Author Topic: Getting in shape  (Read 287379 times)

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
Re: Getting in shape
« Reply #700 on: October 15, 2012, 07:54:34 am »
Totally happy this morning...my skinny jeans needed a belt this morning.

Offline Kumi4eva

• Chibi
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #701 on: November 09, 2012, 10:57:08 pm »
Lost 50 pounds thus far, soon to my Christmas goal weight. Going to the gym on my days off then going to start going before work.

Gaining muscle and starting to really notice the change. Must stop eating food after work though, its messing up my schedule.  ::)
Kumoricon 2016 costumes:
Frozen: Elsa - 30%
Black Sails: Anne Bonny - 0%
The Last of Us: Ellie (winter) - 75%
Maybes:
Kat - DMC
Annie - Dead Rising

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #702 on: November 14, 2012, 01:01:47 pm »
Lost 50 pounds thus far, soon to my Christmas goal weight. Going to the gym on my days off then going to start going before work.

Gaining muscle and starting to really notice the change. Must stop eating food after work though, its messing up my schedule.  ::)

Don't skip meals tho

Offline Kumi4eva

• Chibi
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #703 on: November 17, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »

Don't skip meals tho

I don't, I get a break every 3-4 hours which I get a snack or a lunch, but I've stopped eating late!

I can't eat after 5pm or 6pm because my body won't process the food before I go to sleep.
Kumoricon 2016 costumes:
Frozen: Elsa - 30%
Black Sails: Anne Bonny - 0%
The Last of Us: Ellie (winter) - 75%
Maybes:
Kat - DMC
Annie - Dead Rising

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #704 on: November 25, 2012, 05:29:33 pm »
Current Status: I'm 25. I wanna say 5'5"....Not 100% there though..I don't know my weight..We don't have a scale..And it's been quite some time since I went to the doctors and I forgot what it said then, but it wasn't pleasing..

Goal: Get back to where I use to be..I spent some time away from home and got super depressed (not gonna get into that here though) and when I get like that, I eat (like most people). so I gained some weight..Not a hell of a lot, but enough to notice pretty bad. I use to wear a size 32 pants (normal male size for skinnier) and a size, I wanna say, 7-9 in female (I wore skinny jeans a lot then). Hoping to get there or thinner. I want to do some crossplays and lolita which means I gotta get myself back down lol Good thing when I'm thinner I get mistaken for a girl..Or that crossplay wouldn't work lol

Plan to reach goal:
I really haven't started anything yet.But I will start walking a few miles a day, then taking in less calories. Soon we hope to get an exercise bike in my house 9my dad's GF uses them too so yea) then when I get a jo I'll be moving more, and have money to join a gym.

Offline toonafeesh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #705 on: November 25, 2012, 10:39:13 pm »
Well, it's been a while since I updated.
I'm 17, 5'4, and currently 150lbs. I have already dropped 10lbs in the last two weeks because of swim season starting back up, but I would really like to be 125lbs by summer. So basically, I'm going to be relying on Swim Team, extra practices, Dryland, and the upcoming Musical to get in shape, as well as eating as healthy as a highschooler can ;)

Offline PaigeLoe

• Cabbit
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #706 on: December 02, 2012, 11:58:45 am »
Current status
I am 20 years old, 5'3" (ish?), and 120lbs at my heaviest. For flexibility, I can touch my toes, but that's pretty much it...
Goal
Tone, endurance, and flexibility! I am technically at a healthy weight, so I would like to tone the little muscle I have, and become WAY more flexible. My main cosplay for next year is Crona, and I would like to be able to bend backwards! Crona makes such awesomely stretchy poses look easy, and I'd like to do the same.
Plan
I have been trying to wake up early enough to eat a healthy breakfast and pack a lunch and/or snacks, but I need to wake up even EARLIER so that I can either walk or bike to school. This will not only save me money, but subtly help my endurance. There are different routes I can take that have varying difficulties, so my body doesn't get bored. I joined a rock climbing club at school, so  I can hopefully start that up again! When I was rock climbing 2-3 times a week, I noticed the best results for my body; plus I hate "working out", so this was a great exercise choice for me. I also want to start up dance again in the winter (it didn't fit in my schedule for fall), so that will help my flexibility a bit. I need to find a BEGINNERS yoga class in my area, but until then I will be adding a stretching regime to my morning/evening routine.

UPDATE!
*I've started climbing 1-2 times a week at my local bouldering gym c; It's so fun and I love that sore feeling that means I actually have some muscle
*All signed up for yoga and dance next semester ;3 woohoo!
Second Year-KCon13 Confirmed Cosplay: Crona Gorgon ,Kotoko AND Arrietty. Newcon12: Raven. Summer Cospaly: Ikki.

