Author Topic: Halloween Costume Party ~ 10/31 [Eugene/Springfield] *CHECK FIRST POST*  (Read 32960 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Halloween Costume Party ~ 10/31 [Eugene/Springfield] *CHECK FIRST POST*
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2010, 07:25:43 pm »
I might  try to bring my pal who is dressing as a jellyfish
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2010, 07:44:19 pm »
Well, i just found my CD of 'scary' halloween background sounds from a Halloween party i had a few years ago. If there's a CD player, should i bring it?

Offline JeniOctavia

• Cabbit
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2010, 09:57:36 am »
Totally meant to do this earlier...

Name: Jeni and Taco (JeniOctavia and Hattsune on the forum)
Costume: Jeni - Generic School Girl #254 Taco - Hinata Hyuuga
Providing food Y/N: Y. Candy and some home made cookies.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2010, 02:31:24 pm »
Yay! I am so happy to get to see Jeni & Taco!
Radien, given you said the ovens will be in use for pizzas (and if you do get one that is vegetarian, I'm totally in, thanks), I will probably bring a baked item or two from a store rather than ingredients for baking.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2010, 04:31:23 pm »
@Jeni: Added you both. :3

WHOA, according to the list, there's going to be ten people attending, plus the additional few that are not on the forums. OAO This is going to turn out to be an amazing party.

@Radien: Oh, just as a heads up, Saki and I will be arriving early together at your place to help set things up. (She has a blacklight :3) Could you give me your phone number so that I can call you before we leave? We'll most likely be leaving at 3:30 (or a bit before) and arriving about ten minutes before everything starts. If you need mine, I'll PM it to you. :3

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
Re: Trick or Treat Meet? [Eugene]
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2010, 05:40:10 pm »

I have an idea for something else fun we may all want to partake of.  Anime themed pumpkin carving!  Those of you who know me, know that I do an anime themed pumpkin every year.  I enter them in the contest on Anime News Network.  I have even won some prizes.  Who is up for carving some anime themed pumpkins and having a pumpkin carving contest of our own?  I haven't really thought about what the prize for winning would be, any suggestions?  That is, of course, if we do it at all.  I am also open to suggestions for this years pumpkin.   ;D

Here is my pumpkin for this year:

Now THAT is one scary pumpkin!   ;D

I didn't see anyone else wanting to enter a pumpkin this year.  Anime themed pumpkins are so fun too!

I'll see you all at the party tomorrow!

I will be bringing my laptop.  Is there any anime people want to watch?  I have just about everything, but my laptop can't hold it all.   :)
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2010, 05:50:43 pm »
I just realized that the 4 o'clock start time is before I need to meet my friends, so I think I'll stop in for a couple hours. : D

Name: Valeria
Costume: A microwave
Providing food: Probably not, unless there's something you guys need that isn't being provided yet.

I hope you can come because I want to see how you managed the microwave idea. :) Plus you're definitely welcome.

This also reminded me that I haven't RSVPed myself, either!!

Name: Radien (Steve)
Job: Host :P
Costume: Link (Twilight Princess)
Food: Chocolate chip cookies

She hasn't posted here, so I'll RSVP for emasik too:

Name: emasik
Costume: Telma (Twilight Princess)

I've prepared a big ol' pile of DVDs and games for the party, and I'm working on having Mafia ready.  I also have multiple board/party games that can accommodate 7+ people.  I think we will be quite well-occupied.

I have a blacklight i could bring which would give the fog sort of a creepy dark purple look. The light gets kind of hot though, so we would want to keep it away from anything flamable.

Unless the fake fog is flammable, that should be easy to accommodate!  Black lights are cool; please bring it!  I had one but it broke...

Well, i just found my CD of 'scary' halloween background sounds from a Halloween party i had a few years ago. If there's a CD player, should i bring it?

Yes, please do!! Bring any CDs you like! We can play them in the board game room.

Yay! I am so happy to get to see Jeni & Taco!
Radien, given you said the ovens will be in use for pizzas (and if you do get one that is vegetarian, I'm totally in, thanks), I will probably bring a baked item or two from a store rather than ingredients for baking.

Pizzas don't take forever to bake!  If you bring something that is also quick to bake, I'm sure we can accommodate it!  But it'd be best if it didn't require too much preparation in the kitchen, that's all.

http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/~wuntvor/PantyStockingPumpkin.jpg

Now THAT is one scary pumpkin!  ;D

I didn't see anyone else wanting to enter a pumpkin this year.  Anime themed pumpkins are so fun too!

