Author Topic: 2011 Review thread  (Read 37539 times)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2011 Review thread
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2011, 08:19:38 pm »
One way that the fanfic contest could become more viable would be if there were a dedicated staff position for Fanfic Contest Coordinator, separate from the task of coordinating fanfic panels, and if the Fanfic Contest Coordinator staff hours could be almost entirely pre-con work.

Fanfic Coordinator is a dedicated staff position... she just happened to also run panels at con.

Yes, thank you, I think it is wonderful that there is still a Fanfic Coordinator position (and a Fan Art one, if I recall correctly). What I was suggesting was that, if the Fanfic Coordinator position, as currently defined, includes coordinating both the contest *and* all the fanfic panels, that it might be helpful if those were two separate jobs held by two separate individuals, one to focus on panels, one to focus on the contest. Simply because each of those is a lot of work, and to help allocate time to recruiting both more authors, and more voters for the online portion of the contest, which I would like to see become more widely utilized by forumgoers.

The position is for running the contest.... she just happened to also run panels at con.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2011, 01:55:39 am »
I have to give major props to the Hilton staff, who saved me from great emotional distress.

I ended up staying at a small Hotel in Portland this year, because it was so much cheaper. Before I left my town I looked up directions on how to get everywhere by bus/MAX on Google Maps. Everything worked out fine, except for the directions from my hotel to Kumoricon, which told me to take the 6 to Jantzen Beach, AND WALK ACROSS THE FREAKING BRIDGE OF CERTAIN DEATH. D: Every time a semi went by, I felt like I was going to be blown over the railing. Anyway, I asked a guy at the front desk if there was a way to bus across the bridge, and he handed me this lovely printout which told me how to get back without dying. ;w;

I love you, front desk man. <3

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2011, 09:06:41 am »

The position is for running the contest.... she just happened to also run panels at con.

Thank you for your time and clarification. What I initially thought you meant was "also coordinated all the fanfic panels at con," but I get now that you meant "also was herself a panelist at con". The reason I thought she was also coordinating all the fanfic panels at con was that when FilkAeris started the thread about how Fanfic Bedtime Stories wasn't on the forums, Chi-Chan posted something along the lines that 'we had thought that if someone wanted to run it, they would've turned in a panel form', and I read that as she meant would've turned in the panel form to her as the Fanfic Coordinator. Obviously it all turned out great; it was the most fun and best attended Fanfic Bedtime Stories I've experienced since 2005, and full of almost entirely new faces!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:07:38 am by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2011, 02:55:27 pm »
Maybe next year, a quick map of the food options in the surrounding environs would be nice, for those without a smartphone that looks up restaurants for them?

The map was in the program book, and the website. It did not make it into the pocket guide this time, though, because we reduced the page count (it has to be a multiple of 8) so we opted to squeeze both hotel maps onto the one remaining page available.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2011, 10:14:13 pm »
The Hotel
Kudos: The staff was super friendly at the  Hilton unlike the down town Portland  Hilton . Another  good thing was how the convention spaces were off to the side leaving the lobby and bar was quiet and free from the mass attendees sitting anywhere in the hotel lobby.  The hotel staff went  out of their way to make us welcomed compared to the attitude we got from  the Hilton in Portland.
I can’t say much about the Red Lion, a bit dumpy.

Brickbats: I felt the dealers den and the artist alley is too cramped. It dissuaded me from  shopping at the artist alley.

Brickbats: I mentioned the problem lack of outside  food choices. Looking at other comments I hate to say see I told you so.  I say there were only thee good caliber restaurants in walking distance and perhaps both hotels.  Being a food snob (only at dinner) I almost considered driving back to downtown  Portland.   Please do tell me food was available  a la subway or some sap at the farmers market. We will just have to disagree what is the definition of available food. While the walk between the Red Lion  during the day was reasonable  I was very nervous at night, ditto going back to my truck. There  were to many dark spots  lat let an opportunity for a snatch and run robbery.  Especially when caring my laptop.

Panels and events:

Kudos: Enough to keep me busy many  were quite interesting.  I also love the big side screens in the main events room. I made it easy.

Brickbats:  Anime Hunters, just a minor one. I guess I had very high  expectations  especially seeing long lines and the enthusiasm most fans show for the  Anime  Hunters. It was like “that’s all to it?”   It is just not my taste.

Kudos to registration, I was ready for the 2+ hour death march for registration, it took only 5 minutes on Friday. Great job.  

Brickbats: to cosplay contest staff for giving in to youthful indiscretions by allowing vote chair as audience choice. The votes should be discarded.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:16:03 pm by acton »

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2011, 11:27:47 pm »
I have a completely different suggestion as far as the "Where should the Dealer's Hall be?" debate.