First Year-KCon12 : Haruhi Fujioka, Ryoga Hibiki

Offline Hikari-Alice

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #707 on: December 02, 2012, 07:46:34 pm »
Current Status: I'm 13, almost 14, and I'm around 5 foot, 5 inches. Last time I checked my weight(which was about a month ago for the doctor's), I was 152 pounds. My doctor said I was overweight, and I plan to change that. I'm working on flexibility at school for PE, so right now, I can touch my toes and barely touch the ground. As for my current body shape, I have the very desired hourglass shape, but my stomach area has the problem. There's a lot of fat there, and in my thighs. That's all that I'm concerned about right now.
Goal: My goal is to be 120-125 pounds(as found out from Kisa-chann. Thanks~) or to have a healthier body shape.
Plan to reach goal: Whatever I can do, really. Tips and advise are gladly appreciated. In the current home situation I'm in, the only time I have to exercise is on my way to school, during school, coming back from school and going back and forth to a friends house and library. I am slowly gaining my lost flexibility.

Please help me!
(Editted with more information of what I want.)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:40:41 pm by Hikari-Alice »
Not going. Very disappointed. But maybe next time. I'm not entirely sure though.

Offline Kisa-chann

• Cabbit
« Reply #708 on: December 02, 2012, 10:50:31 pm »
Current Status: I'm 13, almost 14, and I'm around 5 foot, 5 inches. Last time I checked my weight(which was about a month ago for the doctor's), I was 152 pounds. My doctor said I was overweight, and I plan to change that. I'm working on flexibility at school for PE, so right now, I can touch my toes and barely touch the ground.
Goal: My goal is to become in the range I'm supposed to be(I have no idea what that is) by summer at the least. So if someone can tell me what it is, I'd gladly appreciate it. I just want to have a healthier body shape for Ran-Mao from Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji.
Plan to reach goal: Whatever I can do, really. Tips and advise are gladly appreciated. In the current home situation I'm in, the only time I have to exercise is on my way to school, during school, coming back from school and going back and forth to a friends house and library. I am slowly gaining my lost flexibility for those difficult poses I am imagining.

Please help me!

I don't have any tips on how to reach your goal, but your weight range I think should be around 120-125? That's my weight range and I'm about the same as you (14 and 5'4"). I hope this helped! :)

Offline Hikari-Alice

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #709 on: December 02, 2012, 11:04:06 pm »
Current Status: I'm 13, almost 14, and I'm around 5 foot, 5 inches. Last time I checked my weight(which was about a month ago for the doctor's), I was 152 pounds. My doctor said I was overweight, and I plan to change that. I'm working on flexibility at school for PE, so right now, I can touch my toes and barely touch the ground.
Goal: My goal is to become in the range I'm supposed to be(I have no idea what that is) by summer at the least. So if someone can tell me what it is, I'd gladly appreciate it. I just want to have a healthier body shape for Ran-Mao from Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji.
Plan to reach goal: Whatever I can do, really. Tips and advise are gladly appreciated. In the current home situation I'm in, the only time I have to exercise is on my way to school, during school, coming back from school and going back and forth to a friends house and library. I am slowly gaining my lost flexibility for those difficult poses I am imagining.

Please help me!

I don't have any tips on how to reach your goal, but your weight range I think should be around 120-125? That's my weight range and I'm about the same as you (14 and 5'4"). I hope this helped! :)

That has helped bunches! Thank you so much.
Not going. Very disappointed. But maybe next time. I'm not entirely sure though.

Offline TeaCookie

• Cabbit
    • DA
« Reply #710 on: December 04, 2012, 09:21:37 pm »
Current Status: 16 (ill be 17 for the next k-con!) weight: 145-150 (cry) and i'm 5'2-3. hip problems.

Goal: Flat tummy! and skinny thighs XD that's all a girl ever wants though.  I'll be cosplaying Patty Thompson again from soul eater and i need the flat tummy for the belly shirt.  Also i was thinking about doing a Zebstrika (other than that it's a mystery)

Plan to reach goal: i have a thing for school to work out 5 hours a week.  (i hardly do it) but i'll start again and i'll go to the gym! work with the weights and the tredmill will hopefully help me to my goal.

KUMORICON 2013
Dean Winchester ?%
Pony cosplay 50%

Offline Kisa-chann

• Cabbit
« Reply #711 on: December 05, 2012, 03:53:56 pm »

Please help me!

That has helped bunches! Thank you so much.

You are very much welcome!

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #712 on: December 06, 2012, 10:22:21 am »
Anyone who lives near wilson high school want to get together for workouts on the track let me know.  I need workout buddies or I don't seem to do it.

Offline Hikari-Alice

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #713 on: December 06, 2012, 04:17:25 pm »
Anyone who lives near wilson high school want to get together for workouts on the track let me know.  I need workout buddies or I don't seem to do it.

Depending on what you mean by "near". But I go to a PPS school too, so it's probably not that far.

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #714 on: December 06, 2012, 05:52:12 pm »
I'm not in High school but I live next door and use the track when I can.  If anyone wants to go to the track and do Medicine ball, resistant band, weights, and kettlebell workouts with rounds on the track.....cool

Offline toonafeesh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #715 on: February 05, 2013, 11:59:37 pm »
Current Status: 16 (ill be 17 for the next k-con!) weight: 145-150 (cry) and i'm 5'2-3. hip problems.

