Author Topic: Looking to start a mangaka group  (Read 10725 times)

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
Looking to start a mangaka group
« on: September 03, 2012, 05:57:27 pm »
Hi all! My name is Nick and I am looking to start a group of people that are passionate about drawing manga. I have been drawing not that very often over the course of 3 years or so I believe, so I'm not that good. But it is one of my dreams to draw and make my own manga, and even start a small publishing company to share people's work with the world. So I wanted to start this group in order to find people are draw manga, and learn from each other.

Again, It doesn't matter the skill level, I don't care if you just started a week ago, as I said, I'm not that good myself, so I don't expect otheres to be the best in the world at drawing (lol). I just want to meet up with new people that want to draw, make this a cool, fun group where we can share ideas, theories, sketches or anything at all. This group I want to start is not just a one time thing, I'm hoping to start an actual group of people, that are fans, that love anime and manga, that love to draw and want to share their passion. Maybe it can be a monthly thing, then move into a weekly event, who knows. We'll have to see where all of this goes.

I live in the Portland area, throwing that out there for meet-up plan making of any sorts. I hope whoever reads this that enjoys drawing will consider this option, I believe if we can get a awesome group and work together, I know we can get many great things done.

Offline Airafleeza

• Cabbit
    • My tumblr
Re: Looking to start a mangaka group
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 11:28:48 pm »
I'd be interested in this! I've been drawing since forever and I've always loved comics and wanted to draw them. I'm really shy about sharing my work, though, but I still think this may be a good opportunity for someone like me! I have my own webcomic & I've learned having people to work around is usually pretty helpful.

Ahaaa, sorry for the long comment. But basically: sounds good to me!

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 12:04:55 am »
Great! Don't worry, I'm the same way, but I'm tired of being like that and want to get to know as many artisy as I can. WOW you have your own webcomics, that fantastic! What's it called, where it is, I wanna see!!!! :)

Offline Airafleeza

• Cabbit
    • My tumblr
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 12:51:27 am »
It's definitely a first step! :D Haha, and yes! Only one so far-- but I'm always hoping that someday I can illustrate some of the many other stories I have going on in my head. :P
Oh, and mine is called The Adventures of Flee the Butterfly. You can find it here: http://www.smackjeeves.com/comicprofile.php?id=97673
;3;

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 01:00:10 am »
I will say this, I SUCK AT DRAWING! I have to trace bases when I do get strong enough to draw without hating it. But I love character/costume/stuff design and writing! I can also grab coffe and what not, or bake yummy baked goods!
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 03:00:44 am »
@ Aria, omg your comic is so awesome! I love all the comedy, it's really good.

@wrath: it doesn't matter what the skill, this is about getting artist together, helping each other out and help one another grow as an artist. you are more than welcome to join =)

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 01:27:34 pm »
I am in fact a comics/manga creator in the works. I have a dream for various comics series, one of which I've been fine-tuning for several years now. My personal drawing skill, however, is less than what I'd like it to be. I'm down for meeting and swapping tricks and ideas with other warriors of the pen, as well as general meetup randomness, just need to know a time and place.
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014
Day 1 Fix-it Felix Jr. (w/ gold sledge)
Day 2 Hitmonchan and Kenny
Day 3 SS Future Trunks (DBZ)
Day 4 Jason Silverheart Pirate OC
Sonic The Hedgehog Kigurumi

Offline maydrock

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 01:56:59 pm »
so yah im working on a comic called antique but i cant draw pepole for pocky so can i join and learn from u guys

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 03:14:30 am »
So I guess, I'll give this a little time to see how many people are interested, as I said before, I live in the Portland area, so for right now I guess we can discuss what would be the best meetup place for all of us right now. And we can see where this goes from here.

Offline Airafleeza

• Cabbit
    • My tumblr
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:21:31 pm »
@nikku5: Aww, thank you. :) I still have a lot to learn though.

Also I live in Vancouver... about 10 minutes away from where the con was. So I guess I could say I'm pretty close to the Portland area as well!

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 10:59:54 am »
i've been drawing manga for fun-- which hopefully soon i can solidify my storyline and just go straight on drawing and publishing.

i have been practicing manga for a couple of years now-- except inking and toning XD
My basic page composition is write solid tho,
but my drawings are solid as i started anime style since 4th grade (and the dream to becoming an animator started in that year as well)

i am now an animation student with know hows on animation (still fairly new to animation tho) and manga-- i could help you guys with your problems and questions and such.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 11:40:35 am by zenneth »
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 12:01:00 pm »
This sounds rather interesting.
Unfortunately, I couldn't draw my way out of a wet paper bag, despite my best attempts at doing so. I would love to be able to draw, but it's a skill that I've never been able to acquire. Sadness. :(
Even so, I've got about a bazillion story ideas that I'd love to work into a manga one day. But my lack of artistic skill has really put the lid on that for quite some time...

