Author Topic: Legend of Korra Pro-Bending Tournament 2014 [APPROVED]  (Read 3472 times)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Legend of Korra Pro-Bending Tournament 2014 [APPROVED]
« on: June 19, 2014, 04:06:14 pm »
Hello again, pro-bending fans! This is your KumoriLeague Commissioner, FilkAeris, and do I have news for you! Most of it is still under wraps while Programming works out the official details, but I do have one big news item that I can share. So...

Who's up for our second annual Pro-Bending Tournament in 2014...held in the Main Events hall, with gorgeous arena-style lighting, air conditioning, and a full sound system?

More details (and official signups) will follow soon, so keep your eye on the official Kumoricon website and this thread!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:16:51 pm by FilkAeris »

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Re: Legend of Korra Pro-Bending Tournament 2014
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:16:38 pm »
Hey, everybody! I've got some hard info about the Pro-Bending Tournament, plus early forum access to...signups;D   (General access to signups will open soon. Consider it a thank-you for all your help planning our first tournament!)

1.  First off, the tournament this year will be scheduled as follows:

CHECK-IN:
9:00-10:00am, Main Events
PRELIMINARIES: 10:30am-12:30pm, Main Events
[Lunch break!]
FINALS: 2:00-4:00pm, Main Events

As you can see, we're mainly scheduled in a single block this year, with free time for everybody to rest up, get some lunch, and get ready for the championship. Hopefully this will simplify cosplay plans for everyone, and reduce overall setup and breakdown time for our amazing Pro-Bending Arena! (Look out for some nifty improvements over last year - besides the obvious bonuses of moving indoors, such as air conditioning, hotel water service, and an actual floor.)

2.  Secondly, the 2014 rules are HERE and signups are HERE! Please read the rules before you sign up!

Just like last year, we're doing signups individually. Teams will be officially formed at Check-In, but please enter a consistent team name for all three players if you've already got a team! It'll keep your team together in our records and give you a better chance of being drawn together to fill a team slot if you end up on the waitlist.

The rules haven't changed much from last year, except that we'll be breaking ties with a proper one-on-one bending match rather than plain old rock-paper-scissors (which was pretty boring last year). We'll also be enforcing the Excessive Roughness fouls as carefully as possible, in response to feedback from last year. We've got lovely squishy new Gatorskin "elements" to bend this year, but that's no reason not to play nice!

3.  Finally, if you're a "non-bender" who'd like to get involved, please consider signing up as a referee or a ring attendant. Referees are full Pro-Bending Staff and get a nifty headband; they keep the tournament running, assisting with check-in and making sure everybody plays fair out in the ring. Attendants also get nifty headbands and a guaranteed front-row seat to all the action as they return elements to the ring and assist the teams on their way in and out of the ring.

Slots for both referees and attendants are limited, so don't delay! Send an email with your contact information and the position you'd prefer to koropokkur[at]gmail[dot]com and help us make this tournament the best it can be!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:19:35 pm by FilkAeris »

Offline Sorimatsu

• Cabbit
Re: Legend of Korra Pro-Bending Tournament 2014 [APPROVED]
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:43:15 am »
Looking forward to this.
Kumori-league Ref 2013-present.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:44:56 pm »
As of this weekend, all pre-registered slots in the Pro-Bending Tournament are full! Thank you to everyone who signed up in advance - there are some amazing and hilarious team names and I can't wait to see you kicking butt in the ring together.

If you haven't signed up yet and want a chance to play, don't despair! All signups from now until Friday night on con weekend will be entered into a random drawing for the last six team slots (aka 18 player slots). This way, all convention attendees - even people who didn't hear about the tournament until they opened their convention swag bags and read through the schedule - will have a fair chance at participation.

Even if you aren't one of the lucky teams/players drawn on Friday night, you can always show up at the Check-In on Saturday morning to have a chance at claiming a vacated slot. Players who haven't checked in by 9:15 am will forfeit their slots, which will be given to the next randomly-drawn player in the sign-up list.

If you have any questions, or if you'd like to referee (there's still one slot open! it's a staff position! you'll get a T-shirt!), please feel free to email me at korpokkuru [at] gmail [dot] com.

Offline kuroki-neko

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 02:39:10 pm »
I applied to staff this, so hopefully i get approved.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 05:34:11 pm »
I hope so, too! We definitely need a fifth referee. Did you talk to me at the last meeting? (Sorry, I don't recognize your username...)

Offline kuroki-neko

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 06:44:08 pm »
Nah I live way  up in Washington state, i could never make the meetings. But i emailed the  staff behind it but still have not go no response.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 10:33:44 pm »
Lovely! I've just sent an email to the address listed in your forum profile.  ;)

Offline Lone

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 11:35:20 am »
Anyone looking for a team or wanting to join one?

Offline Redneck-Chan

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 11:32:59 am »
Since this is all over, I simply need to satisfy my curiosity.   Pro-bending, is this basically a LARPing system built on the Element bending from Avatar, or is there some more finessed details to it? 

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 06:42:14 pm »
Pro-Bending is a sport canonically played in the Avatar universe during the Legend of Korra series. (It was developed decades after the Gaang's heyday, apparently.) The rules are a sort of mishmash of boxing, American football, and dodgeball - basically, players use bending to hit their opponents and knock them away from the center of the ring and toward either end, thereby "gaining territory".

The official rules have been written up in complete detail by the creators (Mike and Bryan), and explained in videos on the Nickelodeon website. It's a heart-pounding sport to watch!

The KumoriLeague tournament uses the official canon rules, with as few changes made as possible. The main change is that, obviously, we can't sling fire and rocks at each other with magic martial arts. Instead, we use color-coded dodgeballs, with a team of "ring attendants" whose job is mostly rolling the dodgeballs back into the currently-occupied zones. The challenge of seizing and throwing the correct color of dodgeball is meant to mirror the challenge of performing magic martial arts moves. :)

Does that all make sense? You can read our rules in full on the Kumoricon main website.

Offline Redneck-Chan

• Oni
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 11:54:05 am »
Aye it does and it sounds like it can basically be summed up as LARP + Dodgeball + Gymnastics :p 

Offline riku-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 04:58:34 pm »
the pro-bending tournament was awesome I can't beleave me and my team got third and it was my first time playing anything like doge ball!
~~Kumoricon 2018~~
~~RIKU-CHAN