Goal: Flat tummy! and skinny thighs XD that's all a girl ever wants though.  I'll be cosplaying Patty Thompson again from soul eater and i need the flat tummy for the belly shirt.  Also i was thinking about doing a Zebstrika (other than that it's a mystery)

Plan to reach goal: i have a thing for school to work out 5 hours a week.  (i hardly do it) but i'll start again and i'll go to the gym! work with the weights and the tredmill will hopefully help me to my goal.

Please don't hate me for this, but it's what I'm doing for SakuraCon:

Monday: P90X (If you can find it on YouTube, even better. But it's this crazy ab workout that my school is making us do!)
Tuesday: Yoga (Even if it's just stretching, you'll need a break after P90X!)
Wednesday: INSANITY! (Yes, the craziest workout on the planet. I've done it twice at school, and I'm already gaining abs! It is INSANE so only do it once a week.)
Thursday: Pilates (Like Yoga, it stretches everything out, but helps strengthen your core as well. I had to do a lot of this when I was a dancer)
Friday: Swim/Walk/Jog (If you can do any of these things, believe me: it helps! I have REALLY bad hips too, so if you have access to a pool, I would say that is your best shot. Even if you can't do a lot in the beginning, just doing laps will help keep you trim and in shape even if you're not doing a crazy workout)

Now mind you, this may not be the best option. It's just a suggestion. I've been athletic my whole life, but a bit on the porky side of athletes. This is just what I'm doing (with a little adjustment with swimming [every freaking morning at 5:30am!!]) to get in shape for Con.

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #716 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:01 pm »
Age 16. Weight ~ 120, height = 5'6". My goal is to gain flexibility so that by the time kcon rolls around I can perform splits, or at least something close to it.
Kumoricon 2014: Possibilities - Female Rock Lee (Naruto). Female Mako (LoK). Poison Shroom Toadette (Mario). Hawkeye (Marvel). Vaporeon (Pokemon). Izzy (TDI). Maskless Deadpool (Marvel). Jubilee (Marvel). Pacific Rim character.

Offline Jotaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #717 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25:47 pm »
Current Status:  20, 5'3", 135~130 (I'm guessing, I don't have a scale and am one of those who thinks it's better to NOT judge yourself by a scale anyway!)

Goal:
  120~125 by Sakuracon, then keeping it for Kumori!!! (and always ever and ever!)  Plus toning up.  Overall, I just want to feel healthier and strong. :)

Game Plan:

-Food:  Cut out all soda, high fructose corn syrups, and fast foods!  Switch entirely to whole wheat bread products, and reduce my bread intake to one slice a day (or one carb, such as pasta).  Start each day with fruits (as I read they are good for boosting you up in the morning!), add cinnamon to all the things possible, have my biggest and heaviest meal in the middle of the day--NOT AT NIGHT, and save light proteins and veggies (looooots of spinach yay! :D) for night time (absolutely no breads!)
I'm mostly following recipes from this site: http://www.blogilates.com/ which has lots of good workouts, too, for anyone who's curious!  I am tweaking some stuff, though, 'cause I don't believe in fake sweeteners.
-Body:  Currently I'm following this work-out plan: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfctzik7o71qfn9ofo1_400.png  Except I'm doubling each day!  For example, instead of 20 jumping jacks and 10 crunches on day one, I did 40 and 20 respectively.  There are two levels following this one, which you can find on the tumblr sourced on the image!

Currently I'm on day 11 of my work-out plan, and second week in to my healthy diet change!
I don't have a scale, so there's no concrete numbers to base off of, but I'm beginning to feel a bit slimmer, which is great!  The feeling healthier over-all thing is starting to perk up, too.  It's super exciting! :)
The hardest part about all this, is making sure I drink lots of water.  I don't like water so it's difficult to make sure I get enough. 8(

On a side note, I was wondering if anyone had any good blogs for healthy recipes perfect for people trying to lose/maintain a low weight?
Kumoricon '13 Lineup
Day 0; Pleinair (Disgaea)
Day 1; Eren Jaeger (Attack on Titan), Meenah (Homestuck)
Day 2; Aradisprite in morning (Homestuck)
Day 3; ??? Dunno either Eren or Pleinair

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #718 on: February 13, 2013, 03:36:48 pm »
I've been insanely lazy since I graduated college. So I'm going to try and turn it all around. I'm seeing fat in my stomach that should not be there and just all around feel out of shape. Sitting or laying in bed actually hurts my joints. With no change in diet, other then I actually have more food unlike when I was at college, I'm sure it's the being lazy and not walking to classes and stuff.

I have no idea what to start with, but probably will be pilates. The sad thing is I barely remember what I learned in my classes my first year of college, so I'm watching several videos on yt from "blogilates" to remind myself.

I just don't know what's over kill for a first workout and what schedule to keep. Should I do it mon-wed-fri, every other day, every day? I'm going to aim for every other day ideally.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #719 on: February 13, 2013, 06:09:01 pm »
Current Status:  28 years old, male, 6 ft 6 in tall, 182 lbs. during college I never had time to work out but now that I am graduated I have been going to the gym since shortly before Kumoricon 2012 and am currently roughly 20-30 lbs lighter than I was during the con. During High School I took a weight lifting class and learned quite a bit, including my minimum weight before gaining weight due to muscle gain being 175 lbs. I now go to the Black Iron Gym in my home town 5 days a week (Good job Nadene on getting your world record!) and am unsure if I have hit my minimum again yet or if due to my age my minimum has changed. Lucky for me my mom goes with me, but unfortunately I don't have anyone on my level to train with and in addition to that my rotator cuff was injured shortly before Christmas.

Struggles: allergens and auto-immune disorders often can not only be hard to work around, but the work arounds often involve foods that make weight loss and muscle gain a challenge. Injuries also slows things down as well, but there are safe ways around them as well.

Goals: To be toned enough to be physically attractive in case someone ever lets me into their heart ever again, to be healthy, and to hopefully be able to cosplay without being emberassed about my appearance.

Game Plan: Continue working out and work on trouble spots left over from my college days, keep my high flexibility, and to offer advise to anyone here who would like it. Please feel free to message me if you would like some advise as I have had quite a bit of experience in the gym and some experience with nutrition health. If I don't know the answer I will give an honest answer rather than making something up and can also ask my trainer, who as I have mentioned before, has trained world record holding body builders both male and female.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:10:34 pm by GregAtlas »
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #720 on: March 08, 2013, 11:32:57 am »
Hey, just curious, but I'm considering doing some sort of video series of exercise tips for cosplayers, focusing on stuff you can do from home on a limited budget.

Would there be any interest in something like that here
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #721 on: March 13, 2013, 10:52:55 am »
Yeah that would be a great idea. Lots of people can't afford a gym membership (though the price seems to be going down, there are a few that are only $10 a month)

Its been almost two months since I started really lifting and I have noticed a big change. My arms are getting bigger and I have a lot more definition in them now than I did before. I have lost about an inch off my stomach in one month. I take new measurements next Saturday. I hope I am down a little more. I know I lost a little more in my stomach, at least one cm since I measured a few days ago.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #722 on: March 13, 2013, 01:25:26 pm »
Congrats! Yeah, what many people don't realize is that even if they work different specific parts of their body such as the arms, even that will cause weight loss around the body area because of the increased metabolism. Every bit helps, though it is always best to focus on specific areas (along with proper stretching) for maximum effect.

If I were to make the video series, I could use show name suggestions. I had a show name for it last week while I was on the way to the gym but I completely forgot it. >.<
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:29:47 pm by GregAtlas »
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline NekSizzle

• Cabbit
« Reply #723 on: March 16, 2013, 09:11:24 am »
Congrats! Yeah, what many people don't realize is that even if they work different specific parts of their body such as the arms, even that will cause weight loss around the body area because of the increased metabolism. Every bit helps, though it is always best to focus on specific areas (along with proper stretching) for maximum effect.

If I were to make the video series, I could use show name suggestions. I had a show name for it last week while I was on the way to the gym but I completely forgot it. >.<

That's actually not at all true depending on how it's taken.  Spot training in many instances does less for you due to your body quickly becoming accustom to certain repeated exercises.  That and in the name of weight loss, a decent diet, various forms of cardio, and low weight high rep lifting will shed pounds rather quickly.

Now, if you want to tone/bulk and such, spot training starts being more effective when you dedicate workouts to muscle groups. 

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #724 on: March 18, 2013, 04:42:12 am »

That's actually not at all true depending on how it's taken.  Spot training in many instances does less for you due to your body quickly becoming accustom to certain repeated exercises.  That and in the name of weight loss, a decent diet, various forms of cardio, and low weight high rep lifting will shed pounds rather quickly.

Now, if you want to tone/bulk and such, spot training starts being more effective when you dedicate workouts to muscle groups.

What I was trying to point out is how just general exercise will increase the body's overall metabolism and sure beats out inactivity. Yes, your body does get used to certain workouts and hit plateaus but it is better than nothing even if it's low rep low weight. I don't know how that wasn't clear enough to understand since you are talking about the completely different topic of the difference between weight vs reps. Almost all exercises work the core muscles as well, but not as much as if you were to focus on it with crunches or situps for example.