I will be bringing my laptop.  Is there any anime people want to watch?  I have just about everything, but my laptop can't hold it all.   :)

Awesome pumpkin!! If you feel like bringing it to the party, feel free! It would definitely have an appreciative audience.

Edit: I don't have any particular preferences for anime, just stuff that pretty much anybody can enjoy!

Quote from: Fuyuko
WHOA, according to the list, there's going to be ten people attending, plus the additional few that are not on the forums. OAO This is going to turn out to be an amazing party.

@Radien: Oh, just as a heads up, Saki and I will be arriving early together at your place to help set things up. (She has a blacklight :3) Could you give me your phone number so that I can call you before we leave? We'll most likely be leaving at 3:30 (or a bit before) and arriving about ten minutes before everything starts. If you need mine, I'll PM it to you. :3

Hmm, big group!  Good thing we have a two-story house.  We may have to count on board games and video games to keep everybody entertained, but there will be room for everybody if we aren't always all in the same room!  (I still want to get a massive game of Mafia going, though)

Fuyuko, I will PM you! Thanks!

If anybody else wants my number please PM me, too.  I don't want to post it in the thread, but I'll be checking this thread and my PMs frequently. :)

P.S. - I used the word "accommodate" three times in one post (now four).  Woo.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 07:05:42 pm by Radien »
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2010, 06:05:49 pm »
@Wuntvor
Anime? hmm...Well, I never get tired of Kuroshitsuji xD Also any Studio Ghibli movies (my faves though are Howl's moving castle, Kiki's delivary service, The cat returns, and Castle in the sky), I've also been wanting to watch Soul eater (my friend told me that's a really good one).

Offline Tacosu

• Sailor Scout
Re: Trick or Treat Meet? [Eugene]
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2010, 08:24:04 pm »

I have an idea for something else fun we may all want to partake of.  Anime themed pumpkin carving!  Those of you who know me, know that I do an anime themed pumpkin every year.  I enter them in the contest on Anime News Network.  I have even won some prizes.  Who is up for carving some anime themed pumpkins and having a pumpkin carving contest of our own?  I haven't really thought about what the prize for winning would be, any suggestions?  That is, of course, if we do it at all.  I am also open to suggestions for this years pumpkin.   ;D

Now THAT is one scary pumpkin!   ;D

I didn't see anyone else wanting to enter a pumpkin this year.  Anime themed pumpkins are so fun too!

I will be bringing my laptop.  Is there any anime people want to watch?  I have just about everything, but my laptop can't hold it all.   :)

.. Best. Pumpkin. Ever.

HELLO, PLEASE CALL ME TACO. C:

COSPLAYS FOR 2013:
Tales of Xillia - Leia Rolando

Offline Malaria

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #109 on: October 30, 2010, 08:38:47 pm »
I'm really excited for tomorrow. >w< Gonna print out directions and... check that there is gas in my car. derpderp

I've got no preferences on anime, besides that I don't like extreme gore (bad at Halloween, wut?) or super sparkly shoujo desu~

OT: omg Holic/Horitsuba cosplays <33
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 08:39:08 pm by Malaria »
Kumoricon 2012:
Who even knows, man

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2010, 12:18:07 am »
I will definitely be there, but I might be working under-the-table in someone's garden. Won't know until tomorrow afternoon what time I can arrive. Sorry about that!

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2010, 12:51:15 am »
Oh gosh, I can't wait~ This is going to be so much fun. Fox and I will probably get there around 4:30-ish~ We'll be at a gaming session before that, so that'll set us back just a little bit~ We shall be there though! <3

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2010, 03:17:40 am »
I'm really looking forward to it too! :)

Oh, I also forgot to mention we will have apple cider available. I'm gonna see if it's possible to have some special ingredients too.

Now, about pumpkins and pizza...

I'm sorry I didn't think to mention this before, but if anybody else has any clever pumpkins they have carved, feel free to bring them. If you're a-feared of toting them in the car, though, no worries. Totally optional.

emasik was here today and we actually carved pumpkins together! XD emasik carved an "awesome face" pumpkin, and I carved a Link. I'm hoping we'll have them up either beside the door or inside, just behind the screen door, so you'll know you've got the right house. :3  If you don't see any pumpkins, look for a bunch of small metal candle-lanterns shaped like witch hats, hanging from metal stakes. We'll be setting those up beside our porch.

Neither will be visible from the street, though, so look for a two-story brown house with brick. We're the only two-story house on the block.

See you all there (or rather, here)!  Oh, and also, if you need to show up late, don't worry about it!  But please keep in mind that we'll be ordering pizzas sometime between 5:30 or 6:30, and I'd very much appreciate knowing exactly how many people are to be fed (and what they can/can't eat). Otherwise it'll be whatever snacks you see on page 1 of this thread.

If you are coming, and want my phone number, please PM me either here or on Facebook!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:20:03 am by Radien »

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2010, 03:19:34 am »
Ooh, did you roast seeds, too? (Yum). I do plan to be there by pizza time. It's just with the thing that happened with my roommate, if I do have the chance for paid work, I should not turn it down.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2010, 03:25:31 am »
Ooh, did you roast seeds, too? (Yum). I do plan to be there by pizza time. It's just with the thing that happened with my roommate, if I do have the chance for paid work, I should not turn it down.

Unfortunately I have never roasted seeds, so no.  But I do know that pumpkin seeds are tasty.  (And according to the Legend of Zelda video games, they also make good slingshot ammunition. Did you know Link is a pumpkin smasher? For shaaaame.)

I totally understand about the paid work. Jobs are curiously rare finds, spoken of only in myths and legends, and rumor has it that if you catch one you can force it to give you a pot of gold. I am unsure whether this is true.

Apollo Justice

Offline JeniOctavia

• Cabbit
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2010, 08:49:52 am »
I made an anime pumpkin! ... it was my first time making one, though, so I'unno if I even want to bring it. It didn't turn out as great as I was hoping... ._.

And yes, xxxHolic cosplays! You can thank mellonemrys (Kate) for roping us in to those. Of course she is doing the CLAMP panel next year so it fits.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2010, 11:44:20 am »
I might bring my Grell pumpkin if i can carry it xD

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2010, 02:05:57 pm »
Just a last minute suggestion:

If any of you are coming and don't have any snacks to bring, we don't yet have anyone bringing soda pop. Yes, my family has SOME pop, but probably not enough for the party. This would be a great time to buy a 2 liter since it'll actually get used up.

Apollo Justice

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2010, 09:09:45 pm »
Didn't have enough time in my day to come, sorry! Hope you guys all had fun!

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #119 on: November 01, 2010, 01:54:49 pm »
Well i had fun last night ^^ Everyone was really nice and food was really good.
(also, Fuyuko, I'm very sorry but next time please don't bring the fog machine ;__; Apparantly i had an allergic reaction to the chemicals in the fog and i started throwing up bloody mucus this morning. I'm just really glad one of my neighbors is a nurse (who said i was perfectly fine, thank god. She just said to stay away from that stuff from now on, along with other things that would help my sore throat.)
So yeah, i had no idea that that fog would have such an affect on me. Lets just make sure not to have any at any more partys ^^;)

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »
I had a nice time as well. I was surprised at how many people showed up! It was a cool group with an easygoing atmosphere. :3

@Saki: Wait WHAT?! You ok?! And also, that can't be possible because the fog is 100% water-based. The only way you could react that way to it is if you drank it... Are you sure it wasn't something else that caused such a reaction? Maybe it was something that you ate... That's the only other possibility I can think of... Ok, I'll stop analyzing everything now. Sorry, and I'm really sorry that you went through that. ><;

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2010, 08:30:48 pm »
@Fuyuko
Please don't be sorry, i had no idea that would happen. Me and my parents are guessing that the fog, along with the nerds i ate (because sometimes i can get a scratchy throat from nerds) and the fact that i didn't have anything to drink after all of this happened. It pretty much started out with a really sore throat and then my stomach started hurting at about 3 this morning. Then at about 6 this morning i started throwing up. Also, the main reason i started throwing up blood was because my nose was bleeding and apparantly i had a buch of mucus in my windpipe that got scratched up from the nerds i ate, so after swallowing a bunch of that wile i was sleeping, i got sick from it.

Offline emasik

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2010, 08:51:35 pm »
Derp de Derp. I had a good time; it was nice meeting/seeing all of you lovely people. Unfortunately I'm not local, so I probably won't see anybody for quite a while. Sadness.  Also, has anyone posted pictures? I'd like to show my associates what I was up to last night.

Feel better, Saki. <3
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 08:57:43 pm by emasik »

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2010, 09:19:26 pm »
Yikes, Saki. Hope you are okay. Malaria, sorry I arrived after you left, I had to work.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2010, 10:56:28 pm »
I'm actually feeling a lot better now and i'm starting to feel hungry (which is a good thing because all i've eaten today was a bowl of oatmeal ;_; ). Hopefully in then next couple of days i'll be able to start eating my Halloween candy xD

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2010, 11:36:23 pm »
@Saki: Oh goodie~ Take it easy on the candy. x3

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2010, 02:53:19 pm »
Well i had fun last night ^^ Everyone was really nice and food was really good.
(also, Fuyuko, I'm very sorry but next time please don't bring the fog machine ;__; Apparantly i had an allergic reaction to the chemicals in the fog and i started throwing up bloody mucus this morning. I'm just really glad one of my neighbors is a nurse (who said i was perfectly fine, thank god. She just said to stay away from that stuff from now on, along with other things that would help my sore throat.)
So yeah, i had no idea that that fog would have such an affect on me. Lets just make sure not to have any at any more partys ^^;)

Crap, I didn't know that stuff could be that bad. o_o Okay, no fog next time. I'm glad you came; I'm sorry the fog interfered with your fun though! We kinda wondered why you were so suddenly sick...

I had a nice time as well. I was surprised at how many people showed up! It was a cool group with an easygoing atmosphere. :3

@Saki: Wait WHAT?! You ok?! And also, that can't be possible because the fog is 100% water-based. The only way you could react that way to it is if you drank it... Are you sure it wasn't something else that caused such a reaction? Maybe it was something that you ate... That's the only other possibility I can think of... Ok, I'll stop analyzing everything now. Sorry, and I'm really sorry that you went through that. ><;

Yes!  Thanks for coming and letting me host!

Hunh, the fog is water-based?... That's odd. It smells kinda funny. I always thought it had something in it. *shrug* :/

Derp de Derp. I had a good time; it was nice meeting/seeing all of you lovely people. Unfortunately I'm not local, so I probably won't see anybody for quite a while. Sadness.  Also, has anyone posted pictures? I'd like to show my associates what I was up to last night.

Feel better, Saki. <3

Always glad to see you.  Happy you made the trip. <3

Say, did anybody get any good photos of the pumpkins?...  I would be particularly interested in lit-up photos taken in the dark, since my Link pumpkin was made to look best with a candle in it.

I'm sorry to report that our two jack-o-lanterns have already started to mold. :( I think maybe some spores found their way to our pumpkins thanks to the large number of other pumpkins in close proximity (similar things happen with bananas and other fruits).  I'm leaving for the weekend so I took a couple of photos and will have to put them in the trash before I go. Ahh, the transience of pumpkins....

If anybody is interested, I would be happy to schedule a Cosplay Game Night with the games we never got around to, among other things. It could be with or without costumes, however you please.

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2010, 03:06:22 pm »
As long as it's after Orycon, I'd go, and I'd cosplay or at least come Loli. However, I would reserve the right to just hang out and watch if the game had content or process with which I felt uncomfortable. I am very squeamish about competition. If it ever doesn't feel friendly I simply leave. I couldn't handle being in the room when certain people played Monopoly and double-crossed each other and got edgy about. Come to think of it, that included the person who just screwed me over on my rent and about $400 altogether in real life. I should've taken how he played the game as a red flag and never let him move in with me, my cat and my fishie (may she rest in peace).

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2010, 04:11:11 pm »
@Radien: It was probably the machine that gave off the odd smell because I took a good wiff out of the bottle *reckless* and smelled nothing, nor did it affect me in any way afterwards. I actually researched the ingredients for the fluid and found like, nothing; so that's odd if it gave off that smell (I smelled it while it was running as well). '_'

But anyway, I'll definitely remember not to bring it again... I'm still perplexed because I was totally not expecting an outcome like this. I had a party last year where I used the fog machine inside the house and no one had a reaction to it. The room was thickly covered with fog too...  I'll quit analyzing this time, promise! Maybe if I write about this research in my journal that'll make me happy. xD; *nerd*

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2010, 04:49:21 pm »
I didn't feel anything at Radien's, but at home, my neighbor's fog machine made me feel queasy & short of breath and made it hard to see.

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »
@Fuyuko
Well i looked it up as well and what i found was that it had some chemicals in it that can cause a skin reaction with some people (weather it be in fog form or not). So it was probably just me.

@Radien
Well actually i wasn't feeling sick at all until i was driving home with my parents, which is why i got kind of frightened. But then my neighbor told me that people can get sick from things hours or even days after being exsposed to whatever is making the person sick, so that's why i didn't get a quick reaction (i'm kind of glad too, i didn't want to be sick during the party).

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2010, 11:17:27 pm »
As long as it's after Orycon, I'd go, and I'd cosplay or at least come Loli. However, I would reserve the right to just hang out and watch if the game had content or process with which I felt uncomfortable. I am very squeamish about competition. If it ever doesn't feel friendly I simply leave. I couldn't handle being in the room when certain people played Monopoly and double-crossed each other and got edgy about. Come to think of it, that included the person who just screwed me over on my rent and about $400 altogether in real life. I should've taken how he played the game as a red flag and never let him move in with me, my cat and my fishie (may she rest in peace).

Ahhh, the "Monopoly trick."  I have heard about that. I suppose it was a bit foreboding that your former housemate used it...

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, when I say "Monopoly" I DON'T mean the game of Monopoly.  There is a card in Settlers of Catan called "Monopoly" that can be used in a very underhanded manner, which usually ticks off the entire table.

Rem, if you want, we could outlaw the Monopoly trick. Besides, after having played a few games with them, I strongly doubt this bunch would get that competitive. :) But if you want to just watch at first, that's fine too.

Also, I'd love to see one of those Loli dresses you keep mentioning!

@Radien: It was probably the machine that gave off the odd smell because I took a good wiff out of the bottle *reckless* and smelled nothing, nor did it affect me in any way afterwards. I actually researched the ingredients for the fluid and found like, nothing; so that's odd if it gave off that smell (I smelled it while it was running as well). '_'

That is indeed mysterious. If it isn't the liquid, it may just be some sort of small exhaust or something. Hmmmm. :/

But anyway, I'll definitely remember not to bring it again... I'm still perplexed because I was totally not expecting an outcome like this. I had a party last year where I used the fog machine inside the house and no one had a reaction to it. The room was thickly covered with fog too...  I'll quit analyzing this time, promise! Maybe if I write about this research in my journal that'll make me happy. xD; *nerd*

Don't feel too bad about it!  You were relying on past information that suggested it would be fine, and heck, we didn't even bring it in the house, for that matter.  I'm surprised too.  Now we know not to use it around Rem, so at least we can avoid it in the future. :)

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2010, 07:34:13 pm »
@ Radien, actually I was going to add a bunch of crinoline under my pink Loli for sock hop cosplay if you had gotten back to me in time for the Grease sing-a-long. You saw the ladybug one when we went out w/Meg & John. Let me know when you start going to Terry's again & I'll bust one out for the occasion. Any excuse to dress up works for me!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2010, 12:00:47 am »
@ Radien, actually I was going to add a bunch of crinoline under my pink Loli for sock hop cosplay if you had gotten back to me in time for the Grease sing-a-long. You saw the ladybug one when we went out w/Meg & John. Let me know when you start going to Terry's again & I'll bust one out for the occasion. Any excuse to dress up works for me!

Sorry I didn't get back to you in time.  I think the solution here is to find better excuses to dress up, though!  Halloween is over, but there's gotta be something else...

If nothing else, December is an excuse to do Santa Link.

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2010, 09:57:09 am »

Sorry I didn't get back to you in time.  I think the solution here is to find better excuses to dress up, though!  Halloween is over, but there's gotta be something else...

If nothing else, December is an excuse to do Santa Link.

*Guffaw*
Well I'm definitely cosplaying for Deathly Hallows. At least once.
I'll see if I can find anything that would work to cosplay Tron.
A pal of mine is having (I am not making this up) a pub crawl for which folks are supposed to dress as a favorite food, and/or a favorite food-item-advertising-icon.
I, of course, would aspire to try to find a way to cosplay the celery lapel pin on the 5th Doctor's lapel.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »
*Guffaw*
Well I'm definitely cosplaying for Deathly Hallows. At least once.
I'll see if I can find anything that would work to cosplay Tron.
A pal of mine is having (I am not making this up) a pub crawl for which folks are supposed to dress as a favorite food, and/or a favorite food-item-advertising-icon.
I, of course, would aspire to try to find a way to cosplay the celery lapel pin on the 5th Doctor's lapel.

Celery lapel pin? Man, that's obscure. But you'd still look like celery regardless(?)

Tron? That'd be pretty awesome.  If you think they'd allow it, you might want to look into buying a big pack of those glow-bracelets and linking them together.  There were some Tron cosplayers at Sakura Con, if I recall correctly, so you might want to look them up.  They glowed in the dark.

