Author Topic: Looking For Train or Bus buddies to SakuraCon  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
Looking For Train or Bus buddies to SakuraCon
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:42:55 am »
I thought it be really nice, fun, to have someone to travel with when going to SakuraCon thins year. I am going to buy tickets soon, but before I do I wanted to see if anyone else would want to go when I go so we have someone to talk with that we know likes anime and stuff. ^^

I was thinking of greyhound again, but train could be fun if I has someone to go with.

I am going there the 21st and leaving the 25th.

Greyhound (Bus)
Thu, 04/21   
Leave at: 09:05 AM
Get there at: 01:10 PM
Trip time: 4H, 5M
Cost: $61.60 online price for round trip
(Total for the round trip is 61.60. I would want the home trip one to be Mon leaving at 01:10 PM back in Portland by 05:35 PM)

Thu, 04/21   
Leave at: 10:40 AM
Get there at: 02:45 PM
Trip time: 4H, 5M
Cost: $61.60 online price for round trip
(Total for the round trip is 61.60. I would want the home trip one to be Mon leaving at 01:10 PM back in Portland by 05:35 PM)

OR

Amtrak (Train)
Thu, 04/21   
Leave at: 8:30 AM
Get there at: 12:00 pm PM
Trip time: 3 hr, 30 min
Cost: $88.00 online for round trip
($38.00 to get there, $50.00 to get home Monday leaving at 2:20 pm back in Portland by 5:50 pm.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:55:00 am by Roddy Manic »

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
Re: Looking For Train or Bus buddies to SakuraCon
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:14:01 am »
What? System down? I don't think so. >.>'

Internet Information Server crash confirmed. Manual restart...

Ha~hahahahahaha! You're a fool. Buy your tickets while you still have the chance to overpay the already ridiculous premium that snowballed from all the Sakuracon attendees and your indecisiveness. $61 is insane but then again, if you're really coming from PDX you're screwed regardless. Make sure you arrive at the station early! I'm on the same day schedule and I've been booked for several weeks in advance so I've been good. Everyone plans on going to Sakuracon by train and it's the easiest way to make it all happen! ;D

Scenario: PDX->VAN->KEL->CTL->OLY->TAC->TUK->SEA

It's a long very scenic and peaceful ride and it melts my troubles away. This is why I love the train so much. Anyway, you have 15 days to make a decision. After some work, the booking engine is up and running again(damn you SQL...) so make your choice.

If you're lucky you might see me on the afternoon Coastlight after KEL. I'll be the dead sexy anachronism in the saloon car offering great things to random people. You might be one of them. <3
{Death mode} D3 Started 17.May.2011 02:20
Magi: What are you doing?
Me: I'm putting a stop to this. Now.
Magi: You'll die.
Me: I don't believe that.

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:49:39 am »
*so confused* Maybe after I sleep I can understand that post better. But I really do not get most of that. ^^;

Last year I took the Greyhound and it was pretty empty bus most the trip. Thursday it was anyways. And it is $70 for the round trip if I don't do it online.

and, the Amtrak was down... the "Our booking system is temporarily unavailable." is what it told me.
But, round trip for Amtrak is "Total $88.00"

So... train would cost more. But would give more space. If I get someone who will for sure be there and take the train with me, at least to the con, I will do it train. but it is now worth the extra $27 if I will end up being alone.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 03:56:42 am by Roddy Manic »

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 04:19:59 am »
*so confused* Maybe after I sleep I can. but I really do not get what that is. ^^:;;;;;;
*complete Azumanga style zone out....*
I don't sleep, I wait. (๑╹ω╹๑ )
the Amtrak was down... the "Our booking system is temporarily unavailable." is what it told me.
But, round trip for Amtrak is "Total $88.00"
It should only be about $73. You're doing it wrong. :/
So... train would cost more. But would give more space. If I get someone who will for sure be there and take the train with me, at least to the con, I will do it train. but it is now worth the extra $27 if I will end up being alone.
Well if you're such an antisocial catastophe just go alone then. I'm doing a roundtrip on the coastlight and I love these routes so much that I prefer this way of travel over my car or the puddle-jumper. It took me a while to learn that it's not how you get there but that you get there. Amtrak pretty much makes that part cake. On Day 0, I'm hoping to see so many people that I missed from last year's Akicon and AX's VA panel. Good God they're ****ing good and they make me so happy. <3

I'll be spoiling my party in every dimension because they deserve it so much. Like me, they haven't had the chance to do much of anything that makes them happy for a whole year. My problem was mind-blowing pain and self-alienation. Their problems are simple lack of freedoms and I can restore them if only for a little while. This festival is going to feel like an AX clone and it will completely rock your face off. :)

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 05:03:33 am »
I am not doing it wrong. for those times that is what it comes to. on monday, the only one less then $50 is the one that leaves at 7:30 AM. I am not going to get up that early. monday is my "con over, time to sleep in and recover." day.

