Author Topic: Religion in Anime & Manga panel  (Read 4729 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Religion in Anime & Manga panel
« on: September 02, 2011, 12:56:55 pm »
Sunday, Hilton, Panel 1, 1pm to 3pm.

Join us for a safe space for people of any, all, or no faith, practice, or philosophic orientation, to chat warmly, amiably, and supportively, about whatever we've noticed or wondered about, vis-a-vis religious or spiritual visuals, terms, characters, plot lines, backdrops, etc., in anime, manga, games, etc.

We hope to see you all there. Usually a wonderful turn-out, with very vocal audience participation. I believe this is our 6th year.

Feel free to post here in advance, if you have any questions, topics you'd like to have addressed, specific series, games, or manga you'd like to address.

Panelists have familiarity with a wide variety of religious, faith, and philosophical orientations, from Roman Catholicism (Latin Rite), to various other branches of Christianity, to various denominations of Judaism (including Chassidism), to Paganism and Wicca, to groups within Buddhism and Hinduism, and intellectual familiarity with humanism, agnosticism, various types of left-hand craft, and atheism.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:58:01 pm by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
Re: Religion in Anime & Manga panel
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 10:41:37 pm »
I kinda like religion in anime :D I think ill come to this I didnt get alot on what it is about but it looks very interesting

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 10:49:03 am »
I kinda like religion in anime :D I think ill come to this I didnt get alot on what it is about but it looks very interesting

It's a wonderful experience. Basically, it is a moderated panel, but with a lot of audience participation. It's a chance for anyone, of any or no faith or philosophy, to discuss or inquire about anything they have noticed or wondered about, with regard to religious or spiritual symbols, content, references, implications, themes, motifs, morals, etc., in anime, manga, games, Japanese culture, etc. Looking forward to seeing you there!
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:35:50 am »
yes I ve I want to go count me in. I enjoy the story like wolfwood in trigun ^^ hes one of my fav people

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:53:37 pm »
Mine, as well :D
As is Rem. To me she is the spiritual center of the show. She is the character after whom I named myself, because she conveys, to Vash and the audience, the qualities of love and peace.

yes I ve I want to go count me in. I enjoy the story like wolfwood in trigun ^^ hes one of my fav people

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:53:23 pm »
Agree. I think there is one manga called preist I got into it its around religon along with Vassalord even though it is a yaoi it has alot of religion in it

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:11:28 pm »
Is it the graphic novel, Priest, about which the vampire film was made? Hokey and predictable story line, but some memorable visuals....

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 02:15:01 pm »
Is it the graphic novel, Priest, about which the vampire film was made? Hokey and predictable story line, but some memorable visuals....

its the graphic novel i think i cant rember but it was good so is vassalord its involed vampires and cyborgs lol

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 02:52:46 pm »
I'm not familiar with Vassalord.

its the graphic novel i think i cant rember but it was good so is vassalord its involed vampires and cyborgs lol

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 02:57:46 pm »
Not alot of people have its very new it came out last year but theres only 4 books out so far o.o all 4 + the firs tone in japanese with the limited adishion book cover for it. its really good its somewhat yaoi but it dosent show much

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 03:06:14 pm »
My favorite is actually a 3-issue manwha, Ark Angels. It's basically about 3 angelic girls who are able to see and communicate with the souls in endangered animals on earth and who try to save them from humans who take advantage of or kill those animals, in order to protect the earth from those divine figures who want to destroy the planet for the ecocide and species-cide that humans have engaged upon it. And of course there are allusions to Noah's Ark in it. Exquisite art work, btw.
Not alot of people have its very new it came out last year but theres only 4 books out so far o.o all 4 + the firs tone in japanese with the limited adishion book cover for it. its really good its somewhat yaoi but it dosent show much

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 03:12:02 pm »

That sounds liek it be good

My favorite is actually a 3-issue manwha, Ark Angels. It's basically about 3 angelic girls who are able to see and communicate with the souls in endangered animals on earth and who try to save them from humans who take advantage of or kill those animals, in order to protect the earth from those divine figures who want to destroy the planet for the ecocide and species-cide that humans have engaged upon it. And of course there are allusions to Noah's Ark in it. Exquisite art work, btw.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 03:30:32 pm »
I had to special order Ark Angels, but it was worth it!

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 03:49:24 pm »
i beat
I had to special order Ark Angels, but it was worth it!

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 12:51:57 pm »
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo~!

Will there be another one of these next year, Rem? i can't believe I didn't see this! This would have been fun!!! -dies inside a little-
Part of DoNotWant and RPOD

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 09:17:27 pm »
I've always wanted to check one of these out.  Hopefully, there won't be a schedule conflict this year...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 09:50:29 pm »
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo~!

Will there be another one of these next year, Rem? i can't believe I didn't see this! This would have been fun!!! -dies inside a little-

It would be lovely to have you and Aaron there.
Though, of course, panel decisions are always up to Jaki,
we've been holding strong for years, always with a packed room of very interested and interesting participants from a wide variety of backgrounds, and it's certainly our intention to return.
We are generally relatively early on Sunday afternoon, for 2 hours.

Much love to everyone who has joined us or is considering joining us! It's honestly a major highlight of my year. Special thanks to Jeni, Taco, and especially panel founder and all around font of encyclopedic knowledge, Guy.

Offline Chan_Highwind

• Chibi
    • Chan's Facebook
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 01:03:48 am »
Yay!! I'll be sure to make sure that I can make it this year. It sounds like it would be really fun! I can't promise if I will participate fully, but I might. Funny enough, I can get rather shy out of the blue. >>;;
Part of DoNotWant and RPOD

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 12:22:42 am »
I've always wanted to check one of these out.  Hopefully, there won't be a schedule conflict this year...

:)