Author Topic: Singles kumori meet up  (Read 90771 times)

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
Re: Singles kumori meet up
« Reply #150 on: July 30, 2013, 04:34:27 pm »
To all the peopl only posting negative comments.
Why are you even bothering to post and tear the thread and idea down?
Seriouly. If you don't like it then don't participate no one is forcing you.  Let those who want to do it do it. Its not going to hirt to try and if they want to do it and have fun with it let them go for it.
It may not be a huge success and only twenty or thirty people doing it. So there are thise twenty or thirty people with something akin to an insider game. Who knows maybe people will ask what the hearts are and it will spread.
I say let them do it and enjoy. Whats the wordt that can happen?

Yes I agree that it is more to make friends with possibilities but its still there and fun.

Offline Ryouku-Mirazaki

• Cabbit
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2013, 04:40:40 pm »
I'd like to try this singles meet thing. I mean, at the convention. I think it would be fun and a great chance to meet new people and perhaps not be a nervous wad of person when I do so.
I just hope I'm not covered in grey paint whenever the meeting time will be. I think people can be afraid to meet us Homestuckers, ahaha.

:S

But yes, I would enjoy doing this and I hope it is a thing that still happens.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #152 on: July 30, 2013, 05:16:14 pm »
To all the peopl only posting negative comments.
Why are you even bothering to post and tear the thread and idea down?
Seriouly. If you don't like it then don't participate no one is forcing you.  Let those who want to do it do it. Its not going to hirt to try and if they want to do it and have fun with it let them go for it.
It may not be a huge success and only twenty or thirty people doing it. So there are thise twenty or thirty people with something akin to an insider game. Who knows maybe people will ask what the hearts are and it will spread.
I say let them do it and enjoy. Whats the wordt that can happen?

Yes I agree that it is more to make friends with possibilities but its still there and fun.

Idk if you mean me, since I seem to be the only one not jumping for joy at it, but in case you didn't read, pretty much no one attended last year..Because why? Because of the exact reasons I and the others that talked like me have mentioned. It IS a good idea, but only if it's done correctly..Not even 1/8 of the attendee count goes on the forums it seems, so that means only less then 1/8 of the con goers will even know it exists..It's extremely hard to run a panel only 10 people say they are up for out of thousands

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #153 on: July 30, 2013, 05:22:13 pm »
Oh and by the way, in no way am I saying this should not happen. Honestly I think it's an amazing idea. It just doesn't work with only a few people. If we had like a thousand people even doing the heart thing, this would be a rousing success, but the 10-20 people on here, really? How many people are going to talk to that person for this exact reason? If 20 people out of 5000 do this, how often do you think you're ever going to SEE those 20 people? A lot of them, you probably will never even see throughout the entire weekend..

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #154 on: July 30, 2013, 06:23:44 pm »
Sailor-Jeimi - I was not singling you out sorry if it sounded that way.
I coulda sworn I had seen more negatives in other pages, so if I am mistaken I do apologize. I was just trying to put out a message to say lets try it. So sorry if it was taken as a flame or bashing. I truly do apologize.

But going off what you just said maybe we should advertise it around? Everyone tell a few people get the word out see how much we can spread this? I agree thousands of people wearing the hearts and this could be truly amazing. But all ideas have to start somewhere. 

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #155 on: July 30, 2013, 06:42:05 pm »
I'd can post on coscom, but I mean, the only ones that'll see it are already on here..so..other then that idk what else to do other then making it a panel.

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #156 on: July 30, 2013, 07:42:04 pm »
Maybe the Kumo Facebook?
In other threads that do things like the safety ribbons, and glomp stickers etc. If your replying just put in a line mentioning this is going on too. etc.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #157 on: July 30, 2013, 09:46:00 pm »
Well I can't post there, I don't use fb. But if you think it'll help I can do a coscom one I guess

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #158 on: July 30, 2013, 10:15:21 pm »
Anything helps, what can it hurt?

