Author Topic: Cosplay help!  (Read 2142 times)

Offline BrokenPsyche

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
Cosplay help!
« on: June 05, 2014, 06:50:40 pm »
So one thing I know most everyone runs into before con is help with part of their costume.
Being someone who is having the same problem, I want to be able to allow everyone to help each other in their jams.
So if you're having trouble feel free to post.

Also, I'm in need of help.
I'm cosplaying Dirk Strider from Homestuck and I'm going to use my real hair but I'm having difficulty styling it.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Cosplay help!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 07:35:35 pm »
Well I don't need help, but I can help you..Hopefully..

Is your hair already the right color? I see the character in your signature there so I assume you wanna do that to your hair..This is a very common style right now so..

What I would do is first, make sure your hair is short enough. Just go to a hair salon and have them cut it to that style..Most professional shops (not mom and pop barbers) will know this style very well as it's popular..Do this at the very most a WEEK before con..Not like, right now..It will start to get too long by con..Then bleach it..I'd also do this the same day you cut it. Also that short time won't let it grow out enough to show roots, so that's another reason you wanna do it so close to con. If you already have blonde hair, then skip that last part lol..

Next is styling. Go buy 2 products. If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply near you, that's best. If not, look them up..The first is Beeswax. It's a palmade that is very VERY strong. It will make your hair look like that with almost no effort, while still not being rock hard or flaky..I use to use it ALL the time..
To help visualize..I did this with only 2 fingertips worth of the stuff and rubbed it in my hands:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/RazorXCore_2006/mohawk.jpg
The second product is called Un-Do Goo.
http://www.malibuc.com/products/cn/2410/Malibu-C-Un-Do-Goo-Clarifying-Shampoo
It's the only shampoo I've found that takes out beewax in one shower..lol
Be sure not to overdo the wax amount. Too much will make it hard to get out.
And in case you haven't heard about it, yes beeswax is MEANT for hair. It was originally for black people because they could make their hair stay better or something, but it works great for these things..Also, the good thing is the heat at this con still isnt enough to make it fall flat like gel ends up doing. Back in middle school I use to use it a LOT and I put my old ACTUAL mohawk up (not that pic, that was way later for fun) and not one single day did it ever fall flat.

Offline BrokenPsyche

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 07:42:33 pm »
Well I don't need help, but I can help you..Hopefully..

Is your hair already the right color? I see the character in your signature there so I assume you wanna do that to your hair..This is a very common style right now so..

What I would do is first, make sure your hair is short enough. Just go to a hair salon and have them cut it to that style..Most professional shops (not mom and pop barbers) will know this style very well as it's popular..Do this at the very most a WEEK before con..Not like, right now..It will start to get too long by con..Then bleach it..I'd also do this the same day you cut it. Also that short time won't let it grow out enough to show roots, so that's another reason you wanna do it so close to con. If you already have blonde hair, then skip that last part lol..

Next is styling. Go buy 2 products. If you have a Sally's Beauty Supply near you, that's best. If not, look them up..The first is Beeswax. It's a palmade that is very VERY strong. It will make your hair look like that with almost no effort, while still not being rock hard or flaky..I use to use it ALL the time..
To help visualize..I did this with only 2 fingertips worth of the stuff and rubbed it in my hands:
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/RazorXCore_2006/mohawk.jpg
The second product is called Un-Do Goo.
http://www.malibuc.com/products/cn/2410/Malibu-C-Un-Do-Goo-Clarifying-Shampoo
It's the only shampoo I've found that takes out beewax in one shower..lol
Be sure not to overdo the wax amount. Too much will make it hard to get out.
And in case you haven't heard about it, yes beeswax is MEANT for hair. It was originally for black people because they could make their hair stay better or something, but it works great for these things..Also, the good thing is the heat at this con still isnt enough to make it fall flat like gel ends up doing. Back in middle school I use to use it a LOT and I put my old ACTUAL mohawk up (not that pic, that was way later for fun) and not one single day did it ever fall flat.

Thank you so much!!!! My hair already is blonde and pretty short but I'll be sure to cut it again. It makes me happy that I can cosplay these two without a wig (I hate wigs so much).
But my problem aside from that is HOW to style it. Because I've tried before and I am terrible at it. I have no friends who can do it so I'm stressing about it a bit. I mean, if you were willing to do it at con, hell I would be all over that.
I just want to make sure my hair looks good enough. I tend to be somewhat of a perfectionist with cosplay. Leading to why I work myself so hard to get into shape.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:55:08 pm »
Well styling is more you gotta figure it out. Look up things like faux hawk or side spike or something. It's a mix if those styles. Basically just run it through your hair and once it's in pull your hair in the spiking direction you want it. Not hard

Offline BrokenPsyche

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 07:57:27 pm »
Alright then.
Thank you so much.