Author Topic: Guns >.<  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Citael

• Sailor Scout
Guns >.<
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:18:29 pm »
NOT REAL ONES K.

So basically...I'm going to be cosplaying Haine Rammsteiner for Kumoricon 2013. If you have ever read Dogs, you know that Haine has...Well, guns. To be specific, a white mauser c96 and a luger p08 pistol (which is attached to his belt by a chain). I was thinking about maybe making these myself out of wood. However, my parents are severely against it. They think I'm going to be shot 8I By having wooden guns.

I'm fourteen, anything I make out of wood will definitely not look realistic xD However, they still won't let me. Do you guys agree? I'm just wondering, really.

Sooo....Does anybody know any good stores to get like...Plastic guns? Suggestions? Please? \ ;A; /

(I KNOW THIS IS SUPER EARLY TO BE PLANNING BUT OH WELL I HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY CLUMSY HANDS 8'D)

hopefully this is in the right section. I'm almost positive it is but you never know guise you never know

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
Re: Guns >.<
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 05:53:29 pm »
I don't see the problem with making wooden guns at all, they're much safer as a prop, and you're less likely to get heckled by con security as opposed to if you painted plastic guns.

Either way they will need an orange tip on them (I believe), and since they're a non-fire able weapon you shouldn't have any problems. :) To make sure, you should read the Policies on the website.

If you're looking for plastic guns instead, here's a good online store: http://www.moretoyguns.com

If you get a plastic gun, it CAN NOT be airsoft, and can not have been a previously-fire able weapon. You will also need an orange tip on it, and if the trigger is move-able I recommend gluing it in place.

Hope that helps! A Staff member will be able to give you more accurate information. I'm not 100% sure on this.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 05:55:37 pm by Shadow »

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Sorimatsu

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 12:30:12 am »
It CAN be an airsoft gun as long as it is unable to fire permanently, to achieve this either rip out the internals and epoxy, or just epoxy all moving parts, I saw quite a few completely disable airsoft guns around con including my own. Also remember to keep or add the orange to the tip.

Asked the question before con and received this reply...

"Mr. Steinhauer,

Thank you for attending kumoricon and thank you for asking before con.
My policy on projectile weapons is the following:
Either, it cant fire worth noting (a bow made out of foam and string for example)
or it has been permanently disabled.  This means that the weapon cannot be loaded and ready to fire.
My personal favorite solution to this is either gut and fill with epoxy or just fill the moving parts with epoxy.

Thank you,

-Tank
Yojimbo 1"

And to answer the OP's question about where to find a c96 replica, if you don't mind ebay that would be a good place to start looking.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 12:48:25 am by Sorimatsu »
Kumori-league Ref 2013-present.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 06:31:47 pm »
That's great information about airsoft! I wasn't completely sure if they were outright banned regardless of gutting them (I could have sworn that was the policy one year..) or if permanently disabling it made them allowed. Thanks so much for helping clear that up!

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline Citael

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:23:21 am »
Wow! Thank you so much, both of you! I'll totally be using that site you provided, Shadow, considering they have replicas of the exact guns that I need x3

And it's good to know that airsoft can be used 8D (My friend was thinking about using airsoft, but wasn't sure if it was allowed...So yay!)

You guys are great <3 All of this is good to know

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:41:07 am »
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:42:27 am by Drauska »

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »
You might be thinking of Sakuracon's policy, which does state that the gun could never have been functional. Even if you disabled it, if at any time it could have fired, it's not allowed. It's incredibly draconian, and I really hope Kumoricon never goes down that route, but that's just my two cents.

Speaking of rules, are functional Nerf guns allowed if no darts are fired, or even brought? I've only heard policy on airsoft.

Also, I don't know what kind of guns you're looking for, OP, but gift shops in tourist towns or small theme parks like Enchanted Forest often have more realistic toy rifles and water pistols than you might be able to find in toy stores here. They'll almost definitely be less accurate than airsoft, but they'll also almost definitely be cheaper, so think about it if you're going on vacation.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:30:21 pm by Acheron »
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline Tank

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 04:57:26 pm »
It CAN be an airsoft gun as long as it is unable to fire permanently, to achieve this either rip out the internals and epoxy, or just epoxy all moving parts, I saw quite a few completely disable airsoft guns around con including my own. Also remember to keep or add the orange to the tip.

Asked the question before con and received this reply...

"Mr. Steinhauer,

Thank you for attending kumoricon and thank you for asking before con.
My policy on projectile weapons is the following:
Either, it cant fire worth noting (a bow made out of foam and string for example)
or it has been permanently disabled.  This means that the weapon cannot be loaded and ready to fire.
My personal favorite solution to this is either gut and fill with epoxy or just fill the moving parts with epoxy.

Thank you,

-Tank
Yojimbo 1"

And to answer the OP's question about where to find a c96 replica, if you don't mind ebay that would be a good place to start looking.

I did indeed say that.  

EPOXY!!! GUT IT, if it pops, or if it moves, my guys are going to either:
A. Reject it (they'd better)
B. Call me and I'll reject the weapon.  

I'd rather not have to do that again in 2013

You might be thinking of Sakuracon's policy, which does state that the gun could never have been functional. Even if you disabled it, if at any time it could have fired, it's not allowed. It's incredibly draconian, and I really hope Kumoricon never goes down that route, but that's just my two cents.

Speaking of rules, are functional Nerf guns allowed if no darts are fired, or even brought? I've only heard policy on airsoft.

Also, I don't know what kind of guns you're looking for, OP, but gift shops in tourist towns or small theme parks like Enchanted Forest often have more realistic toy rifles and water pistols than you might be able to find in toy stores here. They'll almost definitely be less accurate than airsoft, but they'll also almost definitely be cheaper, so think about it if you're going on vacation.

As for this, same as per airsoft is the policy (sorry about your nerf gun if you liked to fire it though :c)

Edit 1: added nerf comment
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 04:58:45 pm by Tank »
I have yaoi fangirls?!

2009: line yoji
2010: line yoji
2011: Yoji 1
2012: Yoji 1

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:52:27 pm »
While we are on the gun topic here, I was wondering if I replicated this gun without moving parts and no ability to fire anything, would I have to have orange tips?

http://cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/504/17902/meryl-and-millie-big-gun.jpg

http://static.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/702802-bigthumbnail.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4ryoAlB46bTAc-p-ib1AC95leSKUsgMHDVrooLdiPXOwHeTcd2OOX1nZkNQ

Offline Sorimatsu

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 01:43:18 am »
yes you would. (I had too scrape black paint off to show orange tip again)

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 01:59:23 am »
Good to know since it's a cosplay I am considering.

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 09:24:58 am »
While we are on the gun topic here, I was wondering if I replicated this gun without moving parts and no ability to fire anything, would I have to have orange tips?

http://cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/504/17902/meryl-and-millie-big-gun.jpg

http://static.desktopnexus.com/thumbnails/702802-bigthumbnail.jpg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS4ryoAlB46bTAc-p-ib1AC95leSKUsgMHDVrooLdiPXOwHeTcd2OOX1nZkNQ
yes you would. (I had too scrape black paint off to show orange tip again)
According to our convention policies (https://www.kumoricon.org/policies), there is no requirement for an orange tip on a fake/non-working/replica/whatever model firearm.

It should be noted that according to the same policy "Replica pistols need to remain in a holster; replica rifles need to be slung." So you would not be allowed to carry a replica non-functioning model of the firearm you describe in your post as that could be considered "brandishing."

Regarding orange tips, per Federal, Oregon, and Washington state law, it is only illegal for a business to "sell" a non-firearm projectile device without the orange tip. There is no legal requirement here in Oregon or in Washington for an owner to keep that orange tip on the projectile device.

With that said, if your replica qualifies under Kumoricon policies (completely disabled, unable to be modified to function) it is no longer a projectile device and wouldn't require the orange tip for a business to sell legally.
--Chris ^_^

Offline Sorimatsu

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 09:52:30 am »
hmm, ok thats good to know, would have saved me 10 minutes of scraping paint with scissors.

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 10:42:41 am »
That is why I'm building all my guns this year.  would be hard to get the Deunan Knute assult rifle online to full scale. :)  This thing is gonna get a scope and a working laser sight that can be turned on and off from the trigger.  the trigger is gonna be stationary tho.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 10:44:41 am »
Speaking of guns, my pal a couple years ago had two toy handguns for one of her costume, and they made noise and she had modified their outside appearance but left the orange tips and had gotten them peacebonded and everything.

Are the noise-making toy guns still allowed, since they never move- save for the trigger to turn them on?
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 11:55:52 am »
I had a noise making shotgun this last year and it was no problem.  But they bond the hell out of the trigger so it wouldn't move.  I wish they would not bind our props so tight.  I've had two props that were permanently marked by the bands they use.  Next year I'm going to insist that they don't bind them so dang tight since I'm making mine.

Offline Tank

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 02:31:56 pm »
I had a noise making shotgun this last year and it was no problem.  But they bond the hell out of the trigger so it wouldn't move.  I wish they would not bind our props so tight.  I've had two props that were permanently marked by the bands they use.  Next year I'm going to insist that they don't bind them so dang tight since I'm making mine.

We do that for a reason (so you couldn't fire it if it was still capable of injuring someone).

As for orange tips.  I LOVE ORANGE TIPS. They make our lives as yoji a lot easier.  Personally i don't like seeing realistic firearms from a distance being held out or up for photoshoots that don't have it. Even I had an orange tip. While its not required, we prefer it. (Unless the weapon is obviously fake, yoji call on that)

I'm sorry about the damage to your props.  I'll make sure we talk about that in the training for 2013.
I have yaoi fangirls?!

Offline Tank

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 02:33:39 pm »
Speaking of guns, my pal a couple years ago had two toy handguns for one of her costume, and they made noise and she had modified their outside appearance but left the orange tips and had gotten them peacebonded and everything.

Are the noise-making toy guns still allowed, since they never move- save for the trigger to turn them on?

This one, i'm going to have to see the weapon myself or get a demo of it.  I'm always iffy on stuff that can be made to appear safe even though it is not.  If anyone has a direct question, feel free to pm me.
I have yaoi fangirls?!

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 04:37:13 pm »
Seeing as we're talking about gun policies here... what about Star Wars-y guns? Blasters, rifles and so on, like a DH-17, DL-44 or an E-11? If they had sound effects and lights, would they be denied at KumoriCon? Would they also need an orange tip and be non-operational-- i.e. no lights and sounds?

Not that I'm planning to bring a Star Wars costume at the moment, but I was curious.

And what about lightsabers?

Edit: I guess my first question was more-or-less answered in the post above. Sounds like it would be best to leave any Star Wars-y blasters at home. Many of us movie-quality Star Wars costumers buy the Hasbro toy blasters and then paint them up to look accurate, so we're not usually willing to leave an orange tip, 'cause then it's no longer accurate. We also usually leave the lights and sounds working if possible, 'cause it's more fun for the kids (and for us :P) that way. So leaving them at home for K-con sounds like the best way to go.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:42:05 pm by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Tank

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 05:04:36 pm »
Actually, star-wars-y (how the heck do i do that?) fall more under the category of "obviously fake"  dont worry about stuff like that.

I WANT YOU TO HAVE FUN! WE WANT YOU TO COSPLAY!

We're just trying to do our best to protect the con-goers as well.

PM me instead of assuming it wont work.

The non-functional status applies more to air-soft style weaponry, less on the lights and noises.
I have yaoi fangirls?!