I propose that we move Tabletop Gaming to the Centennial Center (2011 Dealer's Hall location), Artists Alley to the Parking Garage, and Dealer's Hall to the place where the Artists Alley/Tabletop Gaming was this year.

Also, I suggest that we either get rid of the Manga Library for next year, or move it to a to-be-decided location. Where? I'm not quite sure. But to be honest, I don't really know of anyone who actually goes in there on a regular basis. I popped in briefly this year, and last, and it was tumbleweed country both times. Besides, lots of panels that people where excited about had to be canceled this year because of space, why not sacrifice the Manga Library so we can have a little bit bigger of a Dealer's Hall?

If we didn't move/get rid of the Manga Library, the proposed Dealer's Hall location would block off access to the Library, causing difficulties with room capacity. However, with the Manga Library empty, we could put one of the bigger booths, like Uwajimaya, or maybe two of the smaller booths (insert suggestions here) in there. I noticed how a lot of people were complaining about how Uwajimaya shoppers blocked traffic with their sheer numbers. However, being put in an out of the way area would solve these issues.

And that's my two cents.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:11:46 am by thesirensings »

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2011, 12:07:45 am »
I have to disagree, keep the manga library. It is the only place for a quiet sit down and a read.

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2011, 12:13:16 am »
Like I said, we could move it, I'm just not sure where it would go. There's got to be somewhere else we could squeeze it in.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2011, 12:17:12 am »
I really disagree moving the Artist's Alley. Mainly because they really need good light, and moving to the parking garage again like in 2007 would not exactly be a step-up in lighting or A/C. Though trading where the tabletop and Dealer's are might be a good idea.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2011, 12:23:13 am »
I only suggested moving the Artist's Alley because just switching Dealer's Hall and Gaming would result in a smaller Dealer's Hall. That, and while con staff has pretty much said that moving Dealer's Hall to Parking is not gonna happen, moving Artist's Alley is still a possibility. It would be awesome the have Dealer's Hall and Artist's Alley right next to each other, but the only place big enough (besides the Parking Garage) is Main Events, and there's no way that's gonna happen (thank god).

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2011, 12:39:56 am »
From what I read earlier, they can't move what's in the parking garage without having to move 3 other things.
However, if there's room for the tabletop gaming and the artist's alley in where the Dealer's was, and let the Dealer's take up both sections, that might work easier. Most times I saw the bunches of tables for Tabletop they were vacant minus a few crowds just chilling at them.
Kumori'15

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2011, 01:26:01 am »
Looking at the maps, there appears to be a section of the garage that wasn't really being used for anything. I didn't get a good look at it, so I don't know if it wasn't used because it was unusable, or if they decided to try and put as much stuff above ground as possible.

If it was the second option, Artist's Alley could maybe be put there.

However, moving Artist's Alley and Tabletop Gaming to where Dealer's was could also work. I think everything as it was this year could fit in there if we removed a table or two. The thing is, I know that a lot of people also wanted a bigger Artist's Alley, and moving it there doesn't really solve that problem.

Eh, I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2011, 01:32:12 am »
Assuming nothing is moved, then we still wouldn't have more booths in the artist's alley. I really didn't see space for anymore since it was pretty crowded this year. Maybe if a few are at the end of the artist's row, but then they'll be boxes and unable to get out for food, bathroom, fire alarm... :/
Kumori'15

Offline Habergeist

• Oni
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2011, 10:59:43 am »
Kumoricon 2011

Pros:  well-run system overall; no long lines...  I didn't pre-reg and had to stand in line less than two hours to get my weekend tickets.

Cons: panels were a bit dull, anime viewing rooms were too cold most of the time, not enough for older fans.  Also, too long to wait until next year!

Fortunately, MEWcon is coming up at the end of the year.
"You don't have a soul.  You are a soul.  You have a body."

--C.S. Lewis

Offline SpaceCubaLikesConan

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Tumblr
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2011, 11:16:33 am »
Kumoricon 2011

Pros:  well-run system overall; no long lines...  I didn't pre-reg and had to stand in line less than two hours to get my weekend tickets.

Cons: panels were a bit dull, anime viewing rooms were too cold most of the time, not enough for older fans.  Also, too long to wait until next year!

Fortunately, MEWcon is coming up at the end of the year.

the MEWcon staff said there isn't going to be a MEWcon this year D:
2014 line-up:

Robin- Young Justice
Sailor Vulcan - Sailor Moon/Star Trek crack crossover
Wiccan - Young Avengers
Allison Argent - Teen Wolf

Cons:
-Kumoricon
- BITEcon

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2011, 05:38:11 pm »
I say there were only thee good caliber restaurants in walking distance and perhaps both hotels.

