Author Topic: Maid Cafe 2011  (Read 4523 times)

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
Maid Cafe 2011
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:59:16 pm »
I've always really wanted to be a part of a Maid Cafe at a convention. So I figured, why not organize one at our very own Kumoricon?
The Cafe would be a panel that we could hopefully hold for a couple hours around 3-5 on each of the two full days. We would need Maids as waitresses, and a Maitre d' and someone trustworthy to handle the cash.
Not to mention food! We would need the ability to put together Coffee, Tea, and we would have to buy some biscuits of a couple different types. 

This would be a difficult and (at first) costly enterprise, but if we work hard and plan well we can earn back the money that was put into it. Unfortunately, you would not get paid for being involved in this unless we magically make a profit.

Here is what's needed:

Maitre d'- The Maitre d' is the person who stands at the door, welcomes people, seats them, and (for this) hands them menus. They would also handle the cashbox.
I can cover this job.

Kitchen Master- This person would be setting biscuits on plates, getting tea set up, making coffee and generally filling orders. It would be great to have two of these.
This job requires great organization and preferably a food handler's license.

Graphic designer- Someone who is very good at designing formal-looking items, to design the menus.
 Would not need to be at the actual event.

Busboys- These people would clear the tables after the guests left, and also wash dishes.
I know this job seems like it's not a lot of fun, but it's very important.

And most importantly, The Maids! The Maids would act as waitresses. Take orders, bring food, collect money and bring it to the Maitre d', generally be cute. 

We would also have to obtain a large amount of china and tablecloths.

Obtaining food would also be important.

Everybody would wear a uniform, even the kitchen Masters and Busboys. Costumes can be cosplay or just a uniform, but you have to bring your own.

When we figure we have enough people to actually make this happen, I will apply for the panel.
If you say you want to be involved, you have to ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO DO IT. No backing out.

Application form:
Name:
Forum Name:
Job:
Why you want to do this:
Anything else you can donate: (teacups, tablecloths, plates, tea, etc. It would be absolutely wonderful.)

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
Re: Maid Cafe 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:59:43 pm »
I'm grabbing this second post for a list of people involved.

Name: Sora
Forum Name: Soramunesanzun
Job: Maitre d'
Why you want to do this: Dude, I'm organizing it.
Anything else you can donate:I will bring coffee beans and hopefully a grinder. Also my incredible organizing skills.

Maids

Name: Nikki
Forum Name: ~boogiepop~
Job: Maid
Why you want to do this: Always wanted to try and do something like this, everytime I get involved things end up falling through
Anything else you can donate: I am crafty, I donate my crafty-ness to help with craft related things.

Name: Colleen
Forum Name: Vampire-Kameko
Job: Maido~!
Why you want to do this: Becuase I've always wanted to and there is someone I've been wanting to do a maid outfit for! Also, I've tried doing this and the Ouran Tea Party and neither ended up happening. Sad So I want to be a part of one! Cheesy
Anything else you can donate: I might be able to donate stuff, I'll try for sure, but we shall see.

Name: Mew
Forum Name: MewHaruko
Job:  Maid, Graphic Designer
Why you want to do this: I love being a maid and helping and being Moe~ And I love graphic arts, I have some examples.
Anything else you can donate: (teacups, tablecloths, plates, tea, etc. It would be absolutely wonderful.) I don't think so. D:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:27:51 pm by Soramunesanzun »

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:28:47 pm »
I would check with the con to see whats allowed with the con space.  I know for past events that anything food event on con space needs to be bought from the hotel, and they charge a lot for a little hot water.  Thewre have been exceptions, like for things you can't buy at the hotel.  Thats how uwajimaya's can sell Japanese snacks
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:46:12 pm »
Yeah, definitely make sure that you can have food and stuff. I was part of a maid cafe at Akicon, and we were planned to basically serve food the hotel had, and like 30 minutes before the cafe was suppose to open they decided they didn't want us to do it. It really sucked.
(In fact, it might be a good idea to check with whoever is in charge of stuff like this for Kumoricon, and see if the maid cafe can be set up where the hotel sells snacks or something. That would cut out the problems of food that could be served and the such.) It would be spendy and not maid-y but if you could get them to agree that would solve a lot of problems.

Also if you need help I'll lend a hand. I'll be staying at the hotel this year and I've already got a maid outfit that I was suppose to wear at Akicon.

Name: Nikki
Forum Name: ~boogiepop~
Job: Maid
Why you want to do this: Always wanted to try and do something like this, everytime I get involved things end up falling through
Anything else you can donate: I am crafty, I donate my crafty-ness to help with craft related things.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:55:24 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
    • I will reject your reality and substitute it with my own...here.
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:02:40 pm »
Name: Colleen
Forum Name: Vampire-Kameko
Job: Maido~!
Why you want to do this: Becuase I've always wanted to and there is someone I've been wanting to do a maid outfit for! Also, I've tried doing this and the Ouran Tea Party and neither ended up happening. :( So I want to be a part of one! :D
Anything else you can donate: I might be able to donate stuff, I'll try for sure, but we shall see.

I really hope this works out! I'd love to be a part of it!

