Author Topic: A cure for HIV?  (Read 2747 times)

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
A cure for HIV?
« on: May 03, 2011, 01:52:21 pm »
Apparently, an HIV positive man has been successfully cured by a stem cell implant. They've done extensive testing on him and haven't been able to find any traces of the virus, so they're fairly certain that he's been 'cured.'

I trust you all know what HIV is, but here's some background info on viruses: There generally isn't a 'cure' for viral diseases; viruses aren't affected by antibiotics (because, you know, they're not bacteria), so the way of combating them is just treatment. There are anti-viral drugs, but prior to this stem cell implant there wasn't really a way of completely getting rid of a virus without completely relying on your immune system.

So the stem cell implant isn't just a way of curing HIV, but it's another huge breakthrough in medical technology: A way to cure viruses, like influenza, hepatitis B and C, and HPV.

Thoughts?
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: A cure for HIV?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 02:17:54 pm »
Since his treatments started in '07, I'd say that he could very well be cured.  I'm a little curious on what they mean by "genetically-engineered stem cells" though...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:01:45 pm »
Things that are not truly alive are the hardest to kill. Just like trying to kill off leftist propaganda. HA! Remember Stalin's Big Lie theory?

But will it work on the common cold, another infamous virus?

I am not going to your link, but were them adult stem cells, or ones form aborted fetuses, "embryonic stem cells"? Been hearing good things about adult stem cells every so often.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 07:03:52 pm »
^ It doesn't say.

I imagine it's as hard to kill as right wing propaganda, too. Remember Reagan's trickle-down theory?  ;)
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 07:31:28 pm »
^ It doesn't say.

I imagine it's as hard to kill as right wing propaganda, too. Remember Reagan's trickle-down theory?  ;)

Only you lefties remember that. Us more moderate types have been calling that Voodoo economics since spring of 1980 when who would become Bush 41 named it such.

Have Fun

Jay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 02:40:00 pm »
but were them adult stem cells, or ones form aborted fetuses, "embryonic stem cells"? Been hearing good things about adult stem cells every so often.

I've heard that nose cartilage (or something like that) has been proven to work on various things whereas the fetuses have yet to be proven.  I saw this thing where a girl had stem cells taken from her nose somewhere and were used for her operation, and it showed stats on organizations trying to make stem cells work, finding that one's own body worked as a better source than that of stem cells from aborted fetuses.  (Now I wish that I could remember where this was from).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 05:28:49 pm »
^ It doesn't say.

Only you lefties remember that. Us more moderate types have been calling that Voodoo economics since spring of 1980 when who would become Bush 41 named it such.

Meh, it's been back for a while now... only they came up with better sounding names, like "death tax" and "class warfare" to justify why the top 1% should pay a disproportionately light burden. Now instead of saying the money "trickles down", they claim "job creation" will be the result of cutting taxes on the wealthy. Same argument, different wording.

(The fatal flaw to the argument still being that the economy works, and jobs are created, when people spend money on goods and services. If you give a billionaire $100 million extra back on April 15, it doesn't "trickle down" - it goes into the bank or stock market, and both of those are much more about shuffling money around than they are the sale of goods and services. If you give someone from the middle or lower class $1000 back, they immediately spend it. )

Things that are not truly alive are the hardest to kill. Just like trying to kill off leftist propaganda. HA! Remember Stalin's Big Lie theory?

But will it work on the common cold, another infamous virus?

I am not going to your link, but were them adult stem cells, or ones form aborted fetuses, "embryonic stem cells"? Been hearing good things about adult stem cells every so often.

but were them adult stem cells, or ones form aborted fetuses, "embryonic stem cells"? Been hearing good things about adult stem cells every so often.

I've heard that nose cartilage (or something like that) has been proven to work on various things whereas the fetuses have yet to be proven.  I saw this thing where a girl had stem cells taken from her nose somewhere and were used for her operation, and it showed stats on organizations trying to make stem cells work, finding that one's own body worked as a better source than that of stem cells from aborted fetuses.  (Now I wish that I could remember where this was from).

Just saying as a matter of logic, not forum rules... it's not really fair to cast emotive aspersions on what she's talking about without being willing to look at her link or provide a contradictory one in return. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if it were a matter of formal debate, I believe doing so would be scored as unrefuted and unproven assertions, respectively.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline MiriaRose

• Bunnygirl
    • The Kingdom of Heaven
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 06:26:36 pm »
EDIT: lychee is right, this is gettin' a bit too political.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:33:07 pm by MiriaRose »
"Would you kindly. ."

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 06:30:31 pm »
Hearts to you both, but how's about we take the political debates elsewhere? This is news, while yes, having been around for a while, is very important. Left-wing and right-wing matters little in this conversation and is most certainly off-topic.

Several years back I remember hearing that some people in parts of Africa that have a heavy AIDS problem have begun living longer lives possibly due to minor human mutations. I don't have any basis, but does it sound familiar?
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 09:22:15 pm »
I hadn't heard that one Lychee.

And here I thought I was being more or less good by not saying some glib something about morality, and religion etc. lol
Have Fun

Jay

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 09:36:01 pm »
I had a feeling that was it, but the problem is that words can't convey emotion or when one is kidding ;) It's all good, Jay.

I'll google the AIDS story when I get the chance. I'm far too busy looking up sewing patterns at the moment ;p

I really hope that this story is the start of something better. I've heard for a while that there are people who are resistant the HIV, and I thought this man had leukemia and was given stem cells from marrow of someone who was resistant. I didn't know they were artificial. I'm not sure how that process works.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 09:47:55 pm »
I know Magic Johnson doesn't have AIDS, yet. It's been like 19 years since he made the announcement. Back in the 80s people were dying within months. Few seemed to make it more than 3 years tops. Although one of the very first victims was still kicking a while back.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 10:04:30 pm »
Magic Johnson has the huge benefit of pharmaceuticals. The parts of Africa I'm talking about don't even have access to malaria medicine. People who have access to medicine definitely can live full, long lives with HIV. It's usually just those who don't that don't live too long.