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 01:10:17 pm »
When are we going to get started?
This sounds like lots of fun
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 02:35:20 pm »
Unfortunately, I couldn't draw my way out of a wet paper bag, despite my best attempts at doing so. I would love to be able to draw, but it's a skill that I've never been able to acquire. Sadness. :(
Even so, I've got about a bazillion story ideas that I'd love to work into a manga one day. But my lack of artistic skill has really put the lid on that for quite some time...

thus why some writers are willing to hire artists XD
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 04:49:27 pm »

thus why some writers are willing to hire artists XD
Eeyup

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 12:24:12 am »
The prospect of hiring an artist is tempting, but requires you to pay them in advance most likely, and if you are the original creator you have to try to convey your ideas and designs into their head. Although doing the drawing yourself allows you to know already what you want to have and saves you money, your skills and confidence in them might not be as up to par. A tough choice indeed.

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 01:37:18 am »
Well, this was going to get started when we got enough hits, so it seems like I believe enough people are interested in this, so we can make this happen whenever we can. So, i guess the next step would be time/date/location for the first meet-up. Sadly I'm starting classes this Monday, but they get out at 3 pm at the latest, so anything after that I've fine with doing. Even more so, if anyone is going to Mt. Hood in Gresham, we can even get meet up-s going there, I was thinking of a general meet up place would be pioneer courthouse square and then we can figure out  a place we can go draw/write/discuss manga stuff.

@ Blue Leader: You dont even have to have any drawing skill to get into drawing, the point of this is to get people that want to draw/write about manga and to get people together, helping eachother, as I said before, I'm far from anything good at drawing, but I always wanted to get something like this going. Trust me, if I had good enough skill, I would be willing to draw your story ideas for free, I love it when people have stories and ideas, images, characters they have stuck in their head and want to get it out. The point of this is to come join the group, and just get started on drawing/writing. I'm more talented with writing and story ideas, but I love drawing so much. So yeah, plz come, we would love to have you  :)

As I said before, ideas for where/when to meet up would be great coming from all of you at this point I've already said what I'm cool with. So yeah, LETS DO THIS!

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 06:57:57 am »
Well, this was going to get started when we got enough hits, so it seems like I believe enough people are interested in this, so we can make this happen whenever we can. So, i guess the next step would be time/date/location for the first meet-up. Sadly I'm starting classes this Monday, but they get out at 3 pm at the latest, so anything after that I've fine with doing. Even more so, if anyone is going to Mt. Hood in Gresham, we can even get meet up-s going there, I was thinking of a general meet up place would be pioneer courthouse square and then we can figure out  a place we can go draw/write/discuss manga stuff.

@ Blue Leader: You dont even have to have any drawing skill to get into drawing, the point of this is to get people that want to draw/write about manga and to get people together, helping eachother, as I said before, I'm far from anything good at drawing, but I always wanted to get something like this going. Trust me, if I had good enough skill, I would be willing to draw your story ideas for free, I love it when people have stories and ideas, images, characters they have stuck in their head and want to get it out. The point of this is to come join the group, and just get started on drawing/writing. I'm more talented with writing and story ideas, but I love drawing so much. So yeah, plz come, we would love to have you  :)

As I said before, ideas for where/when to meet up would be great coming from all of you at this point I've already said what I'm cool with. So yeah, LETS DO THIS!

I am getting interested in this, since it's been many years since I've actually drawed something that's not homework from a drawing class. I have the ideas(sort of), but almost none of the skills.

So where exactly are we gonna meet up tommorow? Personally, I would pick a place that's not too far for future how-to-draw manga meetups since I live in Beaverton.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:06:21 am by Manganix78 »

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 08:03:06 am »
I have school every weekday until 3pm
Monday I got Night school
and Tuesday I shall be working on a project with friends
Any where that can easily be reached by bus or max will work for me. I would recommend a small coffee shop, I know a few good ones in portland.

Offline Airafleeza

• Cabbit
    • My tumblr
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 02:11:27 am »
I just started school, and usually weekends or Fridays work best for me because of the fact I have class everyday! But my schedule is pretty flexible anyway.

Portland/ Pioneer Square sounds good to me, though!

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 05:04:18 pm »
Let's see, any coffee shops would be cool if any of you know of some, we just have to really set a date for the first meet-up. How about I through a date out there and see people's responses. Let's start with Oct. 20th, that's a Saturday and a little over 2 weeks from now.