Though, along the lines of that subject; I do prefer high rep workouts because they are usually less likely to injure and also allows to keep more flexibility and build leaner muscle. I've never much been a fan of strength training as much due to the loss of those advantages, but it sure does put a jump starter to the metabolism along with provide the typical sculpted muscle look. Strength training is also slightly less boring to do in comparison to more reps and is often one of the easier ways to deal with trouble areas.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #725 on: March 18, 2013, 12:03:59 pm »

What I was trying to point out is how just general exercise will increase the body's overall metabolism and sure beats out inactivity. Yes, your body does get used to certain workouts and hit plateaus but it is better than nothing even if it's low rep low weight. I don't know how that wasn't clear enough to understand since you are talking about the completely different topic of the difference between weight vs reps. Almost all exercises work the core muscles as well, but not as much as if you were to focus on it with crunches or situps for example.

Though, along the lines of that subject; I do prefer high rep workouts because they are usually less likely to injure and also allows to keep more flexibility and build leaner muscle. I've never much been a fan of strength training as much due to the loss of those advantages, but it sure does put a jump starter to the metabolism along with provide the typical sculpted muscle look. Strength training is also slightly less boring to do in comparison to more reps and is often one of the easier ways to deal with trouble areas.

I think Nek was trying to say that it is better to do an exercise that works multiple muscle groups rather than just one muscle group. For example doing squats works your back, core, and all of your legs is better for you than just doing quad extensions, or just hamstring curls.

As for the core exercises, yeah doing other exercises don't build your core AS much but they do work a lot to build the core. If you are doing free weight squats you have to engage your core quite a bit in order to do the move properly. I can do crunches till I am blue in the face and feel nothing. If I do pull ups my stomach is sore the next day.

It is still good for you to do crunches and other core exercises but don't do them expecting you will get a six pack because you wont (not unless your body fat is under a certain %). The best way to get a six pack is diet (really diet is about 75-90% of getting a six pack), and compound weight lifting exercises such as squats, deadlifts, pull ups, bench press, dips and so on, as well as cardio. Just doing 500 crunches will only build muscle UNDER the fat and can actually make your stomach look bigger. The muscles in your core do not burn enough calories to get rid of the fat, but the muscles in your legs, back and chest, can HELP get rid of that fat because as they get bigger they burn more calories. So many people think that they need to do x amount of crunches to get abs and actually exercise has nothing to do with it. It all comes down to body fat %, I think its something like under 15% for men and under 19% for women (I may be wrong), that is why you see really skinny guys that don't work out with six packs. Everyone has abs, the fat just hides them. And in order to get rid of that fat you need to focus on diet.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #726 on: March 19, 2013, 08:12:13 pm »
Welp, I started these diet pill things....And I know what you're gonna say, "they don't work" and all that jazz, but these, they are different..I weighed myself the day I started them (around noon after I took my first serving) then a week and a half later I weighed myself again and I had lost about 7 pounds..I'd say it's from also working out, but damn..I didn't..Like I didn't do anything other then normal walking in stores and such shopping..I'm starting now doing squats, squat thrusts, and sit ups in my room though. So yea. Hopefully I'll be back to my old body in notime and looking good as a girl

Offline NekSizzle

• Cabbit
« Reply #727 on: March 19, 2013, 11:08:07 pm »

I think Nek was trying to say that it is better to do an exercise that works multiple muscle groups rather than just one muscle group. For example doing squats works your back, core, and all of your legs is better for you than just doing quad extensions, or just hamstring curls.

As for the core exercises, yeah doing other exercises don't build your core AS much but they do work a lot to build the core. If you are doing free weight squats you have to engage your core quite a bit in order to do the move properly. I can do crunches till I am blue in the face and feel nothing. If I do pull ups my stomach is sore the next day.

It is still good for you to do crunches and other core exercises but don't do them expecting you will get a six pack because you wont (not unless your body fat is under a certain %). The best way to get a six pack is diet (really diet is about 75-90% of getting a six pack), and compound weight lifting exercises such as squats, deadlifts, pull ups, bench press, dips and so on, as well as cardio. Just doing 500 crunches will only build muscle UNDER the fat and can actually make your stomach look bigger. The muscles in your core do not burn enough calories to get rid of the fat, but the muscles in your legs, back and chest, can HELP get rid of that fat because as they get bigger they burn more calories. So many people think that they need to do x amount of crunches to get abs and actually exercise has nothing to do with it. It all comes down to body fat %, I think its something like under 15% for men and under 19% for women (I may be wrong), that is why you see really skinny guys that don't work out with six packs. Everyone has abs, the fat just hides them. And in order to get rid of that fat you need to focus on diet.
Aside from being spot on to what I meant, this post is full of truth.  Loads of people go for six packs and such by just trying to do sit ups and crunches every night...and then eating fast food and primarily unhealthy stuff.  Even by not doing any additional workouts, one would achieve better results maintaining a healthy diet and cutting sugars than heavy core exercises with an awful diet.