I'm sorry, but I'd have to disagree with you completely there.  There's: Thai Orchid, Little Italy's Tratorria, Who Song & Larry's, Jerusalem Cafe, O'Shansky's, Tiger's Garden, Tommy O's, Hula Boy, and Dublin Down.  These are just the ones that I've eaten at, but I know that there's a few others that'd probably be good, too.  Trust me, you had plenty of options.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2011, 07:30:45 pm »
I say there were only thee good caliber restaurants in walking distance and perhaps both hotels.

I'm sorry, but I'd have to disagree with you completely there.  There's: Thai Orchid, Little Italy's Tratorria, Who Song & Larry's, Jerusalem Cafe, O'Shansky's, Tiger's Garden, Tommy O's, Hula Boy, and Dublin Down.  These are just the ones that I've eaten at, but I know that there's a few others that'd probably be good, too.  Trust me, you had plenty of options.

I did enjoy the Thai restaurant across the park and Joe's crab shack but for local restaurants I feel there no where close to caliber what is available in Portland. I might have missed many because they look like greasy spoons or biker bars that scream avoid at all cost.  A lot of times be it Mewcon or Kumoricon I just drove out to  East Vancouver or the strip mall off Highway 30.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:35:35 pm by acton »

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2011, 08:12:47 pm »
Looking at the maps, there appears to be a section of the garage that wasn't really being used for anything. I didn't get a good look at it, so I don't know if it wasn't used because it was unusable, or if they decided to try and put as much stuff above ground as possible.

If it was the second option, Artist's Alley could maybe be put there.

However, moving Artist's Alley and Tabletop Gaming to where Dealer's was could also work. I think everything as it was this year could fit in there if we removed a table or two. The thing is, I know that a lot of people also wanted a bigger Artist's Alley, and moving it there doesn't really solve that problem.

Eh, I guess we'll just have to see what happens.

The unused space in the rear of the garage was actually being used for storage for the convention.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2011, 10:17:18 pm »
Pro for the con:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzV4PC7l2Ak (1:45 is when it gets really really good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s60zUG7Ulk4&NR=1 Here is one that is easier to hear (right around 4 minutes it gets funny)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:25:29 pm by nikkiolie »

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2011, 01:08:23 pm »
not enough for older fans

a couple of panelists and I are teaming up to tackle that issue :D   keep your eyes peeled!

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2011, 09:42:17 pm »

a couple of panelists and I are teaming up to tackle that issue :D   keep your eyes peeled!

More than the Otaku over (relatively speaking) 30 panel (which I ran ) would be nice. One guy after the panel suggested a panel  for older cosplayers. Since I do not have a clue about cosplay I say it would be nice somebody take this on. Do contact me I would like to work with you on this and other thins you mignt have in mind.

Offline ScrumYummy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2011, 01:10:33 pm »

More than the Otaku over (relatively speaking) 30 panel (which I ran ) would be nice. One guy after the panel suggested a panel  for older cosplayers. Since I do not have a clue about cosplay I say it would be nice somebody take this on. Do contact me I would like to work with you on this and other thins you mignt have in mind.

EXCELLENT! I'm excited to have more people on board for the cause! Time to take this convo to PM <3

If anyone else is interested in getting in on this, please PM me (so that we don't take over the review thread, lol).

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2011, 06:54:09 pm »
The dealers space was too small. Thats the only thing i didnt like. Everything else was amazingly organized. I was very impressed. Didnt make it down to the gaming place, but for sure next year.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2011, 07:46:33 pm »

I'm sorry, but I'd have to disagree with you completely there.  There's: Thai Orchid, Little Italy's Tratorria, Who Song & Larry's, Jerusalem Cafe, O'Shansky's, Tiger's Garden, Tommy O's, Hula Boy, and Dublin Down.  These are just the ones that I've eaten at, but I know that there's a few others that'd probably be good, too.  Trust me, you had plenty of options.

I did enjoy the Thai restaurant across the park and Joe's crab shack but for local restaurants I feel there no where close to caliber what is available in Portland. I might have missed many because they look like greasy spoons or biker bars that scream avoid at all cost.  A lot of times be it Mewcon or Kumoricon I just drove out to  East Vancouver or the strip mall off Highway 30.

I think a big part of that is that the buildings are relatively old and most of the companies in the area don't have the financing to do any serious re-construction.  But trust me on this, all of the ones I've listed are places that I've eaten at and enjoy thoroughly.  The one major weakness to the majority of them, though, is that they're not easy on your wallet some times.  However, there is a McDonald's, Burgerville, and Taco Time withing a quick trip up on of the bus lines if people were interested.  I'm hoping that next year's con book will be more informative than this year's was.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh