Author Topic: Help on cosplay prop scythe  (Read 2370 times)

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
Help on cosplay prop scythe
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:00:43 am »
alright guys, so for my next cosplay i will be working on Kneesocks from panty and stocking with garterbelt.
and i was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on making her scythe, i want to make about a 5'3"-5'8" scythe, and i was going to use a dowel and was going to use thick cardbord and tape, then  go over with paper mache and paint for the blade
i'd really like some tips, or suggestions on making this prop because it will be my first time making a large prop
thank you for anyone who read this, and thanks for all help

((also, here is a pretty good visual of the scythe))
http://atlasmaximus.deviantart.com/art/Sexy-Kneesocks-187311323

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
Re: Help on cosplay prop scythe
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 08:22:53 am »
my friend always taught me that giving it wood as a core is SUPER important so that it wont fall apart in the event... the surface details can be anything you want. personally i prefer rubber sheet but since america doesnt have that raw material here, i would go for cardboard on something that big... just make sure to give it a lot of foundation so it'll be very solid.
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline 7bijou7

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:20:58 am »
my friend always taught me that giving it wood as a core is SUPER important so that it wont fall apart in the event... the surface details can be anything you want. personally i prefer rubber sheet but since america doesnt have that raw material here, i would go for cardboard on something that big... just make sure to give it a lot of foundation so it'll be very solid.

Using wood makes it a bit heavier though... Well I guess it'd be ok if you used a lighter wood and a thin layer of it. I have a soul scythe and the pole it's on is actually what makes it heavy cause it's wood, but the head of the scythe is all foam. =_= it can get tired carrying around after awhile, not to mention the whole things size.

Here's two tutorials you could follow, you might have to adjust them a bit for what you want, but they seem relatively similar to what you need. Read the whole tutorial before you start, and make sure you understand what you'd be doing. 
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=scythe+tutorial#/d2x9tzo
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=scythe+tutorial#/d25wzvv

Planned Cosplays for Kumo 2015:
BB Hood - Darkstalkers
Umi Sonoda (Yume no Tobira ver.) - Love Live!
Bunny Maid TV Head - Original
Princess Bubblegum (Tart Dress) - Adventure Time

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:12:08 pm »
thanks guys, thats really helpful