Author Topic: VIP line skipping? -Complaint  (Read 5062 times)

Offline Mitasco

• Oni
VIP line skipping? -Complaint
« on: September 04, 2011, 12:53:59 am »
Right, so, sorry if this isn't the right forum or place to put this, but I couldn't find a rant and rave/feedback post up yet.

I have a VIP pass, as does my friend. That entitles us to skip the lines and go right to the front, correct? Along with priority seating? When we went to the opening ceremony, although there wasn't a line seperately for VIPs, we were given the first few rows- the ones with blue covers on the back.

I can understand not having these blue covers on some of the smaller events, but the lack of VIP lines and the lack of VIP treatment overall has been disappointing.

When my friend and I headed to the Anime Hunters panel in Discovery Room B/C around fifteen minutes before it started, to make sure we had the right room, we saw that there was no line and that people had already been seated. Although I am hesitant to use the word 'seated', as seemed to be that people had just let themselves in, or that they had stayed there from the previous panel, since there didn't seem to be any staff around other than the ones actually setting up the panel. (Which, ah, is another story. The hour long wait for a simple cable isn't part of this feedback) We luckily managed to find a few seats front row, which still surprises me.

The next panel, Scenes From a Hat, was a few hours later, in the Oak room. We literally had nothing to do for around an hour beforehand, so we decided to hang out by the door. The line started forming to one side of the door, and, wary from the lack of VIP priority seating in the previous panel, we decided to set up camp by the other side of the door. Soon enough, the host finished setting up, and then opened the doors. But that was just that- she just opened the doors. When we pointed her attention to our VIP passes, she did say that we were to go in beforehand, but I doubt we would have been able to had we not been standing right there.

Next was Whose Line is it Anyway? in, again, Discovery Room B/C. We had to rush down to that panel, since the previous one understandably ran a tad long. We still got there a good ten minutes beforehand, and, once again, people were already inside. We were planning on standing/sitting by the wall due to the lack of good seats, but someone gave us one of his seats and moved forward a few rows to an empty one. Once again, we were lucky.

Finally, we were planning on heading to the rave, but last night's pre-party sort of destroyed my shins, so we chose to give them a rest. With the handy Kumoricon guide app(Which I absolutely love and am so happy and glad that it's here), we saw that the Slightly Anime Dating Game in, one more time, Discovery Room B/C, was happening in about twenty minutes. We went back to see, for once, a line. It seemed to be a bit chaotic, with a few staff/volunteers running around, but at least it was there.

Hope wasn't completely found, however. We got the attention of one staff who was directing the lines, showed him our VIP passes, and said, "VIPs are supposed to be at the front of the line, right?". He said that he didn't know, and pointed toward the front of the line and told us to go ask someone up there. We came up to the staff member closest to the doors, and, once he was finished with what he was doing, we got his attention and said to him the same thing. He told us to just go inside and ask there. Once inside, we had no idea who to ask, and no reason to just keep volleying from staff member to staff member, so we just took our seats; in the third row by the middle/alley, since the higher up rows were too far to the sides to our liking.

We did very much enjoy the panels we attended, so much that my face is still flushed from laughing, but the VIP treatment is very disappointing. Turns out that my dad, who is also VIP, attended Whose Line is it Anyway and the Slightly Anime Dating Game(who knew? His seats were so far from ours that we never saw him), and wasn't treated as he should have been either and faced the same disappointments as we did.

I sincerely hope that this is not how the following days will commence.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Re: VIP line skipping? -Complaint
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 01:35:47 pm »
Thank you for posting the full details here so we can track down the problems.  I heard the issue from another Director last night, but with all this I can really figure things out.  Room camping is not allowed at this con, but it's not something we've monitored because it has not been a problem in the past.  I've talked to Prog and Ops and they are informing their staff of the problem and making sure they know out policies.  This is important both for VIPs and also regular attendees. 

I've had a sample VIP badge made, and Logistics is going around trying to ensure that every Yoji can correctly identify the badge and knows what it means.  So, hopefully, that should deal with the issue for the rest of the weekend.  Also, Prog has given me information on which panels will be most popular tonight, and currently we do have maids scheduled to be at all of them. 

I am very sorry with what's happened so far and hope that I have managed to clear things up.
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:07:56 am »
I would suggest that maybe in the future, specific events are marked on the schedule/con-book designating them as having VIP access and then blocking out the appropriate number of chairs for those events. This way if people do camp a room, they still won't affect those with VIP privileges.
--Chris ^_^

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:29:12 pm »
As VIP manager I apologize for the problems with seating you had.  I heard about it as it was being worked on, I wish you had e-mailed me.
  Emptying rooms between events was an issue I ran into a bit, since, even when announcements are made to empty the room, people don't seem to think it applies to them.

I hope it did not come up again, and steps will be taken to address this issue for next years convention as well.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:37:06 pm »
Right, so, sorry if this isn't the right forum or place to put this, but I couldn't find a rant and rave/feedback post up yet.

I have a VIP pass, as does my friend. That entitles us to skip the lines and go right to the front, correct? Along with priority seating? When we went to the opening ceremony, although there wasn't a line seperately for VIPs, we were given the first few rows- the ones with blue covers on the back.

I can understand not having these blue covers on some of the smaller events, but the lack of VIP lines and the lack of VIP treatment overall has been disappointing.

When my friend and I headed to the Anime Hunters panel in Discovery Room B/C around fifteen minutes before it started, to make sure we had the right room, we saw that there was no line and that people had already been seated. Although I am hesitant to use the word 'seated', as seemed to be that people had just let themselves in, or that they had stayed there from the previous panel, since there didn't seem to be any staff around other than the ones actually setting up the panel. (Which, ah, is another story. The hour long wait for a simple cable isn't part of this feedback) We luckily managed to find a few seats front row, which still surprises me

The next panel, Scenes From a Hat, was a few hours later, in the Oak room. We literally had nothing to do for around an hour beforehand, so we decided to hang out by the door. The line started forming to one side of the door, and, wary from the lack of VIP priority seating in the previous panel, we decided to set up camp by the other side of the door. Soon enough, the host finished setting up, and then opened the doors. But that was just that- she just opened the doors. When we pointed her attention to our VIP passes, she did say that we were to go in beforehand, but I doubt we would have been able to had we not been standing right there.

Next was Whose Line is it Anyway? in, again, Discovery Room B/C. We had to rush down to that panel, since the previous one understandably ran a tad long. We still got there a good ten minutes beforehand, and, once again, people were already inside. We were planning on standing/sitting by the wall due to the lack of good seats, but someone gave us one of his seats and moved forward a few rows to an empty one. Once again, we were lucky.

Finally, we were planning on heading to the rave, but last night's pre-party sort of destroyed my shins, so we chose to give them a rest. With the handy Kumoricon guide app(Which I absolutely love and am so happy and glad that it's here), we saw that the Slightly Anime Dating Game in, one more time, Discovery Room B/C, was happening in about twenty minutes. We went back to see, for once, a line. It seemed to be a bit chaotic, with a few staff/volunteers running around, but at least it was there.

Hope wasn't completely found, however. We got the attention of one staff who was directing the lines, showed him our VIP passes, and said, "VIPs are supposed to be at the front of the line, right?". He said that he didn't know, and pointed toward the front of the line and told us to go ask someone up there. We came up to the staff member closest to the doors, and, once he was finished with what he was doing, we got his attention and said to him the same thing. He told us to just go inside and ask there. Once inside, we had no idea who to ask, and no reason to just keep volleying from staff member to staff member, so we just took our seats; in the third row by the middle/alley, since the higher up rows were too far to the sides to our liking.

We did very much enjoy the panels we attended, so much that my face is still flushed from laughing, but the VIP treatment is very disappointing. Turns out that my dad, who is also VIP, attended Whose Line is it Anyway and the Slightly Anime Dating Game(who knew? His seats were so far from ours that we never saw him), and wasn't treated as he should have been either and faced the same disappointments as we did.

I sincerely hope that this is not how the following days will commence.

Everyone that was already inside the "Whose line is it anyways" panel were ALL cast members or helping set the panel up. I helped Jon and Chip pack some chairs away since they were both a little tired and they seat the cats members at the front so that it doesn't take them ten minutes to dodge a crowd to get in. I cannot speak for the other panels but I KNOW at Whose line that there was nobody allowed in before you that didn't have a legitamate panel related reasonf ro being there.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:07:47 am »
I have an advantage since I'm a familiar face and ex-staffer, but I can understand how the smaller panels would have had problems for VIPs.

I know that my wife and I were able to get into the Dating Game panels early without incident.

I think the trick to taking advantage of VIP status is getting to the panel while the line is still outside. If the line is already moving then it might be too late. Having a few VIP seats at every panel as a standard policy might be a good idea for future years. Just make sure that all panelists and panel staff know about it before hand so no matter who is asked, there'll be a place for a few VIPs no matte the panel. Then you just have to worry about getting there before another VIP.

I really wish I'd done some Karaoke this year. I hope we get the "once a day" ticket in the future.  :D
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline KiraTOD

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 12:11:12 pm »
Well I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm being a ass(not trying to be) and as I speak from exp. (5 years of VIP) I've found when get VIP it's mostly for main events and the exhibition hall. And panels are usually first come first serve. I personally think kumo does a grate job with vip's :)

Offline numair42

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 05:19:19 pm »
I've found when get VIP it's mostly for main events and the exhibition hall.

The seat covers were a new for this year. We wanted to try them out in main events first to make sure that they actually work. I personally like them and hope to see more of them next year.
2016+ Programming Staff
2015 - Assistant Director of Infrastructure
2009 - 2014 - Programming Staff
2006 & 2007 - Yojimbo

Mic Ninja says "Chaaa~~"

Offline Mitasco

• Oni
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 07:15:02 pm »
Thanks for the responses everybody! And I guess that we just showed up after everyone was seated. This was my first year at Kumoricon, and at the con I usually go to, they didn't start seating until literally around three minutes before the panel was scheduled to start.

Well I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm being a ass(not trying to be) and as I speak from exp. (5 years of VIP) I've found when get VIP it's mostly for main events and the exhibition hall. And panels are usually first come first serve. I personally think kumo does a grate job with vip's :)

Yeah, it's mostly 'cuz at the con I usually go to, they called out for VIPs to come in first at all panels, then they let in everyone else. And you didn't sound like an ass, don't worry.

I just assumed it was the same. Guess I was mislead a bit. Being a VIP still paid off, though. The swag was awesome, and for the main events, having practically front row seats was even more awesome(:

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 07:50:36 pm »
I really wish I'd done some Karaoke this year. I hope we get the "once a day" ticket in the future.  :D

;D I like hearing this as I invented them last year, when I realized karaoke would be hard to auto skip line while still being fair.  Programing prints them, but I have a copy of the file just in case for next year

The seat covers were a new for this year. We wanted to try them out in main events first to make sure that they actually work. I personally like them and hope to see more of them next year.

Yes they were great, still some issues, mostly with non vips trying to sit on them, but every time you try something new there are bumps
*yes if you were a non VIP trying to sit on the light blue slip covers I was the one who politely asked you to move, nothing personal*
I esp liked the bright blue ones to mark chairs for disabled people big help, tho once again few bumps, maybe a video for attendees about the slip covers and what they stand for/are needed for could clear up confusion?

I personally think kumo does a grate job with vip's :)

Woot! Thanks!  I especially like the VIP check in location away from registration and info desk, less noisy and I didn't have to guard the VIP swag from everyone  

Being a VIP still paid off, though. The swag was awesome,

I am really glad you liked the swag, we try to mix it up each year and keep it different, what item(s) did you like best?

and for the main events, having practically front row seats was even more awesome(:
For every event I can try to get there at least a hour before seating so I can help. (sadly at opening ceremonies was checking people in)
in some cases like cosplay front row on the sides wasn't as good (view wise) as 2nd row center and some from row seats were taken by people needed for the event, judges and what not.

And I understand why you feel a bit mislead, I would too. Its something that can be worked on for next year to prevent being an issue for next years convention.  Criticism and critiques and feed back are good things, because it helps us work out the kinks in  the system, and make it better.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:59:58 pm by superjaz »

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 10:34:07 pm »
I was there for most to all of the events listed. There was no room camping involved. We lined up and started the line in some cases an hour or two early, or in the case of one right after another in the same B/C room- we started the line immediately after getting out of the panel.

There was a rave and fire safety code to consider, as well as other panels going on. In most to all of those cases involving the panels, staff had ushered us in directly and had made us take our seats. We're always told to leave at the least the front row open for people staffing the panel or for VIPs, so staff always directs us to take the 2nd row. Anyone who comes in later after the panel has started- which some will start early since people have been seated and they can talk while still setting up - will usually come and take those open seats. And besides, usually it's newer people to cons who don't know what the unspoken rules are that'll try to sit in the front seats if staff is not there- to which it's up to circumstances of if they're asked to move for the panelists to sit there, or are allowed to stay.

Mostly, if you want the front of the line, VIP really only is addressed and called for for the events in the "main events" room, and sometimes for autograph sessions. This is a nice thing to have because it means you don't have to be glued to a wall for 30 min to 2 hours to be in line to make sure you get into the front few rows. From my experience, they never ask if VIPs are in the line before allowing panel lines in. In the case of some smaller panels also, there are no lines and people are allowed to just go in and take whatever seats they prefer.

Which speaking of, the maid squad leading and directing us where to sit and how to go was very hand with the cosplay contest, opening and closing ceremonies. It saves the lines from being filled on both sides from people not following the "line". It was great that the staff said it over and over again at the door so everyone in the line could hear it. Tiring for the staff, I'm sure, but I'm glad it was done.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 04:54:31 pm »
Yeah, it's mostly 'cuz at the con I usually go to, they called out for VIPs to come in first at all panels, then they let in everyone else. And you didn't sound like an ass, don't worry.

It might be that at the con you usually attend they have more people to make sure that the VIP's get top priority.  I can also say that, as a panelist, I don't really care who is in or what seats are taken up by whom, so I don't usually look for the badge differences.  This mindset is because, as far as I've always known, our VIP's only have some exclusives and they don't really apply to smaller panels.

