Author Topic: Always Remember to Be On Guard at Cons  (Read 59739 times)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Always Remember to Be On Guard at Cons
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:26:03 am »
We all want to believe Kumoricon and anime conventions are safe places, our havens and home away from our homes. For the most part this is true, but remember, you have to do your part to stay safe and keep yourself from harm. This news story is a terrible reminder of that.

Girls, guys, ladies, children, teens, adults - everyone, really - have fun and enjoy Kumoricon, but also remember to keep your guard up and your wits about you. Be wise in your fandom. That's the best way to enjoy it, after all!

Thankfully we have Yojimbo and staff who make Kumoricon a generally safe and trusting place, but don't abandon your common sense either.

Let's all have a safe and memorable con!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Re: Always Remember to Be On Guard at Cons
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:49:49 pm »
That's so sad. Yes please be safe attendees.

I like that katsucon will now run attendees names thru the offender registry, but since he was using his middle name as his last name I don't know if it would have made a difference in this case, but hopefully it will prevent it from happening in the future.  I thought part of being registered as an offender they are suppose to avoid places populated by children like schools, I would think a con would fall under that.

I really hope they don't plead him out lightly.

Being as pregger first time mom, it scares me does make me wonder about how I am going to raise my child, when do I allow something like face book (I think I will totally be screening friends up to age 16) freedom to walk to the store alone and things like that.

Did you see that really sad case about an 8 year old boy murdered on the first time he was allowed to walk home alone
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/07/13/2011-07-13_body_of_missing_boy_leiby_kletzky_8_found_in_dumpster_in_park_slope.html

My heart and prayers go out to the family.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:56:56 pm »
i just heard about the little boy and his first walk home makes me want to be an over protective mommy (when i have kids) but sadly when you do that most the time they srink away and get into thouse messes too....sometimes you just want to distroy the world just to get rid of the evil (or touse with horribley bad intions ) off of it
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 03:03:18 pm »
That's why we need a real Kira! (Sorry, been watching Death Note and the idea of a megalomaniacal vigilante seems terribly applicable right now.)

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:40:48 pm »
That's why we need a real Kira! (Sorry, been watching Death Note and the idea of a megalomaniacal vigilante seems terribly applicable right now.)

This. Especially for the majority of cases where it's a family friend or member, so they get by with a slap on the wrist (if they even get that much). Heck, I'd even trade for "the eyes" for people like that.

But for Kcon, we don't need Kira... we have kylite. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:48:11 pm by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:40:13 pm »
i just heard about the little boy and his first walk home makes me want to be an over protective mommy

YES

thinking about it, when I was 8 I went to school by my self, and since we had moved, in a town where I did not know where anything was and farther then the boy walked, tho I was given a bike, but was not taught to ride it, learned the hard way (small town layfett oregon) at 9 I was responsible for my younger brother as well (different town) makes me feel lucky to be here

My husband was the reverse his parents were always there but as lived in LA, and his dad was a cop who knew what could happen.

Just wondering if any of you younger peeps, how many of you have parents who stay at the hotel during con?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 11:24:23 pm »
People like that suck.  >:(  I say castrate the creep.

I would like to point out something that was said by the con..

"In light of this event, Katsucon will make every effort to check our pre-registration attendee list against local and federally published sex offender registries and will prohibit attendance from those identified as a threat to our attendees in the hope to prevent an incident such as this from ever occurring again."

We should do something like this, too.  Though this won't guarantee a perfect protection for our attendees, it will help a lot.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 12:05:53 am »

Just wondering if any of you younger peeps, how many of you have parents who stay at the hotel during con?

My parents don't stay at the con with me, but i have to have trusted adult staying with me at the hotel (and at all times when i go outside, which makes sense. Even i'm a little frightened myself about walking around cities alone). Which is kind of cool considering most of my friends are over 18 8)

Offline neko_goes_nyaaa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 05:11:50 am »
Too bad kids these days didn't have Winnie The Pooh to teach them about Stranger Danger like I did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ-dBujy3IM

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 05:16:42 am »
Too bad kids these days didn't have Winnie The Pooh to teach them about Stranger Danger like I did.

Oh man, kids shows were so awesome back then. I learned so much from stuff like that.
Though, i have to admit that that Pooh was a little creepy...I prefer cartoons.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:17:54 am by Saki-the-cat »

Offline neko_goes_nyaaa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 05:26:30 am »
Me too, Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in the 80's was awesome, but everytime I watched the older live action Pooh I was like "wtf is this?" There was also a live action Dumbo, that was even creepier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=attoEWTbhrs - Srsly, he looks scarier than Tapier from CoCoRon.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:27:44 am by neko_goes_nyaaa »

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 05:32:20 am »
Even the cartoon movie of Dumbo scared me as a child DX

Offline neko_goes_nyaaa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 05:35:22 am »
People like that suck.  >:(  I say castrate the creep.

Just like in my favorite video by OOMPH!; "Beim ersten Mal tut's immer weh" also the movie Hard Candy, apparently, which I was not yet aware of and the viddie is apparently based on... Hm.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:38:32 am by neko_goes_nyaaa »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 04:59:11 pm »

Word.

Me too, Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in the 80's was awesome, but everytime I watched the older live action Pooh I was like "wtf is this?" There was also a live action Dumbo, that was even creepier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=attoEWTbhrs - Srsly, he looks scarier than Tapier from CoCoRon.

...the nightmares...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkBkR5jb6u0&NR=1 - I used to LOVE this show.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:00:12 pm by Washougal_Otaku »

Offline neko_goes_nyaaa

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 05:38:02 pm »
Oh lawd, Under The Umbrella Tree... I remember that... and also this other show on PBS that had similar looking puppets with a grey mouse named Merci that tried to teach kids french. Can't remember the name of it though.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 05:45:22 pm by neko_goes_nyaaa »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 06:02:09 pm »
^ I'm not sure I know that one...

Offline Trash Can Ninja

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 12:12:17 pm »
Call me mean or anything if you wish, but why did a 13 year old girl have relations
like such in the first place isn't that a little young?
Sex isn't exactly a kids activity ya know?
Really all and all both people involved made bad choices.
He re-offended, and she told someone she knew on-line about her self and flirted, with out knowing him.
Then again...this is America 2011 not America the 90's.
I shouldn't be so surprised or confused.

ETHER WAY!
Please do be safe specially if your still a minor.
Only be around people you know in Real life,
and more than like a random talk once or twice, by yourself in your room.
Try to stay in a group.
See or hear something say something.
Staff would rather know about suspicious activity I'm sure.
And have fun lots of it!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 12:28:47 pm »
Thing is, whether it's "right" or not, the legal definition is that there are some people incapable of giving consent. This includes someone who is too impaired by alcohol or some other drug (prescription or not) to exercise judgment. If an anesthesiologist has sex with an unconscious patient, the law defines it as rape because they were incapable of giving consent. Period. End of story.

In the same way, a minor below a certain age is defined as being too young to exercise judgment. If an adult sleeps with them knowing they're underage, no amount of flirting (or "temptation", or "she was scantily dressed, Your Honor") makes it okay. The law defines it as statutory rape.

Do laws for the protection of children get abused? YMMV; I would say in some circumstances yes (with PROTECT being a spectacular example). But in this case, at least IMO, it's simply not possible for a child this young to give consent. It's statutory rape.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 06:10:48 pm »
That's pretty sad. Sending the names through the offender's list sounds like a great idea to me. On the devil's advocate hand, though, I must say, is it fair to lock-out a registered offender who might or might not be attending with malicious intent?

Though, this does make me question some things about anime conventions. I've heard rumors that some people go to the conventions purely for sex, contra-ban, alcohol and the like. I have doubts that was what within this girl's mind when she attended the convention. And to continue relations with someone clearly older than her online is fine to a degree. But to then meet in person without the protection of parents, public, or the convention atmosphere... :/ Well, yeah. While the minor could say it was consent, by age alone (defining brain development), I would seriously question her motives.

REGARDLESS. I'm totally on the side of the victim and everyone being careful and aware of who they talk to. If you're talking to someone who is invading your personal bubble or making you uncomfortable, you do have the legitamate right to verbally turn them down. And if you don't feel safe doing that, you look for help from someone bigger than you (physically or by age), someone more outspoken than you, or from staff and security. And from that you're probably within in your right to call the police with the excuse of "harassment". [If and only if, the person has not let you alone after repeated requests that they do so.]

^ I think that sounds about right?
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 06:31:53 pm »
^ It does.

To add a little to your devil's advocacy, I'm worried about the fact that if Jerrod Harris Smith gets convicted under the name "Jerry Smith", we'd be very likely to turn away a lot of innocent Jerry Smiths.. while the original would just start going by J. Harry Smith and get in just fine. The trouble with lists is that unless you start giving away ID-theft-level information, any list will likely be too nonspecific.  :-\

~

Echoing what veraca and Trash Can Ninja said, if you see anything that even makes you suspicious - please talk to yojimbo or another staff member right away. There's no reason for you to have to put up with the guy who keeps trying to talk you up to his room, take photos of you after you've refused, offer you an open container of something to drink, or suchlike. We take child/teenager safety VERY seriously, and we'll gladly do anything we can to help.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 08:20:17 pm »
That's pretty sad. Sending the names through the offender's list sounds like a great idea to me. On the devil's advocate hand, though, I must say, is it fair to lock-out a registered offender who might or might not be attending with malicious intent?

I would say totally YES to this, because they would be putting them self's at risk to a place where children are plentiful.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 09:32:23 pm »
On the devil's advocate hand, though, I must say, is it fair to lock-out a registered offender who might or might not be attending with malicious intent?

It's fair, because they gave up their expectation of equal treatment when they committed the first crime.

You can get banned for life from a con for doing far less than the things that would get you on a sex offender list.

People can reform, but actions have consequences.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 01:44:50 am »
There is also the thing where people are taking pictures of you at the con. Most people want to take pics of your cosplay because its really good or they appreciate the character but you never really know what someone will do with the picture especially if it is a revealing outfit. If someone asks for your picture and you don't feel comfortable with them taking the picture then you have every right to say no. then walk away very fast.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 05:49:00 am »
There is also the thing where people are taking pictures of you at the con. Most people want to take pics of your cosplay because its really good or they appreciate the character but you never really know what someone will do with the picture especially if it is a revealing outfit. If someone asks for your picture and you don't feel comfortable with them taking the picture then you have every right to say no. then walk away very fast.

On that note, I've got to share something Tycho from Penny Arcade wrote on just this topic. It's too perfect.

In talking about cosplay and conventions, he writes:
There’s simply a weirdo contingent at these things. Right?  You aren't a weirdo for attending, but you can be a weirdo and attend.  That’s not especially revelatory, is it? I mean, I’m a weirdo, and when I see some of the people, I’m sorta like “Reel it in.” I don’t like being looked at, I feel like the human gaze has a tangible quality, something you can palp, so the idea of dressing up and being photographed as an explicitly recreational act is beyond my conception. That’s independent of what a gross person wants with those pictures. Brenna and I were getting passport photos once, and instead of throwing away the extra copies, Passport Photo Man threw mine away and kept hers.

“Is that in case we need an extra?” I asked. He didn’t answer; just gave me a look, and in this look I could see a hundred mannequins in various states of disrepair, each of them with a tiny picture for a face.

The fear is made reasonable when you hear stories like this (about the sex offender). It does get one slightly paranoid about who is taking the pictures and why, but I have never encountered anyone at Kumoricon that seems to give off the red flags (probably because I'm a lumberjack-of-a-man with an Action Hank beard), but since I'm bringing my little sister for the first time this year (and she will be cosplaying from Tokyo Mew Mew with four other 11 year old girls), you can bet this article will give me new eyes and I'll most likely be on the lookout in ways I haven't been before.

In my experience though, Kumoricon has been a safe place on the creeper front. Then again, that's just my experience.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 06:55:40 am »

On that note, I've got to share something Tycho from Penny Arcade wrote on just this topic. It's too perfect.

In talking about cosplay and conventions, he writes:
There’s simply a weirdo contingent at these things. Right?  You aren't a weirdo for attending, but you can be a weirdo and attend.  That’s not especially revelatory, is it? I mean, I’m a weirdo, and when I see some of the people, I’m sorta like “Reel it in.” I don’t like being looked at, I feel like the human gaze has a tangible quality, something you can palp, so the idea of dressing up and being photographed as an explicitly recreational act is beyond my conception. That’s independent of what a gross person wants with those pictures. Brenna and I were getting passport photos once, and instead of throwing away the extra copies, Passport Photo Man threw mine away and kept hers.

“Is that in case we need an extra?” I asked. He didn’t answer; just gave me a look, and in this look I could see a hundred mannequins in various states of disrepair, each of them with a tiny picture for a face.

The fear is made reasonable when you hear stories like this (about the sex offender). It does get one slightly paranoid about who is taking the pictures and why, but I have never encountered anyone at Kumoricon that seems to give off the red flags (probably because I'm a lumberjack-of-a-man with an Action Hank beard), but since I'm bringing my little sister for the first time this year (and she will be cosplaying from Tokyo Mew Mew with four other 11 year old girls), you can bet this article will give me new eyes and I'll most likely be on the lookout in ways I haven't been before.

In my experience though, Kumoricon has been a safe place on the creeper front. Then again, that's just my experience.

So far, this is the case, but it's best to be prepared in whatever ways we can, right?

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 12:32:51 pm »
I mentioned this in the miniskirt topic from a while back, but regardless of your age you should always be aware of your surroundings. A 5' petite 21 year old girl is in the same amount of danger as a 5' average 14 year old girl, ruled simply on size.

I'm a big proponent to feeling safe and secure and having a buddy system with cellphones, and knowing where the staff and security are stationed in relation to where you are and the important booths, like First Aid, Lost & Found and Info.

Guys are generally considered "safer" than girls. In the meaning of, my mom would let my brother walk around the streets however he wanted when he was 14 around our house and I was limited to not leaving our woodsy long driveway unless I was on my bike and just going to the library two blocks away. Or if I had a friend with me, I could wander more. There are stories I know of where guys are in just as much danger as girls, though I do feel people tend to judge girls much more quickly based on fashion, height and builds.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 02:51:28 pm »
Yup the double standard, I know at times when hanging around with younger female attendees, and a guy flirts, I would act big sister-y.  A unrelated guy friend can't do that as freely.

I would also recommend, just listen to the gut feeling, its served me well in the past, if something/some one is giving you creepy vibes leave, or ask any k-con staff for some help. 

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 10:07:35 pm »
I guess you are talikg about this http://tinyurl.com/3wlfsbv
This hurts and angers me in two ways. First it hurts the con experience of our young attendees. Second as and older fan I worry about over zealous security. For those who do not know me this will be my forth Kumoricon. I am the guy with a big Hello Kitty or other Sanrio Plush and host the otaku over 30 panel. I already guarded around minors in that I do not want to send the wrong signal. Now do have worry about secuity.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 12:20:13 pm »
^ Yup, that's the one.

Also, it's not a double standard if it's a safety issue.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 06:35:33 pm »
I know this may sound weird, but, relating to that link two posts up, am i the only one who thinks the girl should be in just as much trouble as the guy? I'm sorry, but i think anyone over the age of 13 should be smart enough to not have sex with some 30-year-old or so guy they met at a con. It just blows my mind that a person of my age could be so stupid and careless.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 08:34:04 pm »
I'm sure she is in moral trouble (with her parents and friends), but you just can't criminally charge a minor when the situation is statutory rape. Statutory rape automatically victimizes the minor and incriminates the adult (at least that's what I've noticed). Yes, the girl should have known better, but between the two, it is the guy that made it happen, and he was the adult between the two, so it is he (of the two) who receives the brunt and the blame.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 08:50:59 pm »
Age of consent.  Same way she isn't old enough to buy cigarettes booze or vote.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2011, 12:01:26 am »
^^ That's how it seems like it should be, but I've heard of cases where one person gets charged even when they're both underage. Usually the guy in the case of sex, usually the girl in the case of sexting. Go figure.  :-\

^^^ The theory behind statutory rape is that even if an underage person knows what sex is, they don't fully understand all the emotional and rational consequences, and are therefore unable to give consent. Without consent, sex is rape - this would be true whether the person is under duress, too drunk/drugged to know what's going on, or incapable because of age or mental handicap.

If you compare it to contract law, it might make a little more sense... a contract is obviously invalid if one person forced the other to sign it at gunpoint. But it's just as invalid if one person uses the other's hand to sign it for them while they're unconscious, or if it's written in another language and the person who does understand what it means lies to the person who doesn't understand it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:01:43 am by randompvg »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 11:36:25 am »
If you compare it to contract law, it might make a little more sense... a contract is obviously invalid if one person forced the other to sign it at gunpoint. But it's just as invalid if one person uses the other's hand to sign it for them while they're unconscious, or if it's written in another language and the person who does understand what it means lies to the person who doesn't understand it.

That's a very good way to look at it, both logically and (perhaps) legally.

Offline SpaceCubaLikesConan

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Tumblr
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 04:08:11 pm »
People are sick. That's why I hate peopl ^^(not trying to sound negative).
All I know is that both of those men aren't gonna be able to sit on their prison beds for weeks after the inmates are through with them :D *coughdon'tdropthesoapcoughcough*
But in all seriousness, I think those people should all be sent to Camp Gitmo. See? I found a good use for that place. I deserve a Peace Prize.
2014 line-up:

Robin- Young Justice
Sailor Vulcan - Sailor Moon/Star Trek crack crossover
Wiccan - Young Avengers
Allison Argent - Teen Wolf

Cons:
-Kumoricon
- BITEcon

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 10:27:00 pm »
All I know is that both of those men aren't gonna be able to sit on their prison beds for weeks after the inmates are through with them :D

They would if they were in Washington...

