Author Topic: My boyfriend has Tuberculosis D:  (Read 2869 times)

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
My boyfriend has Tuberculosis D:
« on: April 24, 2011, 12:02:07 am »
He just told me yesterday and he wont be in school for 6 months (that eventually goes through the summer, then a little bit of the next school year too :-\)
Of course I cried my eyes out when he told me, but the bright side is that it's curable (thank God!).

This is my first relationship, we've only been together for 3 months, so I've never had to go through something like this before. I'm really sad (but not depressed), I don't know what to do next or how to feel. I feel more down than usual that I wont get to see him or be with him for another 6 months. I know my daily life wont be the same without seeing him every day.

How can I still go on? I'm trying not to think about him too much, but, argh! I'm just worried.
And should I get tested for it too? Because apparently he had it for a while, and didn't know .___.

(I dont have any of the symptoms, but best be on the safe side right?)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:02:50 am by agpgirl »
KUMORICON 2017
Mikasa Ackerman | Pikachu

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: My boyfriend has Tuberculosis D:
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 08:11:06 am »
I really don't know.  Is there a school nurse you can speak with about?  Sounds like something you might want to get a professional opinion about it if you're really concerned?  Plus, maybe you could speak with a counselor just to get some stuff off your mind?

You're a sweet person and I hope everything works out for you.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 10:24:29 am »
Be brave girly!
I hope he gets better soon♥

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 11:30:15 am »
Thats not something you hear every day.  Yes you should totally get tested, bugs like to bide their time to strike.

I wish him a speedy recovery and the best to you both.  Being apart will be hard but e-mail write letters and call and talk to each other.  Is he going to get a tudor to keep up with school or pullin out?
My friend has a sister who had bunch of medical things happen at once, one of which resulted in temp loss of memory of the last 3 years, and she had miss her senior year and start over next year.  She is doing much better now

What year of school are you two in?

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 01:07:02 pm »
My mom's a nurse, and when I heard there was an outbreak (somewhere, I forgot) I asked her about it.

The biggest issue with tuberculosis is that it is a very long recovery usually. It's still a dangerous disease, of course, but it's not as bad as it was in the Edgar Allen Poe days. From my understanding, most people don't do the "cough up blood" thing. I could be wrong.

agpgirl, you should get yourself tested, and the test is very simple. The most common one, the Mantoux test, is done by injecting a very, very, very tiny amount of tuberculin into the skin of your arm. You wait a while, two days at my clinic, come back, and if there's any reaction or change to it, then it's a positive ID. If you heal up, you're clean. It's a very common test, especially for parents with newborn babies. Tuberculosis is, (if I remember right please correct me if not) something that can lie dormant for a while, and 5-10% of the US population has got it without even knowing it.
Wiki on the test: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantoux_test

Don't freak out. Modern day medicine is awesome, and we live in a country with the best of it. Given it's HUGELY expensive with a lot of things, but America is kick-ass with healing people, and insurance companies like preventative medicine a lot more than they like curing a disease.

And, seriously, knock that "How can I still go on?" drama off. It's not the end of the world. He's just sick. Your boy will be just fine. Talk to him. I bet you he's just frustrated, gross-feeling, and lonely. He probably wants to hear from you. It'll give you the opportunity to tell him you're worried. If anyone knows how he is, it's him.

Also, look at this map: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tuberculosis_world_map_-_DALY_-_WHO2004.svg

It's a map from 2004 (so dated by 7 years but I would definitely argue still applicable) states that per 100,000 people in a given country, the color of the country indicates how many deaths by tuberculosis there were. The US is butter yellow. That means that in 2004 there were, on average, less than or equal to 10 deaths per 100,000 people. That means that maybe a couple hundred died of tuberculosis in a country who's population is around 2.5 million. Those are REALLY damn good odds in favor of the people. I can guarantee you that the people who did die were mostly babies or the elderly or those with compromised immune systems. I'm guessing besides his current condition, your boy is a healthy teenager. That's, like, right smack in having the best immune system of your lifetime.

It's all good. Kind of crappy right now, but it'll be fine I'm sure.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 01:24:47 pm by lychee-twist »
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:01 pm »

THANK YOU OH SO MUCH FOR THIS INFO!!!!! :)
KUMORICON 2017

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 10:17:14 pm »
No problem! I hope he heals up soon!
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline xLollicon

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 07:09:43 pm »
Arghh, thats terrible Abby D:
Yeah, i hope he gets better soon!
(but that means he wont be going to con with us huh?)

-This will be my first time at Kumoricon-

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 07:20:14 pm »
Thanks, and yup, no con for Kevin ='/
KUMORICON 2017

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 08:05:04 pm »
I hope you got tested. It's something our family thinks about more often than other diseases, as my great-grandfather died when my grandfather was 5. I think he picked it up in Cuba during the Spanish-American war.
Have Fun

Jay