Poll

What would you consider the most annoying thing at an anime convention?

I lost the game
97 (44.9%)
How do I get into voice acting?
19 (8.8%)
Two thirds of the cosplays being the same characters
46 (21.3%)
Autograph lines taking too long
9 (4.2%)
Other (specify)
45 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 214

Author Topic: Most annoying thing at an anime convention  (Read 471040 times)

Offline TanisNikana

• Bunnygirl
Re: Most annoying thing at an anime convention
« Reply #350 on: September 12, 2012, 10:45:59 pm »
I'm just saying that some folks were drooling pretty hard over it. Personally, I wanna see more cosplayers from Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, myself...

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #351 on: September 13, 2012, 03:44:31 pm »
I'm annoyed every year about whatever the trend is, even if I happen to absolutely love the show/thing that the cosplays come from. I always go home thinking, "Geez, why were there so many *blank* cosplayers", But, like was said, trends are a part of life and it's a fun thing to look for every year. "What's going to be over played this year?"

Highschool of the Dead.  <.< >.>  (My guess)  I'm only saying this because I'm going as Saeko to Sakura-Con and I've heard lots of people talking about going as other characters.

Offline That_Guy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #352 on: September 13, 2012, 04:03:52 pm »
Working at Reg for a few years, one of the interesting things about the job is when you print the badges, after awhile you can see the trend of what's the "in thing" with cosplayers or whatever by looking at the badge names.

We knew that Hetalia was not as popular this year like in 2011 but Black Butler was what we saw was the big thing until I found out what Homestuck was at con and looking back realized it was the number 1 choice in badge names this year.

I should be able to find out what's the next big theme is for 2013 by mid March.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:04:47 pm by That_Guy »

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #353 on: September 13, 2012, 04:06:46 pm »
Working at Reg for a few years, one of the interesting things about the job is when you print the badges, after awhile you can see the trend of what's the "in thing" with cosplayers or whatever by looking at the badge names.

We knew that Hetalia was not as popular this year like in 2011 but Black Butler was what we saw was the big thing until I found out what Homestuck was at con and looking back realized it was the number 1 choice in badge names this year.

I should be able to find out what's the next big theme is for 2013 by mid March.

Oooo!  You should let us know!

Offline iceytina

• Cabbit
    • Cashlin Snow's Blog
« Reply #354 on: September 27, 2012, 09:37:46 pm »
Ok, someone like me, who, honestly, is just pathetically out of touch with Anime and Manga, had an amazing time because I was not familiar with most cosplays. I just loved to see all the effort people made with their cosplays, redundant or not.... however.... it's taxing to read 24 pages of complaints (funny though too) and I'm probably repeating people here but... the more the merrier?

1. People standing in halls wanting hugs, with or without signs (that Chii last year in the hall wanting hugs creeped me out).

2. Rude, space-shoving people. Please remember, the world does not revolve around you. And if you're really rude (shoving and just plain ignoring people) about your space, I'll be tempted to "drop a hint" to you in some manner.

3. Self-involved, shallow people who think they are glamorous. C'mon. It's been said a lot already -- cosPLAY. You don't have to 'have the body type' to cosplay.

4. People who try to break cosplay rules. I saw this neko-ish girl in line for the exhibit hall in the Red Lion, and her behind was half-showing. No tights. Nothing covering it. It was just all gloriously out there. The rest of her costume was quite... revealing. How did she get past the rules on THAT?

5. People who only notice others based upon their cosplay. I was talking to a girl waiting for the ball, and she and her friend told me how weird, and unsettling, it was for them. In costume, they were really popular; when they got out of the costume, people disregarded them so much, some were even bumping into them. How rude...

6. Panels where you wonder, how did this panel get accepted? ...

7. Hearing this type of thing: "WHEN I WAS IN JAPAN..." "IN JAPAN THEY..." "I KNOW HIRAGANA/KATAKANA/KANJI" "MY JAPANESE FRIEND SAID" "I'M GOING TO JAPAN NEXT MONTH". Ok. You like Japan in some manner. Obviously. I mean, you're at an Anime con... no one really cares about all that Japanese stuff you know (or most likely don't), because you're making such a point of it.

Everything Shadow said, who is an obviously amazing person.

