Author Topic: Won't make Kumoricon this year  (Read 2164 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Won't make Kumoricon this year
« on: June 25, 2014, 03:56:17 pm »
I wanted to let everyone know that I won't be able to make Kumoricon 2014. It was a really tough decision and I was looking forward to bringing my panels back, but Sac Anime is held on the same weekend and I've been wanting to meet Yuri Lowenthal and Sam Riegel for some time. I'm going to miss being here, since I've come for the past nine years, but hopefully I can be back in '15.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Won't make Kumoricon this year
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 04:44:21 pm »
Ah, bummer, but that's awesome that you have the opportunity to meet some idols! Definitely go for that!  ;D

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22:14 am »
Thanks. I wish so much that Kumoricon and Sac Anime were on separate weekends. I really like the guest list that Kumoricon has this year and I've been wanting to meet Karen Strassman. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to see her in the future. She rocked as one of my favorite RPG characters, Rosa in Final Fantasy 4, but I'm still excited about meeting Yuri and Sam.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 10:05:03 am »
As someone who has gone to your panels k-con periods will look forward to yore return. 
But yeah I know the pull of a long streek as I have been an attendee to every k-con.  This year tho with 2 kids n diapers just really isn't plausible.  We are kicking around going for a day (keep the streek alive!) or maybe just people watch in the park (not sure if that counts as really attending) .
Its hard to commit to going for a day when you can't pre reg for day passes, so many other cons can.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 03:22:37 am »
I'm glad that you enjoyed my panels and it was great having you at them.
And it's so cool that you're raising a family. I wish you the best and when your kids get older, you should definitely bring them to this convention. I don't doubt they'd enjoy it as much as you have.

2014 has been a transitional convention year for me. Even though I want to keep attending Kumoricon in the future, I also want to start branching out with cons in other states. As a result, I chose to pass on Sakura Con, which I had been to every year since '03, so I could save up for Anime California and Sac Anime. I'm also working on attending Anime Boston next year, which will be expensive, but although there's no guarantee that I'll be here next year, it won't stop me from putting any effort into coming. I have a feeling that Kumoricon's starting to get better than ever and it would be great to experience it as a four-day event.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 12:28:31 am »
Yeah, some things add up fast. I've been wanting to attend AnimeExpo down in LA again, but it's just at a bad time of the year, and I remember how terrible it was in the heat last time I went (in '07). Plus the expense: flight, hotel, food, do I need a rental car, what are the rules on that...

It's good that you're able to save up to go to some events that you've been looking forward to ! :D
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 02:15:33 am »
Thanks.
I went to Anime Expo once in '06 and although it was an incredible weekend and one of my best con experiences of the time, I've heard that it's really jumped the shark in recent years. I totally know what you mean about it being expensive and a lot of people think it's too crowded, costs too much and/or have had complaints about the convention staff.
If you want to go to a California con in the future, I'd highly recommend Sac Anime. It's held twice each year (in January and on Labor Day weekend), is significantly cheaper, gets tons of guests each time and is extremely well-run.
And like I said before, I wish so much that it wasn't on the same weekend as Kumoricon.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:20:34 pm by PaladinCecil79 »