Author Topic: Favorite Stories  (Read 4212 times)

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
Favorite Stories
« on: September 13, 2005, 06:46:40 am »
Ok, so, how about we all share what are favorite stories are?

They can come from ANYTHING. Movies, Games, Anime. If it has a plot, share with as to why its your favorite, even if you don't say why its your favorite, add it to the list. If theres a reason why its obviously a favorite, feel free to just list it and continue (An example would be Harry Potter).

As the topic starter, I, of course, will go first.

THE CROW:
In my opinion, one of THE BEST love stories ever.

It goes like this: Eric Draven and his fiancee, Shelly Webster, were all set to get married the day after Devil's Night (October 30th, their wedding would have been on Halloween). Until Eric was murdered, and Shelly was raped and killed. A year after his death, Eric returns from the dead using the power of the Crow, to exact revenge on those who wronged his and Shelly's lives.

Now, I personally believe this is the truest form of love, myself. The man was murdered, having watched some men rape his fiancee, and was thrown out a four story building. He went through hell and back to kill those guys. And at the end of it all, he gets reunited with Shelly.

Truly one of my highest recommendations for a good movie. However, the sequals were not as great, in my opinion. Also, unfortunatly, The Crow was Brandon Lee's last film, as he died during production.

JOHN DOE:
I was so angry that this TV series got cancelled after one season, and a season ender that ended on a huge cliffhanger.

The Plot:
What if you suddenly woke up one day and didn't know who you were, but knew everything else there is to know?

From the amount of pages in a phone book, to the amount of dimples on a golf ball. John Doe is that man. He woke up on an island outside Seattle and has been trying to find out who he is. He knows everything else, aside from that. There are also strange groups of people after him for reason he doesn't know, and its all surrounding a conspiracy believed to have something to do with Catholic Church and The Spear of Destiny.

This was THE BEST show in Fox's 02 (I believe it was) fall lineup. Firefly was ok, however I hate the blatant resemblance to Outlaw Star that it has. Firefly got cancelled, and yet it got a DVD release. No DVD release for John Doe though, and it had an entire season of 22 episodes.

Luckily for me, I taped all of them, so I can rewatch them anytime I want. However it still burns me not knowing the awnser to the question.

Who is John Doe?

HARRY POTTER
This would should be obvious. :D

THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA
See above. :D

FINAL FANTASY VII:
Out of all the FF games, I believe VII to have the best and most well written story. The graphics, compared to todays stuff, are not much, but thats not why you play. You play to be engrossed into the storyline.

After recently viewing FFVII: Advent Children (Of which I will post NO spoilers for, as that would cause the subconcious murderous intent of many people here to be aimed at me), I have further decided to forever keep this on my list. Now, if I could only get my hands on the rest of the story (Dirge of Cerberus, specifically).

The Plot:
Come on. Everyone knows that. Plus it would be too long to type up a non-spoilerish summary. Its crazy to even try it.

DOT HACK:
OMG do I love the Dot Hack series'. Each of them, on their own, are amazing stories, yet they combine to form one ultimate story, with alot of the characters interacting between the seperate stories.

The Plot:
As with FFVII, that would be too long and too time consuming to type out, I suggest checking out the rest of Dot Hack if you enjoyed .hack//SIGN when it aired on TV awhile ago. Thats just part of the story.

Dot Hack is a mass story too, convering video games, manga, and anime. Along with cd dramas and novels.

HALO:
Even though it may not be fun for those who aren't that great at FPS', the story to Halo is a very good one, and was written very excellently (Even though its not finished, what has been known is very good).

The Plot:
An ancient race created seven massive planet-size rings. Each has the power to set of an explosion so large, it would be galaxy-like in scale. Killing all life within a galaxies length. Those of The Covenant believe the ancient race built them to be fired off, to restart the galaxy, and that it will lead them to the promised land. However, The humans believe different. The believe the true purpose of the Halo's is to be used a weapon. So a massive scale war between the two opposing sides is taking place. Each has their own heros, to The Covenant, it is The Arbiter. To the Humans, it is Spartan One-Seven-Seven, Code named "Master Chief".

Admittingly, I never played the first Halo when it initially came out, because I was still playing CS for PC. However, a friend of mine let me borrow it over a year ago, and I found it to not only be VERY fun and challenging, but I found the story to be very unique.