- The game.
- Mainstream cosplays. (It's unfortunate seeing the same characters over and over again.)
- People thinking that just because you're at a convention means they can forget all common sense and manners.
- People who can't recognize when a conversation is over. (And you're trying your best to be polite, but it's just like, "Yeah.. um... I have to.. go..".)
- Weeboos. (I know, I know, I'm at an anime convention.)
- The Glomp Circle. (Yes I still have a vendetta against it from last year's incident.)
- People asking for photos at inappropriate times.
- People clogging the halls.
- Con creepers.
- Con drama.
- People who aren't respectful of fragile or expensive costumes.
- Loud people. (Srsly. Shut up.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:40:39 pm by iceytina »

Offline iceytina

• Cabbit
    • Cashlin Snow's Blog
« Reply #355 on: September 27, 2012, 09:39:41 pm »
Accidental repeat. Ignore.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 09:40:25 pm by iceytina »

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #356 on: September 28, 2012, 08:16:21 am »
people who dont show up on time and dont bother to tell you they are running late T.T

when PHOTO SHOOTS SUDDENLY CHANGE THEIR MEET UP LOCATION WITH NO WARNING. missed most of the day 2 photo shoot cuz of this....
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #357 on: September 30, 2012, 12:03:25 am »
I'm expecting Gangnam Style to be the next Caramelldansen. I'm trying to limit myself since I know by this time next year I'll want to shove knitting needles in my ears to avoid hearing it.

Also, squealing. I can't stand squealing. There's no need for shrieks or ear piercing screams. If I wanted that, I'd hang out in the Maternity ward or at Toys R Us on a sale day.

Also people who can't translate things that are acceptable at a con (shrieking, over-excitement, whatnot) into public places where non-con goers are at like normal restaurants, Starbucks, etc. It's awesome that you're so excited, but take a deep breath. Your excitement and noise can cause a lot of problems so please use your manners and don't destroy something because it's fun or you're caught up in some "random" character moment. Be aware of your surroundings and also don't forget to tip! The restaurant workers and Starbucks baristas probably had NO idea you were coming and that is a freaking hard job when you've got a giant line of people, a giant cup queu, a giant line of people waiting, and it's all god damn frappuccinos.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #358 on: October 01, 2012, 12:57:03 am »
People that complain too much about every single tiny thing and forget something important- it's an anime convention! Have FUN!!!  ;)

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #359 on: October 01, 2012, 06:47:32 am »
I'm not sure if I've posted here or not yet but this was my first time going to opening ceremonies and what really bugged me was the people who were responding to what was being said on stage. (I.E. BlackStar and the guy up in front this year). This could just be the theater major in me speaking out, but I thought it was really really rude.

But hey, maybe that's just me. Everyone else seems to LOVE Blackstar. xD

It was a wonderful con though! (:
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #360 on: October 01, 2012, 11:53:47 am »
I'm not sure if I've posted here or not yet but this was my first time going to opening ceremonies and what really bugged me was the people who were responding to what was being said on stage. (I.E. BlackStar and the guy up in front this year). This could just be the theater major in me speaking out, but I thought it was really really rude.

I like it, it's part of the con atmosphere, but there's a limit, and it can get out of hand way to fast.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #361 on: January 27, 2013, 08:39:42 pm »
Oh, I have a new one. Panel Warfare. If you're a panelist (especially here at Kumoricon, it seems), you'll eventually find that some panel idea you've come up with steps on SOMEONE's toes. Maybe you just moved to the northwest and you've run panels in your hometown back wherever that were really great. You want to run them again. You make a post on the forum or on facebook about wanting to run such and such panel....and then 3 or 4 people suddenly jump down your throat accusing you of 'stealing a panel idea' or trying to 'railroad' the competition for such and such panel in such and such fandom. You find yourself nitpicking old panel schedules (if you can find them), and going over the 'panels' forum with a fine toothed comb trying to figure out if anyone has run that panel before, because apparently you need permission from someone who ran a similar panel 5 years ago and hasn't done it since if you want to run your panel now.

or you think "oh my god, I can't apply for [panel name here] because I don't want to move in on [panelists who always runs it]'s turf".  What I hate: When being a panelist for an anime convention feels like Gang Warfare.

