Author Topic: (APPROVED) Geeky Baking Panel. Interested?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Tacosu

• Sailor Scout
(APPROVED) Geeky Baking Panel. Interested?
« on: May 19, 2013, 04:15:03 pm »
Well, if there is a lot of interest, we'll definitely need a better title.

ANYWAY, I am here to gauge interest for a potential up-and-coming panel for this next year! I am a baker (or, well, amateur baker, not professional), and I have recently invested in fondant and started to do a few geeky baking projects. I made a Hylian Shield cake for my sister's birthday, ( https://www.kumoricon.org/apps/image_proxy/image_proxy.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.plurk.com%2FDpKF-7AEeqZcQr4HO8Xwtk5kbI6.jpg If anyone wants to see it) and have plans of doing a few other things before the con.

There would be no actual baking involved in the panel, sadly (we obviously don't have the time nor all of the materials for that), but there would be pretty pretty pictures, step-by-step tutorials, and references to see what other geeky bakers have done and put on the internets.

I would like to see who would be interested in something like this! I know that baking is a pretty common hobby among a lot of people, and I'm hoping there are enough of us bakers out there who would want to know how to put a bit of a nerdy final touch on our delicious treats. :)

SO THEN. Any takers?

Yes? No? Pie?

AS AN ADDITIONAL NOTE, "The cake will no longer be a lie," would absolutely be somewhere in the panel description. :P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 03:39:18 pm by Tacosu »

HELLO, PLEASE CALL ME TACO. C:

COSPLAYS FOR 2013:
Tales of Xillia - Leia Rolando

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
Re: Geeky Baking Panel. Interested?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:25:03 pm »
I'd be interested in this. I'm always interested in cakes, cupcakes, and the like. Not really into fondant, since you can't realistically eat it.

It might be interesting if you include ideas about glutten free and varying ingredients :)
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Tacosu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:31:08 pm »
That is a good idea! When I was doing my internship for pastry school a few years back I worked at a place that vegan/gluten free/sugar free products, so I have a little bit of experience with that as well. And that's a good point to bring up, making geeky things without using fondant. While you CAN eat fondant (It is entirely edible, it's just most variants of it aren't very tasty) and fondant in general looks cleaner, I know there are a lot of people out there who don't like to use it. It'd be something interesting to experiment with ~

Also, this can be expanded to a variety of baked goods. So, cupcakes, cake, cookies, etc.

HELLO, PLEASE CALL ME TACO. C:

COSPLAYS FOR 2013:
Tales of Xillia - Leia Rolando

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:31:22 pm »
sounds fun, I like to dabble.

For the fondant not being edible, I have had some luck making it from scratch using powdered sugar and marshmellows, tho I really didn't give it the rest time it needed, I made it look like cheese, I even got a friend to try one of the crackers I frosted

another option is marzipan, made of ground almonds, and tastes better then fondant, example below of a Battenburge cake I made for a friends birthday

another alternative to the fondant
candy! this is a flower I made out of airheads candy

its too bad neko pans not around anymore

I also like to experiment with food, for my brothers birthday we did burgers and I made molecular ketchup aka ketchup caviar.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids