Author Topic: What is a good brand sewing machine to make cosplay with?  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Blender

• Chibi
What is a good brand sewing machine to make cosplay with?
« on: May 27, 2011, 10:11:51 pm »
So I've been in the market for a sewing machine lately and I'm kind of skeptical as to which one to buy. Help please!

I would prefer one with multiple stitch patterns.

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
Re: What is a good brand sewing machine to make cosplay with?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 02:27:46 pm »
They're all pretty good. Just make sure you get one that is good quality (it doesn't look like it'll fall apart/break/lose pieces) and has the different stitch patterns. Most machines these days come with multiple stitching, so that should be easy to find. It mostly depends on how much you want to spend on a machine, and if you want anything more than just the multi-stitch.

Personally, I have a Singer (just your basic multi-stitch machine) and I love it. My mom has the exact same one, which I had been using for a couple years before getting my own. The Singer works well, and is pretty sturdy. My mom has had hers for about 5 years or so and is still going strong.

You just have to do some research online looking at different brands and decide if you want any fancy additions or not.
2012-14- Assistant Artist Alley Coordinator
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
Re: What is a good brand sewing machine to make cosplay with?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:40:37 pm »
I have a Singer as well. Look at which kinds of fabric that you work with to judge machine quality. Cute chiffon dresses are just fine on a little plastic machine, but sewing more than four layers of fabric can kill. There's also the factor of having settings appropriate for your conditions. Also consider buying something that surges, or acts in a similar manner.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins