Author Topic: Whats a yojimbo?  (Read 3946 times)

Offline SgtGhostAlecMW2

• Cabbit
Whats a yojimbo?
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:00:01 pm »
Hello

do any of you know whats a yojimbo and what does it mean in japanese?
Cosplays i plan to go as at kumoricon:

Offline Imposer12

• Cabbit
Re: Whats a yojimbo?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:24:09 pm »
X

« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 12:59:44 am by Imposer12 »

Offline SgtGhostAlecMW2

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 08:51:12 pm »
ok thanks i am just asking
Cosplays i plan to go as at kumoricon:

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 12:46:40 pm »
Yojimbo are the people running around con wearing the red sashes or red haori.
We are there to help you out, if you've ever been to Sakuracon, the 'Sakuracon Attendee Services' is pretty much the equivalent of a Yoji.
If you have questions, need directions, need help whatever it may be. You are more then welcome to ask one of us Yoji.
We are also the one who make sure people have badges, do the minor sweep during curfew, etc..
We are here to make your con as enjoyable as possible!

Translated, it means Bodyguard/Security, which is NOT actually what we are. We are a all volunteer group (As is the entire con staff), vary few of us are certified to do security work (Yes now a days you actually have to be certified by the state of Oregon to do bodyguard and security work), which is why we have private security and the hotel security around!
But, the name is cool.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 01:56:22 pm by LexManos »

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:32:41 am »
Yojimbo are the people running around con wearing the red sashes or red haori.

If you're not familiar with a haori, it's a kimono-type jacket with long "under-sleeves". It's what Kenshin wears in Rurouni Kenshin, though most of the yojis wear something underneath. (Most. Sometimes, we have trouble even getting them to wear that much.  ;) *cough kilts and towels cough*)

The yojimbo aren't required to wear sashes or haori, and sometimes they don't - especially when the temperature is a little high, you have to climb a lot of stairs, and the hotel's A/C doesn't seem to be working particularly well. They usually do, though, for the sake of being easily recognizable when someone needs help.

Translated, it means Bodyguard/Security, which is NOT actually what we are. We are a all volunteer group (As is the entire con staff), vary few of us are certified to do security work (Yes now a days you actually have to be certified by the state of Oregon to do bodyguard and security work), which is why we have private security and the hotel security around!
But, the name is cool.

This.

Just for reference, as LexManos says, staff is all-volunteer - our reward is seeing fellow con-goers have a great time and make wonderful memories, not the other way around. It may be hard to believe when they have to ask you not to do something, but the yojis really and truly don't like enforcing silly rules or making people unhappy. (People who do don't belong in the yojimbo, and they don't stay in the yojimbo.)

The reason they're there is because someone has to enforce the rules, and it's worlds better when that someone is part of the anime fandom rather than someone who sees us as weirdos to be barely tolerated. I think almost anyone who went to Kumoricon 2009 knows how much of a difference that makes.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:22:36 am »

But, the name is cool.

Last year yoji's were security, but due to certain individuals and staff shortages, we basically had to turn yoji's into crowd control, customer assistance, and rule enforcement.
=^_^=

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:37:06 am »
According to my Japanese friends Yojimbo specifacally refers to an Anti hero in a novel or play. the two most recocnizable uses being Musashi Yojimbo, the story of a real life Rhonin who lived in the early 1600's and rose to fame as Musashi Miyamoto oft considered the greatest Japanese swordsman to ever live even surpassing Jagyu Jubei in skill and fame. the other most often recognised use of it would be Usagi Yojimbo an anime and manga about a rabbit samurai.  In General I saw only a few Yojimbo in Haori however ironically one of the ones i did ee was dressed as Roruni Kenshinlol. she was awesome.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 05:23:42 pm »
Last year yoji's were security, but due to certain individuals and staff shortages, we basically had to turn yoji's into crowd control, customer assistance, and rule enforcement.

They were never security, which was always clear on an official level, but there were perceptions that they were like security which we worked more to change since last year.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 02:29:13 pm »
According to my Japanese friends Yojimbo specifacally refers to an Anti hero in a novel or play. the two most recocnizable uses being Musashi Yojimbo, the story of a real life Rhonin who lived in the early 1600's and rose to fame as Musashi Miyamoto oft considered the greatest Japanese swordsman to ever live even surpassing Jagyu Jubei in skill and fame. the other most often recognised use of it would be Usagi Yojimbo an anime and manga about a rabbit samurai.  In General I saw only a few Yojimbo in Haori however ironically one of the ones i did ee was dressed as Roruni Kenshinlol. she was awesome.

That's awesome, and somewhat fitting to our Yojimbo.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Czarcasm

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:50:14 pm »
Kumoricon without Yojimbo=Engine without Lubrication.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 03:22:51 pm »
I got curious enough to look it up: 用心棒, AKA ようじんぼう (hiragana) or youjinbou (romaji, but yojimbo is more accurate phonetically), does literally mean "bodyguard".

But I don't doubt that connotatively it could imply an anti-hero, in the same way that "soldier of fortune" could imply an anti-hero in English.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Ichi_Kagetora

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 05:08:18 pm »
Ah. I like the literal translation. My source was an actual Japanese person who remarked on the book I was reaiding and pointed out that in lituerature thats what the reference is when using the term Yojimbo, that the main character will be an anti hero.
When I am chasing my tail and catch my back leg instead, I will not bite down on my foot. This hurts, and my scream scares my human.

"Princess Yue doesn't need Appa: she's the moon, she can fly by herself."