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 04:52:02 pm »
Con Survival Basics 101

1. If someone offers you food/drink dont accept it unless you know and trust them. If you see someone trying to offer drinks in wierd places (elevators/hallways/doorways) find a staff member and report it

2. ALWAYS keep an eye on your personal belongings. If someone wants to take a picture of you put your personal belongings in front of you where you can see it, not off to the side or behind you. If you need to go to the restroom take the items with you or have a friend guard it.

3. If someone is making you feel threatened/Uncomfortable find a staffer and report it. We will resolve the matter quietly.

4. The buddy system. Very important to travel with someone else. If you are going to wander off form your friends/family then LET THEM KNOW WHERE YOUR GOING! and make sure yo have a way to reach you. Cell Phones/Pagers.

Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 05:20:59 pm »
Yeah, i'm not even allowed to wander around con, especially outside, unless i have an older friend with me.

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 02:56:07 pm »
Yeah, i'm not even allowed to wander around con, especially outside, unless i have an older friend with me.

Saki you got me :D ill give you my cell so you have it for emergency if you need to contact me ill be there.

also those who wear skimpy cosplay or very revling costumes bring extra clothing for at night. night time you all can get into unwanted trubble bring jackets. to cover your top or extra pj pants. when heading back to the hotel you are staying at. its a good way to keep safe from weirdos

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2011, 02:57:22 pm »

Saki you got me :D ill give you my cell so you have it for emergency if you need to contact me ill be there.

Yes i do~ Plus like, ten other people too xD

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2011, 02:58:16 pm »

Yes i do~ Plus like, ten other people too xD

yes but your my cute little sisseh and i have to keep you safe o.o

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2011, 03:20:47 pm »
I'm not exactly comfortable with people calling me that >>;
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:54:10 pm by Saki-the-cat »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 10:19:45 am »
^ You can also rely on the Yojimbo, too.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »
Basically, this all comes down to common sense, people.

As long as you stay inside the hotel, you're in a (reasonably) safe place. Of course, if you are minor and someone older than you invites you into his hotel room, the correct answer is NO...or, at the very least, bring along someone who you can trust (parent or other guardian) to ensure that you are safe.

If you are planning to travel between the Hilton & the Red Lion after dark, PLEASE travel in groups of 3 or more.... if you are alone and really have to go to the other hotel, PLEASE speak to one of the Yojimbo and see if one of them would be willing to escort you there. It's far better to be paranoid & safe than do something risky and being VERY sorry you did that.... Yes, I would recruit an escort (or two!) to take me between hotels after hours... I don't care how "safe" people say the area is, I'd rather seem overly paranoid than take the chance with my personal safety.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 07:06:22 pm »
^ Well, with that in mind, downtown Vancouver is incredibly safe.  Most of the action will be taking place elsewhere.  However, it is always best to be safe in an unfamiliar area, as well as if you're more likely to be a target.  (:D I'd like to see what'd happen if someone tried something on ME outside of the con!)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2011, 09:12:08 pm »
Speaking of safety, I'm not only cosplaying a mercenary...I am one! (in my head anyway, lol) I say that to say, if you see me around and need an escort, I'd be glad to bring you into the fold of my friends and walk you between hotels. Just look for the big bearded dude with a gun for an arm! ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2011, 09:24:54 pm »
Im using my phone, so i didnt see the news story you mentioned. Can someone explain what happened? Also, i may take you up on that offer when we walk from the rave to our car if youre there

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2011, 09:30:47 pm »
Basically, some adult guy convinced a 13 year old girl to have sex (statutory rape), at an anime convention. There's more to it, but that's the gist of it.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2011, 09:31:51 pm »
I'm glad that there are so many nice people here on the forums  :)

Im using my phone, so i didnt see the news story you mentioned. Can someone explain what happened? Also, i may take you up on that offer when we walk from the rave to our car if youre there

Long story short, this 34-year-old guy (who had a past of raping two girls before this) met this 13-year-old girl at an anime con. They continued to be friends for a few months before the guy convinced the girl to sneak out of her parents house and have sex with him in the woods. Later she found out his true identity and found out that he was a registered sex offender. He is sentenced to three years in prison and three years probation

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2011, 12:30:53 am »
Wow thanks for explaining. Yea, so um depending on who is at the rave, ima attach myself like a barnacle to the biggest and strongest guy there and have them escort me back to my boyfriends car.