Author Topic: Homestuck Troll Skin and Horns?  (Read 11745 times)

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
Homestuck Troll Skin and Horns?
« on: June 13, 2011, 04:00:52 pm »
Anyone know how to make their horns or what I use to make my skin grey?

I want to be one of the characters but the horns and skin are holdind me back.

I want to be either Tavros or Eridan(to get an idea of what horns I want)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
Re: Homestuck Troll Skin and Horns?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:03:15 pm »
For the horns, probably either just oven-bake clay over foil bases, primed, painted, and glued to a clear or black headband. For the grey skin, I've been recommended to go to Hollywood Lights in Downtown PDX. I hear they've got a nice makeup section with pro makeup that won't flake off.

Here's their website: http://www.hollywoodlighting.biz/about/hollywood_lighting.html

I'm going there for some green zombie makeup myself :) Both the brands they sell, Ben Nye and Kryolan I hear are really good.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:04:03 pm by lychee-twist »
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:25:02 pm »
Um...Okay...I guess I understand how to do the horns, I just have never done anything like that so...yeah. XD New to me(i'm more of a i have to see it and do it myself after that type of person anyway...XD)

At least it gives me somewhat of an idea of how to do them...wouldn't it be heavy though if it was made out of clay?

Um...where is "Downtown PDX" ???(I'm very bad with directions and I only really know about the Vancouver Area.....and even then when it comes to places like that I'm clueless)

And about the make up...is it hard to get off?

Sorry if it seems as if I am being difficult....  :'(  I've just never done this intence of a cosplay before, nor have I really made any cosplay myself...
The most difficult things I've done cosplay wise was make a Lavi's headband from D.Gray-man and do somewhat of an Italy curl from Hetalia...

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 07:13:31 pm »
Sorry. I didn't realize you've never tried this before. ^^;

The foil actually is to lighten the horns and it can add some base and strength.

From my understanding, the make up's not hard to get off. I think it's water based. Not sure. As far as the store, look at the website for directions.

Do you have a picture of what you want? That's the best place to start with all of this, actually. I tried reading Homestuck and just didn't like it so I don't know who you're talking about ^^; There's a wide variety of troll horns from the google search I saw. Short stubby horns to rather large horns.

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 10:41:53 pm »
It's okay....So the foil still has me a little confussed...so I make the horn shape out of foil and put clay on it? then paint it?

Kk. I think I understand about the make up. I'll go look it up and read what the website says. Thanks! (Wow I must be a failuer as a female...I don't even know what significance "water-based" has on make-up...XD LOL!)

Yeah.....Tavros has the longest horns I think

And Eridan's is like in the middle

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:34:26 pm »
OOOOOhhhh. Yeah. Those are WAY different from what I was thinking. Let me get back to you on how to do that. If you look up the cosplay progress thread, there is a cosplayer named LtCommanderRichie who's making HUGE horns. Her techniques will be tough and probably on the pricey side, but she knows what she's doing.

I'll try and think up a cheaper solution in the meantime. This is, uh, this is a doozey of a question. Much more than I thought originally XD;;

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 02:47:22 pm »
Oh gosh....Well for Tavros(the first pic) I'm not wanting to do them that big or thick... maybe like half of that size...

But in the mean time I'll look at LtCommanderRichie.\

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 08:50:49 pm »
I've done Latex horns and really there the best way to go, because there light weight and last longer. Plus they look better in photos.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 09:51:21 pm »
Is it possible for you to do a tutorial on it or link to the reference you used to make it? I've thought about using latex several times myself and haven't a clue where to start.

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 10:13:29 pm »
Is it possible for you to do a tutorial on it or link to the reference you used to make it? I've thought about using latex several times myself and haven't a clue where to start.
Yah i could do a tutorial, I'm also open for Latex Commissions.

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 10:16:50 am »
How much would you charge?

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 03:44:27 pm »
How much would you charge?
If you wanted really long horns like Tavros that would be $60 (with shipping, Paypal fees and tracking) But if you wanted Tavros's horns but at a smaller scale then it'd be $40 (with shipping, Paypal fees and tracking) If you want Eridan's it would be $30 (with shipping, Paypal fees and tracking)
The horns will be painted as well.

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 09:58:36 pm »
ah...Kk...I'll think about it. Thanks though!!!

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 10:41:06 pm »
ah...Kk...I'll think about it. Thanks though!!!
No problem  :D I know it's allot but id have to sculpt the horns, then make a mold, then cast the horns in latex and then finally paint them. Latex casting isn't cheap or easy but i've found it's worth all of the work. I'm also making a latex tutorial if you'd like to make your own.

Offline FullmetalApollo

• Chibi
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 10:48:05 pm »
That would be great! I'm trying to find the best way to make them so that I can maybe have this cosplay by Sakura-con or next Kumori-con.