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #362 on: January 28, 2013, 10:41:42 am »
I'm expecting Gangnam Style to be the next Caramelldansen. I'm trying to limit myself since I know by this time next year I'll want to shove knitting needles in my ears to avoid hearing it.

Also, squealing. I can't stand squealing. There's no need for shrieks or ear piercing screams. If I wanted that, I'd hang out in the Maternity ward or at Toys R Us on a sale day.

Also people who can't translate things that are acceptable at a con (shrieking, over-excitement, whatnot) into public places where non-con goers are at like normal restaurants, Starbucks, etc. It's awesome that you're so excited, but take a deep breath. Your excitement and noise can cause a lot of problems so please use your manners and don't destroy something because it's fun or you're caught up in some "random" character moment. Be aware of your surroundings and also don't forget to tip! The restaurant workers and Starbucks baristas probably had NO idea you were coming and that is a freaking hard job when you've got a giant line of people, a giant cup queu, a giant line of people waiting, and it's all god damn frappuccinos.

Squealing can get annoying, if it is inside.
People forgetting the rest of the world and being loud and stupid in front of normal people is the only thing that turns me off of conventions. It's even worse that these kind of people tend to forget that not everyone at a con is cool with the same things you are. I've known people who tend to shout things like "You're Sexy" from yards away to people. Strangers have even gotten too friendly way too quick to me, which makes me freak out.
ALSO EVERY TIP IS YOU CAN! My mom was a waitress for years. All the crap cosplayers do sometimes would drive her insane, a good tip would help her greatly.

I agree but I think it's because we love theater.
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #363 on: February 13, 2013, 10:31:33 am »
The most annoying thing would have to be the game/MARCO....POLO.../the chair bit. GADS! After a while a running gag can get rather aggravating in my own personal opinion. There's only so much of anything that I can stand before it gets tedious.

As for costumes my thoughts on the costume debate can be summed up in the words of one Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. "It doesn't matter!" I like ALL costumes, it doesn't matter if it's an OC or a canon chaarcter, I love ALL costumes and treat the people who put time and effort into them the way I want to be treated. It's the Golden rule, "Treat others as you want to be treated". I want to be treated with respect, so I treat others wih respect. It's as simple as that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 07:41:49 am by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
« Reply #364 on: February 14, 2013, 07:41:02 pm »
Marco Polo and I just lost the game. UGH.

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline wildlavender

• Cabbit
    • My DeviantART account! :D
« Reply #365 on: February 15, 2013, 05:08:31 pm »
Being mistaken for someone else, because we are cosplaying the same character. Probably shot myself in the foot on that one. That is why I'm going outside the box with this year's cosplay. My friends wanted me to cosplay as a pokemon gijinka, like the rest of my group. I instead chose to create my own gijinka from an old PS2 game, and one of my all-time favorites; Monster Rancher 4.

So far, not regretting it. It's a good challenge, and it's really broadening my skill set. I'm learning how to style my own wigs, and how to make props and accessories. Polyurathane foam is freaking amazing, by the way.

I'm pretty much used to the squealing, hyperactivity, and overused jokes by now. My friends do that all the time.
Kumoricon 2014 Cosplays:
Matryoshka! Gumi (Vocaloid): (100%)
Tiger (Monster Rancher 4): (90%)
Nuregami (Okami): (100%)
Kululu (Sgt. Frog): (95%)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #366 on: February 16, 2013, 11:07:20 am »
I'm expecting Gangnam Style to be the next Caramelldansen.

I'd say that Gangnam has far surpassed Caramelldansen already.  It was performed at an NFL game, it was performed by videobombers in Hurricane Sandy news broadcasts, has been repetitively played on mainstream radio, modified for a Super Bowl commercial, etc.