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #159 on: July 30, 2013, 11:04:21 pm »
A quick update.
This idea is gaining a lot of popularity on the facebook group. So chances are this will grow far larger than those in this thread.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #160 on: July 31, 2013, 12:06:26 am »
Well hopefully haha Anyway, I posted it to coscom:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?p=4730182#post4730182

Offline You-friend-Sushi

• Cabbit
« Reply #161 on: July 31, 2013, 01:05:03 am »
I'll be putting a heart sticker on my badge. c:
I'd love to make some new friends and if things go well, then yay. If not, I think this is a good idea and am glad to have randomly found this XD
I typo'd my name. It's Your-friend-Sushi. Pleased to meet you. C:

Offline Magical Catboy

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #162 on: July 31, 2013, 07:27:42 am »
My convention back home (Kawaii-Kon) had a very successful Otaku Speed Dating panel that I never had time to attend. You could look into this? It's a GREAT option. And, if it were an official panel you could advertise the heart/badge thing in the description for the whole con to see.
I just moved from Hawaii to Portland.
I would love to find some wonderful friends here who love not only anime and games, but the outdoors too!
Hiking, Camping, Swimming, General Adventures and Exploring~
If this sounds like you, message me! =^-^=

Offline slaidninj

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #163 on: July 31, 2013, 08:04:21 am »
Count me in :P Hopeless romantic coming through. XD

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2013, 08:09:47 am »
Your Central Oregon Otaku Chef here.
The sheer amount of support on the facebook page is staggering. In less than twenty four hours we have received.
20 likes, 50 replies, Several more people spreading the word. We have people on twitter, word of mouth, and spreading it via facebook to friends.
I have a feeling this may actually grow into something.

Magical Catboy - I would volunteer to run the speed dating but as of this moment I am not sure I am going to be able to attend the con just because of possible lack of having a room and needing to get it off work.(which the work shouldnt be a problem I am a manager and the place is so laid back its not funny. The only problem is I am the manager and head chef XD so if my boss wants the weekend off tooo......)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #165 on: July 31, 2013, 08:43:36 am »
What the hell. I'll give it a shot.

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2013, 09:28:13 am »
Another quicky update.
I have spoken to con staff and the stickers are allowed as long as they are not blocking any badge information.

A lady who will be working at the information booth is checking for approval but has offered to have stickers and a info paper at the booth for us as well.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #167 on: July 31, 2013, 02:08:07 pm »
Wow already? Holy crap that is awesome. I will totally be doing it then.

If they do get the stickers to hand out at the booth, are they going to make sure to let us (or you at least) know? I'm sure it'd be easier to know before hand so if ew need to get our own, we can lol

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2013, 05:39:02 pm »
So after a long discussion on the facebook page here is what it all breaks down to
There has been 30 likes, 211 comments.

Stickers are allowed on the badge cover not the badge itself. As long as it doesnt obstruct any badge info.
We are allowed to hand out stickers to those who want them.
It is advised you bring a black sticker or sharpy to remove your sticker when you are done with it. So when you no longer wish to be approached.
The info booth can not hand out stuff being this is not an official con event.
Those are the nuts and bolts of it.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2013, 05:55:28 pm »
So after a long discussion on the facebook page here is what it all breaks down to
There has been 30 likes, 211 comments.

Stickers are allowed on the badge cover not the badge itself. As long as it doesnt obstruct any badge info.
We are allowed to hand out stickers to those who want them.
It is advised you bring a black sticker or sharpy to remove your sticker when you are done with it. So when you no longer wish to be approached.
The info booth can not hand out stuff being this is not an official con event.
Those are the nuts and bolts of it.

Who is "we" that will will passing out stickers? I mean if you are talking about you and a few others you happen to know, there are chances some people may not see the exact people handing them out, or may not know you even ARE handing them out..Will there be a place we go to get the stickers?

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #170 on: July 31, 2013, 06:08:01 pm »
By "we" I just meant who ever feels like handing them out.
I will have  few sheets of stickers I am able to hand out and have told people such.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #171 on: July 31, 2013, 06:11:56 pm »
I will have  few sheets of stickers I am able to hand out and have told people such.

Ah, see, that's what I mean..What if I never see you? Or what if I see you, but I've never met you so I have no idea who you are or that you're the one with the stickers..How am I, or anyone else in my position suppose to get one from you?

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #172 on: July 31, 2013, 06:31:54 pm »

Ah, see, that's what I mean..What if I never see you? Or what if I see you, but I've never met you so I have no idea who you are or that you're the one with the stickers..How am I, or anyone else in my position suppose to get one from you?