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:16:59 pm »
Application form:
Name: Mew
Forum Name: MewHaruko
Job:  Maiter'd, Graphic Designer
Why you want to do this: I love being a miad and helping and being Moe~ And I love graphic arts, I have some examples.
Anything else you can donate: (teacups, tablecloths, plates, tea, etc. It would be absolutely wonderful.) I don't think so. D:

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:24:56 pm »
They're talking about having an outside-con cosplay cafe in this thread: http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=13524.0

But for something at-con, you need to talk to Relations (relations@kumoricon.org) about the food/hotel questions and Programming (programming@kumoricon.org) about whether it can be done as an event. Personally, I love the idea... but I have a nasty feeling the hotels are going to stomp all over it.  :-[
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:25:30 pm by randompvg »
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 06:26:27 pm »
@randompvg I know about that thread, and that's not what I want. :D

@mew would you be willing to be a maid as well? I'm planning on covering the maitre d' job most of the time. Also, can you pm me an example of what you have in mind for menus?

I am planning on checking with the hotel. I just wanted to make sure this is something we could make possible if it was okayed first. That is something I already had in mind, but thanks for making sure.

I wish this con was at an actual convention center- that would make it much easier to do.

There have been exceptions, like for things you can't buy at the hotel.  Thats how uwajimaya's can sell Japanese snacks

This gives me a really good idea. What if we "anime-ize" it by putting a couple sticks of Pocky with the tea, Apollo chocolates with the coffee, etc etc? we could probably sell Japanese snacks instead of biscuits, if that would make it easier to get the event. (also, it would be awesome.)

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 06:51:16 pm »
@randompvg I know about that thread, and that's not what I want. :D

@mew would you be willing to be a maid as well? I'm planning on covering the maitre d' job most of the time. Also, can you pm me an example of what you have in mind for menus?

I am planning on checking with the hotel. I just wanted to make sure this is something we could make possible if it was okayed first. That is something I already had in mind, but thanks for making sure.

I wish this con was at an actual convention center- that would make it much easier to do.

There have been exceptions, like for things you can't buy at the hotel.  Thats how uwajimaya's can sell Japanese snacks

This gives me a really good idea. What if we "anime-ize" it by putting a couple sticks of Pocky with the tea, Apollo chocolates with the coffee, etc etc? we could probably sell Japanese snacks instead of biscuits, if that would make it easier to get the event. (also, it would be awesome.)

Yes, I am willing.
Also, I will pm you about themes.

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 07:08:12 pm »
@mew Thanks, dear. I'll put you in as that.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:23:55 pm »
Ooh! Ooh! I have a water heater we could use for tea! It only does one big cup worth at a time but it's fairly quick! About 30 seconds to heat it enough to burn your tongue!

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 07:27:11 pm »
That would be awesome. If it's that quick, it's good, especially since we're doing smaller cups of tea (enough to fill a classy teacup)

Also, guys, bags would be easier to make en masse unless people have teacups.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »
What do you mean bags? :O

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 07:49:51 pm »
What do you mean bags? :O
I think tea bags. > u <

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 08:02:21 pm »
Yes, teabags. Sorry owo

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 11:16:36 am »
Will there be entertainment? Or would it just be kind of a place to relax, get some tea and just talk?

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 12:12:25 pm »
I originally planned on there being no entertainment, as that would be a whole other set of problems to organize.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 12:14:12 pm »
I think pictures are good enough. Like paid pictures. I wanna buy a Polaroid camera. :D Some maid cafes play card games or simple games to win free pictures and stuff. Nothing too bad.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:14:39 pm by Vampire-Kameko »

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 12:17:43 pm »
Another question > u <
So, I'm designing the template right now - is there a particular size you had in mind?

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 12:25:41 pm »
Colleen, I like that idea. If we get enough maids, we can implement it.

Mew, I'd like half a page if you can.

Offline Coconutty93

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 12:43:05 pm »
Sounds great! And I'm definitely getting a polaroid camera, so they'll be instant print! Although film is expensive so I'll see how much I can get.

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 10:53:31 pm »
Name: Kori
Forum Name:  Kori123 
Job:  Maid
Why you want to do this:  My friend is planning to set up her own cosplay cafe and the practice would be nice.  Plus I just bought a bunch of maid outfits and have no reason to wear them at the con and want a reason XD
Anything else you can donate:  My mom has a huge collection of tea sets though most of them are themed with animals or flowers or what have you.  I can help gather items and such too if needed.

Offline steelychan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 10:56:26 pm »
... i really wanna do this... but im not sure i can fit it into the staff shifts as well. ill talk to brandon (the master of all our schedules) and see what i can do.... but i really wanna be a maid!
Kumoricon 2011 cosplays:
Day0: Hunny (Ouran Host Club) COMPLETE
Day1 (possibly late night panels): Ran Mao (Black Butler) 50%
Day2: Kaoru Hitachin (Ouran Host Club) 90%
Ball/Rave: May (pokemon)
Day3: pirate

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 01:45:50 am »
Sorry guys, I'm going to put the nix on this really fast.

Outside food and drink is not allowed at the hotel in event space.  If you want to run this as a panel at con, you would be required to go through hotel catering for everything you serve, and at their prices.  You would not be able to provide any of it yourself.

Also, except in rare occasions, we do not allow charging at events, especially by attendees (the tea parties/sake tasting tickets that have been done in the past were sold by staff members to offset the catering charge.)

From what I understand about convention centers, no it wouldn't.  Typically, they also have a food service you would have to go through (have you seen this at Sakuracon?)

Uwajimaya is a special case... they offer limited snacks and they are in the dealer's room, not con space itself.  The couple of times we had NekoPan Bakery was also special circumstances.. we haven't been able to have them back.

It's a neat idea guys, but it's a hard one to make work.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 04:59:43 pm »
Okay then.