Author Topic: First time going to a Con  (Read 4463 times)

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
First time going to a Con
« on: August 02, 2004, 04:11:29 pm »
Hi. I've never been to a Comic Con before and was just curious as to some of the details on what they're like. I'll probably be going with a couple friends. Also, all of us have pretty much just gotten into anime, and I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good series or movies. (I know some of you can by reading your posts :P)

Anyway, thanks in advance.
I can count all de way to schfifty-five...

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 08:49:41 pm »
First, watch Hellsing, Eva, Hoshi no Koe, and Jin-Roh.  Ghost in the Shell, and Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex are also both GREAT suggestions.

And, this Con focuses more on Japanese things that just manga (comics).  Just have fun hanging out with your friends. ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 09:42:27 pm »
do not watch eva if your mind is not stable at the time of viewing that anime is distubing

but its also on my top 5 best animes

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 05:43:08 am »
Thanks guys. I've seen Hellsing already, but haven't heard of half the others. I'll check them out. Also, no worries about me watching Eva. I feel pretty sane. Well, most the time. :P

I've also watched Orphen, Princess Mononoki, and Spirited Away, but that's about it.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 10:49:06 am »
If you can, try getting your hands on some "old" anime so that you can see what have been used as bases for recent anime.  I would recommened Tenchi Muyo OVA (OAV?) and Sailor Moon (just so you know what may have started a large portion of the magical girl stuff).

Offline Teregate

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 11:03:41 am »
Okay. Cool. I forgot, I've also watched the First RoboTech series all the way through. :p Does that count as old?

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 12:58:41 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
....Sailor Moon (just so you know what may have started a large portion of the magical girl stuff).

Sailor Moon subbed, not dubbed.  The subbed show was actually decent.  I deny knowledge of the dubb, except for the music.  The American OST was pretty decent.
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 09:59:14 pm »
Quote from: "Teregate"
Okay. Cool. I forgot, I've also watched the First RoboTech series all the way through. :p Does that count as old?

Yeah, I think that would count as old.  A good base for mecha anime.

Quote from: "princessfrodo"
Sailor Moon subbed, not dubbed. The subbed show was actually decent. I deny knowledge of the dubb, except for the music. The American OST was pretty decent.

I don't know about the subbed as I've only seen the dubbed.  But my advice for SM would be to stop after the season which introduces Chibi Usa (Rini).  After that the dubbed voices seemed to become really annoying.