I have suggest that people buy their own. I just have said I will be carrying extras.
I will also be wearing a few distinctive cosplays or hopefully anyway.
But yes i have suggested people buy their own. I am just a back up.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #173 on: July 31, 2013, 06:40:29 pm »
Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering. I'll be sure to get my own

Offline Lord_Umbreon

• Cabbit
« Reply #174 on: July 31, 2013, 09:00:55 pm »
Yeah this sounds like fun count me in.
Day by Day Hour by hour,
 the sands of time Shower down
in this hourglass of life.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #175 on: August 01, 2013, 12:58:07 am »
Which is a generous number from what I'm seeing here. That's why it needs more exposure than to be swept into one of the smallest corners on this forum. I'm thinking of asking the guy that produces the Cosplay in America book on if he has any ideas on how to spread this idea on a large scale.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #176 on: August 02, 2013, 11:21:39 am »
The post on the kumori facebook group so far has reached 33 likes close to 300 comments.
Not everyone who has liked has commented and not all who have commented have liked.
Yes a large number of comments are the same people.  There has been a number of discussions. Ranging from is this allowed , to should minors be allowed to participate and more.
So really the idea has doubled or tripled in size in a few days.  It may not be thousands strong but I think the chances of seeing another heart wearer are fairly good.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2013, 12:26:01 pm »
I have an idea since you mentioned "should minors be allowed". I know places like Sakuracon have a symbol on their minors badges. Maybe we can do like different stickers for minors. Like this (doesn't have to be, just a thought):
Pink- Adult looking for females
Blue- Adult looking for males
Green- Adult looking bor both

Yellow- Minor looking for females
Red- Minor looking for males
White- Minor looking for both

I wanted to write this with the minor colors being EXTREMELY different then the adult ones lol
But yea, this type of thing can keep the "accidentally doing this with a minor" thing down.

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #178 on: August 02, 2013, 01:32:30 pm »
I wanted to write this with the minor colors being EXTREMELY different then the adult ones lol
Aren't the badges themselves still different colors?
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #179 on: August 02, 2013, 03:40:29 pm »
Oh are they? This is my first Kumori so I didn't know that

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2013, 06:34:33 pm »
Yes the badges themselves are different colors.
Blue and Yellow.
So it should really help with the age problem for the most part.

Offline iBubbleTeax3

• Catgirl
« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2013, 09:17:55 pm »
//shrugs

Might as well take this as a chance to make some new friends xD
My friends might join in possibly. (Which is like 2-5?)

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2013, 11:04:03 pm »
Oh..that settles that then haha everyone can ignore my long sticker post then lol anyway for those who care, I'll be wearing a green one I believe (that's the looking for either, right? Yea..that one lol)

Offline Lord_Umbreon

• Cabbit
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2013, 05:07:27 am »
Okay I don't know if this was mentioned or not but I do have 1 question, Is there a specific meet up spot for all of us who to meet up, or how is it going down? I hope my question is clear.
Day by Day Hour by hour,

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2013, 08:43:39 am »
Umbreon,
There is no set meet up spot.
When you get your badge, place the sticker, color of your choosing, on the badge holder where it does not block any con badge info. Next, just enjoy your con as normal. Look out for fellow sticker wearers engage in conversation where applicable and over all enjoy your con.
I am sure many of us will be hanging out in the park and going to event like the dance and rave, so chances are there will be higher concentration of wearers at those locations and events.

Offline Lord_Umbreon

• Cabbit
« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2013, 01:49:42 pm »
Thanks now I wont spend hours looking for the meet up spot lol.
Day by Day Hour by hour,

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2013, 05:26:08 pm »
haha no worries, glad to help.

Offline Mongobeef

• Oni
« Reply #187 on: August 05, 2013, 02:24:17 pm »
Sounds like a pretty awesome idea, Guess I'll have to be looking for a Green Heart to put on my badge

Offline Citael

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #188 on: August 05, 2013, 05:25:56 pm »
This sounds like a great idea! :3

I'm not sure if I'll actually be looking to be dating or anything though ^^; Considering I'm just fifteen, and I'm getting the feeling that most of you are probably older than myself. Probably just going to be looking for some friends! :D

Anddd...By the way, I just want to clear this up. So, the official coloring for the hearts is...Pink if you're looking for a woman, blue if you're looking for a male, and green if you're fine with both? Is that correct?

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2013, 12:36:20 am »
There are a number of underage people joining in on this as well.
Its more to find friends and have the possibility of romance. Its to allow people to get to know others.
Yes the colors as
Pink looking for female, blue looking for male, green for both.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2013, 02:12:53 pm »
I think as long as the adults and minors that talk to each other aren't hitting on/groping/making a move on eachother, then it should be fine. I don't think this is just an event to find a new bf/gf, but more to make new friends that are also looking to eventually find someone but this way you can go up to someone and not have their bf/gf come up and it get sall akward lol So nothing wrong with doing this to make friends, it makes it way way easier to actually talk to someone

Offline Amezuki

• Cabbit
    • My no-frills SAO/fanfic/language-geek page
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2013, 08:48:37 am »
Me and my pink sticker will be there Friday through Sunday. Chances are I won't have any costumes ready in time for this con, but if I'm in street clothes I'm most likely to be wearing jeans and a black t-shirt with «Immortal Object» in purple. Possibly a black Aperture Laboratories t-shirt when the SAO shirt isn't clean.

I haven't really been able to review the FB group yet--are there currently any plans for any actual events, even if informal? Or is it pretty much, "see sticker, try to make a friend"?

Offline OtakuChef

• Cabbit
« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2013, 12:55:31 am »
Its pretty much see sticker try to make friend.
I can tell you many of us will be at the Anarchy Ball and the Kumori Ball, as well as the raves both nights. So there should be a fair concentration of sticker wearers those days
I also have a feeling Day 0 in the park there will be a number.
In short its wear sticker, have fun, make friends.

Offline Amezuki

• Cabbit
« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2013, 06:30:34 am »
It's actually really helpful that the badges for minors are a completely different color. As an older fan one thing I really have to be conscious of given the way the demographics in fandom skew is not putting myself in positions that could be misconstrued as hitting on or being alone with minors. It's kind of the elephant in the room whenever I'm talking to or hanging out with random people at con even casually and don't know their age.

It's still going to be there in the back of my mind, though, even with adults wearing a blue sticker. I look (and for that matter, feel and act) a lot younger than I am so I'm always afraid of how someone will react when we get around to asking ages--and they find out I'm like 39 when they're like 20-25 or something like that. I can't really help when I was born--just means I'm familiar with a lot of 90's anime and remember VHS fansubs. XD

Offline Lord_Umbreon

• Cabbit
« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2013, 01:33:07 pm »
Here is an Idea about the whole age thing, when you put your sticker on put down you age, and if you don't feel comfortable putting your exact age, if you over 18 put 18+ also if your under 18 put  17- just a thought
Day by Day Hour by hour,

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #195 on: August 17, 2013, 02:04:24 pm »
Here is an Idea about the whole age thing, when you put your sticker on put down you age, and if you don't feel comfortable putting your exact age, if you over 18 put 18+ also if your under 18 put  17- just a thought

I like this idea, but with a little differences..It seems the basges are different for minors, so no one needs to specify that they are under or over 18, the badge does that FOR them..I think maybe we could put age ranges on it. Maybe having the minors stay they way they are, then the 18+ put their tanges. Like 18-20, then 21-29, 30-39 and so on. That way if you all wanna hang out cuz you think they are cute or whatever, a 30 Year old isn't trying to pick up on, say, a 20 year old that wants to keep in their own age range.

Offline bigdadytid

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • the russian facebook
« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2013, 02:20:22 pm »
should you really need that as long as over 18 is established?
greasy, tattooed asian trash

2014-auction staff
2013-roaming yojimbo

Offline Amezuki

• Cabbit
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2013, 02:29:55 pm »
I like this, aside from a few points.

First, not everyone has great eyesight and I know I'd be squinting to read people's ages--which seems like a great way to be mistaken for staring at their chest. ^^;; Aren't these likely to be small so they don't obstruct badge info?

Second, it's ambiguous--does it mean what age range that person is in, or what they're looking for? I don't want my age to be an unwelcome surprise, but I don't want that to be construed at "don't talk to me unless you're close to my age". Just knowing who's an adult is good enough for me.

It's probably best to keep this as simple as possible to avoid misinterpretation. But I do like the direction you're thinking.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2013, 02:32:18 pm »
It was just a thought..don't have to..and I mean for how old you are.

Offline DufenDorgen

• Cabbit
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2013, 06:42:11 pm »
I don't want to read your thread, there should really be a first post update. Whats the badge code for single and strait?
I sell snake oil and snake oil accessories. ;)