Also, core exercises are usually heavily avoided by casual 'work out-ers'  but the results from them pile up quickly.  Squats are soo good for you, as are most other core workouts. :)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #728 on: March 20, 2013, 02:42:19 am »
Yeah, I wasn't even talking about for getting six-packs either. In fact most serious long time weight trainers try to avoid them because if you slack off with the exercise they turn into pot bellies. :P

Yeah, part of the reason crunches and sit ups don't really get the job done is because they focus on the upper belly area and don't work the lower belly (hence the "ponch" people tend to get.) or even the sides of the belly. Pull ups are great focus for the abs area and works almost every muscle in the body too.

When I took weight lifting in high school I found that one of the best things to do to get rid of the lower belly was to do (for lack of remembering proper terms if there is one for this exercise) leg lifts, which involved bending the knees at 45 degres feet flat on the floor and lift up and touch the chest. 50 crunches, 50 leg lifts, 25 side bends each side, and either start with or finish with pull ups. That was quite a while ago since I did that kind of routine, but I remember it working.

Yeah, eating healthy is important for sure. I can't speak for everyone, but when I'm in shape I don't have much appetite. Greasy meats would make me feel sick/sluggish/toxic and I would crave salads.  I never personally charted out a "diet" though. I just listen to my body for what it needs; Though, I recognize that most people don't quite listen or understand to what their bodies are saying or are getting conflicted messages (usually caused through some of the unhealthy foods and chemicals we eat/drink.)

Now if only people would realize that "diet" drinks usually cause weight gain in addition to the horrible symptoms. Those chemicals shouldn't even be allowed in our food system considering they were essentially passed through the FDA with bribery. The only reason Aspartame and Sucralose (Splenda. Not to be confused with Sucrose) are considered low calorie sweeteners is because some of the test patients were unable to absorb it. In reality there are quite a few people who can absorb the calories in addition to some people's bodies adapting/mutating to be able to. Not to mention the other health "benefits" from taking a sweetener made from chlorine (sucralose) and the other being made from formaldehyde (Yes, aspartame is made from a fluid they embalm dead people with to preserve their bodies).
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline You-friend-Sushi

• Cabbit
« Reply #729 on: April 09, 2013, 04:29:30 pm »
Current status: 21 years young, 147.5lb and 5'6" ~ 5'7"
Goals: Condtioning and some toning.
Game plan: I've been having a lot of fun with my just dance game, and going on a walk each week. The walks aren't always very long, just to the point where I start to feel tired and then turn around and head back home. I try to dance atleast once during the weekend as well. I have also been doing house work for a while.
I typo'd my name. It's Your-friend-Sushi. Pleased to meet you. C:

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #730 on: April 10, 2013, 12:13:45 pm »
So in the past few months I have made quite a bit of progress. I never really noticed until I got my pictures back from Sak.
Here is a good shot of how tone my legs and butt have gotten :3
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/303350_10201008468440030_280564277_n.jpg

And here is one of my stomach. Now I did shade my abs a little but I did pretty light layer so it didn't look too fake and I just followed the lines that were already there. Also the lighting of this picture really help make them stand out more.
http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t378/Yagton/Sakura%20Con%202013/Day%201/036.jpg

I have about a month and a half to focus on my diet and get my body fat down to around 20-21% I think I am at 23% right now but the last time I checked was mid February. My goal is to not need to shade my abs to make them stand out more.

All in all I am very happy. I used to have no butt now I have a bigger butt but I want MORE!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #731 on: April 15, 2013, 01:38:35 pm »
I wish I lost weight like my mom. She packed on like 3 lbs from eating a ton of the Oreos and ice cream we had around the house, and by instantly going back to her healthier foods the next day, she dropped basically a pound day. Organic, healthy and veggie choices... do work. Now I just have to swear off the Oreos and other cookies and ice cream.... I've been on a milkshake kick the last week though. At least I'm on the tail end of it.

A lot of my issue is I want fast food- not McD's- just fast to cook. Rice take's 20 min or so, same with pasta, to cook it and eat it properly, and the dreaded pizza and boxed pastas. The only fast things I have other then toast and cereal are crackers. I have to start getting the house filled with grapes and carrots to snack on instead.

Then I eat so many snacks I don't want a meal lol Hopefully I can start getting this worked around~ ^^
Nothing new on the exercises. I attempted a pilates thing and basically gave my muscles a freak out around my spine cause I did too much too soon. So I'll start again this week, a lot gentler.
Kumori'15

Offline Titus_Love_Doll

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #732 on: April 15, 2013, 06:12:12 pm »
I love 2 inches this year and went from an 18 dress to a 12

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #733 on: April 16, 2013, 08:29:52 am »
I've been on a milkshake kick the last week though. At least I'm on the tail end of it.

This has been me for over two months. For a while I was having about three a week, some weeks even one a day x.x

I am really going to try to focus on my diet, though I say that every time. I found some motivation. I just need to keep reminding myself of that motivation and it will help me stay on track.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #734 on: April 17, 2013, 01:35:18 am »
I've been having one a day before night with some m&m's mixed in.
Kumori'15

Offline fadadio

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #735 on: April 17, 2013, 02:20:09 pm »
Current Status: 174 cm, 150 lb I am toned in some areas but my stomach and chest are alot more flabby than they used to be

Goal: bulk up to 160 and be well defined with less body fat

Plan to reach Goal: I have always been a gym rat but recently I have not been able to go as much as I would like which has affected my strength and body composition. I will go back to my old routine of lifting weights at least 3 times a week and going on walks on my resting days I will also be taking natural anti estrogen supplements (DIM,indole 3 carbinol,Calcium D Glucarate,Tongat ali.) to help lower my bodies estrogen levels and help my body better use its own natural free roaming testosterone.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #736 on: April 18, 2013, 09:38:18 pm »
I was able to get my Wii fit board working, and I have been doing half hour chucks with a goal of 2 hours .  Its not much but its a start.  Right now I am in terrible shape (after baby weight gain think of the dieting commercials with the mom a year after and chubby yeah that's me)
I can do more but I want to build up my energy levels.  So far I an meeting my goal
when the weathers nice I walk to a park with my son and run around with him.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #737 on: April 23, 2013, 05:10:22 pm »
YAY sunshine and time! I had enough time to do some 'light' exercises for 30 min before class today. My knees are kind of wobbly, but I didn't wear myself out and I can still walk. My spine doesn't hurt either :)

I'm thinking with how out of shape I am, I should do this 3 times a week for a month and then move up to maybe.. 5 times? I dunno if a 10 min work out is better then a 30 min either.
Kumori'15

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #738 on: April 24, 2013, 08:22:30 am »
YAY sunshine and time! I had enough time to do some 'light' exercises for 30 min before class today. My knees are kind of wobbly, but I didn't wear myself out and I can still walk. My spine doesn't hurt either :) .
I have that problem with my knees too, I really want to steady(?) them up some if that makes sense.  Mine are double jointed they bend backwards a bit which makes finding my center of balance really hard.

Not wearing out is inportant too, as it doesn't help if you get too tired to do other stuff you need to get done.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #739 on: April 24, 2013, 09:30:00 am »
I'm trying to run 50 miles in 30 days. I started on Monday and so far I am at 5 miles (1.75 on Monday and 3.25 yesterday). Today before my weight routine I am going to try to get a new fastest mile time. So after today it should be at 6 miles, though I may go a little farther. I'm shooting for a 7.5 minute mile. I think I can do it!

I'm glad I got over my funk from last week. I only worked out for three days last week, right now I am going on my 4th day. I really don't have much time till Fanime and I want to see some more progress. I would really like to get my BF down one more %.

It was so nice running outside yesterday. I love this weather! I'm hoping that it will be nice all weekend and I will probably walk quite a bit. I'm going to the Zoo on Sunday and I'll probably take my dog on a nice long walk Saturday.

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #740 on: April 24, 2013, 09:49:21 am »
I'm 18, 196 lbs. My doctor said most of my weight gain was stressed induced, so I've been keeping myself calm and steady.
I started running on an elliptical again, and I was hoping I could get some advice.
I haven't been on any machines in a couple of months, I think since Sept after I graduated from my training program. I started out 15 minutes, and when I moved to distance part of the scan it said 2 miles. Is this good? Or should I add on more and more time everyday? More distance every couple weeks? I've never really done any of this for myself, only for my PE class so I dont know what I should do with my routine.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #741 on: April 24, 2013, 11:04:48 am »
I never really trust the distance on elliptical. I personally think it would be better to focus on the time and say every 10 minutes or so check your heart rate.

Also Vereca you asked if a 10 minute workout was better than a 30 minute workout. Its always better to keep your heart working harder for longer but any workout is a good workout. Sometimes you can only get a 10 minute workout in, sometimes you can get a 30 minute workout. If you have the time I would shoot for 30 though.

Offline fadadio

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #742 on: April 24, 2013, 02:56:19 pm »
@bunny girl, when it starts feeling more easy you can add more distance to the machine, never push yourself too hard too fast. Just improve at a steady pace. Also you should supplement your routine with some walking. I remember at my old job as a gas jockey, I would walk around 12 miles in 1 day. and since I did not have a car I would have to walk everywhere I went. During this time I could eat anything I wanted and not gain weight. infact I had lots of trouble trying to maintain my muscle mass since it was so hard eating enough calories.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #743 on: April 24, 2013, 07:41:50 pm »
Thanks, Nikki. That's what I figured. I keep reading and seeing things that say a 10 minute is "just as good" as a 30 minute. I wasn't sure if they're referring to actually working out the muscles or if that's just for pure-cardio workouts.
Kumori'15

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #744 on: April 24, 2013, 08:44:57 pm »
Something else I wanted to ask but forgot about, is it better to do 2 or 3 mini workouts a day rather than one large one? I pace myself, and can only do about 15-20 minutes at a time, but once I get that breather I can go longer later in the day (since I'm also pretty busy with my music sparatically).