Heres to the hopes that the movie thats in the works is a good one.

GUILTY GEAR:
To some this may seem like your everyday, average fighting game. However the plot has ALOT of depth. More depth than you can even find in Tekken and Mortal Kombat.

The Plot (As copied and pasted from Wikipedia):
The Guilty Gear series takes place around the year 2180, in a chaotic, mystical future world. In 2010, mankind discovered an unlimited energy source of incredible power, which was fittingly labeled as Magic. However, even with the various energy problems solved, wars still continued. With the power of Magic and science, living weapons known as "Gears" were created. However, the Gears turned on their masters, beginning a century-long global war known as the Crusades where the Sacred Order of Holy Knights, fighting for the human race, was able to defeat Justice, the leader of the Gears, and was then able to hunt down the rest of the now mindless Gears.

However, some five years later a Gear named Testament began a plan to resurrect Justice and wipe out the human race. Fearing this, the Union of Nations began a fighting tournament in order to find fighters who would be able to defeat Testament and Justice. Ultimately, the immortal bounty hunter Sol Badguy brought down Justice again, and an uneasy peace began.

Less then a year later there were reports of a newly discovered commander Gear. Again, fearing the start of another war, the Union of Nations held another tournament, offering a prize of 500,000 World Dollars for the destruction of this new Gear.

The Gear in question turned out to be a girl named Dizzy, who, while very powerful, had no desire to wage war or needlessly hurt others. She was defeated but spared by Sol Badguy; soon after, she was found by Johnny, the leader of the Jellyfish air pirates, who then welcomed her as one of their own. Meanwhile, the bounty hunter and struggling chef Jam Kuradoberi arranged to take credit for Dizzy's disappearance and collected the reward in order to finance her restaurant.

In the time following Dizzy's disappearance, the mysterious Post War Administration Bureau began to secretly investigate the Gears and the various fighters of the previous tournaments for their own needs and ambitions. Various powers began to work in the shadows to fight for the control of the world, with many leads pointing to the creator of the Gears, a mysterious figure known only as "That Man". Again, the fighters from before find themselves in events beyond their control.

Guilty Gear not only contains a truly amazing story, it contains amazing character detail, aswell as an amazing soundtrack to go along with the games. Viva 2D fighting!

For now, Ill stop there, as thats a long post, and it might be boring to some to read.

I want to get to know what all of your favorite stories are. I left some out, so, hopefully this topic takes off and I can post more.

Offline Dark_Lady_Kassendra

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/darkladykassendra.html
Favorite Stories
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 10:19:16 pm »
My favorite story is that of Rurouni Kenshin. (Manga/Anime)(This is my interpretation of the story as I see it and as far as I've entered into it's plot)

Here you have man who's soul was lost in the times of war and bloodshed when Japan was being forged into the great nation it is today. Even as a young boy, in those times he found it a very hard life, losing his parents and then being sold into slavery. But fate happened and Kenshin found a master in the art of swordsmanship and thus began his training and eventual entrance into the war itself. Kenshins kind heart demanded he do his part to help bring about peace in the country and so throwing his lot in he was to become the Hitokiri (assassin) Battosai. The blood he shed weighed down his soul until he could bare it no longer and so took a vow never to kill again, even taking up a Sakabato (reverse blade katana) He began to wander through the Meiji era, but misfortune and meyhem were never far behind him. With a ban on carrying swords, it became difficult to walk armed as he did, but couldn't lay down the sword he'd promised to use to defend the defenseless. He soon met a girl, Kamiya Karou, who was a master of the Kamiyia Kashineryu that promoted 'swords that give life'. In Karou, Kenshin found a person who's innocent and naive soul grounded his own. A reason to live. And thus the story continues, Kenshin now has to face old opponets that seek revenge for their reasons all the while Kenshin is bound to his vow. Will the eventual payment for his sins be his very life?
This series began as a small strip in Shouen Jump and then became so popular that a manga was made and then eventually made a hit anime series. All characters have a historical basis and so gives an almost true look at what the lives of people like these would have been like in those times.

But in truth I just love that red haired man with the cross shaped scar!! So Sexy!!! ^.^
Jerimiah of Bakazoku Fangirl- (yes, we're even engaged!!!! ^.^ we consumated our love with a Beef Crunch Wrap Supream and a hot sauce packet that asked him to marry me ^.^)

Goggle Squad Fangirl- also so dubbed by Waffles

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Favorite Stories
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 11:39:32 pm »
Quote from: "Dark_Lady_Kassendra"
My favorite story is that of Rurouni Kenshin. (Manga/Anime)(This is my interpretation of the story as I see it and as far as I've entered into it's plot)

Here you have man who's soul was lost in the times of war and bloodshed when Japan was being forged into the great nation it is today. Even as a young boy, in those times he found it a very hard life, losing his parents and then being sold into slavery. But fate happened and Kenshin found a master in the art of swordsmanship and thus began his training and eventual entrance into the war itself. Kenshins kind heart demanded he do his part to help bring about peace in the country and so throwing his lot in he was to become the Hitokiri (assassin) Battosai. The blood he shed weighed down his soul until he could bare it no longer and so took a vow never to kill again, even taking up a Sakabato (reverse blade katana) He began to wander through the Meiji era, but misfortune and meyhem were never far behind him. With a ban on carrying swords, it became difficult to walk armed as he did, but couldn't lay down the sword he'd promised to use to defend the defenseless. He soon met a girl, Kamiya Karou, who was a master of the Kamiyia Kashineryu that promoted 'swords that give life'. In Karou, Kenshin found a person who's innocent and naive soul grounded his own. A reason to live. And thus the story continues, Kenshin now has to face old opponets that seek revenge for their reasons all the while Kenshin is bound to his vow. Will the eventual payment for his sins be his very life?
This series began as a small strip in Shouen Jump and then became so popular that a manga was made and then eventually made a hit anime series. All characters have a historical basis and so gives an almost true look at what the lives of people like these would have been like in those times.

But in truth I just love that red haired man with the cross shaped scar!! So Sexy!!! ^.^

Yeah, I agree, Rurouni Kenshin is excellent. I like the manga alot more than the anime though (After the Kyoto arc, the anime differs greatly from the manga. Where-as the anime does its own little story arcs, the manga goes into the Enishi arc).

Also, if you havn't seen it, definantly check out the RuroKen OVA's. Especially Trust and Betrayal. It is my favorite of the RuroKen anime, and it goes alot deeper into Kenshin's past, including showing Kenshin's former wife, Tomoe. The animation was some of the best I had ever seen, too. In fact, I like Trust and Betrayal the most out of all the RuroKen anime. Can't say more about it aside from telling everyone who even remotely likes RuroKen to check it out.

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/airotciv87
I LOVE BOOKS!!! XD XD XD
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 12:09:56 pm »
i like the harry potter and narnia series too. just 'cause i like fantasy too darn much ^_^.

i like sweep (a 15 book long series >_<). its about this girl who finds out that she's a very powerful bloodwitch. her family is catholic, so she has to hide it from them...except her sister...sho saw her use her powers (she threw witchfire at her boyfriend when he was trying to...you know...do the bad thing with her). then there's the usual people who chase her to have her powers. then theres the usual love triangle that we all love. i still never finished the series yet >_< i'm on book 12 ^///^

oh yeah, i was wondering what the plot is on paranoia agent...i'm watching it on t.v...but i dont know whats going on @_@

i wanna see kenshin >_<
i am asthenophobic, Cleithrophobic, dinophobic, and geroscophobic.

but i am NOT Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Favorite Stories
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 11:25:07 am »
"Harry Potter": See Dustin's answer.  :D

"Love Hina"
Plot: Keitaro is a 20-year-old boy who has been trying to get into Tokyo University (Todai), Japan's top public university, for the two years.  Getting little help from his parents, he goes off to live with his grandmother who owns a hotel.  Little does Keitaro know the the hotel has been changed into a girls' dormitory.  Keitaro meets Naru, another student trying to get into Todai; Shinobu, a shy young girl; Motoko, a kendo-weilding girl; Su, a weird hyper-active girl; and Kitsune, a... ... flirt.  While trying to gain the girls' friendship, Keitaro attempts to keep himself from being a ronin, someone attempting to get into a university, for a third year.  He meets more people on the way and things become more chaotic when love happens between them.
(Hmm, sorry if that seemed too long)

I really like Love Hina as I view it as a comedy/love story more than something full of fan-service.  I also like the character development that takes place and the weirdness of some of the events.  I like Ken Akamatsu's art-style as well and started out drawing bodies based on his characters'.

