Author Topic: Doctor Who Fandom: Tiptoe Through the TARDIS  (Read 4775 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Doctor Who Fandom: Tiptoe Through the TARDIS
« on: September 06, 2011, 02:47:18 am »
Truly a highlight of not just my 9 Kumoricons, but my entire life. Thank you. I love you all. Starting with "The Katies" and Karen & whomever volunteered their laptop & Nance & all the other photographers. Definitely all those who gave their unforgettable "impression" performances '
(my personal faves: everything Captain Jack, plus the full speech from The Pandoricon Opens)
and extraordinary cosplays
(my personal faves: the legacy 6 suit; the home-made TARDIS dress of which I totally want to buy a duplicate; and the impeccable homemade props & garb on the mother-daughter River-Amy team).  We even had a DWMV. I'd love to see more of those, and have some Trock sing-alongs. Props to those who told their legacy stories, and jokes, and everything else. Infinite gratitude for all of you singing along with my Time Lord Time Warp. We literally had over 100 people more than I expected....And that didn't count those who saw the crowd and left....so we probably would've reached about ...at least 160-170, just counting those I've personally heard lament being unable to enter our room. Wow.

Please recount your personal highlights here, or say what you'd like to have us do differently next year, or what you wish you'd said at our open mic. Please post here photos, audio/video, fanfics, filks, fan art, (yes, I want a copy of that one that circulated....you know who you are ;) ).

Please add me (Ellen Klowden) on facebook to be added to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS facebook group. Or PM me here....

Our next Tiptoe will be at OryCon's Creation Station -- where we also hold workshops on Making Your Own Sonic Screwdriver!  (This panel was created by Creation Station for OryCon, then spread to MEW Con, now Kumoricon -- at which we had nearly double the number of attendees at the two prior cons combined. You all (T)Rock!)

"Rose, before I go, I just want to tell you: You were fanTAStic. Absolutely fanTAStic. And d'you know what? So was I...."     Next year, I want a sexy 9 cosplayer or crossplayer to get the audience to swoon and sigh with that line as our parting moment. Anyone?

PS To the 15 or so of you who have already added me & been added to our fb group: Nance has said she will post her photos tomorrow, but please, if you have photos, videos, audio, fanworks, or anything else, go ahead and post! Here, our facebook group, or your own sites, but with links to those here & on fb. Thanks and love through all your regenerations!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:23:05 am by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
Re: Doctor Who Fandom: Tiptoe Through the TARDIS
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 08:40:16 am »
I was kinda expecting for more of a "Doctor Who universe retrospective" at the panel, maybe featuring some of the interconnections between the various shows and small plot-lines that maybe people have missed throughout the episodes. A little more organization could go a long way.

Overall though, it was fun and getting a larger room next year will definitely help! :D
--Chris ^_^

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 09:28:59 am »
Thank you so much for being there, and for your suggestions.
I hadn't met one of my copanelists yet irl, and we got, as you saw, oh, literally, a HUNDRED more people there, than we expected :D
So we gave it our best improv :D.

With a crowd that size and that full of glee and squee, we felt it made the most sense to just basically turn the show over to the audience. We had billed it, after all, as a fandom celebration.

Yet I agree. Personally I have seen every ep but the most recent three of new-Who with 9, 10, and 11, but only 3 or 4 serials of 1, 1 serial of 4, read one comic of 2, and heard one audiobook of 3, and seen only Time Crash of 5. So I haven't yet experienced any 6, 7, or 8. Though I sure do aim to immerse between now and next year's panel! Whether from a copanelist or an audience member, I totally agree that talking about cross-serial and cross-doctor threads would be ideal. I also would like to focus on various companions, and I had a bunch of trivia questions I didn't get to....

OOH! You must be the Chris who Jaki told me had said we should move to Main Events! Thanks for that! I doubt there's space in the schedule, but perhaps at least downstairs in the larger Panel 1 (though we'll have to be carefully scheduled to be able to hear each other).

Another time-saver for next year will be being set up ahead of time with laptop, internet password, computer, and ideally, speakers that connect to the projector or laptop.

Having microphone & speakers was a big help, but for next year, I'd like at least one additional mic, with a long cord, that could be passed around the audience, in addition to having folks come to the front.

Any other ideas? Oh, and are you on facebook? Be sure to add me and join Tiptoe Through the TARDIS!

Love,
Rem
aka
Ellen Klowden.
Having
I was kinda expecting for more of a "Doctor Who universe retrospective" at the panel, maybe featuring some of the interconnections between the various shows and small plot-lines that maybe people have missed throughout the episodes. A little more organization could go a long way.

Overall though, it was fun and getting a larger room next year will definitely help! :D
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 12:23:30 pm »
Just a quick note: The Time Travelers' Marketplace and Ball will be going on in Hillsboro on November 12th. KATU is reporting that the TARDIS (it is an abbreviation after all) will be there for photo-ops and the theme is "Time Travelers by the Sea."

http://www.timetravelersball.com/
KATU Article: http://hillsboro.katu.com/news/events/442744-mark-your-calendar-time-travelers-marketplace-ball
--Chris ^_^

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 04:18:44 pm »
Wow. Too bad that's not at the Doubletree Lloyd Center, where I'll be running a Creation Station for OryCon that whole weekend! Including our next Tiptoe Through the TARDIS (Friday, 11/11, after a Make Your Own Sonic Screwdriver!). I'm pretty sure those respectively are 7pm-8pm and 8pm-10pm.

Offline writingfast

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:28:25 pm »
As the Sixth Doctor, I would like to say that I was thrilled to have a Doctor Who panel. So many years of Kumoricon I had worn that outfit and only had so many people know who I was. To walk into a room and instantly be recognized was amazing. And to see so many other outfits (especially from the classic Doctors) made me feel all warm and tingly in my toes.

Or that could be some radiation. Hm... ;)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:41:43 pm »
As the Sixth Doctor, I would like to say that I was thrilled to have a Doctor Who panel. So many years of Kumoricon I had worn that outfit and only had so many people know who I was. To walk into a room and instantly be recognized was amazing. And to see so many other outfits (especially from the classic Doctors) made me feel all warm and tingly in my toes.

Awesome. So glad you were there, and that you had fun. Are you joining us at OryCon?
Friday, 11/11/11, 8pm-10pm we have another Doctor Who Fandom Celebration (aka Tiptoe Through the TARDIS).

We also have that same day from 7pm-8pm, Make Your Own Sonic Screwdriver.
(low-budget, but still cool).

Doubletree Lloyd Center, Portland --where KC was 2005 and 2008.

Who all things they might join us?

Love, Rem.

Offline writingfast

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 08:52:49 pm »

Awesome. So glad you were there, and that you had fun. Are you joining us at OryCon?
Friday, 11/11/11, 8pm-10pm we have another Doctor Who Fandom Celebration (aka Tiptoe Through the TARDIS).

We also have that same day from 7pm-8pm, Make Your Own Sonic Screwdriver.
(low-budget, but still cool).

Doubletree Lloyd Center, Portland --where KC was 2005 and 2008.

Who all things they might join us?

Love, Rem.
I want to go, but with the economy Kumoricon was the only convention I could pay for this year. :(

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 10:07:23 pm »

I want to go, but with the economy Kumoricon was the only convention I could pay for this year. :(

I totally hear that.

There are day passes that are like $25, but that's still a lot, to me, anyway....

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 10:38:30 pm »
Our OryCon panel was a lot of fun. Thanks to Karen Black, Robert Plamondon, Katie Turner and Caitlin Menzies for being copanelists, and thanks to Drew, Robert, Michi, and everyone else from KC who came to make it fanTAStic! We had multiple TARDIS cosplayers, a 10, an 11, a Rory, a 3, and even a Dalek! We had a Make Your Own Sonic Screwdriver panel, and gave awards for the best homemade sonic screwdrivers as well. Attendees showed their fanvids, and we watched SuperWho vids (Supernatural/Doctor Who crossovers). We played show & tell with our Whovian memorabilia & debated our favorite and least favorite Doctors & Companions. After some trivia and prize awarding, and much giggling, we capped our first 2 hours with the David Tennant wrap party homage to The Proclaimers' 500 Miles, and then made our own mini fanvid to add to a compilation homage to that vid (how meta of us). Then we stayed another hour to show other vids, including The Curse of Fatal Death (I believe; I had to leave to run another panel). Due to our huge turnout at Kumoricon, OryCon had let us be in a much bigger room, and, though we didn't have people standing everywhere, we did fill the seats, and we're definitely looking forward to next year at both cons!

Much love.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 03:52:39 pm »
Just found this:
http://www.cabletv.com/doctor-who-timeline
Infographic showing all Doctors from 1st episode in '63 to most recent episode.  How many episodes have YOU seen? (and in their FIRST RUNNING rather than repeat). Me: probably starting around episode 41 or so....  :D

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 02:52:11 pm »
Wow, awesome!
I've seen perhaps 8 with the first Doctor, 1 each with the 2nd and 3rd, a couple serials with the 4th, 1 with the 5th. None yet of 6th, 7th, 8th. Every ep of NewWho. All of s1 of Torchwood, s2 of TW through the ep, "Adam," none of s3, 1st 2 eps of s4. None of K-9. Pilot of Sarah Jane Adventures.

BTW: Katie Turner, Katie Sargent, and I will be applying to host this panel again. Our form should be in relatively soon. :)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 03:21:10 pm »
I did turn in our form a little over a week ago, and we should be hearing back relatively soon, in terms of confirmation that it was received; but it is likely to be the end of June, before we hear back confirmation that we are on the schedule, and where and when. Stay tuned :)

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 05:32:31 pm »
>.> We're trying to get my sister to cosplay as 9.  I'll definitely be coming as 10, though. >3

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 09:31:52 am »
>.> We're trying to get my sister to cosplay as 9.  I'll definitely be coming as 10, though. >3

That is (say it with me, 9) fanTAStic!

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 08:46:08 pm »
I completed my 10th doctor cosplay, today. I'm really happy with it (we had to completely re-dye the coat from green to brown, so I feel kind of accomplished that we managed it). I'm really looking forward to coming to your panel! I'll bring my sonic screwdriver!

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 04:41:14 pm »
That is fanTAStic!
Now we just need to hear confirmation from Panels Staff that we got accepted!