However, you're right about mentioning that song in this thread.  Though I haven't seen it done at a con yet, I wouldn't be surprised if it's made multiple appearances at some, and may show up at Sakuracon & Kumoricon.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #367 on: February 18, 2013, 07:53:02 am »
Gangnam Style will most definitely be appearing at Kumoricon. I say that with a grimace. I guess I'm a hipster, because I liked that so much before everyone hopped on the "ride-this-into-the-ground" train. Now I can't stand it.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #368 on: February 19, 2013, 05:20:28 pm »
^ Maybe someone will combine it with the chair...  :-X

Offline Wrath-Chan19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #369 on: February 20, 2013, 04:34:14 pm »
No bad Aaron! That should never come into existence
I rarely get on here anymore, if you want to chat hit me up on Cosplay.com. I my username is Loveable-Eve

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #370 on: February 20, 2013, 06:50:40 pm »
No bad Aaron! That should never come into existence

Agreed Wrath-chan19. THERE ARE SOME THINGS MAN WAS JUST NOT MEANT TO KNOW!!!!!
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #371 on: February 23, 2013, 02:30:54 pm »
I'm just saying that some folks were drooling pretty hard over it. Personally, I wanna see more cosplayers from Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, myself...
Heck yes on the future MGDMT cosplays.

I did find myself getting irritated by people stopping in the middle of the hall for pictures. Seriously finish walking to the end of the hall or get to the wall!
Secrety secrets!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #372 on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:59 pm »
I did find myself getting irritated by people stopping in the middle of the hall for pictures. Seriously finish walking to the end of the hall or get to the wall!

This, unfortunately, is not just a con problem. People in general, no matter where it may be or what they may be doing, do this. People will, against all logic, stop in the middle of walkways to do things that would be easier done if they stepped to the side.

People, eh?

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #373 on: February 23, 2013, 03:57:07 pm »
I personally don't like when a ton of people dress as the same character because I like variety. Of course, it's kind of difficult to predict what everyone else is going to be until you get there, so I'm not going to get mad at anybody, but I know it affects my own personal choice about who I'm cosplaying as.
Kumoricon 2014: Possibilities - Female Rock Lee (Naruto). Female Mako (LoK). Poison Shroom Toadette (Mario). Hawkeye (Marvel). Vaporeon (Pokemon). Izzy (TDI). Maskless Deadpool (Marvel). Jubilee (Marvel). Pacific Rim character.

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #374 on: February 23, 2013, 06:27:59 pm »

This, unfortunately, is not just a con problem. People in general, no matter where it may be or what they may be doing, do this. People will, against all logic, stop in the middle of walkways to do things that would be easier done if they stepped to the side.

People, eh?
I know.  :P It just reminds me of grade school when we all had to walk in line down the hallways, but if even one person messes around the whole line gets jammed. Ah well thats when superior dodging skills come into play.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 06:30:06 pm by Lin »
Secrety secrets!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2013, 12:54:18 pm »
I personally don't like when a ton of people dress as the same character because I like variety. Of course, it's kind of difficult to predict what everyone else is going to be until you get there, so I'm not going to get mad at anybody, but I know it affects my own personal choice about who I'm cosplaying as.

Yeah, that can get somewhat annoying, in particular when it's a character that (for me) is a relatively unknown or could care less about...  I suppose it isn't too bad in cases where there's minimal/no drama associated with the cosplayers.

Offline fadadio

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #376 on: April 07, 2013, 05:45:19 pm »
the only thing I found annoying is when people ask you to do the impossible like during last years kumoricon when I went as Beetlejuice, someone asked me to spin my head around like in the movie. As a cosplayer I get in character and do my thing 8) but please dont ask the impossible its sort of awkward.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #377 on: July 05, 2013, 10:04:15 pm »
I just thought of something that always bugs me. I hate meeting awesome people, and then forgetting to get contact info! I do this way too often!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #378 on: July 06, 2013, 10:39:51 pm »
I just thought of something that always bugs me. I hate meeting awesome people, and then forgetting to get contact info! I do this way too often!
This is very bugging and annoying to oneself :c I met quite a number of awesome people last year but only got 1 or 2 numbers...I also have names and usernames of people but i still havent looked them up and added them yet, which is sad because idk if ill meet them again ><
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3

Offline ldkstar

• Director of Infrastructure
  • Cabbit
    • Google+
« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2013, 10:33:43 am »
My top three

1. People who stand in the walkways.

2. People who can't form proper lines.

3. Creepers. I am guy, but it makes all male fans look bad when people run around trying to get upskirt shots, touch, or generally harass female cosplayers. Also makes hard to have platonic conversations with females at cons because they think everyone is a creeper(understandable given alot of the stuff that happens at cons)
2015-: Yojimbo Office Coordinator
2016-: Facilities Liaison

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #380 on: July 09, 2013, 11:04:27 am »
3. Creepers. I am guy, but it makes all male fans look bad when people run around trying to get upskirt shots, touch, or generally harass female cosplayers. Also makes hard to have platonic conversations with females at cons because they think everyone is a creeper(understandable given alot of the stuff that happens at cons)

This. Absolutely. I get so hung up on being misunderstood that often I won't even approach a female cosplayer because I don't want my well-intentioned compliments to be misconstrued as anything more than a gesture of respect and appreciation.

