Author Topic: Buying fabric online?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
Buying fabric online?
« on: January 15, 2011, 02:19:09 pm »
Going around to all the local fabric stores in Eugene and Portland isn't getting me what I want, so I was wondering if any of you Kcon forum people have any experience with online fabric stores and could recommend me some. Also, any dos and don'ts when fabric shopping on the internet?
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Re: Buying fabric online?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 02:26:57 pm »
DON'T: use Joann's online store. I have in the past, and it's nice and all, but my god it takes like a month for your fabric to get anywhere near you.

Fabric.com and denverfabrics.com are two good sources of fabric. If you're looking for dupioni silk, silkbaron.com is fantastic.

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05:36 am »
I've actually had some amazingly good luck on Ebay. I was looking for some really obscure fabric and I was pretty sure I was either going to have to jerry-rig it myself or costum order it, but I found a guy selling tons of it on Ebay.
W00t.

The thing is, some of them try to trick you into thinking it's really cheap when it's not. Always check how much they're shipping it for and check all the details.

The fabric I bought, while it was an excellent find, came smelling a bit like smoke (something I failed to see mentioned on the ebay page) and I had to air it out for a couple days so it didn't bother my asthma. So if that kind of thing bothers you, be sure to ask. SEllers are usually helpful and friendly, but you can always check a sellers rating just to make sure.
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 11:10:53 am »
Richie: Thanks for the tip!
Sorry I didn't respond before now, the Kcon forums failed to let me know anyone posted in this thread.

Ticra: Ha, I didn't even think to check on Ebay. I guess you really can get anything there.
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 04:51:03 pm »
I can personally testify for Deverfabrics.com. They are good and usually if I cannot find a fabric at my local stores I can find it there.

Great anime review site! http://www.otakureview.net/

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 11:15:50 pm »
I shopped from http://www.syfabrics.com/default.aspx myself.  I liked what I got.

They do offer swatches for 1 dollar if you want a sample of the fabric which is really nice.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc