and has issues with funds to attend conventions- but it is a goal of hers. For a shoot, we could just do a combined shoot - I kind of put Ar Tonelico, Disgaea, Trinity Universe and Hyperdimension Neptunia all into one pot since their gameplays are so similar. I think they're from the same company; the first being Disgaea? I know I've seen several Disgaea cosplayers throughout the years. They're kind of like looking for Tales of cosplayers, present, but kind of like playing Where's Waldo?

That's basically what I did for Gohan..The pants were freaking HUGE, and I just took them in after I made them.

Yea they are all the same companies. I hadn't seen that many Disgaea cosplayers..If you have that's great. I'd love to have a shoot, but I don't think there will be the time with all I have going on..As well as no one posted in my thread about a photo shoot. I can't work with everyone's schedules if no one says anything..

And yea I know Neptune is your friends, we talked about this before. And I really wanted to cosplay IF too. She's my favorite. I only decided on Nepgear becasue it's easy and her voice actress will be there.

Offline Vivi

• Oni
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 11:53:09 pm »
My main project is my Oreko cosplay for day two from lol's .flow, which happens to be my favorite Yume Nikki fan game!
I'm actually really excited to do this since Oreko's character design is very fluid and open to interpretation.

http://dotflow.wdfiles.com/local--files/oreko/oreko.png

http://dotflow.wdfiles.com/local--files/oreko/8375939_m.png

I shall be making an entire (but very simplified) diving helmet from scratch since I have a very large head.  The main goal I have is for it to look smooth.  I don't want it to look like a middle school paper mache volcano project.  Perhaps there is a way I can glaze it?

I considered on buying a helmet, but all of the kiddy plush diving helmets I've found online would not be comfortable on any hot convention day.  Besides, where is the fun and adventure in that?  I want to try something new for once. 

I have never made something like this before so I am currently making a general list of materials taken from deadmau5 helmet tutorials I've seen floating around YouTube.  I am trying to do extensive research on how to go about this before I buy a bunch of stuff.  I'm going for the lightest materials possible, although it's going to be warm no matter what.

So far I know I will most likely need flour, a balloon, white printer paper, newspaper, one blue 2 liter soda bottle, a hot glue gun, a black sharpie, a kitchen knife or exacto knife, orange foam ?, orange fabric or orange paper, black fabric, black toy fins, and light brown clips.

I may have to make a test run helmet before the finished product but I will try to be super careful. 

I am also working on deciding the amount I'll need of each material, but I think the only way to do this is if I start off small and work my way up.
Day One: Pearl (Steven Universe)
Day Two: Wadanohara (Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea)
Day Three: Masada (Yume Nikki)
Day Four: Mikuo Hatsune (Vocaloid)

Offline OpalineDykopath

• Oni
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 02:18:00 pm »
Genderbent Gajeel Redfox here! Still need to add tons of detailing to the outfit. I would say the outfit is about 60% done, given there is so much detail work. Played with the piercings last night and did a makeup test!

***Please, critique and advice is very welcome! The outfit is based on a specific genderbent fanart, which was based on one of his GMG outfits.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 02:20:07 pm by OpalineDykopath »

Offline OpalineDykopath

• Oni
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 02:23:33 pm »
Sorry to double post, but I have a progress update again, and since it's not Gohan, I figured a new post was in order.

So I am cosplaying Coco from RWBY. I just found the best boots today so I thought i'd take a shot in what I have so far.
So here's Coco:

And here's my Cosplay:

I obviously do not have some parts yet. I have the stuff to make the waist thingy, and the arm band the rose is attached to, as well as the scarf will be made using the same fabric as the arm band. I couldn't get the boots in the shot, but whatevs. I also have gloves saved on ebay that I will be buying for this. And it's probably obvious, but the brown belt the buckle is attached to, is not the belt I'm actually going to use..But I needed it there to hold the buckle on lol Then I need to get whatever that is that's around her neck lol The huge thing..

This looks great so far, I'm really excited to see it!

Offline riku-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 04:53:46 pm »
I'm finishing the petticoat and bows for my Remilia Scarlet cosplay today and there almost done!
~~Kumoricon 2018~~
~~RIKU-CHAN

Offline KnittyOctopus

• Oni
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 07:19:12 pm »
I'm making my very first lolita dress this year. Does that count?