Ruining it for everyone, I say! *shakes fist*

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #381 on: July 09, 2013, 12:28:53 pm »
^ Agreed.  I once approached a young lady and asked her if she knew where Chan was, only because I had seen the two of them hanging out at one point; she called me a creeper because I was talking with her, and that's it.

Offline ldkstar

• Cabbit
    • Google+
« Reply #382 on: July 09, 2013, 03:01:06 pm »
^ Yes, it's really sad that it has come to this at cons. This will be my first Kumoricon, it will be interesting to see how many of my pet peeves I encounter.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #383 on: July 09, 2013, 04:05:54 pm »
I feel really bad about the guys always getting the 'creeper card' on them. I've experienced a few female creepers before, or just girls who think cosplay-is-consent. It's not. Don't touch me unless I know your or gave you permission.

A strange thing I encountered at my latest con was some guy actually looked at my badge to make sure he wasn't talking to a minor. That was both neat, and a little weird. We ended up in a conversation about how the badge colors should really be more vibrant for those standing more then 5ft away, and that cosplayers really should put their badges above their hips.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #384 on: July 09, 2013, 04:29:42 pm »

As a female con-goer since '09, I read stories on the Con-Creeper situations females have, but I have never have actually encountered a con-creep. And honestly, I keep my eye on a lookout for them. Must be because 99% of my cosplays are not revealing in any way, most being crossplay. The cosplay I have that is closest to that is probably my maid dress I wore for Konata last year, and I wore that for like 3 hours with only a few people recognizing me xP
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #385 on: July 09, 2013, 04:37:55 pm »

^ Would you like a fake con-creeper, just for the XP?   ;D   Just kidding, though your thought patterns on the "why" are good theories.  That's one of the few pros about females crossplaying (in my opinion), the costumes are a lot less likely to be revealing.  Though the argument of females characters dressing revealing anyways is somewhat valid, there are exceptions and loopholes.  For example, Yoko from Gurren Lagaan: both of her bikini outfits are DESIGNED to catch the attention of the horny audience, so wear her teacher's outfit instead.  (Besides, I like that more than the others because it's a respectable and realistic fashion statement).

There's a lot of creeper girls out there, some of them are just allowed to get away with it.  Maybe it's because they creep on guys, and guys are more prone to ignore or accept it, or the girls that get creeped on are more accepting of it, befriend them, etc., but I've known some females that hate it, but do nothing about it.

As for the badges, I think they're vibrant enough (at least from what I recall), but there are catches still.  The hips are one of them.  That's a rule already in place, but a lot of people opt not to abide by it, either out of ignorance of the rule or not caring about it.  It would also help if the colors were on both sides, since they have a tendency to flip around on you.  (They moon us!).

Offline ldkstar

• Cabbit
    • Google+
« Reply #386 on: July 09, 2013, 04:41:02 pm »
^ Consider yourself lucky. I am not to sure it has anything to do with costumes being more or less revealing, might just be luck of the draw. People who don't respect others, usually don't discriminate.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #387 on: July 09, 2013, 04:51:16 pm »
I think being revealing contributes heavily when it comes to male creepers who are actually creepers.  I could honestly see myself doing that (if I lacked morals), but also creeping on others going as characters that I just really liked.  When it comes to creeping (at least from the ones I've encountered and heard stories of), they do tend to have some sort of preference, and for the males it does tend to lean more towards revealing costumes than not.

Offline ldkstar

• Cabbit
    • Google+
« Reply #388 on: July 09, 2013, 05:14:30 pm »
I guess, I have always just viewed as a crime of opportunity, meaning people go for it when they think they can get away with it. Not much room to discriminate when you are simply waiting for the next opening.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #389 on: July 09, 2013, 07:02:26 pm »
^ Consider yourself lucky. I am not to sure it has anything to do with costumes being more or less revealing, might just be luck of the draw. People who don't respect others, usually don't discriminate.