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 10:51:31 pm »
Let's see, any coffee shops would be cool if any of you know of some, we just have to really set a date for the first meet-up. How about I through a date out there and see people's responses. Let's start with Oct. 20th, that's a Saturday and a little over 2 weeks from now.

Where exactly on the 20th, cuz I really want to become more confident and stronger in my little to boastful skills!

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 02:52:56 pm »
Well so far, no one has hasn't had a problem with Pioneer square, so I guess the meet up place would be there and we will look for a near by to actually be able to sit and work, a nice place to hang out would be a coffee shop. Again, if anyone else has a good idea as to where to go, feel free to say so.

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 08:22:45 pm »
Well so far, no one has hasn't had a problem with Pioneer square, so I guess the meet up place would be there and we will look for a near by to actually be able to sit and work, a nice place to hang out would be a coffee shop. Again, if anyone else has a good idea as to where to go, feel free to say so.

And at what time would be suitable for everyone?

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 11:44:30 am »
20th...I believe I am busy
It sucks being in school when my calender is at home

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 05:27:28 pm »
Okay, hmmm, what days is everyone open for? that would help out alot for planning the actually meet-up. Also, come join the unofficial facebook page of the group, makes it alot easier to keep in touch with all of you that are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/450636611641673/

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 08:38:38 pm »
I can't join T_T
I'm Alexandra Panttaja-Taylor

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 10:25:39 pm »
Okay, hmmm, what days is everyone open for? that would help out alot for planning the actually meet-up. Also, come join the unofficial facebook page of the group, makes it alot easier to keep in touch with all of you that are interested.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/450636611641673/

Personally for me, I'm still open for the 20th(it's a saturday) and it's right after my artist's meet and greet sdri meeting on the 19th, so I believe I can withstand talking to other hopeful people who have big dreams of making it as manga artists.

But that's just me. Does anyone else have any other ideas?

Offline nikku5

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 11:22:51 pm »
It is official, the first meet up will be on the 20th, all are welcome to join, I will be holding up a sign with the name of the group/club. The name is Heart 2 Heart and it's time to make our mark on the world! おにがいします!

Sorry, forgot to add, Pioneer square is the meet up place, the time will be noon. we will go to the starbucks right there to get out of the rain.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:47:44 pm by nikku5 »

Offline TurboSaiyanJason

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 01:33:34 am »
Expect me to appear in a pirate cosplay, or as America from Hetalia (or a combo of both), as I'll also be there for the Hetalia meet which kicks off a little later at the square also.

Hoping to bring along some samples of recent works and general storyline of some of my comics in mind.

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2012, 09:54:37 am »
Yeah there's Hetalia Day, we are metting there though and I will be there at 11 to meet with Prussia and Nando.

Offline krazylilmeow

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 09:37:51 am »
hmm I actually haven't tried to draw manga, but I love to draw count me in! most nights after 530pm ;)
FURRY CURRY!
Favourite Game: FF8
Best Current anime: DURARA!
Cosplay 2012: InuXBoku

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 10:37:08 am »
wow it's been awhile since this has been updated-- this still going?

Offline Manganix78

• Catgirl
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2012, 01:06:42 am »
hmm I actually haven't tried to draw manga, but I love to draw count me in! most nights after 530pm ;)

Right now, most meetings take place on saturday afternoons bi-weekly(meaning this saturday and the 24th) from 12:00 to 4:00 at the Lloyd Center on the third floor outside of the theater. There's also a digital version of a newsletter of what's going on in the group right now.

wow it's been awhile since this has been updated-- this still going?

Yep. It's still going and starting to get off the ground, but we're making progress.

For those who are curious, go to: https://www.facebook.com/about/groups/#!/groups/450636611641673/

What the group is all about is basically described as this: "Heart 2 Heart Manga is about connecting anyone and everyone that loves manga, anime, and stories in general, together to...make a fun and helpful group, and sharing that love and passion to everyone around the world, one story at a time."

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 04:45:33 pm »
I've been drawing anime for 20 years now..
Started when I was 5 (I'm 25 now) with Sailormoon and DBZ.
I have a DA. it should be in my sig here..I can help anyone looking for it..I live in Wa.

Offline mesaverde

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 07:56:50 pm »
I'd love to join! I've been drawing for a while now and I guess I'n decent, but that sounds like an awesome idea!
Kumoricon 2014 tentative lineup:
Day 1: Yumichika Ayasegawa (Bleach)
Day 2: Flamenco Jolteon (Pokemon)
Day 3: Fujisake Yuusuke/Bossun (Sket Dance)
Day 4: Superbi Squalo (Katekyo Hitman Reborn)