Author Topic: Cosplay Swords....  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
Cosplay Swords....
« on: November 06, 2011, 03:51:49 pm »
So I'm getting a new Soi Fong costume this year, and thought it would be cool to have her sword too. I don't want her sword in shikai (or bankai, way too big), but just sheathed to carry around. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Can anyone tell me where I might be able to buy one? or one that looks close to it that I can modify?
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
Re: Cosplay Swords....
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:01:34 am »
I happened upon this one: http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Bleach-soi-fon-Cosplay-costume-blade-katana-sword-top-/260763241138

I find that pricey...neh...but it looks nice. I think you can find a regular katana/bokken and redesign it to your liking... :)
And so it begins...

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:58:16 am »
oh I love that one! Thanks!
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)

Offline princessmoon

• Catgirl
    • Instagram: 10g10k
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 10:32:47 pm »
Oh good--hope you eventually find one you like! ^^
And so it begins...

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 04:42:23 pm »
Depending on how close to realistic looking you want it, but I'd check out like finnigans or goodwill for plastic samurai swords.

Or if you're feeling creative, make it yourself out of balsa or something :)
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 09:26:40 pm »
i was looking for plastic samurai swords at every department store this Halloween, but no luck :( i was just going to make one out of that.

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 11:53:08 pm »
I wouldn't use balsa, it would have pretty much no durability. I've made quite a few wooden katanas and I've had good luck with cedar which you can get pretty cheap from any hardware store.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 04:14:41 am »
I wouldn't use balsa, it would have pretty much no durability. I've made quite a few wooden katanas and I've had good luck with cedar which you can get pretty cheap from any hardware store.

Dur...Durability?

I know Balsa's not the strongest wood, but a double layer would be okay to drop from any height. What would you use it for that you'd be worried about it breaking? 0.o
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 08:25:47 am »
Zensuke...would cedar be easy to cut, shape, and sand?  It's not a really hard wood?

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 11:47:56 pm »
now you all are talking things way outta my league  ;) i'm just a simple seamstress, and i live in an apartment and have nothing to use to do any of that. i appreciate the ideas though.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 04:44:35 am »
now you all are talking things way outta my league  ;) i'm just a simple seamstress, and i live in an apartment and have nothing to use to do any of that. i appreciate the ideas though.

That's why I say balsa!

you will need:
-balsa
-a hand saw (like 4 inch long)
-sand paper (1 moderate grain, 1 fine grain)
-wood glue
-whatever color paint.
...NEVER KNOWS BEST