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #745 on: April 24, 2013, 09:39:17 pm »
Again it is always better to keep your heart rate up for longer periods of time. One long workout will always be better for you in the long run but if you don't have time to do one long one then a few short workouts will work as well. There really isn't much of a difference. I think doing a long one would mainly increase your endurance.

Here I can think of an example. It take a little bit of time to get your heart rate up to a point where you are really burning calories. Just for this example say it takes about 2 minutes t get it up to 150. So if you are doing a 10 minute workout you are only getting 8 minutes in at 150 where you are burning the most calories. If you do three 10 minute workouts you are getting a total of 24 minutes in with that heart rate. If you did one 30 minute workout you would be getting 28 minutes in with your heart rate up to 150. Both still burn calories. Both are good for you. Its just best to do what fits into your life style. If that is 2 or 3 mini workouts then fine, if you can get it all in at one time great. I personally like to workout hard once then I know I am done for the day.

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #746 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:24 pm »
Ohkay thanks! I'm still new to all this training/exercise stuff so I hope im not bothering you too much.
After about two minutes I start feeling my heart beat pretty heavy and fast, and I start to sweat around that time too.
So I know I'm doing pretty good. I plan to start walking/jogging at like 6am Mon-Friday or at least three times a week with my Elliptical at 15 minutes everyday, but now probably 2 or 3 20minutes a day thing..
I'm rambling now.. sorry.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #747 on: April 25, 2013, 01:10:33 am »
My body likes to quit when it's working that hard unless it's running. I just don't stop cause that 'quitting' feeling gets farther away based on whatever exercise I'm doing. I can do some longer then others and I can feel the muscles being worked but not my heart rate going for a while. It's a strange mix and it's fun to see what'll do what.
Kumori'15

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #748 on: April 25, 2013, 09:09:28 am »
Ohkay thanks! I'm still new to all this training/exercise stuff so I hope im not bothering you too much.
After about two minutes I start feeling my heart beat pretty heavy and fast, and I start to sweat around that time too.
So I know I'm doing pretty good. I plan to start walking/jogging at like 6am Mon-Friday or at least three times a week with my Elliptical at 15 minutes everyday, but now probably 2 or 3 20 minutes a day thing..
I'm rambling now.. sorry.
No its fine I love talking about working out. It has become a huge hobby of mine and I am actually hoping that I will be able to host a panel about it at kumo. I usually aim for my heart rate to be at 160 but I am in pretty good shape and my heart can handle it. Your target heart rate changes from person to person. One way of looking at it is it should be difficult to hold a conversation while you are working out. Like you would only be able to get a word or two out before having to take a couple of deep breaths. Thats where I try to be when working out.

Something that I haven't done in a while that might benefit you two greatly is interval training. So jog/run for a minute and walk/jog for 5. If you are on the elliptical go as hard as you can for a minute then a steady slower recovery pace for 5 minutes. It is a great way to increase your endurance and is better for burning calories than staying at one steady pace.

For an example, yesterday I ran a 7.5 minute mile, which is an 8 mph on the treadmill. I didn't run at an 8 the whole time. I started out at 7.5 for two minutes, bumped up to 8 for 3 minutes then went to 8.5 for two minutes and finished off at 9 for the last 30 seconds. Once I reached that goal I walked at a 3.5 for a minute then went back to 7 for 6 and a half minutes. So its not one steady pace.

On another note I am really happy that I reached two of my goals yesterday. I ran a mile in 7.5 minutes (I could have gone faster so next week I am going for 7 minutes), and I finally got back to 90 lbs on bench press. One day when I get a spotter I will figure out my one rep max for dead lift, squats, and bench since right now I am doing 3 sets of 5.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 09:10:55 am by nikkiolie »

Offline kittykat1blabla

• Chibi
    • Facebook
« Reply #749 on: April 29, 2013, 12:43:49 am »
Current status: I'm currently 17 years old, 5'5" and 145 pounds. I usually go between 143 and 150 pounds and I've been pretty much doing that since freshman year.
Goal: I want to make my arms look more toned, I had them toned for a very short while and it made me feel a lot better about my arms. Also, my stomach and thighs are a bit of a concern. I only want to lose about 10 pounds, I feel like I'd feel a lot better about my self since my dream weight is about 135 pounds.
Plan:
My plan is to make a work out plan I'm comfortable with and do it every other day. Also, I have a bit of a habit of taking more then I need to eat, and I need to cut that down too. I have a problem with falling out of workout scheduals, so if there was some way I could possibly get past that, I really think it would go well. After only doing it for a couple week I already noticed a difference in my arms, and that boosted my cofidence, but, of course, I stopped doing the workout and they went back to all soft and flabby. Jogging I feel too awkward doing, so I doubt I'd be able to get into the habit, and I also plan on fixing up my sleep schedual. Any tips on how I could keep in the habit would be great.
KumoriCon 2015:

>Kuwabara [YuYuHakusho]
>Barnaby Brooks Jr. [Tiger&Bunny]
>Fuu [Samurai Champloo]
>Griffith [Berserk]