Author Topic: Question re: Manga Library  (Read 2156 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Question re: Manga Library
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:54:43 pm »
I was wondering if there is a section in the Manga Library for books written in English that are any of the following, because I have seen some at used book stores that if I end up with the $ I wouldn't mind getting & donating, & if I don't end up with the $, if they are in the Manga Library, I would try to make time to hop by & peruse them. If these are beyond the intended scope of the Manga Library, that, of course, is also fine.

(1) Books or scholarly articles in English that are meta-analyses of manga. History of manga, cultural subtexts, etc., such as are listed here:
https://carmenwiki.osu.edu/display/libraries/Manga+Analysis
(2) Books in English that are guides to help people decide what manga to read, reviews of massive # of them, such as:
http://www.amazon.com/Manga-Complete-Guide-Jason-Thompson/dp/0345485904
(3) Instruction manuals on learning to create manga, such as:
http://www.curledup.com/mangaart.htm

Thanks.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
Re: Question re: Manga Library
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:28:02 am »
I think we might have one or two on how to draw manga, but for the most part our books are art books or just manga.  I don't know if there would be much call for the other two mentioned.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:30:36 pm »
Thanks.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:39:43 pm »
I can see there being a lot of interest, but don't know that such books would be very useful over the course of just a weekend.  A few pointers could be found, maybe...

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 10:28:28 am »
My thought had been, sometimes there are people who come to con who are brand new to otaku subculture. Maybe they've been to other kinds of cons and are at their first anime con. Maybe they are just there as a parent or guardian and haven't ever read a manga themselves. Anyway I was thinking Manga Library has this nice quiet peaceful vibe that might be a comfy starting point for some people, and anything that was in the room that could help bridge a total newbie into finding manga they'd like could be helpful. I know if I had walked in at my first con 8 years ago, never having yet read a manga, I would've had no clue which volume to select. Maybe a basic handout or poster with some key words and definitions of genres and some examples of titles of each or something would be a simple orientation, rather than a big published compendium of summaries/reviews.