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 11:50:33 pm »
OpalineDykopath, Thank you very much. This is one of those cosplays that I'm really nervous about making look alright. I've spent way more than I should, so I want it to be amazing..

KnittyOctopus, Well of couse lolita counts!! When we say "cosplay progress" we mean anything you are doing to get ready for what you are wearing to the con, not JUST cosplay. In fact, my friends and I are getting some Kingdom Hearts inspired Lolita and Ouji Coords together that I'm hoping will be done for this con.

Also, update on myself since why not..

Like I said above, my group might have some Kingdom Hearts inspired Lolita and Ouji Coords happening. I didn't think our one member wanted to do it (said not interested before), but has now decided on doing Spirits (The creatures in Dream Drop Distance that you have as partners) for a Lolita Coord. I will be doing Nobodies, also in Lolita, and another member will be doing Heartless, in an Ouji Coord. The one doing the Spirits Lolita, their BF may be doing something in Ouji too. I'm not sure what yet though..We discussed Nightmares (The bad guy version of Spirits) but I thought a "Warriors of the Realm of Light" would be better..Get it, that way both of them are the good guys and me and my other friend are the bad guys? lol Also, since Ouji looks like it does, carrying around a sword wouldn't look that out of place..Might make him the Dream Sword (the one from the very beginning of KH1 you pick from the 3 weapons).

In other cosplay news, I also am thinking I might as well get my AKB0048 stuff finished. I started a Mic Saber already, and I think it's about time I finish that and my cosplay..STILL torn between Takamina and Yukirin though..I hate picking between 2 characters I love so equally..

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 12:10:48 am »
I've spent the last while working on dye mixes. I ended up finding the mix I liked, blew it up, and dyed the parts for the ear and tail. It's kind of a lavender shade in person, which is funny cause it came from all blue dyes. Poly is weeird to dye.
A shame cause the light blue is really pretty and right now I have no use for that dyed fabric.
Kumori'15

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2015, 04:25:46 pm »
Just started working on my costumes (finally).  Right now I'm doing my Ramen wig and posting progress pics on my facebook page, so check it out if you'd like to see me attempt to curl a wig for the first time.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ko-Lynn/339946259447267

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 12:01:01 am »
I haven't made much progress.  In fact, I'm still working on my list of maybes.

- Either Beast Boy or male-version Starfire from Teen Titans.
 - Either Rainbow Dash or Apple Jack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
 - WCW Legend Sting.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2015, 03:40:32 pm »
Crap!!
Ok so this sucks..The fabric I bought for Princess Peach? Well my idiot butt didn't buy enough (Never worked with a hoop skirt so I didn't realize how much I needed to buy to cover that much poof) to make the top too. I happened to get just enough to make the skirt portion, but not the top. So I go back to get the rest, and I think it's a color of that fabric that has been discontinued..Freaking of COURSE it would..Now I have like almost 4 yards of this pink casa satin for NOTHING!!
I'm thinking of just using Stretch Poplin like I'm use to using and making Fire Peach. I tested my wig and it will go into a ponytail good enough (its the Jereth Long from arda so I can make it work with it's thickness to not show wefts) and I can make a fire ball prop. Poplin is cheaper anyway..And stretches so I don't have to add a zipper haha!!

Also, my AKB stuff ain't goin so well..WSo I thought maybe something I KNOW I can do..
So..In that case..MONDAIJI-TACHI TIME!! I can't believe I'm finally doing this one. I REALLY hope the KuroUsagi will be at con again!!
Here's the character, Pest, AKA The BVlack Percher, AKA The Black Plague:
http://www.emptyblue.it/data/wallpaper/MondaijiTachi/mondaiji_tachi_01.jpg
She's the best........I mean Evilist....Yea that..
I should be starting this soon..Like I have $70 and I have no problem using it on getting the stuff for just this cosplay..

In other news, I got the stuff I need to make my Kingdom Hearts Nobody inspired Lolita Coord on monday. That should be easy to finish.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2015, 11:14:33 pm »
I finally got the iDye Poly I needed so I could proceed with the ears and tail for Kanata. I also took the time to make the geta shoes more comfortable. I have 2 clouds left to do, the white himo-haori and giant gold beads/balls, and attaching the sleeves to the top.
I also ended up remaking the tail entirely with a new design and shape from the battle 3D version, not the anime art of Kanata, and I really like the result so much better.
Kumori'15