This.

Also, it's worth note that whether someone is wearing a bikini or a nun's outfit, it makes no difference whatsoever in whether inappropriate behavior toward them will be tolerated. It will not, period.

Your mileage may vary on what constitutes creepy behavior... but if someone is breaking the rules (taking pictures after being asked not to, harassing you, etc - see https://www.kumoricon.org/policies), please talk to a staffer about it. No one's con experience should be ruined by having to deal with someone's lack of respect for others.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #390 on: July 10, 2013, 12:17:07 am »
but if someone is breaking the rules...please talk to a staffer about it. No one's con experience should be ruined by having to deal with someone's lack of respect for others.

*insert mass clapping*

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #391 on: July 11, 2013, 03:58:36 pm »
You guys...speak of con creepers...I had a terrible dream today...;-; (after getting my teeth filled, I fell asleep for a 4 hour nap when I got home.)

I was at a convention (no particular one, just a con.) and I was cosplaying a pink-haired character (I really don't know who, but she had pink hair and a pink dress and she was so cutesy or something.) and basically there was this 40 year old guy who started hanging out with me for a bit, then just started coming onto me. I told him clearly I was 15 and he said he was 40 but went with it. So I ran up the elevator to lose sight of him, looking for security or a staff member. After looking around for a while, I went back to the elevators and he was standing there waiting for me with roses (yeah kinda creepy much? >< ) so he saw me and ran after me and I was running away into an elevator, but then I found out it didn't work (the lights in it were off and the doors wouldnt close) so the guy tried creeping up onto me and pinned me against the wall in the elevator, but I somehow strongly pushed/punched him away and ran off into another elevator. Then I woke up.

So I guess what I can get out of this dream is to not always trust some random guy you meet at a con. In fact, DON'T. Even if they seem nice and cool.

And to the 20-40 year old guys out there, don't come onto a girl if shes 15. Or 16. Or, actually, just anyone 12-21 years old. Maybe just don't come onto anyone, especially if they're uncomfortable with it.
Good News and Bad News.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #392 on: July 11, 2013, 04:30:47 pm »
Yeah my worst thing is plain old bad touching, and not specifically a creeper touching.
For instance (not at con but a con thing) a friend once ran up to me from behind and tackle hugged me, now I had I been positioned differently I seriously could have punched her, not on purpose, I would have felt bad but because it was from behind me, scared me and put me into flight or fight mode.

One thing to remember is everyone has personal issues, EVERYONE. Thinking "hey I am at a con and people can do (hug grope tackle etc just because they are at a con, if they don't like it they shouldn't be at a con" kinda like the implied consent BS

I my self was attacked from behind and beat up in middle school and between that and something else, I can almost get a little ptsd-ish, nothing terrible but say I don't see some one and they touch grab, back of my neck/blind spot. 

Once at con when stuffing bags down stairs, some guy decided he needed to get past me by grabing me to push/move(?) move me out of the way, I reacted like a cat, hands let go when clawed.  I don't feel bad about that.

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #393 on: July 12, 2013, 12:17:54 am »
^ I think I remember hearing you say that once before...  It might have been someone else though, too...  Either way, rear-angled glomps (at least the surprise versions) should NEVER be done, and there's no logical excuse for thinking it's okay.  Sneaking up to startle someone is one thing, but trying to do something that could easily inflict harm is another.

And to the 20-40 year old guys out there, don't come onto a girl if shes 15. Or 16. Or, actually, just anyone 12-21 years old. Maybe just don't come onto anyone, especially if they're uncomfortable with it.

Honestly, I'd be a little bothered if they weren't uncomfortable with it.  You'd think that with today's constant reminders of real life creepy old men doing "things" with teenage girls because they were "okay" with it at first, there'd be less young ladies putting themselves in those situations.  Yet, it keeps happening, for different reasons.

But then there's the issue of "coming on" to someone.  Often times, there will be people who think that someone is hitting on them, when they're just trying to strike up a conversation.