And I am not antisocial. The who point of this is to find people to hang with on the way to the con, to be social.

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 05:34:29 am »
I am not doing it wrong. for those times that is what it comes to. on monday, the only one less then $50 is the one that leaves at 7:30 AM.
Wow I guess others have already jumped on the chance. This looks like it's going to be busy today. O_o
I am not going to get up that early. monday is my "con over, time to sleep in and recover." day.
Haha I'm like that too. <3
And I am not antisocial. The who point of this is to find people to hang with on the way to the con, to be social.
K. I'll be on the one that leaves right after noon. :3

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 04:52:05 pm »
I am not doing it wrong. for those times that is what it comes to. on monday, the only one less then $50 is the one that leaves at 7:30 AM. I am not going to get up that early. monday is my "con over, time to sleep in and recover." day.

hey you! so i'm going at the same time you are on the amtrak :) but i'm coming back on the 5'oclock one on the 25th since it's cheaper. do you think you want to still go with me on the later one? if not i can change my ticket and ride with you? let me know!

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:43:26 am »
I really need to start sleeping betterr, things that should not confuse me do. ><
But, okay so... you ate taking the Amtrak there on the Thu, 04/21, Leave at, 8:30 AM one? But coming back on the Mon 25, on one that leaves at 5 o clock, is that pm? or am? I can bye the tickets to match yours today. ^^

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 09:04:10 pm »
this is my schedule lol so you don't get confused! XD
(i ride in first class to the con, and then regular on my way back. it's a nice way of relaxing before the giant calamity that is con XD AND we can ride with tom :) ironmonkey007 on the forums ^_^ oh! and do you have a room yet? cuz i'm still looking for one more room buddy :))

Thursday, April 21, 2011
500 Amtrak Cascades  (PDX  -  SEA)

Depart: 8:30 am, Thu, Apr 21, 2011
Arrive: 12:00 pm, Thu, Apr 21, 2011
Duration: 3 hr, 30 min
Amenities
1 Adult
$38.00

1 Business Class Seat
$14.00

Subtotal   $52.00

Monday, April 25, 2011
509 Amtrak Cascades  (SEA  -  PDX)

Depart: 5:30 pm, Mon, Apr 25, 2011
Arrive: 9:00 pm, Mon, Apr 25, 2011
Duration: 3 hr, 30 min
Amenities
1 Adult
$43.00

1 Reserved Coach Seat

Subtotal   $43.00
Purchase Total $95.00

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 06:33:19 am »
Okay. All times the same as yours. The back trip was $50.00 for me, they probably raised it since you got yours. ^^ Yeppy! I have travel buddies!

And I do already have a room. Sheraton like I always do. But I am taking the risk of it not being in my name this year. But the girl I am rooming with seems really nice. ^^

I am so excited now!! *dances a little.*

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 07:15:30 am »
That's a little more than the cost of my entire round trip. :/

I always find it better to go to cons in coach and return home in first class. There's something very peaceful about the ride home and the 1st car is always nice and quiet compared to the rest of the train. <3

Still, I've always liked train food so I guess the seating doesn't really matter all that much to me. Same train same ride.

When you arrive at PDX station, make sure you do so about 20-30 minutes early. Check in at the front desk through the appropriate line and don't let the line kill you. Make sure you put your return ticket in a safe place during the con and keep it on you on the return day. If it's your first time going back to PDX from SEA, just keep in mind that the route is always screwed up during the afternoon due to traffic(trains only wait on other trains...) and you should try your best to arrive about 30-40 minutes early. I'm not kidding.