Hmmm, a Tron costume would certainly be fun to throw together, though I'm not dedicated enough to ever go for full accuracy on anything like that.....

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2010, 03:52:03 pm »
Accuracy, schmaccuracy. (This is not directed at you, Steve.) I do not cosplay for anyone else (unless I'm in a skit with people or something). I do it because it's fun for me. If others want to judge that I don't have the time, money, or sewing skills I do, that's their loss *shrug*. I've been cosplaying since way before I had heard the word. I was dressing in character to go to movies and plays since at least junior high (and choreographed the Time Warp for the 6th grade talent show). It's not that I begrudge people who have the time and energy and money and resources and especially the sewing, tailoring, corset-boning, etc. skills; I totally admire them, especially those who make their own items on a budget. The part I ignore is when there is condescension like "I historically researched my costume and you wore what's in your closet, therefore I am good and you are bad" kind of mentality. Especially because often what it comes down to is economic class. It is not easy to budget for accuracy if you are counting pennies to pay your rent. I applaud anyone who makes any effort to enjoy enhancing their experience of any moment through wardrobe, prop, singing, fanficcing, whatever works for them, and no one, no one has the right to try to take that enjoyment away from them by saying it's not good enough to meet their standards (except of course if one willingly enters a contest knowing said contest has set rules).

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »
Accuracy, schmaccuracy. (This is not directed at you, Steve.) I do not cosplay for anyone else (unless I'm in a skit with people or something). I do it because it's fun for me. If others want to judge that I don't have the time, money, or sewing skills I do, that's their loss *shrug*. I've been cosplaying since way before I had heard the word. I was dressing in character to go to movies and plays since at least junior high (and choreographed the Time Warp for the 6th grade talent show). It's not that I begrudge people who have the time and energy and money and resources and especially the sewing, tailoring, corset-boning, etc. skills; I totally admire them, especially those who make their own items on a budget. The part I ignore is when there is condescension like "I historically researched my costume and you wore what's in your closet, therefore I am good and you are bad" kind of mentality. Especially because often what it comes down to is economic class. It is not easy to budget for accuracy if you are counting pennies to pay your rent. I applaud anyone who makes any effort to enjoy enhancing their experience of any moment through wardrobe, prop, singing, fanficcing, whatever works for them, and no one, no one has the right to try to take that enjoyment away from them by saying it's not good enough to meet their standards (except of course if one willingly enters a contest knowing said contest has set rules).

Wow, you've certainly thought this one over.

I guess you have a point.  I put a lot of effort into accuracy for my Link cosplay, but that's because I really wanted to do justice to the character design. I wasn't necessarily wanting to appease snooty cosplayers or be snooty myself -- I gravitate towards people who cosplay the same character, rather than glare at them like they came to the prom wearing the same dress.

But I guess what it comes down to is that if I can't do something well because it's too complicated, I try to do something easier instead.  I don't like settling for "hey, they'll figure out who you're supposed to be."

That's why I re-wear my costumes a lot... I can't afford to have something impressive every year (or every con).

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2010, 02:53:55 pm »
Your Link is adorable and well-accoutred. You pointed out something important there: You *like* when others do what you do. You're not trying to outdo them or be the only one to do it.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2010, 04:48:28 pm »
Your Link is adorable and well-accoutred. You pointed out something important there: You *like* when others do what you do. You're not trying to outdo them or be the only one to do it.

Yes. I hadn't originally realized that this attitude isn't widely held.

Back when I first cosplayed Ashton Anchors, a few times I got people saying to me "I saw someone else cosplaying Ashton, but his wasn't quite as good as yours."

My response was "I don't care! Show me to this person!" ...because Ashton cosplayers were rare enough that I just wanted to meet anybody else who was of the same mind, regardless of the quality of the costume. Some were mediocre, some were fantastic, but it was all good.

Anyway, about the original topic of the thread...

Thanks again to everybody who came to the party. This was the first Halloween party I've ever held or been to where EVERY SINGLE GUEST WAS IN COSTUME OMG.  I really appreciate that.  It's a level of enthusiasm that I rarely encounter on Halloween.  The people I previously spent Halloween with would make fun of me if I wore a costume.... ANY costume.  Partying with cosplayers was a welcome change. ;)

Apollo Justice

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2010, 06:48:37 pm »
Agreed! Hope we have more parties!