Author Topic: Facebook updating policy  (Read 2450 times)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
Facebook updating policy
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:28:30 pm »
(Just to clarify, this post is about Facebook policy in general and has nothing to do with the Kumoricon Facebook page.)

I've never been a fan of Facebook myself, but this seems more than a bit messed-up... if this BoingBoing article is to be believed, Facebook is now charging people to be able to send updates the people who have "Liked" them?  :-\

I could see if they were charging to send updates to strangers - that would be no different than traditional advertising. But to me, at least, this sounds more like the equivalent of setting up a free messaging service and then charging for it once everyone's joined up. Perfectly legal, but not necessarily ethical.

I'm anything but an expert on Facebook, though. To the people who do use it, what do you think of this?
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline angryginger00

• Cabbit
Re: Facebook updating policy
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:32:05 pm »
So I have a hard time believing articles like this.  There are a few reasons:
1.)If this was really true we would be seeing a lot more stories about it.  At this point I have only seen the one.  A lot of news angencys have a facebook fan page now and the company is publicy traded which means if they were to really pull something like this then it would be getting scrutinized all over the place.  As that would have a major effect on companies bottom dollar. 

2.)A lot of what this article is pointing out is that facebook was having a massive amount of technical issues.  They sighted the IPO was part of the problem.  Well this wasn't the case.  Facebook was having issues because they couldn't keep up with setting up new server and data centers for the number of facebook users on the net.  Around the same time the local Facebook data center was having a huge amount of problems.  I know this because Facebook took down my former work place's internet for 12 hours.  Well Facebook wasn't really the problem it was the ISP that wasn't doing the job correctly. 

If I had to make a conclusion as to what is really going on.  I would venture a guess that a few companies out on Facebook have fallen victum to a Facebook specific "SEO" scam.  That is where I would guess these charges are coming from.  I also recall that Myspace (do you remeber that site?) had similar stories going around about it before facebook took over.  I am also guessing that this is the first of many different scare tatics that will be used to push folks off of Facebook and on to something like Google+ or something along those lines.
Staffing Con's since 2008

A rare thing has happened! The angryginger00 has posted a message here.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 09:09:43 pm »
Facebook sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate. When updating your status one mantra should remain a constant...CONTROL YOUR INFORMATION. Not everything has to go out on Facebook. In fact with some people...THERE ARE SOME THINGS MAN WAS JUST NOT MEANT TO KNOW!!!!

Remember that with facebook the more you control your information on what you put on your channel and how you update the more in control you will be.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:54:56 am by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 08:13:22 am »
Not everything has to gop out on Facebook. In fact with some people...THERE ARE SOME THINGS MAN WAS JUST NOT MEANT TOP KNOW!!!!

:D
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:26:17 am »
They are charging you to "promote" you post. It's mainly for the fan pages where only 10% of the people who have liked your page are seeing the post unless they have subscribed to you. It's stupid really, but I have also seen the promote button on my personal facebook as well. It's something that just started recently so I imagine there will be more stories soon.