Also, if you ever try tying this into flight coordination, the last train of the day from SEA is always impossible to get to from anywhere. Don't even think of coordinating a plane and a train within 3 hours of each other. I always make it within 3 minutes of departure but I'm really good. Everyone else will screw that up big time. x_X'

Other than that, it sounds good. You're all set. You two have fun. <3

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 09:18:56 pm »
Okay. All times the same as yours. The back trip was $50.00 for me, they probably raised it since you got yours. ^^ Yeppy! I have travel buddies!

And I do already have a room. Sheraton like I always do. But I am taking the risk of it not being in my name this year. But the girl I am rooming with seems really nice. ^^

I am so excited now!! *dances a little.*

sweet :) and i will be there at 7pm sharp! on the 21st :) and i will be wearing sakura from street fighter (look at my siggy lol) shouldn't be too hard to spot me XD

yea i saw that prices went up :/ that sucks, dudez =~= but hey! train buddies ~(>w<)~ actually we have 1 more train buddy XD so yea :3

and good to hear you have a room :) and i think i found the last person XD squirrel on the forums (she used to be koneko on here) and yea i usually room with my friends, or people i have met IRL before, at least once... cuz i really don't want another new year's incident to happen.
maybe next year we can room together ^_^ i usually rent the room out XD

Offline Roddy Manic

• Catgirl
    • Want-To-Be-Optimist
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 09:55:23 pm »
Awesome! I'll try my hardest to be there at 7am too. And yeah for more travel buddies! I have no cosplay this year. But I might cut/dye my hair. Debating on that. but I will most likely still look like I do in the pics I posted in the pic page. ^^;

If you will be at the Sheraton next year then maybe, that would be cool. *is a Sheraton fangirl, for SakuraCon anyways.* I am a little scared about my roommate this year. But that's because of me having to drive home at 7am after not sleeping for about 32 hours from the .. third to last con I went to? Or maybe it was the 4th to last. (The room owner had invited someone else to stay in the room for free and the sight I saw I can not get into detail here, and still can not get out of my head. But it was a bad experience and what made it worse is I knew the person and never thought because of who she was that she would roomstuff. But I didn't leave because of that really, I never ask for my money back or anything, I just got my stuff and left because of what I saw. The scariest 2 to 3 hour drive I ever drove do to the lack of sleep. >< I still have the jeans I accidentally grabbed when trying to pack up my things in the dark though, around here somewhere. >< ) I can not really just get up and drive home from Seattle. ^^; But I feel I can trust the room owner for Sakuracon this year. When we talk she seems very nice and seems like one who would not brake rules or brake other roommates trusts. And she is always making sure everyone in the room is okay with all who is staying in it, and when/if anything ever changes.

Offline luvan1me

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 10:33:35 pm »
well that sounds good -w-b

and i don't usually do sheraton, cuz they are very expensive, BUT i have a hilton card, so i think they are under them? oh wait nope lol i only go under w/e hilton hotel is, cuz i get points and then i can use those points to stay for free nights -w-b

can't wait! >w<

Offline DaemonForce

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 11:07:21 pm »
A lot of scary
Wow. I'm sorry you had to go through trauma at a con. I know how you feel. The group before last really scared me to death, it was so horrible. The host wouldn't communicate with me at all before meeting on Day 0, completely stuffed/trashed the room, scared me by getting herself lost and sick, couldn't set equal ground rules for everyone and just made me completely uncomfortable the entire time. She forces so many responsibilities on herself that she didn't seem the type at all. Oh well. We all know room stuffing is bad but some people are just so incredibly irresponsible that it hurts really badly. I tried putting up with hell but I learned that bad situations only get worse. Believe me you did the right thing by just leaving. Your eyes are too precious to be blinded by a bunch of scary. :/

Strong screening is the key to successfully rooming with new people. I'm so happy with Sakuracon because I actually know two of the people I'm rooming with and I know they're not crazy or panicked. The fact that they don't pack their whole lives in bunches of bags and can get along with people without doing/saying anything stupid is a plus. Seeing as how Sakuracon is so huge and so much is nearby, this is going to be more fun than last year's AX. I'll finally be able to relax and be myself here. Hopefully you will too. It all starts by getting there and without the train, very few of us would be able to do anything. I'm so glad I live next to a historic station.

If any of you appreciate the company of a first class citizen on the ride up to Sakuracon, I'm on the 506 during the 21st and the 11 Coast Starlight coming back on the 25th. Catch me in the food car and I'll buy you something good. Oh, and mind the gaps on King St. <3