Offline ldkstar

• Cabbit
    • Google+
« Reply #394 on: July 12, 2013, 09:38:19 am »
Male/female interactions should be a choice on this survey. They are truly the most annoying things at a con. I am not talking about hooking up with anyone either. Simply striking up a conversation with someone who looks cool, or likes the same series as you seems to be dangerous as well. It seems that, unless she is a friend you came with, it would be hard to talk to someone. I am not advocating that people should be able to harass and bother people, just wish there were more opportunities for conversation.

I would really like more perspective from female con-goers.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #395 on: July 12, 2013, 04:17:03 pm »
Conversations are a touchy subject, honestly. For me, since I'm shy, I get even more shy and embarassed when someone approaches me just to talk. Nevermind if I even have the courage to go up to someone and talk.

A lot of my reasoning (and probably other people's) is that the person I would like to talk to either is: a) too far away from where I am; b) going in a different direction; c) they look busy.

That doesn't mean I'm not happy to meet and talk to people, but I just might turn beet red and lose my words.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline ldkstar

• Cabbit
    • Google+
« Reply #396 on: July 12, 2013, 10:23:37 pm »
^ This is completely random, but I love your avatar

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #397 on: July 15, 2013, 02:52:49 am »
Male/female interactions should be a choice on this survey. They are truly the most annoying things at a con. I am not talking about hooking up with anyone either. Simply striking up a conversation with someone who looks cool, or likes the same series as you seems to be dangerous as well. It seems that, unless she is a friend you came with, it would be hard to talk to someone. I am not advocating that people should be able to harass and bother people, just wish there were more opportunities for conversation.

I would really like more perspective from female con-goers.

I am perfectly alright with people striking up a conversation with me.  Now, they shouldn't be touching me without my permission.   However, everyone I've come in contact with has asked or hesitated like they were making sure it was ok.  While I am still cautious, I still enjoy meeting people who have similar interests as me.  I'm not one to get out much being a night person, allergic to the sun (yes, really), not a bar person, not a sports person and, well, I think you get the idea.  It's just nice if someone strikes up a conversation about a common interests...just looking for friends.

Offline xXthatcrazychickXx

• Cabbit
« Reply #398 on: May 03, 2014, 12:58:54 am »
For me? Personally? All of the minors that have no manners. I don't mind the ones that have them, but all the bloody green badges with absolutely no manners to speak of. They think that because they are under the age of 18, they entitled to do whatever they want. I had three photos ruined by greenbadges. I was up on the fish, late at night, and they all decided to try and climb and get up there too. While the person was trying to take the picture. And I asked them three times to get down, and they just asked me who I thought I was, and why I thought that I had the right to tell them what to do.

There went that photo op. I barely get pictures taken of me at con as is, even when I do have a really good cosplay.

Also, that's another thing that annoys me. I know that people are looking for certain cosplayers, but do you know how much it picks up someones day to be asked to have a picture taken of them? It's like someone shoved your own personal sunbeam into a persons heart. It's a beautiful feeling. Especially if they are wearing a nice outfit, but aren't a character from a series. People, stop to actually think that not just the 'popular' cosplays need pictures taken. Even if you don't KNOW a series, perhaps stopping to ask for their picture would actually really help their day out.

I ended up sitting in the park, on saturday night, just before all the minors were kicked out. I was sitting with a group of nearly twenty cosplayers, tucked away in the park, who had never had their picture taken the whole convention.

So i guess what annoys me most is that people think they are all that at conventions, and don't stop to consider other peoples feelings.
I know this is an old post, but I just want to thank you for the information. I didn't know that cosplayers liked to have their picture taken (Other than at photo shoots). So thank you, I will take lots of pictures if I can!  :)

Offline BrokenPsyche

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #399 on: June 05, 2014, 10:39:29 pm »
Ugh I hate how some people just tackle you and hug you without permission and invade your personal space out of nowhere. And they think it's okay to touch your boobs and **** because it's con.
I have been sexually assaulted and harassed so many times at con both playfully and forcefully. I was the one who got banned one year for punching someone because they molested me. I got banned. ME. The **** victim.
But that's really what I hate the most.

Luckily I'll have a sword with me (a real one but rather dull) so I'll be safe I suppose.
Everyone, if anyone touches you without your permission or in a way that is violating or uncomfortable, speak up. Better yet come to me I'll kick their ass for you.