Author Topic: make up for male  (Read 2854 times)

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
make up for male
« on: July 25, 2011, 11:31:16 pm »
as we all know-- good cosplay has make up

are make up for females good enuff to get?? or are there specialized make up for males??

<< embarrassed to buy a make up for women X.X i am pathetic
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: make up for male
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 02:33:42 am »
I can understand the embarrassment, its okay.  To this day I don't think I can put on lip stick without feeling 5 years old.

I have never seen makeup specifically for a guy (tho not saying it doesn't exist) altho makeup for costume stuff/theater stuff seemed more unisex to me. 

If you decided to buy/try some to experiment with, I would recommend 3 things,
1 test out on part of your arm for allergic reactions because yeah they can do that even stuff like eye liner. You don't want to wait until con and then have a reaction to it.
2 keep your skin type in mind, ie dry/oily?  Cuz some are made to help skin types.
3 If you have a pimple/sore/cut on your skin putting makeup on it is a great way to get it infected/irritated and potentially cross contaminate into the makeup container.  You know how they say you shouldn't touch your eyes with out washing your hands first?  Same applies to makeup.  So if you get something like that I would recommend avoid makeup on it and letting it heal.  Altho if during the con weekend I can understand not following this.  I had a coworker who would wear thick makeup to cover pimples and they would get really icky.

So hope this helps.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 02:37:01 am »
I'm not sure if there is any brand made just for males but you could get a female friend to go along with you and pick out the right shade and if you are really embarrassed give her the money and have her buy it.

But the most important things are concealer (typically in a little tube or stick) to cover zits, scars and mole, foundation (the liquid stuff) to smooth out uneven skintones, and powder to reduce shine and give skin the airbrushed look.

Other than those the rest you really don't need but might help out. Eye liner is always useful to make your eyes stand out more. You can get brown powder to change the shape of your face (or at least appear like it has changed). I'm not sure what else might be important. I have a lot of make-up tutorials saved on my computer but I am at work now. I belive there is also a make-up tutorial in this forum somewhere.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 03:37:35 am »
Skin types really matter as do the $. Put in a good amount to your make up and you'll usually get a good quality back. I spent a good 6$ on a green concealer stick alone and it's worked awsome.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:07:45 am »
There actually is some make up specifically designed for males to look like females.  Unfortunately, I don't remember what it's called.  I've been told that stage make up can work pretty well for most things in this field, too.  "Regular" make up ought to work out okay, but like veraca said, skin type plays a huge role in it.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 08:45:39 am »
as we all know-- good cosplay has make up

are make up for females good enuff to get?? or are there specialized make up for males??

<< embarrassed to buy a make up for women X.X i am pathetic

You could just do what I did . . which was bring a girl with me when I bought my bra.  Or when I bought my make-up, I kept looking at my cell phone as if I was texting some non-existent girlfriend about what she wanted me to pick up for her. xD

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 08:49:36 am »
oh my goodness HAHAHAHAH
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 05:35:54 pm »
That's right dude, play it cool. Or text someone constantly or talk on the cellphone about what she wants ? XD Ha ha ha!
Kumori'15

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
    • Kato's mini Japanese Anime, Culture and Hobby Page
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 08:34:48 pm »
While general womens cosmetics work ok for guys there are several sites that have cosmetics specifically for men.

Sites like TG Cosmetics https://www.tgcosmetics.com/home.asp

and Ben Nye http://www.bennye.com/ are two of the better known ones.

The main thing you want to do is to match your skin type and complexion for the correctors, foundation and powder. With that you can do any crossplay you want.
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 09:15:42 pm »
That's right dude, play it cool. Or text someone constantly or talk on the cellphone about what she wants ? XD Ha ha ha!

If anything, all the girls will be like, "Oh, what a sweetheart! He's doing shopping for his girlfriend!"

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 09:53:14 pm »
hahahaha- am just awkward about it is all... XD

Offline Ritsu-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 11:23:16 pm »
I can see how it may be embarassing but I don't think anyone will care if you're buying make-up, sephora is a make-up store and they can help you do anything!
Kumoricon 2012: Princess Bubblegum.. 90%.. I just need to style my wig XC

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 12:22:59 am »
Sites like TG Cosmetics https://www.tgcosmetics.com/home.asp

This is the one that I was trying to remember.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 02:40:59 am »
Reppy's right. I think most people will think he's a doll for buying make-up presumably for your girl friend or sister or mom or something. And really, they'd probably raise brows more if you were doing a pads/tampon run.

Besides, they usually just ask "did you find everything you were looking for okay?" and you just answer "yes" and pay up. :)
Kumori'15

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 12:02:54 pm »
There was one time that I was looking for make up on my own.  I told the lady straight up that it was to help make me look more feminine.  She pointed out to something that she thought would work, but wasn't sure since she'd never been asked that.  I tried it; it didn't work too well; I told her the next day; we laughed. ;D

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 10:18:44 pm »
any specific brands and names u guys can recommend?

there's this wallgreens shop near where i live (188th beaverton, just in case sum1 lives near there and goes to that wallgreens place) and it has this wall full of cosmetics and its very intimidating to go to D8

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 03:53:59 am »
I use Maybelline Dream Matte powder and mousse with a kabuki brush and my fingers. I also use a Maybelline concealer stick (it was over by the lipsticks and looks like a eye lash brush thing). My green stick (used for red spots) is a "physicians formula gentle cover concealer" :3

And generally any make-up remover towelette works. You can also use a small amount of EVOO, but it takes longer and you have to wash your face after.

As for washing your face, I'd say get a blackhead removal (I use a neutrogena) that's a daily cleanser. It'll help get out any dirt left over from the make-up.

I'd also recommend if you have really acne prone, oily and sensitive skin (I do), then no matter what. Do not go to sleep in the make-up and wash your face thoroughly afterwards.
Kumori'15

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
    • Kato's mini Japanese Anime, Culture and Hobby Page
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 06:41:52 am »
I use correctors from TG cosmetics and colour palates from ELF (walmart carries it) Their other makeup items are very reasonably priced too.
Nutrogena products are excellent as well and I use alot of those.

To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 05:49:38 pm »
^ Oh yeah, I've heard great things about ELF, too.  (Maybe I should get some with my next paycheck...).