Poll

Where has your favorite venue for Kumoricon been?

Clarion Hotel. Springfield, Oregon
0 (0%)
Portland Marriott. Downtown Portland, Oregon
2 (5.6%)
Doubletree Hotel. Portland-Lloyd Center Portland, Oregon
19 (52.8%)
Red Lion on the River. Portland, Oregon
1 (2.8%)
Vancouver Hilton and Convention Center Vancouver, Washington
10 (27.8%)
he Hilton Portland and Executive Tower Portland, Oregon
4 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Favorite Kumoricon locations  (Read 3684 times)

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
Favorite Kumoricon locations
« on: September 08, 2010, 05:32:24 am »
So tell us, where has your favorite Kumoricon been? Any particular reason wy? Range anywhere from venue size to hotel staff to favorite cosplays W/E I only ask that you don't Bash Kumoricon staff for there choices in venue as they work very hard to make this con Rock.
For me I'd have to say the Hilton since I have only gone there.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Favorite Kumoricon locations
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:14:21 am »
07 was my first year and I really liked the layout of the Hilton then. I also liked the Double Tree but I do remember the hallways being a tad bit too small. I say the Vancouver Hilton is my favorite. Plus there is a great park to take pictures right across the street. There is more variation in that park then there is at the park next to the double tree.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 09:19:47 am »
I've been attending since 2006, and the Vancouver Hilton in 2007 was definitely my favorite venue. It was both horizontally spacious and provided with an abundance of open scenery outside of the hotel. Being literally across the street from a considerably large park, with water features and monuments, just provides so perfectly for cosplay photo shoots and meet-ups, or just for hanging out. It was very nice to have lots of "wandering room", as it were, and I think the Vancouver Hilton definitely offered the best in this area, of all Kumoricon's venues.

It also was not a very tall hotel, which was great as elevators never took a cruelly long time to arrive anywhere.

Really, Vancouver Hilton just has it going on, and I'm so happy to know we're returning there next!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 06:23:24 pm »
Doubletree, followed by the Vancouver location.

Offline childofthemoor

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 07:54:19 pm »
I've only been to the Portland Hilton and the Double Tree, and I can say, I LOVED the Double Tree. Not only was Lloyd Center close, but the park was big, the place was nice, as were the staff...they even let us play the piano! I haven't been to the Vancouver Hilton (for a convention), but I've hung out quite a bit at Esther Short Park and I bet it's going to be just as good.

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have been going for longer than I have, what has been your least favorite convention spot?
'09 Yuna (Songstress), Lust
'10 Toph (Fire Nation)
'11 Suki (Kyoshi Warrior)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 08:01:25 pm »
Out of curiosity, for those of you who have been going for longer than I have, what has been your least favorite convention spot?

PORTLAND HILTON! Grahdigumyah! Definitely the Downtown Portland Hilton. Too small, too compact inside and too boring outside (Downtown Portland is just too populated and busy to be able to accomplish anything photoshoot-wise, in my opinion).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline childofthemoor

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 08:08:46 pm »

PORTLAND HILTON! Grahdigumyah! Definitely the Downtown Portland Hilton. Too small, too compact inside and too boring outside (Downtown Portland is just too populated and busy to be able to accomplish anything photoshoot-wise, in my opinion).

My thoughts exactly. I was so disappointed when I found out we were going to be there for two years, my first year being at the Double Tree and all. :(
'10 Toph (Fire Nation)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:13:43 pm »

My thoughts exactly. I was so disappointed when I found out we were going to be there for two years, my first year being at the Double Tree and all. :(

Yeah, that's why I didn't attend this year (2010), and why I'm super eager for next year. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline childofthemoor

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 08:16:09 pm »

Yeah, that's why I didn't attend this year (2010), and why I'm super eager for next year. ^_^

Awww, it was still a lot of fun though. Way better than last year (everyone was more prepared, I think).
'10 Toph (Fire Nation)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 08:25:56 pm »

Awww, it was still a lot of fun though. Way better than last year (everyone was more prepared, I think).

I've read that this year went a lot better, I just didn't want to pay money and register on a risk of disappointment. I wanted to be sure that I'd have fun, and with the location, I just wasn't sure of that. But, it's in the past and we're returning to a location I know I enjoy, so that's all good. ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 12:01:23 am »
HANDS DOWN
Double-Tree by Llyod Center

Simple and easy to navigate layout
Nice park RIGHT across the street
And the mall is RIGHT there!!!

I LOVE this location!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:02:48 am by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 02:38:56 am »
It seems the General consensus byna landslide is the Doubletree at the Lloyd center. Does anybody know why they chose not to do it there anymore?
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 02:40:00 am »
I imagine the convention has outgrown that location. ^^

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 09:13:21 am »
It's just too small now. Even in 2008, the con was barely able to fit inside the hotel. The hallways were being choked, and if I remember right there were only two elevators, you think the Hilton was bad, try going back to the Doubletree with our 3,000+ new attendants. Nightmare.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:13:35 am by EveofAbyss »

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Hanamaru

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 12:10:09 pm »
Aww, I really liked the DoubleTree, too >3<
I dunno, I guess it felt a lot more welcoming of us cosplayers, plus the park was right there xD

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 12:32:11 pm »
Probably gonna have to say Double Tree.  I had a lot of fun there when it was our first year there.  I am looking forward to the Vancouver Hilton though as that was the first year I had to miss due to Grad School.