Author Topic: Video Games, Anime, J-Rockers  (Read 5684 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Video Games, Anime, J-Rockers
« on: August 27, 2005, 07:50:28 am »
I have noticed this with all the anime clubs I go to.
Video Gamers, Anime fans, and J-Rockers usally get squashed together at events. So what would you classify yourself under more even if you love more than one?

Me personally, I'm not into J-Rock that much, some okay.
I suck at videogames and dont have the time or patience (exceptions: DDR CRAZY, Nanaca Crash and Katamari Damacy)

I'm an anime nut *cough* Otaku... *cough*  :roll:  :wink:  :shock:  :D  :oops:

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 09:09:07 am »
Hmm... I don't game really... At all. Dx Like Woo. Pokemon games are what I play.
I Looove J-rock/Visual Kei/J-pop. This months Newtype has an article on Takanori Nishikawa (T.M. Revolution) and you can see his nipple! -uber blush- xDD I cut it out and now it's hanging on my wall. (Edit: The Article with the picture, not his nipple itself. x_x)
And Anime, of course. ;D Even if I seem like an otaku I won't call myself one. D: Tis a bad word.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 10:05:34 am »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
;D Even if I seem like an otaku I won't call myself one. D: Tis a bad word.

Oh come on, bad words are what you make of them. If someone calls themself something then clearly they don't see it as an insult.

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 10:08:28 am »
Quote from: "BlackjackGabbiani"
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
;D Even if I seem like an otaku I won't call myself one. D: Tis a bad word.

Oh come on, bad words are what you make of them. If someone calls themself something then clearly they don't see it as an insult.

True, but I still don't like the word. And then if you call yourself an otaku around non-anime fans then you have to explain the word to them and I like going into stupid detail so it takes about 5 minutes to finish and they hate me by 3. >_<

Offline MikaRin375

• Catgirl
    • http://www.freewebs.com/anime_rice
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 12:31:02 pm »
Yeah...I consider myslef more of a gamer.....well otaku over here in the U.S means its good but in Japan it means that you are a lazy bum who does nothing but watch anime and play games all day....so their saying basically you have no life >.< or its close to something like that.
Thinking of a new siggy ^.^

Offline oishiidesuyo

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 01:03:19 pm »
I guess i'm more of an anime fan. But I really enjoy j-rock. :3

...and what d'ya know, i'm cosplaying a game character.
[size=9]FOOL! two swords and a hat don't make a samurai!!![/size]
http://htttp://www.shiroikaze.deviantart.com

Offline Densha_Rockstar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 01:58:36 pm »
I'm a mix of video gamer and anime fan.  8)

Offline Nightblayde

• Sailor Scout
    • http://angelfire.com/rpg2/nightblayde
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 02:27:09 pm »
Mostly video games with anime as a CLOSE second.
BWAHAHAHAHA

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 03:08:40 pm »
I'm mostly an Anime-fan (prefer manga though).

I do like video games, DDR, consider myself "average" or so but I would have to say I lean more toward anime.

J-Rock, while I do like some of the fashion in it, I wouldn't consider myself a fan.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005, 06:31:58 pm »
I would consider myself a 'hobbyist'.  I just focus on whatever it is that I am currently into and that is about all I care about.  So, at the moment, I am just really into playing YuGiOh and watching Hong Kong films.  I am still into anime, but just not with the same zeal as last year...
The trick is not minding.

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 07:16:01 pm »
I would say that I am a mix of all three.

I like anime, I like playing video games, and I enjoy J-Rock.

I just don't think that I could classify myself under one category.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Phylicia

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 12:09:48 pm »
I used to be a big gamer, but now I play hardly anything but DDR and such music games... I used to be big on anime, but now I'm pretty much sick of the stuff, personally. I'm not much of a fan of j-rock... lol.

I consider myself to just be a person who's really interested in and in love with the products of japan and their pop culture. Because yeah, that;s prolly my largest interest that links me to Kumoricon.

(I'm being involved in the Fruits style swap panel, and running a para para panel [which SERIOUSLY is not totally related to games because the game is based off the dance]... and well, I am attending the ddr tourney @_@; hehee)

Offline PixeL

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 01:02:58 pm »
Quote from: "Phylicia"
I used to be a big gamer, but now I play hardly anything but DDR and such music games... I used to be big on anime, but now I'm pretty much sick of the stuff, personally. I'm not much of a fan of j-rock... lol.

I consider myself to just be a person who's really interested in and in love with the products of japan and their pop culture. Because yeah, that;s prolly my largest interest that links me to Kumoricon.

(I'm being involved in the Fruits style swap panel, and running a para para panel [which SERIOUSLY is not totally related to games because the game is based off the dance]... and well, I am attending the ddr tourney @_@; hehee)

same here, i watch anime sometimes i am still a gamer but my forte is parapara, japanese music and fashion.

Offline Misuteru

• Sailor Scout
    • DevART
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 01:18:45 pm »
I don't respect my gaming ability enough to call myself a gamer (still hasn't finished the original Halo)...I'm not +that+ much of a J-rocker as I only seem to like 1 or 2 songs from any music artist....

I'll call myself an anime fanatic for now...though I seem to fit in more with the 'fangirl' group...

Offline kaoru

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 01:27:16 am »
Umm.. Jrocker. >.> Eric would know. You would know. XD

Jrock is my life, without it.. I would be.. insaner. : o

Maybe I would have better grammar too.

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 10:33:43 am »
I shall be decicive and say that I'm an anime fan.
I like video games but I spend way more time and money on anime.

Also, I know very little about J-Rock and a song has to be REALLY catchy for me to like it when I can't understand them. Shonen Knife and Rammstein are the two biggest winners in that category. Not counting latin....
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline Paru

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 11:40:38 am »
Well I once used the nickname SF_otaku(no not the japanese Yahoo profile) to mean sci-fi then later SpecFic mean special Fiction. I'm more Anime then gamer and virutally no jpop, music tastes are not something i'm Really devoted to strongly.

Since anime isn't all Science fiction including some of my most favorites, i stasrted using special fiction as the label for scifi, fiction, fantasy, horror, etc.

Thou I started liking games first, even thinking about what Gamer means.
Never used the fanboy label never ever acted like the bad fanboy.
2009 Table Top staff
2010 Table Top staff
2011 RPG Staff
2012 Table Top Staff
2013 Table Top - MIA
2014 to 2017 Table Top Staff
The Munchkin guy

Offline lightlysalted

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2005, 10:30:06 pm »
I think I go like this:

1) Anime
2) J-Rock
3) Games

In some cases 2 and 3 may switch, but that's usually how it is. And they're really close to eachother too.... *nods*

Offline Dustin

• Catgirl
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/217341/
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2005, 02:03:10 am »
If anything, most people would call me an Otaku*.

However, I, myself, see myself as more of a rocker.

I LOVE music more than anything else in this world.

Dare I say it?

Even more than my Otaku* side.

Music has been my passion since my grandmother sang to me as a child. I love music that much, and because of it, I have a wide variety of music likes. I can't stand country music for some reason. The music just doesn't grab me.

Rock and roll, now thats where its at.

I believe people use music to express themselves through it. Their feelings, thoughts, emotions.

For all feelings, thoughts, and emotions in this world, there is music for it.

For the longest time I have been seriously contemplating learning Guitar and before the year is up I will have begun that.  A friend of mine is going to hook me up with a Fender Strat. What I really want though is a ESP F-2005 or an F-400FM.

As per musical inspiration, that would come, mostly, from Metallica's Kirk Hammett. I believe him to be the best guitarist in the world. Metallica's "Fade To Black" is my favorite song, and it justs an awesome muscial masterpiece. I also find Children of Bodom's Alexi Laiho to be awesome.

Unlike alot of people, I don't find Hendrix to be "God". However, that is because I believe he never reached his full potential due to his untimely death at such a young age. If he had lived on......thinking about the kind of music he could have made gives me the shivers. It would truley have been awesome.

I'm not prejudice either, I love Jrock aswell. :D

I've listened to rock from many different countries, and I must say, each has its own unique style that just grabs people. Jrock is, to me, considered Power Rock (Think bands like The Scorpions), with strong, solid riffs, and an excellent, rapid beat.

I love music so much that I even got into Indy bands, my favorite currently being Manditory. They're a band known for having one of their songs confused for Metallica's "St. Anger" back when it was first released.

Music was my first passion, and will always remain on top. My Otaku* side comes second.

Don't hate me for that though. ;__;

After that, I have various other interests. After my Otaku* side comes pro wrestling. Loved it for along time.

* I believe the term Otaku to apply basicly to anything you hold a strong interest in, thusly I count it to mean Anime, Manga, and Video Games.