Author Topic: Death before a Con (or during it....)  (Read 2258 times)

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
Death before a Con (or during it....)
« on: October 29, 2011, 04:38:15 pm »
No, the title of this thread is not what you think it is. It's NOT about someone dying at the con, but someone famous that we may know, in some way.

I don't know whether it's a curse, but in the five years I have been to anime cons, someone famous dies before I attend it for the first time! (Or more rarely, during it.)

Some examples:
SakuraCon 2006 (my first con EVER): Peter Tomarken, host of Press Your Luck dies in a plane crash less than two weeks before it begins.
KumoriCon 2008: A double whammy, but the first death is Trailblazers star Kevin Duckworth, who dies of a heart attack, and during day 2, Don LaFontaine, best known for being the voice of many commercials, movie trailers, the like, dies of a collapsed lung.
Anime Expo 2009: Hoo-boy. This was a real doozie. We lost Farrah Fawcett, Billy Mays and Michael Jackson. Wow. AX09 became like MJX during the whole time, looking back.
FanimeCon 2010: Two deaths: First of troubled ex-child star Gary Coleman, and veteran actor Dennis Hopper (some of you recognize him from as King Koopa from the Super Mario Bros. live action film).
AkiCon 2010: The famed Wheel of Fortune announcer, Charlie O'Donnell, passes away from heart failure.

What do you think? Am I cursed, or is this all badly timed? You decide.

(But, as a sidenote, I do try to pay tribute to the deceased in my own special way.)

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
Re: Death before a Con (or during it....)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:32 pm »
Dont forget Brittany Murphy and The Rev from avenged 7fold. They died in 2009 like right around christmas.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:11:16 pm »
I don't think it is a curse. People die every day so it shouldn't be surprising that even celebrities die, especially when a lot of the ones you mentioned had drug problems to speed up the process and increase the risk unfortunately.

MJ isn't dead, he is just hiding until he can do the thriller dance as a real zombie. He'll probably pop his head back out at the end of his "Immortal World Tour"
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 11:00:04 am »
When the huge epics of illness go around... we tease that if there are someone famous with it and her, she'll steal their life and live! Examples would be pneomona and Dr.Sues.... He was suppose to live and she die and it was reversed. Jim Henson too. And then with the latest and then Billy Mayes, MJ and the group.

So I think it's just the timing, not a curse. But something that can be chuckled at.

May they all rest in peace still. <3

Part of DoNotWant and RPOD

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 11:58:13 am »
And may they rest in pieces if they come back as zombies... >.<
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 02:07:13 am »
Steve Irwin died in 2006 during Kumoricon. My parents, who picked us up told us about it on the last day of the con as we were driving back to the con. The spooky thing? I believe Best in Show or at least one of the awards went to a very funny skit at the Cosplay Contest involving Steve Irwin finding different species of anime characters of species of otaku during an anime convention, the same day he died.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 06:33:43 pm »
before skaura my female cockatil died and after con the day i got home the baby cockatil flew out and ended up dieing and know i am left with the dad and he bites it sucks bad