Author Topic: Tiptoe Through the TARDIS: A Doctor Who Fandom Celebration  (Read 3531 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Tiptoe Through the TARDIS: A Doctor Who Fandom Celebration
« on: November 15, 2010, 07:22:41 am »
Our new panel at Creation Station at Orycon 32 was a smash hit, standing-room-only, as was our tie-in craft-panel, Mouse's Make Your Own Sonic Screwdriver.

Several people asked if we could also hold at least the panel at other cons, including MEW (I posted in the MEW thread and will ask Andie) and Kumoricon (I'm thus asking you, Jaki).

There are definitely folks in our Doctor Who 2011 Cosplay thread who are interested.

Basically folks brought rare, valuable memorabilia to share, had mini trivia quizzes, we had some cosplayers (there would be more at Kumori than Ory), we shared filks (there was a fanfic, but it had to be saved for Erotic Bedtime Stories), spoke of our favorite Doctors and episodes, told tales of attending Time Cons or otherwise meeting the cast, talked about the spin-off shows, described our fan creations (including a remote controlled replica of K-9!), etc.

That was for the Orycon audience. For the Kumoricon audience, we would also want to give some introductory info, for folks not yet sharing our addictionfandom, maybe add a tie-in contest or two (I'd love to give quirky fandom-related prizes, e.g., corsages of celery a la the lapel pin of the 5th Doctor). Given, it's not anime, but the fact is, the Doctor Who fandom is similar to Firefly's Browncoats in that it was the fans, and fan creation products (including canon and non canon fanfics), that kept the franchise alive to blossom further after the original canon series was no longer on TV. Doctor Who was kept alive via such projects as audio books and comics, and by fan conventions and fanfics. That aspect truly makes me think of Doctor Who's
regeneration (if you will   ;))into the phenomenal "nuWho" circa 2005+, as its own fan creation, especially since so many involved in the regenesis were fans of the original. So that would be an aspect I would want to highlight, if we are given the greenlight to submit this panel.

I would understand if there are already too many panels or if it not being anime or manga (albeit there are oodles of comics) rules it out. But I do believe it would be well-attended and well-received, if permitted.

Thanks for your time <--no pun intended,
Love,
Rem.

PS Anyone interested in the filks shared at Orycon, PM me!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 08:18:54 am by RemSaverem »
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
Re: Tiptoe Through the TARDIS: A Doctor Who Fandom Celebration
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:27:58 pm »
Just throwing it out there, but I'd be all up for this panel.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 09:45:59 pm »
Thanks, Winfred! :)
Who's your favorite Doctor? Do you have a favorite episode? Do you also watch Torchwood?
It was interesting: I asked the audience, who here also loves Torchwood? About 40% raised their hands. Then Mouse asked, who here loves Doctor Who but does not love Torchwood? And about 10 people raised their hands. I hadn't known there'd be that contingent.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 03:13:17 pm »
OH DANG, I guess either 9 or 10, mostly because I've watched a lot of those seasons. I think I like the two-parter with the gas mask kid the best! ALSO yes Torchwood is pretty sweet too, though I've only seen a bit of it. But huh, I guess liking one didn't necessitate liking the other, too. Crrraaazy!

Anyhoo! Wooooo panel wooooo.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 03:27:40 pm »
You're referring to two of my absolute all-time favorite episodes of tv from any genre:
The Empty Child & The Doctor Dances.
Among other things, they introduced to us Captain Jack Harkness! Yes! *sizzle sound*

Are you coming to MEW? We are running this panel again, 4:15pm-5pm Sunday, January 2nd!

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 03:58:04 pm »
As one of the largest semi-local Whovians, I would love to not only go to this panel but to help out :D
(which I know we've talked about in the Doctor Who cosplay thread, but I thought I should probably bring it up in here as well :3)
I also know a lot of both original who and nuWho fans that would love to go and/or help out with it.
WE CAN BE GOOD RESOURCES AS WELL AS REALLY COOL HELPFUL PEOPLE =3=
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 03:58:59 pm »
As one of the largest semi-local Whovians, I would love to not only go to this panel but to help out :D
(which I know we've talked about in the Doctor Who cosplay thread, but I thought I should probably bring it up in here as well :3)
I also know a lot of both original who and nuWho fans that would love to go and/or help out with it.
WE CAN BE GOOD RESOURCES AS WELL AS REALLY COOL HELPFUL PEOPLE =3=
Awesome!
(Of course, we don't know if KC will approve it....but it will be at OryCon & MEW Con.)
Will you be at MEW?

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 04:01:42 pm »
The way it's looking right now, it seems I won't be going to MEW (much to my disappointment).
Though if you did it at Kumoricon or Orycon next year, I would gladly help.
It is going to be...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 04:45:53 pm »
OryCon is definitely happening!
Kumoricon, well, that's up to Jaki. But heck yeah, you're aboard if we're a go!

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 05:00:02 pm »
Okay!
Sounds perfect to me :D
It is going to be...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 04:44:50 pm »
Okay!
Sounds perfect to me :D
:D
Do you know anyone going to MEW who'd want to come?
Oh, & personally, I've now watched through "The Doctor's Daughter" :D (plus all the post-series-4 specials....out of order, by accident).

Offline Winfred

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 08:40:14 pm »
You're referring to two of my absolute all-time favorite episodes of tv from any genre:
The Empty Child & The Doctor Dances.
Among other things, they introduced to us Captain Jack Harkness! Yes! *sizzle sound*

Are you coming to MEW? We are running this panel again, 4:15pm-5pm Sunday, January 2nd!

ARGH BLARGH WHY DIDN'T I GO TO MEWCON blarrgghhhh

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 10:40:36 pm »
It.Was.Awesome. There were nearly 30 people there (including us 5 panelists). People brought books, sang and played songs, named favorite doctors, companions, episodes that induced fear, tears or cheers. Remote-control Daleks invaded! Cosplays included Rose from The Empty Child, the 8th Doctor, & the 11th with Amy.