"Chrono Cross"
(Gawd it's been ages since I last played this but let's see what I remember)
Serge is a young boy who lives in the middle of an archipeligo (spelling?).  One day, while with his girl friend, he goes out to the beach where something strange happens to him.  He wakes up, still on the beach, but the young boy from the village who found him doesn't recognize him.  Serge returns to the village to realize every in his life is gone.  In fact, after talking to everyone, Serge supposedly died a long time ago.  After seeing his own tombstone, Serge meets Kid, a young girl who knows what is so special about Serge.  They go out into the world from island to island in a search for more answers and to hunt down Kid's archnemisis.

This game holds a special place in my heart because it is the first RPG game I played to the very end.  I loved how you could control parts of the storyline, decide which path to take and who would join, and the various stories that were mixed in (don't want to give away too much).  I don't usually like phiosophy but this game includes some without making it too overwhelming.  The various characters are also fun as you try to find them and how they each have their own unique personality that separates them from each other.

(Edit)
Oh yeah, and Mahou Sensei Negima because it's a little bit of Harry Potter and Love Hina mixed together.  ^_^

Offline Dark_Lady_Kassendra

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.geocities.com/darkladykassendra.html
Favorite Stories
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 01:26:28 pm »
Quote from: "Dustin"
Yeah, I agree, Rurouni Kenshin is excellent. I like the manga alot more than the anime though (After the Kyoto arc, the anime differs greatly from the manga. Where-as the anime does its own little story arcs, the manga goes into the Enishi arc).

Also, if you havn't seen it, definantly check out the RuroKen OVA's. Especially Trust and Betrayal. It is my favorite of the RuroKen anime, and it goes alot deeper into Kenshin's past, including showing Kenshin's former wife, Tomoe. The animation was some of the best I had ever seen, too. In fact, I like Trust and Betrayal the most out of all the RuroKen anime. Can't say more about it aside from telling everyone who even remotely likes RuroKen to check it out.

I've seen the OVA's and I love them all!! I agree with the Trust and Betrayal, it's the best.
Jerimiah of Bakazoku Fangirl- (yes, we're even engaged!!!! ^.^ we consumated our love with a Beef Crunch Wrap Supream and a hot sauce packet that asked him to marry me ^.^)

Goggle Squad Fangirl- also so dubbed by Waffles

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
Favorite Stories
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 08:17:52 pm »
Quote from: "Dark_Lady_Kassendra"
Quote from: "Dustin"

I've seen the OVA's and I love them all!! I agree with the Trust and Betrayal, it's the best.

Isn't it?

I honestly think Trust and Betrayal portrayed Kenshin in a seemingly more realistic environment, and it allowed his natural nature to come out. I thought it made him seem alot more realistic than just "The goofy samurai".

Ah, when it comes to Manga-ka's stories, I love anything by Tohru Fujisawa, Ken Akamatsu, and Kaori Yuki.

I have read most all of their works, and havn't read anything by them I have disliked yet.

Shounan Junai Gumi and GTO, both featuring Eikichi Onizuka, or some of my favorites by Fujisawa. I also enjoy Tokko.

Ken Akamatsu's work has always been some of my favorite. He can retain drama, while also keeping it balanced with the comedic aspect of the work. Love Hina, and Mahou Sensei Negima are some good examples. A.I. Love You is also very good.

Kaori Yuki's works that I have read so far are Angel Sanctuary and Count Cain, but I have loved both. Not only are her stories very addicting, her art is some of the most beautiful I have ever seen, and is some of my favorite to look at. Sometimes I don't read it, and I just look through it. Thats how good it is. In Angel Sanctuary, she draws the angels and you truly believe thats how they look. Because angels are supposed to be the most beautiful of all creatures, and the way she draws them makes it believeable.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Favorite Stories
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 03:42:54 am »
trust & betrayal are among my favorites, yet  the teensy bit i saw of the series didn't grab me, in part because it was more action and less emotion i suppose.

likewise with vampire princess miyu, the prequal ova was much more to my liking, more emotion based and less action based, and more sympathetic to the character, than the series.

are there other series/ova pairings in which this is true?

great thread, dustin.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).