I've never really read the VIP benefits for Kumoricon, or any con for that matter, because I've never personally cared.  As a staffer, my positions have never really required it, and as an attendee because I just don't want to pay the extra money for said benefits (except for having dinners with the guests, that would be pretty cool).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 06:10:44 pm »
don't really apply to smaller panels.

I've never really read the VIP benefits for Kumoricon, or any con for that matter,

Its more of an issue of being harder to apply to smaller panels. 

And read no, listen yes at the last meeting before con, the con chair did announce, when going over some line policies that this did not apply to VIPs, who have a premium ticket and do not have to wait in line.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 08:23:59 pm »
I've never heard VIPs called for with most panels even at SakuraCon, unless they were guest run and even then I can't recall a time, though I assume there was one.

I think the panels and VIPs only are addressed at bigger conventions where they love their lines, like Anime Expo.
Kumori'15

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 08:44:15 pm »
I think the panels and VIPs only are addressed at bigger conventions where they love their lines, like Anime Expo.

Rowr, put away the claws kitty.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 08:56:03 pm »
Hah, yeaaah... Well those lines were pretty long last I was there eons ago. But I don't recall reading anything about it being a panelist's job to go and call for VIPs to see if there are any in line to take priority seating, or save seats for them.
I assume to VIPs it'd be nice if we did, or if there was something more in place for them, since they are paying the extra amount of money.
Kumori'15

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 09:06:18 pm »
Oh I misunderstood something! Someone thought VIP seating was the panelist's responsibility!? How weird!

I think that if you spend the money to get in you just go to the front of the line and wait there. If the regular attendees don't shift for your almighty, $250 vertical badge then you go looking for staff. If VIPs aren't comfortable doing that then... well... I don't know how important these seats are to you.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!

Offline Mitasco

• Oni
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 09:24:23 pm »
Oh I misunderstood something! Someone thought VIP seating was the panelist's responsibility!? How weird!

I think that if you spend the money to get in you just go to the front of the line and wait there. If the regular attendees don't shift for your almighty, $250 vertical badge then you go looking for staff. If VIPs aren't comfortable doing that then... well... I don't know how important these seats are to you.

You don't need to get snappy... as mentioned, I didn't know that it was different at Kumoricon than it was at Anime Evolution. I was just going by my experience. Sor-ry.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 09:27:40 pm »
I really don't believe Tom was being snappy, so much as it just does sound weird to people who attend Sakura, Kumori, Mew and Aki, and just never think about it until it's been brought up.

If it's something other VIPs show an interest in, it should be mentioned to the panelists to be on the lookout for VIPs and save at least half of the front row for them.
Kumori'15

Offline ThiefKingsHier

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:17 pm »
Thanks for the responses everybody! And I guess that we just showed up after everyone was seated. This was my first year at Kumoricon, and at the con I usually go to, they didn't start seating until literally around three minutes before the panel was scheduled to start.

Yeaaah I don't think that VIP means you can just stroll in when you feel like it. They are popular panels and seats will be given to whomever is there. It would be rude of them to turn people away because someone with a VIP pass might decide to show up at some point.

I went to the late-night 'Who's line/scenes from a hat. The line was quite long but moved very quickly, and I did see that the first was full but with only actors.
I can't speack for the day-time panels but I can't imagine it would be much different.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2011, 09:45:08 pm »
And for The Whose Line panels, we did try and get most of the panelists (as there were plenty) to sit on the floor and not take up seats.

Anyway, as a Director I hope things got cleared up after you spoke with staff, we will look towards more efficient ways to balance out VIPs in the future I am sure!

-Ally
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2011, 09:51:46 pm »
If it's something other VIPs show an interest in, it should be mentioned to the panelists to be on the lookout for VIPs and save at least half of the front row for them.

Something like this is what I am thinking of.  It need to be easy for the panelist because they have a lot on their plate already.  And panels run late and over lap other panels, which affect seating times, and some panels don't have lines, people just walk in before the panelist does and in that case it would be even harder.  And once again do not want to do anything to subtract from the quality of the panel.

Back in the day before my position was made VIP's weren't as vocal on their rights mainly because they do not want to seem rude.  This is why VIP manager was created.  When I send out an info e-mail to VIPs I stress "DO NOT WAIT IN LINES"

I have to wait until after elections and the new year to see if I am given the VIP manager position again, and if so this issue will be my first to tackle.

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 12:55:12 am »
Panelist are usually(Not always but often) busy with their panel, most of our panels had software and hardware to set up. There is usually a staff member directing the line who should be able to help, and at the bigger events i saw maid squad with a sign for VIP to gather at. I think that as far as VIP goes this place is fairly on the ball. Any specific problems....could probably be solved by bugging a nearby Yoji.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."